ZACH WILSON isn’t on the Jets anymore discussion (merged)

I never had anything against him. He was over hyped and overdrafted, but he always worked hard and did what was asked. I hope he Geno's it with a hall of fame level coach, but I have my doubts.

• Upvote 4

Doesn't matter how good your arm is if you don't have a fast enough processor for the game. Should have known watching his BYU tape throwing up hail marys against scrubs with twenty seconds to read the field

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Zach has a ton of physical talent, but his processor is too slow, and his situational awareness is poor.  The flashes are simply way too few and far between.  It's difficult to find a quarterback who has been as consistently poor from a statistical standpoint with as large of a sample size as Zach.

I feel comfortable saying he will never amount to anything in the NFL.  He's far more likely to be out of the league than even a backup quarterback in 5 years.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/zach-wilson-breaks-silence-on-jets-departure/ar-BB1ngenR?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=c299924e712d4e529215d1d9c69c961b&ei=18

"“Obviously, there’s bittersweet moments in everything,” Wilson said. “I was grateful for my experiences there and the guys. I miss the guys out there and everything too. But at the same time, a fresh start is good. I’m excited to attack a new challenge.”"

Things couldn’t have gone worse for Wilson in New York. Now, he’ll have a chance to turn his career around with a new franchise in 2024."

FYI... I don't care if this has been posted already and I don't care if this needs to be merged.  Now that Zach Wilson is no longer a Jet, this group is charged to keep adding more posts about him through his experience in Denver, retirement and beyond.  

I posted this article in its entirety

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Zach has a ton of physical talent, but his processor is too slow, and his situational awareness is poor.  The flashes are simply way too few and far between.  It's difficult to find a quarterback who has been as consistently poor from a statistical standpoint with as large of a sample size as Zach.

I feel comfortable saying he will never amount to anything in the NFL.  He's far more likely to be out of the league than even a backup quarterback in 5 years.

I pretty much agree.  Unless, there is a HC/OC out there that wants to run an all-out schoolyard offense.  Three or four pass catchers freelancing on every play.  Man blocking on the offensive line with plenty of lateral line shifts/motion.  It would not be consistent, but it would probably be entertaining. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's fine to be interested in Zach's post-Jets career, but we don't need a new thread for every little nothing comment.

Can we start a ZW only section ??? 

• Haha 2

Comedy.  Gold.

On 5/24/2024 at 3:55 PM, bitonti said:

The problem with Caleb is he doesn't work within a system 

all that off schedule stuff is awesome but sooner or later hes gotta make a quick read in 2 seconds or the league will eat him up 

On 5/26/2024 at 9:46 AM, Dunnie said:

Perfect post.

I can’t see stidman beating him out.  Stidman has had two or three chances to show something.  I suppose Payton might put the team in Nix’s hand but if that’s the case they won’t be winning much.  I can see Zach starting, at least for the first few games.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

This statement is not true.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I can’t see stidman beating him out.  Stidman has had two or three chances to show something.  I suppose Payton might put the team in Nix’s hand but if that’s the case they won’t be winning much.  I can see Zach starting, at least for the first few games.

Payton called him and Stidham orphans. Nix will start. It's what first round QBs do without an established high level QB

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, rangerous said:

lol.

The Zach hope will last a long time here huh.  

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I could see that too. Payton could have a stroke induced by Zach doing laps in the backfield on a quick hitter in practice and die on the sideline making Zach the starter due to the emotionally clouded response by the replacement coach.

4 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Darnold I always thought could have turned it around post-Jets, based on what I saw from him here.  I never once got the vibe Zach could, but I'll be rooting for the kid.  He seemed like a decent enough guy, aside from that "do you feel like you let the defense down" blip.

I am the exact opposite on those two.  Darnold never showed me anything here even though statistically he was better than Zach.  At least I never saw Zach just throw the ball up for grabs into triple and quadruple coverage as I did with Darnold, and Zach never complained about seing ghosts.  That said, I'm admittedly biased.  I never wanted Darnold.  I thought he was a terrible draft pick.  I wanted Zach based on his arm talent.  I saw every game he played, and read that he was a gymn rat, and always bugging the CS wanting to learn more and really be in command.  I don't know what happened with the Jets, whether he lived it up too much and didn't work as hard as he did in college, or if just doesn't have the processing speed.  With as much film as he supposedly watched in college, if he did that in the NFL, it seems like his processing speed would have improved.  At times he could read the Ds quickly and well, and get the ball out quickly to the right receiver, but at other times he was like a deer in the headlights.  I hope he balls out in Denver.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

At least I never saw Zach just throw the ball up for grabs into triple and quadruple coverage as I did with Darnold, and Zach never complained about seing ghosts.  That said, I'm admittedly biased.  

You know what else you never saw from Wilson? 3 TD passes in the same game or a year where he threw more than 9 in a season. What you did see was the guy quit on the team last year. Biased indeed!

Comedy.  Gold.

We'll see ... He may be awesome ... But it's so hard to tell until he's tested. The kid in Houston seems like the real deal ... Do you think he will cool off this year ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I am the exact opposite on those two.  Darnold never showed me anything here even though statistically he was better than Zach.  At least I never saw Zach just throw the ball up for grabs into triple and quadruple coverage as I did with Darnold, and Zach never complained about seing ghosts.  That said, I'm admittedly biased.  I never wanted Darnold.  I thought he was a terrible draft pick.  I wanted Zach based on his arm talent.  I saw every game he played, and read that he was a gymn rat, and always bugging the CS wanting to learn more and really be in command.  I don't know what happened with the Jets, whether he lived it up too much and didn't work as hard as he did in college, or if just doesn't have the processing speed.  With as much film as he supposedly watched in college, if he did that in the NFL, it seems like his processing speed would have improved.  At times he could read the Ds quickly and well, and get the ball out quickly to the right receiver, but at other times he was like a deer in the headlights.  I hope he balls out in Denver.

The quick processing games were pretty rare.  That KC game he looked like a legitimate 10-15 range QB.  Some games he had no time, and I felt bad for him.  Other games he had time, but would panic after his first read went to sh*t and would take off.  I'm sure having a sh*t OL will mess you up mentally.  I guess the difference between a good QB and a bad one is the good ones can figure out a way to just focus on their job instead of whether or not their protection will hold up.  Who knows, maybe he figures it out.  I doubt it though.

• Upvote 2

• slats changed the title to ZACH WILSON isn’t on the Jets anymore discussion (merged)