I'm slightly confused by the terms of the Haason Reddick trade to the Jets

The Jets sent a conditional 2026 3rd round pick to the Eagles for Reddick, which can change to a 2nd round pick if he plays at least 67.5% of the snaps and at least 10 sacks.

But of all the players on the defensive line who led the team in snaps last year, the only one who achieved 67.5% of the snaps was Quinnen Williams, who barely went over that mark with 68.5% of the total snaps.  Coming in second place was Jermaine Johnson, who played in 65.8% of the snaps, which falls short of the 67.5% that Reddick needs to play for the Eagles to get that 2nd round pick in 2026.

My question is: "Why would the Eagles allow that to be incorporated into the trade with the Jets, since the likliehood of Reddick achieving that goal is to me, no better than a 50/50 proposition?"

And if Reddick were to miss say, 2 games this upcoming season, and with the rotation of the D line, even if he plays 70% of every snap of the remaining 15 games, I think he would fall short of that mark.

Do you think that there was a "wink wink" sort of deal, where the Eagles actually only expect to get the 3rd round pick in 2026, and not the 2nd round pick?

This has been bothering me since the trade, and I want to get some other opinions on this.

3 minutes ago, Edgy said:

I heard some talking head say that HR was looking for a 2nd for Reddick, and there just were no offers since the new team would have to rework the contract anyway.    So it probably was a way to structure something fairly unlikely, but still says he could get a 2nd.    

And for JD, what does he care - this pick isn't his issue unless they knock it out of the park anyway.

If this is the case, then there's the answer.

They couldn't get a 2nd. Next best would be a 3rd that could turn into a 2nd, and to get even that it had to be another full year later, two drafts after this upcoming one. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the Eagles absolutely expect the third rounder, but by making it a possible second they can better sell it to their fans. 

This is my thought as well. It’s just to soften it a little.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the Eagles absolutely expect the third rounder, but by making it a possible second they can better sell it to their fans. 

This makes the most sense to me.  And the Eagles fans are probably not as aware as Jets fans that there is a heavy rotation of D linemen on our team, so the average Eagles fan probably thinks that playing 67.5% of the snaps is very doable.  LOL

This.... It's only to make the medicine go down with their fans.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

This makes the most sense to me.  And the Eagles fans are probably not as aware as Jets fans that there is a heavy rotation of D linemen on our team, so the average Eagles fan probably thinks that playing 67.5% of the snaps is very doable.  LOL

Yup. He hasn’t appeared in fewer than 74% of his team’s defensive snaps in the last four years, but he won’t do that here. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Alka said:

The Jets sent a conditional 2026 3rd round pick to the Eagles for Reddick, which can change to a 2nd round pick if he plays at least 67.5% of the snaps and at least 10 sacks.

But of all the players on the defensive line who led the team in snaps last year, the only one who achieved 67.5% of the snaps was Quinnen Williams, who barely went over that mark with 68.5% of the total snaps.  Coming in second place was Jermaine Johnson, who played in 65.8% of the snaps, which falls short of the 67.5% that Reddick needs to play for the Eagles to get that 2nd round pick in 2026.

My question is: "Why would the Eagles allow that to be incorporated into the trade with the Jets, since the likliehood of Reddick achieving that goal is to me, no better than a 50/50 proposition?"

And if Reddick were to miss say, 2 games this upcoming season, and with the rotation of the D line, even if he plays 70% of every snap of the remaining 15 games, I think he would fall short of that mark.

Do you think that there was a "wink wink" sort of deal, where the Eagles actually only expect to get the 3rd round pick in 2026, and not the 2nd round pick?

This has been bothering me since the trade, and I want to get some other opinions on this.

The Jets could have brought tampering charges against the Eagles in regards to Huff ... JD & Howie probably agreed to call it even. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Douglas was offering a  4th, Eagles stuck to their guns, Douglas caved to get the deal done.

Rodgers 2.0

The Eagles after the big Huff signing wanted to get rid of Reddick, Joe the soft touch came calling.

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas was offering a  4th, Eagles stuck to their guns, Douglas caved to get the deal done.

Rodgers 2.0

The Eagles after the big Huff signing wanted to get rid of Reddick, Joe the soft touch came calling.

sarcasm??? if not :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, derp said:

This is my thought as well. It’s just to soften it a little.

It’s clear that the Eagles decided not to pay him and the Jets got a pretty good bargain on the comp because he’s a one year rental 

I’m assuming what the Jets want to do is see how the season is going and then decide if they want to give him the bag 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers 2.0

Yea, they were just dying to get rid of a 29 year old stud pass rusher. Killer point there. 

It’s more likely they decided not to pay him, much like we decided not to pay Huff. They are maxed out and are paying their QB now with a loaded, expensive roster. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s a linebacker 

I think he pretty much sucked as an off ball LB in Arizona and has been playing EDGE  He didn't really start playing well until they moved him outside.  I think he was playing LDE for the Eagles. 

I agree the conditions were probably a save face move, but it also protects them from him playing 100% of the snaps and having a great year and still only getting a 3rd.   It's always possible he plays more - either some LB, or taking every single one of Huff, Lawson, and McDonald's snaps would still put him right about there - 765 to Q's 779 for 67.3%. If Johnson gets hurt (please don't) that really can  bump up his snap count.

10 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Still trying to figure out how we took on his 14 million in cap space when we supposedly had only around 5-10 million before the trade. No announcement of a new deal or restructure of existing.

This was discussed in another thread — consensus seems to be that the Jets are likely working on a long term deal with him that will reduce the 2024 cap hit. Other options are to add void years to his contract and/or restructure other guys (JFM being the most likely candidate)

5 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

This was discussed in another thread — consensus seems to be that the Jets are likely working on a long term deal with him that will reduce the 2024 cap hit. Other options are to add void years to his contract and/or restructure other guys (JFM being the most likely candidate)

Makes sense. Just thought that would have needed to be done before the deal could officially be completed because we didn't have the cap room at time of deal.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If this is the case, then there's the answer.

They couldn't get a 2nd. Next best would be a 3rd that could turn into a 2nd, and to get even that it had to be another full year later, two drafts after this upcoming one. 

And by then it will be the last pick in the 3rd so it will be basically be a 4th rounder. 😉

The situation was confusing when they didn't resign Huff last offseason. It was confusing when JD spent a 1st on McDonald. It was confusing when they let Huff walk for nothing. The roster management, specifically at this position, hasn't made sense long before this signing. At this point all you can do is shrug and remind yourself JD is still the GM and suddenly it becomes less confusing. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think he pretty much sucked as an off ball LB in Arizona and has been playing EDGE  He didn't really start playing well until they moved him outside.  I think he was playing LDE for the Eagles. 

I agree the conditions were probably a save face move, but it also protects them from him playing 100% of the snaps and having a great year and still only getting a 3rd.   It's always possible he plays more - either some LB, or taking every single one of Huff, Lawson, and McDonald's snaps would still put him right about there - 765 to Q's 779 for 67.3%. If Johnson gets hurt (please don't) that really can  bump up his snap count.

Sirianni took some heat for this, not sure the date of the information, but at one point he was dropping into coverage about 11% of the time. 
it will be interesting to see how ulbrich deploys him. 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It’s clear that the Eagles decided not to pay him and the Jets got a pretty good bargain on the comp because he’s a one year rental 

I’m assuming what the Jets want to do is see how the season is going and then decide if they want to give him the bag 

I think so too. The eagles gave huff millions more than reddick and he wants the same or more.  Frankly reddick plays more and has been pretty effective as an edge rusher.  So in a sense the jets got a better player for this season and, if he walks after this season, will be in line for a fourth round pick in 2026.  So the jets will have paid the draft cost between a third and fourth pick for this guy.  And since it’s a contract year, it can assumed he’s going to be playing plenty hard.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Based on the year of the draft pick and the fact that it is lower than his talent level, I think the Eagles had no competitive bidders and this was the best they got.  

Two ways he hats that percentage. Injuries on the DL or Last year's rd 1 pick doesn't deliver and snaps decline. Please let it be neither. Especially that first one. Well, both really.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

We got a DOG. 

That's all you need to know.

Is that good?  I thought the kool kats spelled it DAWG.  We called lazy good for nothing players dogs where I come from.  Of course I remember when I was told Ardarius Stewart was a DAWG, so maybe they are lazy good for nothing players too. .  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Is that good?  I thought the kool kats spelled it DAWG.  We called lazy good for nothing players dogs where I come from.  Of course I remember when I was told Ardarius Stewart was a DAWG, so maybe they are lazy good for nothing players too. .  

No no, Dogs are good. Dawgs are what Jamal Adams calls him self. Thus...no.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, they were just dying to get rid of a 29 year old stud pass rusher. Killer point there. 

It’s more likely they decided not to pay him, much like we decided not to pay Huff. They are maxed out and are paying their QB now with a loaded, expensive roster. 

He had a signed contract, he was not a fa like huff.  Why are they going to dump a stud they already have to get more a question mark in huff?

The jets are brilliant for letting huff walk and having to trade assets for reddick.

Eagles are stupid for getting a pick and getting the younger player who might be as good.

Joe Douglas playing checkers.

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

The situation was confusing when they didn't resign Huff last offseason. It was confusing when JD spent a 1st on McDonald. It was confusing when they let Huff walk for nothing. The roster management, specifically at this position, hasn't made sense long before this signing. At this point all you can do is shrug and remind yourself JD is still the GM and suddenly it becomes less confusing. 

It’s the best DLine in football, not that confusing TBH

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He had a signed contract, he was not a fa like huff.  Why are they going to dump a stud they already have to get more a question mark in huff?

The jets are brilliant for letting huff walk and having to trade assets for reddick.

Eagles are stupid for getting a pick and getting the younger player who might be as good.

Joe Douglas playing checkers.

MIGHT being the operative word. 

There is evidence that the Jets rushing defense is significantly better with Huff off the field and we’ve never seen Huff take more than 42% of the snaps. 

The Jets are telling you that they don’t think Huff is a guy who can play north of 60% of the snaps in their system and be a dominant all-around player - particularly on early downs. They think Reddick (who has already proven he can do this) is a better fit and a better all around player. 

It ultimately comes down to the defensive staff’s relative evaluation of Huff and Reddick. This is something I actually trust the Jets in. This regime/staff has done well at finding veteran players who fit their system on the defensive side of the ball and have developed some real gems (Sauce, JJ, Huff, JFM, MCII) through the draft and UFDA, including Huff himself.  

4 hours ago, Alka said:

of course they only expect to get a 3rd round pick.

they get a tip if he plays a ton and lights out

• Reddick will not play enough to have the pick upgraded.
  • I don’t understand how we can afford Reddick.  Something must be happening, with Reddick or JFM/others.
  • Saleh/Ulbrich are good defensive coaches and good with talent.  But they need a lot of really, really good players to make their defense work.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • Reddick will not play enough to have the pick upgraded.
  • I don’t understand how we can afford Reddick.  Something must be happening, with Reddick or JFM/others.
  • Saleh/Ulbrich are good defensive coaches and good with talent.  But they need a lot of really, really good players to make their defense work.  

#voidyears