9 current Jets players who will significantly impact the team’s draft strategy…

1.  Here is a problem, the Jets do not draft guards, they draft tackles and then say, oh if he can't play tackle we move him to guard.  Neither of these two guys is a good guard candidate.  Warren might turn out to be a starter at some point, mitchell to me is strictly a back up swing tackle.

Re the draft?  DRAFT A DAMN REAL GUARD!

2.  Ruckert is under used and Kuntz has promise if they give him a chance.  Neither guy will affect us drafting a high end guy like bowers but both of these guys and yeboah make it so we should not draft a TE in this draft.

3. We have no clue about this guy at all, we know nothing.   He needs to show something big time this year.   The jets biggest need on D for me right now is a cheap vet S in the last of FA.  I do not want to draft S in this draft.

4. Wilson is gone.  The jets will use a mid to late pick on a developmental QB.

5. I liked it when we draft Abankianda but he showed a bit less than I hoped.  Hopefully he has worked on things holding him back like blocking and ball security.  I do think we should draft a RB in the mid to late rounds.

6. Simply did not show enough in his playing time last year for me to have real hopes for him.  The Jets need to draft TWO wrs in this draft.

7. He actually caught my eye in last years camp and ex games, looked better than I thought he would.  Hopefully he takes a step.  The jets will undoubtedly use a pick on some small fast lb tweener like they do every year it seem.

• Upvote 4

Kind of hope they keep 10 OL.

Draft a guard round 3 or 4 to put next to Schweitzer (G/C).  AVT unfortunately hasn’t proven he can stay healthy so depth here is critical.

Draft or sign a ready now swing OT.  Probably not smart to count on Warren or Mitchell (yet), especially on the blind side.

Keep both Warren & Mitchell.  Both have good feet to be effective pass blockers but need to add core strength, Mitchell in particular who was likely not at full strength last year on the heels of his lung issue.  He’s kind of like a redshirt sophomore.

I’d re-sign Ashtyn in a heartbeat with Converse as the 4th Safety.

Izzy hasn’t proven he can pass block amd has questionable hands.  Really didn’t like this pick.  Seems like his value is change of pace home run hitter.

Big year for Ruckert who did not grade well last year as a blocker.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Kind of hope they keep 10 OL.

Draft a guard round 3 or 4 to put next to Schweitzer (G/C).  AVT unfortunately hasn’t proven he can stay healthy so depth here is critical.

Draft or sign a ready now swing OT.  Probably not smart to count on Warren or Mitchell (yet), especially on the blind side.

Keep both Warren & Mitchell.  Both have good feet to be effective pass blockers but need to add core strength, Mitchell in particular who was likely not at full strength last year on the heels of his lung issue.  He’s kind of like a redshirt sophomore.

I’d re-sign Ashtyn in a heartbeat with Converse as the 4th Safety.

Izzy hasn’t proven he can pass block amd has questionable hands.  Really didn’t like this pick.  Seems like his value is change of pace home run hitter.

Big year for Ruckert who did not grade well last year as a blocker.  

All three are better blockers than Bowers.  Ruckert is infinitely better catching

the ball in a crowd and a more forceful blocker. Cuntz is stronger ( tied for

the lead @ 225 and power clean 375), has the frame to carry 275lbs. caught

73 balls in a season, a feat Bowers has not come close to matching. 

Academically more imposing, faster and can far outleap BB.

BB & Kenny Yeboah both played against Alabama, Bowers caught

5 for 53 yds, Kenny Y caught 7 for 181 yards and 2 TDs and is a feistier

blocker.     Our roster TEs have as much or more potential as BB  (same

initials as the New England thief) They need refinement and I'm

sure coach Aaron will provide it. Theo Johnson offers a more

physical package and might be around in the third or fourth

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, hmhertz said:

All three are better blockers than Bowers.  Ruckert is infinitely better catching

Bowers is so far above what we have right now it is ridiculous as far as an offensive weapons goes, however i have no doubt that our oc and coach rodgers view all TEs the same and will use the same logic you are using to downgrade the weapon that is brock bowers.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1. Carter Warren & Max Mitchell OL - A pair of 4th round draftees who have shown some potential and versatility. If the Jets see one or both as potential starters or at least quality backups, that could influence not only the pick at #10, but open up mid round picks for other positions
  2. Jeremy Ruckert & Zach Kuntz TE - Nobody would claim Ruckert or Kuntz are the dynamic playmakers that Brock Bowers is, but if the team thinks they are legit receiving options and red zone threats, they might feel comfortable going in a different direction at #10 and even ignore TE altogether 
  3. Jarrick Bernard-Converse S - Athletic and productive college DB who spent most of last year on the PUP list.  If he can play significant minutes in 2024 and backup both safety spots, the Jets will be able to skip safety in the draft
  4. Zach Wilson QB - Nobody expects Zach Wilson to return in 2024. The most likely scenario seems to be a draft day trade.  If they can trade him, and what they can get for him, will have an impact on the Jets draft strategy - if Joe Douglass can get a 3rd rounder for him, we would all take that deal right now. There are salary considerations that would have to be worked out. Even a Day 3 pick salary dump might be acceptable.
  5. Israel Abanikanda RB - Breece Hall is great, but a series of potential backups have proven to be failures. Izzy Abanikanda showed some potential in his brief appearances in 2023.  There’s no doubt he can contribute, but is he a true RB #2 or a change of pace/3rd down back? If the Jets don’t draft a RB in 2024, that would suggest they feel good about Izzy. If they spend a 3rd rounder on a RB, that will say a lot, too.
  6. Jason Brownlee WR - Big UDFA who was a star of training camp but only caught 5 passes in 2023.  Is he just a product of “Hard Knocks” hype or an actual contender for WR #4?  Will have no bearing on pick #10, but if the Jets take an OL or TE at #10 and go without picking any WRs in the draft, it MAY be a sign that Brownlee is in their plans 
  7. Zaire Barnes LB - 2023 6th rounder who looked good in training camp but battled injuries and only appeared in 4 games.  With Jamien Sherwood seemingly a solid backup, if the Jets think Barnes is also a player, we can ignore LB.  On the other hand, if the Jets takes a LB in the 3rd or 4th rounds, that will be a bad sign for Barnes.

great post sarge - thanks!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

18 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:
  1. Carter Warren & Max Mitchell OL - A pair of 4th round draftees who have shown some potential and versatility. If the Jets see one or both as potential starters or at least quality backups, that could influence not only the pick at #10, but open up mid round picks for other positions
  2. Jeremy Ruckert & Zach Kuntz TE - Nobody would claim Ruckert or Kuntz are the dynamic playmakers that Brock Bowers is, but if the team thinks they are legit receiving options and red zone threats, they might feel comfortable going in a different direction at #10 and even ignore TE altogether 
  3. Jarrick Bernard-Converse S - Athletic and productive college DB who spent most of last year on the PUP list.  If he can play significant minutes in 2024 and backup both safety spots, the Jets will be able to skip safety in the draft
  4. Zach Wilson QB - Nobody expects Zach Wilson to return in 2024. The most likely scenario seems to be a draft day trade.  If they can trade him, and what they can get for him, will have an impact on the Jets draft strategy - if Joe Douglass can get a 3rd rounder for him, we would all take that deal right now. There are salary considerations that would have to be worked out. Even a Day 3 pick salary dump might be acceptable.
  5. Israel Abanikanda RB - Breece Hall is great, but a series of potential backups have proven to be failures. Izzy Abanikanda showed some potential in his brief appearances in 2023.  There’s no doubt he can contribute, but is he a true RB #2 or a change of pace/3rd down back? If the Jets don’t draft a RB in 2024, that would suggest they feel good about Izzy. If they spend a 3rd rounder on a RB, that will say a lot, too.
  6. Jason Brownlee WR - Big UDFA who was a star of training camp but only caught 5 passes in 2023.  Is he just a product of “Hard Knocks” hype or an actual contender for WR #4?  Will have no bearing on pick #10, but if the Jets take an OL or TE at #10 and go without picking any WRs in the draft, it MAY be a sign that Brownlee is in their plans 
  7. Zaire Barnes LB - 2023 6th rounder who looked good in training camp but battled injuries and only appeared in 4 games.  With Jamien Sherwood seemingly a solid backup, if the Jets think Barnes is also a player, we can ignore LB.  On the other hand, if the Jets takes a LB in the 3rd or 4th rounds, that will be a bad sign for Barnes.

Wow.  All of the above just takes the wind out of any confidence I might have had.

(1) above - no I doubt either is seen confidently as a potential starter.
(2) How can the team see them as "legit" receiving options? Does JDs magic 8 ball say so?
(3) This at safety. He's a nice prospect. Can't rely on it alone, however.  Must draft safety in mid rounds at this point. Jets are deficient there.
(4) 3rd rounder? Since when do you drink-and-post? It's cut or keep for Zach. I'm hoping it's cut and not keep.
(5) Draft or bring in a cast off vet.. but not like Cook this time. Hopeful for Izzy but can't rely.
(6) Wouldn't it be great if there were enough good WRs on the roster where Brownlee doesn't make the cut? Not likely.  I think he stays.  Just a hunch.
(7) Hopeful for Barnes TBH. No idea what JD/Salad do at this position. Restructured Mosley, IIRC?  Somewhere in the future they will need to replace. I can't see investing 3rd or even 4th unless they see some incredible value there. ???

18 hours ago, BCJet said:

This staff LOVES using veterans regardless of their terrible production (see CJ Uzmah and Dalvin Cook)

Cook had 67 carrys in his Jets career.  What’s that just under 4 carrys per game?

19 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Zach Wilson QB- if Joe Douglass can get a 3rd rounder for him, we would all take that deal right now. There are salary considerations that would have to be worked out. Even a Day 3 pick salary dump might be acceptable.

Hilarious Powerball Memes - Gallery | eBaum's World

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, hmhertz said:

This is just flat out retarded.

• Upvote 2

I like converse’s versatility but I consider him a bit of a question mark. Would not keep me from investing in another safety.

I’ve read that the jets are high on Warren. I wonder if the jets are looking more for IOL help. 

• Upvote 1

From what I read, the Jets do think highly of Carter Warren.

There's no way ZW is getting us a 3rd rounder

Izzy imo was a disappointment.  Maybe the reason he fell in the draft because his game is incomplete.  It sounded like they couldn't put him on the field due to not being a good enough pass blocker.  If he can't figure that out then we might need to draft his replacement.  We definitely do need a 2nd good RB option.

I'm interested to see if Brownlee can become anything. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

1.  Here is a problem, the Jets do not draft guards, they draft tackles and then say, oh if he can't play tackle we move him to guard.  Neither of these two guys is a good guard candidate.  Warren might turn out to be a starter at some point, mitchell to me is strictly a back up swing tackle.

They literally traded back into the first round to draft avt at guard.

1. Warren is a legitimate backup at tackle, but Max Mitchell regressed last season.  I believe he will be on the bubble to even make the team this year.  If that is the case, I believe drafting a tackle is even more important, knowing that both of these tackles will miss games.

2.  While Ruckert and Kunz will not prevent the Jets from drafting the #1 tight end in this years draft, I believe that Tyler Conklin will prevent the Jets from drafting a tight end at #10.  Conklin is a proven commodity, only 29 years old, and has 2 years left on his contract.  I do believe that Ruckert is a backup that the Jets continue to believe in, and would like to continue with his development.  I will state right now, that the Jets will absolutely not draft the tight end position at #10 this year.  There is a lot to like about Bowers, he is without a doubt a great receiving threat, but not a top 10 draft position.  I will make a guess that he will be drafted around the 15th pick.

3.  There will be a lot of quality safety's in the middle rounds of this years draft, and I would not be surprised if the Jets draft one in the later rounds.  I don't think Bernard-Converse will change that, and it still might be possible for the Jets to reunite with Ashtyn Davis, who had his best season last year.

4. Zach Wilson is gone.  He will either be cut, or perhaps we can get a 6th round pick, while giving up a 7th round pick.  I think that is the best we can do at this point.

5. I like Abanikanda, but I can see the Jets drafting a running back in round 4 or later.

6.  The Jets will pick up at least 1 wide receiver in this years draft, and Brownlee will probably be cut as a late cut before opening day.  I think a lot depends on what happens with Lazard.   Garrett Wilson, Mike Williams, Xavier Gibson, 2024 draft pick, Allan Lazard.   Lazard will determine a lot.

7.  As long as Barnes can stay healthy, my feeling is that he is a keeper for 2024.  As you say, he only played in 4 games last year, and the Jets didn't draft him to get rid of him before he gets a real chance.  But getting a linebacker in the later rounds is certainly a possibility.

• Upvote 1

Good points.  I don’t think Zach figures into their draft plans at all.  If he’s not on the roster then at worst he’s a practice squad player and takes up a spot there.  I think I’d add Suratt to the lb mix/need.  They seem to be okay at lb for the moment.  Maybe what Ashtyn Davis does has some effect or even hardee.  Those guys were both good special teasers and Davis seems to have a nose for the ball.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

They literally traded back into the first round to draft avt at guard.

one 'guard' who has played a lot of tackle, becasue he can play tackle. (in like 5 drafts)

Most or all of our mid to lower round guys have been tackles, with tackle bodies, that if they fail at tackle cant play guard.  We just signed a strictly guard free agent in Simpson.

Clark, mitchell, warren all tackles they try and shoe horn into guard when guys get hurt.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

1. Warren is a legitimate backup at tackle, but Max Mitchell regressed last season.  I believe he will be on the bubble to even make the team this year.  If that is the case, I believe drafting a tackle is even more important, knowing that both of these tackles will miss games.

2.  While Ruckert and Kunz will not prevent the Jets from drafting the #1 tight end in this years draft, I believe that Tyler Conklin will prevent the Jets from drafting a tight end at #10.  Conklin is a proven commodity, only 29 years old, and has 2 years left on his contract.  I do believe that Ruckert is a backup that the Jets continue to believe in, and would like to continue with his development.  I will state right now, that the Jets will absolutely not draft the tight end position at #10 this year.  There is a lot to like about Bowers, he is without a doubt a great receiving threat, but not a top 10 draft position.  I will make a guess that he will be drafted around the 15th pick.

3.  There will be a lot of quality safety's in the middle rounds of this years draft, and I would not be surprised if the Jets draft one in the later rounds.  I don't think Bernard-Converse will change that, and it still might be possible for the Jets to reunite with Ashtyn Davis, who had his best season last year.

4. Zach Wilson is gone.  He will either be cut, or perhaps we can get a 6th round pick, while giving up a 7th round pick.  I think that is the best we can do at this point.

5. I like Abanikanda, but I can see the Jets drafting a running back in round 4 or later.

6.  The Jets will pick up at least 1 wide receiver in this years draft, and Brownlee will probably be cut as a late cut before opening day.  I think a lot depends on what happens with Lazard.   Garrett Wilson, Mike Williams, Xavier Gibson, 2024 draft pick, Allan Lazard.   Lazard will determine a lot.

7.  As long as Barnes can stay healthy, my feeling is that he is a keeper for 2024.  As you say, he only played in 4 games last year, and the Jets didn't draft him to get rid of him before he gets a real chance.  But getting a linebacker in the later rounds is certainly a possibility.

curb your enthusiasm GIF

I would add that drafting 2 WRs is not completely out of the question because there are so many good ones in this draft and then you have to consider Irv Charles, who was so good on specials last year (the Jets didn't retain Hardee), so the WR depth could be that much harder to break if you are Brownlee. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

2.  Ruckert is under used and Kuntz has promise if they give him a chance.  Neither guy will affect us drafting a high end guy like bowers but both of these guys and yeboah make it so we should not draft a TE in this draft.

3. We have no clue about this guy at all, we know nothing.   He needs to show something big time this year.   The jets biggest need on D for me right now is a cheap vet S in the last of FA.  I do not want to draft S in this draft.

4. Wilson is gone.  The jets will use a mid to late pick on a developmental QB.

5. I liked it when we draft Abankianda but he showed a bit less than I hoped.  Hopefully he has worked on things holding him back like blocking and ball security.  I do think we should draft a RB in the mid to late rounds.

6. Simply did not show enough in his playing time last year for me to have real hopes for him.  The Jets need to draft TWO wrs in this draft.

7. He actually caught my eye in last years camp and ex games, looked better than I thought he would.  Hopefully he takes a step.  The jets will undoubtedly use a pick on some small fast lb tweener like they do every year it seem.

Didn't we draft AVT a guard?

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Here is a problem, the Jets do not draft guards, they draft tackles and then say, oh if he can't play tackle we move him to guard.

Eh, not sure that's 100% accurate. I think JD just prefers to find Gs in FA. It seems like he views the G position as something he can can address in FA with a proven player without spending a ton of money on. And he's gotten backup G's in FA and via trade that way as well. Off the scrap heap and for peanuts via trade. 

And then there's AVT who may have been a T in college but was drafted to play G. He wasn't really drafted to be a T and then moved to G like you are suggesting the Jets do all the time. 

It seems to me like the only reason the Jets do that (move a guy from T to G) is due to injury. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Eh, not sure that's 100% accurate. I think JD just prefers to find Gs in FA. It seems like he views the G position as something he can can address in FA with a proven player without spending a ton of money on. And he's gotten backup G's in FA and via trade that way as well. Off the scrap heap and for peanuts via trade. 

And then there's AVT who may have been a T in college but was drafted to play G. He wasn't really drafted to be a T and then moved to G like you are suggesting the Jets do all the time. 

It seems to me like the only reason the Jets do that (move a guy from T to G) is due to injury. 

Cheaper?   It is cheaper to draft a true guard and have him pan out than to cycle through guys like thomlinson and simpson.

20 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Didn't we draft AVT a guard?

He played tackle in college, he has played a fair bit of tackle in the pros.   If drafting one guard in like 5 years is good I am not sure what to say when every year Douglas is drafting jag RBS, small linebackers and CB/S and such.  

Simpson, not super expensive but not cheap, Thomlinson super expensive.

Draft a true guard we have the picks each year we simply do not draft true guards often enough.

Our recent tackles picks, neither is good enough to play tackle, neither has the skills or body to play guard.  Becton was never a guy you could shift to guard.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

I would add that drafting 2 WRs is not completely out of the question because there are so many good ones in this draft

I was thinking the same thing.  Why not?  

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

Good points.  I don’t think Zach figures into their draft plans at all.  If he’s not on the roster then at worst he’s a practice squad player and takes up a spot there.  I think I’d add Suratt to the lb mix/need.  They seem to be okay at lb for the moment.  Maybe what Ashtyn Davis does has some effect or even hardee.  Those guys were both good special teasers and Davis seems to have a nose for the ball.

Zach cannot be put on the practice squad. Why do people keep saying this? That is not an option

13 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Zach cannot be put on the practice squad. Why do people keep saying this? That is not an option

Unfortunately for the anti zachers it is an option until it no longer is one.  I’m pretty sure saleh doesn’t want him around but they have to pay him and unless they’re willing to take a hit to move him he’ll be staying.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

Unfortunately for the anti zachers it is an option until it no longer is one.  I’m pretty sure saleh doesn’t want him around but they have to pay him and unless they’re willing to take a hit to move him he’ll be staying.

It's not an option within the salary cap structure at all. They would have to release him

On 3/23/2024 at 3:59 PM, Beerfish said:

This commentary seems ultra strange to me.  The Jets traded up in 2021 to draft a guard in the top half of the 1st round.  Right there they probably have expended more draft capital at G than any other team in the NFL since 2020.  They were paying Tomlinson a ton who was a top tier FA.  Now they put some solid money into Simpson.  Acting like they ignore guard seems off.  It probably bothers you, but Tippman was a top 5 G prospect last year.

• Upvote 1

I think a RB2 is more important then finding a WR4, TE3 or a swing reserve T prospect.

Israel Abanikanda wasn't impressive in his limited carries. Nor does he has a pass blocking frame. If Hall for what ever reason got banged up we're now a one dimensional team. 

This is certainly if we're going for it all of course. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, rangerous said:

As @JohnnyLV has said, he won't be on the practice squad.  These guys have done a ton of stupid things, but that would literally be the single stupidest thing done by this organization in my memory.  You cannot be put on the practice squad until you first clear waivers.  If they waive Zach and another team picks him up, they have effectively traded him without getting any compensation.  Which would be fine.  Great even.

If he clears waivers he can sign with any team's active roster or practice squad, but would get new money on top of his guarantee which the Jets would be paying as dead money.  If the Jets pay him $5.4M in dead money and then carry him on the practice squad paying him another $20k/week I will ******* lose it.  He will be traded, cut or on the active roster.  Again.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

As @JohnnyLV has said, he won't be on the practice squad.  These guys have done a ton of stupid things, but that would literally be the single stupidest thing done by this organization in my memory.  You cannot be put on the practice squad until you first clear waivers.  If they waive Zach and another team picks him up, they have effectively traded him without getting any compensation.  Which would be fine.  Great even.

If he clears waivers he can sign with any team's active roster or practice squad, but would get new money on top of his guarantee which the Jets would be paying as dead money.  If the Jets pay him $5.4M in dead money and then carry him on the practice squad paying him another $20k/week I will ******* lose it.  He will be traded, cut or on the active roster.  Again.

ok, i stand corrected.  I was mainly trying to point out that zach being on the team is still an option until he's traded.  i think it's safe to say he won't be released outright at this point.

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This commentary seems ultra strange to me.  The Jets traded up in 2021 to draft a guard in the top half of the 1st round.  Right there they probably have expended more draft capital at G than any other team in the NFL since 2020.  They were paying Tomlinson a ton who was a top tier FA.  Now they put some solid money into Simpson.  Acting like they ignore guard seems off.  It probably bothers you, but Tippman was a top 5 G prospect last year.

look in this thread for my numerous rebuttables to this.

We just had to sign a guard because we do not draft or develop them.  Simpson is a guard through and though, not a tackle, not a center a guard just like thomlinosn, we are paying gurads a lot instead of drafting them.

AVT was a tackle coming in that was moved to guard.

The solution seems to be draft tackles and then move them to guard which they cant play.  (mitchell and warren)

Draft a Center and then say oh we will just move him to guard.

The jets have had lots of picks the last 5 years and have really not drafted a true guard, though you can stick avt there if you wish that being his best spot.

On 3/24/2024 at 12:52 PM, Beerfish said:

one 'guard' who has played a lot of tackle, becasue he can play tackle. (in like 5 drafts)

Most or all of our mid to lower round guys have been tackles, with tackle bodies, that if they fail at tackle cant play guard.  We just signed a strictly guard free agent in Simpson.

Clark, mitchell, warren all tackles they try and shoe horn into guard when guys get hurt.

Avt has played a lot of tackle because we have needed someone to play tackle I don't think any other team has had near as many different offensive line changes as we have had the past few years. We can't keep our fatboys healthy on our crappy turf.