JJ McCarthy

Just now, GKnight83 said:

As a strictly pocket passer - I agree with you.

However, when pressured he loses any sense of mechanics - like setting hips and feet for throws.

He's 24 years old and my biggest concern is his ability to adapt when athleticism is required.

Talking about Penix 

• Upvote 1

Talking about Penix 
Yeah .. I hadn't considered the age factor ...it's a good one ...habits more set. Still no denying the accuracy when he has time.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

This is how kids get over drafted and over hyped. When the season ended he was a second round pick maybe, then through the media and clips of him in shorts he all of a sudden rumored to be a top 10 pick?? He jumped that far without playing a game it’s just crazy to me. Maybe this throw is just too earily similiar to ZW (he even looks like him) that I am having flashbacks 

when he declared for the draft, he was widely expected to go in the 1st round.  if he didn't get signals from various feedback that he was viewed as a 1st rounder, he probably would have returned.

now he has moved up up from "1st round" consideration to possibly top 5.  and that is after teams have had a chance to see him and meet him.  

i don't know if he will be a FQB, but i have no idea where these zach comparisons come from, other than that they sort of look similar and JJ made one throw at his pro day reminiscent of zach's throw.  JJ played top competition and led his team to back-to-back undefeated regular seasons, back-to-back wins over ohio state, back-to-back big 10 titles, back-to-back playoff appearances, and a national championship this year.  he was a leader on-and-off the field and is a relentless hard worker.  he was a 5* recruit coming out of high school.  he is athletic and can make pretty much any throw.  he has tons of experience in a pro style offense.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

when he declared for the draft, he was widely expected to go in the 1st round.  if he didn't get signals from various feedback that he was viewed as a 1st rounder, he probably would have returned.

now he has moved up up from "1st round" consideration to possibly top 5.  and that is after teams have had a chance to see him and meet him.  

i don't know if he will be a FQB, but i have no idea where these zach comparisons come from, other than that they sort of look similar and JJ made one throw at his pro day reminiscent of zach's throw.  JJ played top competition and led his team to back-to-back undefeated regular seasons, back-to-back wins over ohio state, back-to-back big 10 titles, back-to-back playoff appearances, and a national championship this year.  he was a leader on-and-off the field and is a relentless hard worker.  he was a 5* recruit coming out of high school.  he is athletic and can make pretty much any throw.  he has tons of experience in a pro style offense.

I think there is a 50/50 chance he is a very good QB. The comparisons are coming from youtubers watching his pro day throw and his yearbook picture. 🤣

Edited by Dunnie

This guy is somewhere between Mac Jones and Daniel Jones. Not good. I am so thankful some other team will take him long before the Jets have a shot at him. Even before this pro day footage sent me into conniptions I'd never been so sure of a bust

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I remember some years back watching a few FL St. games and being thoroughly unimpressed with their QB Christian Ponder.  Come draft time I was shocked to see him picked in the 1st Rd.  I think Minnesota actually traded up to draft him and I thought to myself "well none of the guys who work there like their jobs".

McCarthy might be a slight notch higher than Ponder was.  It's really insane how teams who have no QB over rate so many who play that position in college.

Wasn't McCarthy a 5 star recruit?  I think these guys look for a guy that meets certain criteria and then after that they are looking for somebody they can work with.  Of course this thought process is what makes people think that the right coach can break down the Zach Wilsons and Christian Hackenbergs of the world.  I think the key is the guy has to be ready, willing and able to process things quickly.  

Regarding Ponder, I know there are plenty that watched him that thought him being drafted in the first was a joke, but there were plenty of the alleged metrics that tell you who will bust and he passed the bar on a bunch of them. 

Reading a few scouting sites, I can see the comp. to Zach Wilson.  It's not 1-for-1 but I see the similarities of weakness.  Especially concerns about "processing" of the game/field.

Not a guy I'd reach for based on what I've read/seen so far.    But we're not picking a QB anyway, so yeah.

JJ McCarthy seems like the classic QB you take in the 2nd round and hope he can function as a cheap bridge/2 QB with possible upside.  Like Mason Rudolph or Will Levis.  

We would rather take shots at the other guys in rounds 3 and below (Travis, Rattler, etc.).  

16 minutes ago, Plen T said:

He’ll be going to a competent organization so he actually has a shot to pan out, unlike Wilson

Yeah if only Zach or JJ could go to the 49ers like Trey Lance and Sam Darnold and truly soar just like them.  

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I just hope NE doesn't end up with Jayden Daniels.

Drake Maye gives Mitch Trubisky vibes.

Not afraid of JJ McCarthy.

I'd be very concerned if that ends up happening (and it could).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, varjet said:

JJ McCarthy seems like the classic QB you take in the 2nd round and hope he can function as a cheap bridge/2 QB with possible upside.  Like Mason Rudolph or Will Levis.  

We would rather take shots at the other guys in rounds 3 and below (Travis, Rattler, etc.).  

I know what you're saying except I kind of thought Levis might have higher upside than that.  He looked like he could play.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Reading a few scouting sites, I can see the comp. to Zach Wilson.  It's not 1-for-1 but I see the similarities of weakness.  Especially concerns about "processing" of the game/field.

Not a guy I'd reach for based on what I've read/seen so far.    But we're not picking a QB anyway, so yeah.

JJ is my #2 QB behind Daniels today.

JJ is NOT Zach Wilson.

JJ played elite level hockey in Illinois, Zach would sh*t his pants if he had to take 1 shift at that level.

All 4 QB’s should be gone when the Jets pick.

• More Ugh 1

On 3/26/2024 at 7:33 AM, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I remember some years back watching a few FL St. games and being thoroughly unimpressed with their QB Christian Ponder.  Come draft time I was shocked to see him picked in the 1st Rd.  I think Minnesota actually traded up to draft him and I thought to myself "well none of the guys who work there like their jobs".

McCarthy might be a slight notch higher than Ponder was.  It's really insane how teams who have no QB over rate so many who play that position in college.

Well, that doesn't exactly sound shockingly coincidental.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

JJ is my #2 QB behind Daniels today.

JJ is NOT Zach Wilson.

JJ played elite level hockey in Illinois, Zach would sh*t his pants if he had to take 1 shift at that level.

All 4 QB’s should be gone when the Jets pick.

JJ has all of Zack college tendencies, it’s great he plays hockey but it hasn’t helped him want to sit in the pocket and operate.  So whatever team takes him better have a long term plans that includes him sitting a year or two. 

4 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

JJ has all of Zack college tendencies, it’s great he plays hockey but it hasn’t helped him want to sit in the pocket and operate.  So whatever team takes him better have a long term plans that includes him sitting a year or two. 

The thing with JJ that is unknown is, how much of a true pocket pro qb is he with all the training under harbaugh?  He’s got tools, he’s got an arm.  But what would make him different from zachy is an ability to actually play nfl qb.  Idk if teams assume that b/c he won a national championship with a former nfl qb, that he’s necessarily going to be an nfl qb. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2024 at 7:04 AM, Dunnie said:

Yeah .. I hadn't considered the age factor ...it's a good one ...habits more set. Still no denying the accuracy when he has time.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The way Penix throws the ball I wouldn’t want to change his mechanics 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Do we get JJ with Harbaugh? Obviously Not.  So pass 

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The thing with JJ that is unknown is, how much of a true pocket pro qb is he with all the training under harbaugh?  He’s got tools, he’s got an arm.  But what would make him different from zachy is an ability to actually play nfl qb.  Idk if teams assume that b/c he won a national championship with a former nfl qb, that he’s necessarily going to be an nfl qb. 

I dont blame JJ for the offense he ran in college.  It obviously worked.  They lost 1 game during his reign as a starter and just won an undefeated Nat'y.  The issue I have is we just drafted a "toolsy" twink to play QB in the NFL and maybe JJ is a lot tougher and more mentally prepared for the league but the film shows the same crap you'd have to break at the next level.   All about off script out of the pocket school yard ball.  Zero ability to read the D and manipulate the pocket.  Nothing but lazers, not touch, struggles w/ accuracy to the sidelines.   JJ leaves more clean pockets then both Darnold and Wilson did in college. That would scare the ever living sh*t out of me but luckily we dont have to worry about it, it's another team headache. 

20 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I dont blame JJ for the offense he ran in college.  It obviously worked.  They lost 1 game during his reign as a starter and just won an undefeated Nat'y.  The issue I have is we just drafted a "toolsy" twink to play QB in the NFL and maybe JJ is a lot tougher and more mentally prepared for the league but the film shows the same crap you'd have to break at the next level.   All about off script out of the pocket school yard ball.  Zero ability to read the D and manipulate the pocket.  Nothing but lazers, not touch, struggles w/ accuracy to the sidelines.   JJ leaves more clean pockets then both Darnold and Wilson did in college. That would scare the ever living sh*t out of me but luckily we dont have to worry about it, it's another team headache. 

Be funny if the bears draft Caleb and ends up Justin Fields 2.0

37 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Penix is getting all sorts of misinformation on who and when he will be drafted. He was quoted as saying "I'm tired of being jerked around!"

Did he say exactly why? To me, that's just the reality of any recruit who won't be a top 3 pick... teams can tell a guy they're interested or "will go get them" but how can you make any promises if other teams are picking ahead of you? No "jerking around".

I'd guess he's just putting a little pressure on the interested teams. Or was there something else he said about it?

35 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Did he say exactly why? To me, that's just the reality of any recruit who won't be a top 3 pick... teams can tell a guy they're interested or "will go get them" but how can you make any promises if other teams are picking ahead of you? No "jerking around".

I'd guess he's just putting a little pressure on the interested teams. Or was there something else he said about it?

Dont Get It Fran Healy GIF by Travis

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

All 4 QB’s need to sit a year or 2.

• Upvote 1