How would the draft have to fall for Alt to be a Jet?

26 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Whats stupid is you fail to see the various scenarios that could eveolve one way or the other

lol wut?

If he doesn’t get picked, he’ll be available. Just so you know. 

Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Current odds right now for first non-QB drafted: MHJ and Nabers, then Alt, then a dive from Alt +1200 to +2500 for Odunze. Three receivers, then one pure left tackle prospect by himself.

IMG_5089.jpeg

Having Dallas Turner that high is very good for the jets if it pans out that way.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

Assuming you mean Titans at 7. Don’t think the broncos trade up to get Alt. They would trade up to get QB though.  

I do think, in this scenario, the Giants take a QB over Odunze. Could then see the Bears taking Odunze before us. 

Right my bad

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

This is the guy we need. The guy we would have gotten if we had lost to NY Giants and Washington. But NO we had to pull off two improbable, impossible wins and fallback to 10.  I have seen a few scenarios where Alt falls to10 but thats only with the Titans taking T Fashanua over Alt which just aint happening.  The only other possibility I can think of is someone moves up to 7 and trades with the Titans to grab a QB, say McCarthy.  Any other ways? 

1 Chi Caleb QB

2 Wash Daniels QB

3 NE Maye QB

4 Ari MHJ WR

5 Chargers Nabers

6 NY Giants Odunze

7 Broncos - Mccarthy QB - Trade with Titans - #12 and 2025 1st for #7

8 Falcons Turner Edge

9 Chi Latu Edge

10 Alt T 

JD doesnt have the draft capitol to trade up. Long shot but who knows.

In this scenario, do you see the Jets trading back? Maybe still getting Bowers or Thomas Jr. ?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t think the first part is necessarily true. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see another tackle, Latham in particular, go ahead of him.

And I think the supposedly close delta between MHJ and Nabers in particular masks the fact that Harrison is the best prospect in this class and probably would’ve been the best in the last few.

Also not many teams ahead of the Jets need tackles but literally every team 3-9 could take a WR. Harrison isn’t going lower than like 6.

I know Zeirlein has Latham going six to the Giants (Alt 7 to the Titans), but that’d be quite the upset unless someone thinks Latham can play LT. Maybe Harbaugh gets weird because he has Slater on the left side, but it feels like Harbaugh is trying to orchestrate a trade down by hyping McCarthy. He said as much the other day when he suggested that the Chargers would have the de facto #1 pick if four QBs go ahead of pick five. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I know Zeirlein has Latham going six to the Giants (Alt 7 to the Titans), but that’d be quite the upset unless someone thinks Latham can play LT. Maybe Harbaugh gets weird because he has Slater on the left side, but it feels like Harbaugh is trying to orchestrate a trade down by hyping McCarthy. He said as much the other day when he suggested that the Chargers would have the de facto #1 pick if four QBs go ahead of pick five. 

I have heard speculation Latham might be someone Callahan would want to develop, which kind of makes sense. Regardless, I think Alt’s more likely to slide to 10 than Harrison is to get into a range the Jets could reasonably make a play for him.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

In this scenario, do you see the Jets trading back? Maybe still getting Bowers or Thomas Jr. ?

I'd trade back for Brian Thomas in a heartbeat. Here's the thing: Qb's will go 123.  Arizona and Chargers are not passing up on MHJ & Nabers.  That leaves the Giants as the real first trading partner. The are not taking McCarthy. There is no immediate need to take McCarthy. They need a WR. BUT the Giants SUCK and would be wise to trade back and collect picks since they have so many needs.  I see them as the first to pull off a trade with either the Broncos, Vikes or Raiders and one of them pulls the trigger and takes McCarthy at 6.  Titans up next and its 90% they take Alt. Falcons need a WR and take Odunze.  Bears need an edge and take Turner.  Jets OTC,  McCarthy is gone BUT how many times have we seen teams move up to get a QB when its against the odds. Penix? Nix? Jets could get a 3rd rounder in a trade back then take B Thomas.  

13 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I'd trade back for Brian Thomas in a heartbeat. Here's the thing: Qb's will go 123.  Arizona and Chargers are not passing up on MHJ & Nabers.  That leaves the Giants as the real first trading partner. The are not taking McCarthy. There is no immediate need to take McCarthy. They need a WR. BUT the Giants SUCK and would be wise to trade back and collect picks since they have so many needs.  I see them as the first to pull off a trade with either the Broncos, Vikes or Raiders and one of them pulls the trigger and takes McCarthy at 6.  Titans up next and its 90% they take Alt. Falcons need a WR and take Odunze.  Bears need an edge and take Turner.  Jets OTC,  McCarthy is gone BUT how many times have we seen teams move up to get a QB when its against the odds. Penix? Nix? Jets could get a 3rd rounder in a trade back then take B Thomas.  

In my opinion, the Falcons need a DE more than a WR. But we will see. I think you are right, the Giants could trade back. They have a terrible roster.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I’d be careful about Chargers being a lock for WR. Harbaugh is weird about receivers. In SF, he inherited Crabtree and Baalke drafted AJ Jenkins for him in R1. Jenkins was a massive bust and the Niners ended up trading a six for Anquan Boldin. IMO, he’s going to try and squeeze something out of Quentin Johnson and Josh Palmer first. 

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

This is the guy we need. The guy we would have gotten if we had lost to NY Giants and Washington. But NO we had to pull off two improbable, impossible wins and fallback to 10.  I have seen a few scenarios where Alt falls to10 but thats only with the Titans taking T Fashanua over Alt which just aint happening.  The only other possibility I can think of is someone moves up to 7 and trades with the Titans to grab a QB, say McCarthy.  Any other ways? 

1 Chi Caleb QB

2 Wash Daniels QB

3 NE Maye QB

4 Ari MHJ WR

5 Chargers Nabers

6 NY Giants Odunze

8 Falcons Turner Edge

9 Chi Latu Edge

10 Alt T 

Seems like the Titans would want Alt and it would take a lot to make them give him up in a trade. 

I think despite lack of draft capital, the only way is if the Jets move up to 6 or higher. JD can trade next year's 1st to get him if there was an opportunity but he simply won't do that, nor should he. I think CHI at 9 would be a more likely trade partner with MINN or DEN for McCarthy. JMHO. 

But here's one way Alt might fall to the Jets. If somehow a top tier WR falls to the Titans. Specifically Nabers or MHJ. If 4 QBs go top 4 (lets say Minn trades up with ARI for McCarthy), the Chargers take MHJ/Nabers and the Giants are mesmerized with Odunze and take him. Then Nabers/MHJ is there for the Titans and they might be tempted to take one of them instead of Alt. Now, this becomes a scenario where ATL and CHI might now go for Alt or someone might aggressively want to move up for him. But lets say ATL goes defense and CHI goes in a different direction than OT as expected by most, and nobody trades up to snag him...well, Alt will fall to the Jets. But a lot has to happen. If JD wants Alt, he's gotta go up and get him. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

I think for alt to drop to ten there would Ave to be a pretty large run on QBs and wrs not mention a couple of defensive guys that might sneak up there.

Chi Caleb, Wash Daniels, NE Maye, Ari MHJ, SD Nabers, Den (Trade) McCarthy, Titans Odunze, Atl Turner, Chi Latu

Possible.. remote but possible.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

If all the jets want is a tackle they just sit there and take one.  They’re similar anyway

Someone posted this in similar fashion. Logic being JD HAS TO redeem himself for his poor OL planning. If its teh case that both Alt and Fashanu are 1 and 1A in rating, then whay not just trade back and take the WR and fortify the OL in round 2 & 3.  

He might not be a perennial 1st team all pro or turn out to be the best OT in this draft, but with Alt you can feel pretty confident you are getting a good player.

And with the Jets and JD’s OL failures, there’s a sense of safety with Alt that you maybe don’t have with the other prospects.

Monson PFF has Fashanu as his OT1 based on his elite pass pro traits.

Joe Douglas doesn’t give a sh-t about pass pro though;  he drafts based on displays of raw power, strength and pancake blocks, hence the Fuaga rumors which much more fits the GM’s m.o.

8 hours ago, slats said:

And yet you wouldn’t be surprised if they took Penix there. Interesting…

I think the Jets are specifically targeting someone from their comments at the combine.

If there is no trade up then that target is very likely to be there.

None of the WRs or OTs are guaranteed to be there. So if they are targeting someone that will be there it is unlikely to be one of them. Maybe I will be proven wrong but I just don't see them going OT after their moves in the first round. They will consider CW and AVT as their swing tackles. They WILL draft OL just not in the first.

So who would the target be?

Bowers will be there but I don't see them taking him.

That sort of leaves QB. Penix is the logical choice of who will be there since the Top 4 all likely go ahead of the Jets.

I might be completely out to left field. But FWIW Jim and Pat on SIRIUSXM actually confirmed the Woody/Saleh argument and let's face it Saleh will not want to take a QB.

No for those saying the Jets are in all out win now mode I would counter that JD and Saleh are in save my job mode. If JD chooses a QB that sits for the year, and things go south he can use the QB as a reason to select another HC and throwing Saleh under the bus. 

Convincing Woody we need a Rodgers backup like Jordan Love will be a simple thing.

Just my theory.

9 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

1 Chi Caleb QB

2 Wash Daniels QB

3 NE Maye QB

4 Ari MHJ WR

5 Chargers Nabers

6 NY Giants Odunze

8 Falcons Turner Edge

9 Chi Latu Edge

10 Alt T 

It’s pretty simple actually. Everyone picking before us. Picks 1-9 would select a different player.  Then the jets could draft Alt.  Cmon man 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sec143dmf said:

It’s pretty simple actually. Everyone picking before us. Picks 1-9 would select a different player.  Then the jets could draft Alt.  Cmon man 

Didnt your mother teach you if you had nothing to say then dont say anyting.

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Regardless, if we’re sitting there and we hear the Jets traded up to five, it’s going to be for the receiver anyway. They’re not trading future picks to come up for a left tackle with Tyron Smith on the roster!

If the titans want Alt and 1 of the 3 WR are still there at 7, I can see JD going up 3 spots without it being that expensive.  Like our 1st and 3rd for their 1st and 5th so we wouldn’t lose # of picks.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

If the titans want Alt and 1 of the 3 WR are still there at 7, I can see JD going up 3 spots without it being that expensive.  Like our 1st and 3rd for their 1st and 5th so we wouldn’t lose # of picks.  

I just think that if someone on the top ten wants Alt, they’re just going to stick and take Alt because he’s clearly the A1 left tackle prospect, whereas if, say, the Chargers or Cardinals want a receiver, they’d be more prone to trade down a bit knowing that even if they miss out on MHJ, they can still get Nabers or Odunze plus a haul of future picks. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just think that if someone on the top ten wants Alt, they’re just going to stick and take Alt because he’s clearly the A1 left tackle prospect, whereas if, say, the Chargers or Cardinals want a receiver, they’d be more prone to trade down a bit knowing that even if they miss out on MHJ, they can still get Nabers or Odunze plus a haul of future picks. 

The Chargers or Cardinals could trade out and then back up but any team that’s moving up is almost certainly doing it for a QB and getting them out of Nabers/Odunze range.

13 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Or if they want a non-Alt tackle. Future two for a future four is similar, I think that’s good framework for a move and would hope it’s something Douglas is considering.

18 hours ago, David Harris said:

Feels like we’re going to pass on Olu and I’m worried that may be a mistake in the longterm

Of course it will be a huge mistake in the longterm.  After 2024, we have no offensive linemen with a contract, except for Warren, who hasn't yet proven that he can be a starting right tackle.  I'm not even sure if Max makes the team this year.

Very stupid if we pass on a O tackle this draft in the first round.  If I were the owner of the Jets, I would force JD to pick a tackle with the 10th pick, unless a trade down and get one later in the first round, or if the top 3 wide receivers are there at 10, and JD wants to go that way.

No way do I pick a TE who will never match a Kelce or Gronk in their careeers, over a solid left tackle who will be there for the next 10 or 14 years.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Alt could drop to 10 because of trade ups for QBs and if a team takes Bowers over an OL etc. It's not impossible and if he does JD takes him. 

There is realistically a 0% chance Alt falls to 10. 

23 minutes ago, Alka said:

No way do I pick a TE who will never match a Kelce or Gronk in their careeers, over a solid left tackle who will be there for the next 10 or 14 years.  

If Bowers goes top-10 it will be extremely difficult for him to live up to the hype.

Despite the speed and toughness, he doesn’t have the physical presence of a guy like Kelce or Gronk.

He’s obviously more agile than most TE’s but the guy also needs a runway to build up speed.

I wouldn’t say he’s crafty or particularly “sudden” in his breaks either.

At the top of his “routes” — when he actually runs routes as opposed to catching a a screen — he likes to do this kind of cheap head and shoulder fake / shimmy that doesn’t seem to fool anybody but rather just slows him down and gives defenders a fraction of a second more to close the gap.

I also would have concerns about his durability.

Soft tissue injuries have a way of recurring and lingering.  It’s weird, some guys never seem to get them whereas the guys who do seem to get them all the time.

Best-case scenario and player comp to me for Bowers is Aaron Hernandez (minus the psycho murderer part off the field) and the ways NE used him essentially as a RB and extension of the quick passing game.

But Hernandez was a 4th round pick 😂.

Extreme value there but at #10 overall, is anybody taking Aaron Hernandez (even if he had been a saint off the field)?

• Upvote 1