****The Official Day 3 of the 2024 NFL Draft****

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If they sign Connor McGovern for a cet minimum the IOL depth is covered. I don’t get the handwringing on these day 3 picks. Especially when the positions that need to be filled are backup Safety and back up IOL.

One the one hand, it’s Day 3 picks who have a 15% chance of making the roster. 

On the other hand, we watched a decent amount of street free agents playing important snaps for this franchise the past three years at spots that ended our seasons, so why not pack those spots out with athletes who ~might~ develop enough to be useful? We were dragging dudes off the couch to play guard last year. Our WR2 and 3 were very bad street free agents. In response to this, Douglas is using picks on multiple, redundant running backs? Just seems like a poor use of resources. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

What’s funny- we’ve hit on several UDFAs in recent years- we were crying over WR last year and 2 UDFAs WR made the team. I’m sure JD had these RBs and the corner rated higher than other players- they can look to add depth (guard, safety) as UDFA as well- those UDFA picks are almost as uncertain as these draft picks. Just my thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s hard to paint a picture where Jordan Travis or both the plodder backs ever contribute in a meaningful way to the Jets franchise. 

Disgaree about Allen. Think he has a chance to be good. Several folks I saw had him as the best RB in this draft a few weeks ago. I don’t know anything about Davis, but it was really odd taking another RB there.  

Any QB in the 5th is a super long shot. I’m just glad the Jets took a chance on someone they liked. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

At this point in the draft, looking for depth and a diamond in the rough, boom or bust. Drafting 2 RB’s is the part that’s confusing. Would have preferred an additional receiver to be honest. Have to think Izzy is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That's only because he traded all the 4th rounders. haha. There were 3rd round level prospects when we were picking in the 4th.

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Disgaree about Allen. Think he has a chance to be good. Several folks I saw had him as the best RB in this draft a few weeks ago. I don’t know anything about Davis, but it was really odd taking another RB there.  

Any QB in the 5th is a super long shot. I’m just glad the Jets took a chance on someone they liked. 

I liked the Allen pick by itself, but Allen and Davis makes no sense. With Travis, think of it as drafting a smaller Bailey Zappe.

• Upvote 2

I am 100% aware that no one cares what I think. And that their play, not my opinion today, is what matters.

But IMO after a solid rounds 1-3, it is my view, that JD completely pooped the bed.

For those who love it, congrats. I remain a deep cynic when it comes to JD and the draft. I hope they can show me the wisdom in what looks to me like a horrible day 3.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I am 100% aware that no one cares what I think. And that their play, not my opinion today, is what matters.

But IMO after a solid rounds 1-3, it is my view, that JD completely pooped the bed.

For those who love it, congrats. I remain a deep cynic when it comes to JD and the draft. I hope they can show me the wisdom in what looks to me like a horrible day 3.

Only explanation for their Day Two ****ery is that they have offers on the table for a handful of vets and Douglas is being cheeky/stupid with these picks.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

On the other hand, we watched a decent amount of street free agents playing important snaps for this franchise the past three years at spots that ended our seasons, so why not pack those spots out with athletes who ~might~ develop enough to be useful? We were dragging dudes off the couch to play guard last year. Our WR2 and 3 were very bad street free agents. In response to this, Douglas is using picks on multiple, redundant running backs? Just seems like a poor use of resources. 

What’s the difference talent wise of a 5-7 rounder and a UDFA? Generally these all have the same possibility of success. Would you feel more comfortable knowing your WR4 is forced to start if he was a 5th round pick than if he was a 6th round pick, or a journeyman?  Teams have deficiencies they just need to shove those deficiencies down the depth chart. Safety4, IOL4, and WR5 not being starter quality is a weird place to complain about asset management.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not that day 3 picks aren’t important (MC2 was one), it’s that we are all guessing hardcore about these guys. They are all relative long shots, so crying excessively about any one 5th round pick seems silly.  

I do agree that taking a second RB was bizarre. Hated that pick. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I liked the Allen pick by itself, but Allen and Davis makes no sense. With Travis, think of it as drafting a smaller Bailey Zappe.

Agreed.

i hated the Davis pick. Least favorite pick by far

So the excuse for botching the back half of the draft every year is now......but wait we'll do great in UDFA!!!

Can;t with till next couple years when the latest mid round Wr find is putting up ungodly numbers and we are wondering why these teams are so lucky and the jets are not.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

What’s the difference talent wise of a 5-7 rounder and a UDFA? Generally these all have the same possibility of success. Would you feel more comfortable knowing your WR4 is forced to start if he was a 5th round pick than if he was a 6th round pick, or a journeyman?  Teams have deficiencies they just need to shove those deficiencies down the depth chart. Safety4, IOL4, and WR5 not being starter quality is a weird place to complain about asset management.

This is why you don’t trade back to accumulate 5-7 rounders 

3 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

I'm fine with the Travis pick. I know nothing about him but don't mind it conceptually. Two backs is weird and seems basically pointless. 

It actually says they desperately want a complement to breece and are willing to double dip at the position to increase their odds of finding that guy.  

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It’s not that day 3 picks aren’t important (MC2 was one), it’s that we are all guessing hardcore about these guys. They are all relative long shots, so crying excessively about any one 5th round pick seems silly.  

I do agree that taking a second RB was bizarre. Hated that pick. 

agree that they're all dart throws at this point. weird process to have them aligned so that, in the best possible case where they both work out to be good players, they are redundant. especially with a star already at the position. go try and get a guard you can develop. do literally anything else lol 

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Each year there are about 250-300 udfa.

One 7th round pick puts you at the front of the list.

You can love a whole ton of udfa but most of them will choose to go elsewhere.

It is FAR more valuable to actually use a pick and know a guy you like is yours rather than competing with 20 other teams.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Isnt his name Bailey Zippie?  And Jordan Travis is like a human video game. I only know 1 QB that makes defenders look sillier and thats Lamar Jackson.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

It actually says they desperately want a complement to breece and are willing to double dip at the position to increase their odds of finding that guy.  

Between Izzy, whom they clearly revile, the absurd Cook contract and these two mid rounders.. that's probably too much cash spent on lotto tickets.