Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was going to change it to something else. I was thinking:

Smurfette was only the second-hottest Smurf. Fight me.

The gene pool and genealogy of the Smurfs with so few females therein was  a rarely discussed phenomenon in the cannon. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The gene pool and genealogy of the Smurfs with so few females therein was  a rarely discussed phenomenon in the cannon. 

Never forget that Smurfette was created by an evil wizard.  He knew introducing a female to a predominantly male society would cause all sorts of issues.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If I remember the lore correctly, the fact that Smurfette was artificially created in a lab by Gargamel to infiltrate their society in order to secure a new food source further complicated the issue.

Why do I remember that?

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Bugg said:

I found this for you: https://smurfs.fandom.com/wiki/Smurfs_(race)

The Smurfs were originally portrayed as a single-gender race that are generally born male (though Smurfs do not physically reproduce, they do come into the world by a stork that delivers them to the Smurf Village from an unknown location); while the rest of the Smurfs who are born female such as the Smurf Girls and Nanny (who are roughly of the same equal number as the male Smurfs) have little about their origins being revealed. The Hundredth Smurf, as well as a few female Smurfs such as Smurfette, Sassette, and Mermaid Smurfette (and the non-canonical Vexy and Hackus) are exceptions to this rule, as they are magical creations rather than natural-born Smurfs.

The male Smurf is mostly bald and relatively hairless. He does not begin to sprout facial hair (a beard and/or moustache) until sometime around his 400s, as mentioned by Papa Smurf in "Symbols Of Wisdom". The "non-canonical" Gutsy Smurf, interestingly, may be the only exception to this rule, as he wears sideburns despite being around the same age range as his fellow Smurfs. Grandpa Smurf, being in his 1000s, is the only known male Smurf at present who also has head hair growing around the back of his head, indicating that additional hair growth may be a sign of advancing age for a male Smurf. Because of the lack of head hair, male Smurfs wear hats on their heads. Besides that, male Smurfs also only wear pants, though a few Smurfs (such as Handy) do wear clothing on their torsos; no specific reason is given for this, though it simply may be a matter of function and/or comfort for them. Given that on occasion few Smurfs would wear nothing more than some gloves and a scarf in addition to a hat and pants in cold weather, it would appear that Smurfs are also somewhat physically adaptable to weather changes.

Origins

The exact origins for the Smurfs remained ambiguous to unknown at best. In various interpretations, some theorized that the Smurfs were nothing more than magical creations created by a wizard, unlike elves and fairies. Others simply regarded them as a type of forest sprite or were mistakenly referred to as elves. 

For instance, in the 1979 Smurfs album "Smurfing Sing Song", the song "Smurfing Land" explains an origin of the Smurfs themselves. According to the song, Homnibus (referred as "a fine magician" in the song) is mentioned as feeling lonely and decided to make some little friends by waving his magic wand, which created Smurfs. The wizard even tells the Smurfs where they would live at and the creation of their houses.

Another good example is that in one of the original proposals to the plot of the "non-canonical" 2011 Smurfs movie, it explained about an origin of the Smurfs starting off as toys that came to life through the tears of a sad little girl.

https://smurfs.fandom.com/wiki/Reproduction

In mainstream Smurfs media, Smurf reproduction is non-physical, as all baby Smurfs are brought to the Smurf Village from an unknown location on the night of a blue moon by stork. Since the mainstream Smurfs are by nature a single-gendered race, natural-born Smurfs are mostly male, with a few female Smurfs being magical creations. It is not yet known whether the Smurf Girls are also born in the same manner as the male Smurfs. Strangely in the cartoon show, Baby Smurf's gender is rarely if ever revealed in any interpersonal conversation among the adult Smurfs.

Schtroumpfs_01.jpg

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:45 AM, FidelioJet said:

Sometimes I wonder if some of you actually watch the games or look at stats.  Huff was one of the most disruptive players in the game.   His sack totals weren't high earlier in his career because of poor decision making on the Jets by only having him on the field 20% of the plays.  Once they increased his reps he got more sacks.  Not brain surgery, basic math.

On 8/2/2024 at 10:03 AM, batman10023 said:

Not true.  He was out there on every passing down.  He was a pass rusher on passing downs with 2, 2 and 2.5 sack seasons.  
He got pressure and that can be really disruptive theyre not sacks like Reddick produced

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not true.  He was out there on every passing down.  He was a pass rusher on passing downs with 2, 2 and 2.5 sack seasons.  
He got pressure and that can be really disruptive theyre not sacks like Reddick produced

This just isn't true.  I've done this research many times.  I would do it again but don't have time right now.  Take a look.

He was playing 20% of defensive reps.  Far more than 20% are passing downs.    He was being heavily under used.  

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This just isn't true.  I've done this research many times.  I would do it again but don't have time right now.  Take a look.

He was playing 20% of defensive reps.  Far more than 20% are passing downs.    He was being heavily under used.  

BS it isn’t true.  They’re all in a rotation, Q on down.  The difference is Huffs rotation never included running downs.  Your research missed that little tidbit.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

"Passing downs?"  How are you defining them?  Pretty sure that he was out there on most of the true passing downs, like 3rd and long.  

Supposedly he has a very good pass rush win rate.  Not sure if your "research" shows this, but he was a starter when Saleh took over.  He started the first 6 games of 2021 and played well over 50% of the defensive snaps in those games and net a whopping 2 sacks.  Then he got hurt.  He came back week 15 and played a decent amount in another 3 games.  You might better remember that as the year the Jets D was 32/32, 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

are you talking about last year or the years before?

didn't realize he was doing so well prior to last year - he was definitely "good" the year before.

let's see how the eagles use him.  what's your expectation for his sack total this year?

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I found this for you: https://smurfs.fandom.com/wiki/Smurfs_(race)

The Smurfs were originally portrayed as a single-gender race that are generally born male (though Smurfs do not physically reproduce, they do come into the world by a stork that delivers them to the Smurf Village from an unknown location); while the rest of the Smurfs who are born female such as the Smurf Girls and Nanny (who are roughly of the same equal number as the male Smurfs) have little about their origins being revealed. The Hundredth Smurf, as well as a few female Smurfs such as Smurfette, Sassette, and Mermaid Smurfette (and the non-canonical Vexy and Hackus) are exceptions to this rule, as they are magical creations rather than natural-born Smurfs.

The male Smurf is mostly bald and relatively hairless. He does not begin to sprout facial hair (a beard and/or moustache) until sometime around his 400s, as mentioned by Papa Smurf in "Symbols Of Wisdom". The "non-canonical" Gutsy Smurf, interestingly, may be the only exception to this rule, as he wears sideburns despite being around the same age range as his fellow Smurfs. Grandpa Smurf, being in his 1000s, is the only known male Smurf at present who also has head hair growing around the back of his head, indicating that additional hair growth may be a sign of advancing age for a male Smurf. Because of the lack of head hair, male Smurfs wear hats on their heads. Besides that, male Smurfs also only wear pants, though a few Smurfs (such as Handy) do wear clothing on their torsos; no specific reason is given for this, though it simply may be a matter of function and/or comfort for them. Given that on occasion few Smurfs would wear nothing more than some gloves and a scarf in addition to a hat and pants in cold weather, it would appear that Smurfs are also somewhat physically adaptable to weather changes.

Origins

The exact origins for the Smurfs remained ambiguous to unknown at best. In various interpretations, some theorized that the Smurfs were nothing more than magical creations created by a wizard, unlike elves and fairies. Others simply regarded them as a type of forest sprite or were mistakenly referred to as elves. 

For instance, in the 1979 Smurfs album "Smurfing Sing Song", the song "Smurfing Land" explains an origin of the Smurfs themselves. According to the song, Homnibus (referred as "a fine magician" in the song) is mentioned as feeling lonely and decided to make some little friends by waving his magic wand, which created Smurfs. The wizard even tells the Smurfs where they would live at and the creation of their houses.

Another good example is that in one of the original proposals to the plot of the "non-canonical" 2011 Smurfs movie, it explained about an origin of the Smurfs starting off as toys that came to life through the tears of a sad little girl.

https://smurfs.fandom.com/wiki/Reproduction

In mainstream Smurfs media, Smurf reproduction is non-physical, as all baby Smurfs are brought to the Smurf Village from an unknown location on the night of a blue moon by stork. Since the mainstream Smurfs are by nature a single-gendered race, natural-born Smurfs are mostly male, with a few female Smurfs being magical creations. It is not yet known whether the Smurf Girls are also born in the same manner as the male Smurfs. Strangely in the cartoon show, Baby Smurf's gender is rarely if ever revealed in any interpersonal conversation among the adult Smurfs.

Schtroumpfs_01.jpg

Is this from your thesis? Fine work!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

"Passing downs?"  How are you defining them?  Pretty sure that he was out there on most of the true passing downs, like 3rd and long.  

Supposedly he has a very good pass rush win rate.  Not sure if your "research" shows this, but he was a starter when Saleh took over.  He started the first 6 games of 2021 and played well over 50% of the defensive snaps in those games and net a whopping 2 sacks.  Then he got hurt.  He came back week 15 and played a decent amount in another 3 games.  You might better remember that as the year the Jets D was 32/32, 

Look, I don't care what you call it.  He used to play 20% or less of the plays and last year he was closer to 50%.

Call it whatever you want - but the reason for the increase in sack totals was because of the increase in downs.  

This idea that he's was just okay and had one good year is absurd.   He didn't just come out of nowhere.  

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

are you talking about last year or the years before?

didn't realize he was doing so well prior to last year - he was definitely "good" the year before.

let's see how the eagles use him.  what's your expectation for his sack total this year?

In 2023, Huff led the Jets with a career-high 10 sacks and recorded 68 quarterback pressures in 312 pass rush attempts — an NFL-leading 21.8% pressure percentage, according to Next Gen Stats

Good read: https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/philadelphia-eagles-sign-bryce-huff-analysis-details-nfl-free-agency/

-------------

My prediction is Huff will have 13 sacks this year two more than Redick's 11.  

I love that Jet fans thinks somehow Joe Douglas outsmarted the Eagles. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

In 2023, Huff led the Jets with a career-high 10 sacks and recorded 68 quarterback pressures in 312 pass rush attempts — an NFL-leading 21.8% pressure percentage, according to Next Gen Stats

Good read: https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/philadelphia-eagles-sign-bryce-huff-analysis-details-nfl-free-agency/

-------------

My prediction is Huff will have 13 sacks this year two more than Ridick's 11.  

Blindly rushing the passer on 65% of his snaps means he's not being given a lot of other responsibilities to worry about. It helps the pressure percentage when a player rarely has to read & react - let alone drop into coverage - because he's inserted on 3rd & obvious passing with only one task assigned & tacit permission to have blinders on outside that one task.

As a full-time player he'd have to sometimes drop back into coverage, as more complete LBs do, or not have the luxury of a higher percentage of plays with little to no danger of defending a handoff (aside from exclusively lining up on the left side) or a designed quick screen just over his head, it helps with such numbers.

While he surely won't get even worse in becoming more well-rounded, entering his 5th season his new HC - just like his prior ones - already humiliated him publicly by announcing a 100% healthy Huff is not capable of playing full time just yet, perhaps because he's slow to react to everything except pinning his ears back and good offenses can exploit that. That's a polite way of saying it would be a liability to the team's defense if he was out there full-time. 

Huff had a really good season, and was typically used in a way that best-suits him: situational pass rusher. He's a terrific pass rusher, was fun to watch, and I'd have been happy if they were able to re-sign him. That said, you can't force a player to sign here when the opportunity to play full-time exists elsewhere but not here. It seems they tried extending him before the '23 draft and, as Douglas put it, sometimes players just want to bet on themselves.

The only other way was tagging him at $21MM to hold him for one more season, and his holdout would've been even more likely than a player who said or indicated to the GM that he wouldn't but then changed his mind after the trade went through.

Players reach free agency sometimes, and that includes players like Huff and some better than Huff, too.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

-------------

My prediction is Huff will have 13 sacks this year two more than Redick's 11.  

outsmarted the eagles in the Reddick trade?

how would you rate the trade (prior to the start of the season)?   and how would you rate the trade if he gets 11 sacks (and no extension by the jets)?

as you know Huff didn't want to sign here so JD really didn't have an option to get him.  
But would you be willing to play him 70% of the snaps like he wanted?  put your coaches hat on.

if he gets 13 sacks for the eagles it was a great signing for them.   I like the kid and i hope he does really well.

https://sports.yahoo.com/challenge-turning-bryce-huff-every-123533628.html

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, I don't care what you call it.  He used to play 20% or less of the plays and last year he was closer to 50%.

Call it whatever you want - but the reason for the increase in sack totals was because of the increase in downs.  

This idea that he's was just okay and had one good year is absurd.   He didn't just come out of nowhere.  

This is nice, but you literally ignored what I said.  Did you read my post? 

In 2021 he played in more than 50% of the snaps in the 9 games he played and he had 2 sacks.  He had 337 snaps in only 9 games, compared to 480 in 17 games last season.  He had 7.5 sacks in 823 snaps prior to last season.

Huff is a very nice player and an excellent pass rusher.  He comes from wide and has beaten a variety of tackles, from the best in the league to some true squids.   I don't think he is very versatile, as in he can't cover and if you line him right up on a tackle he will generally get washed out.  Though he does do well with the bull rush, I think that is primarily against guys afraid he will try to run around them.  He had 10 sacks last year and two came in the season closer against a Patriots team playing for draft position and starting Sidy Sow and Vederian Lowe at T.  He didn't want to play here and cost a ton.  I don't think he is a guy that will thrive outside of DPR in every system.  

People are acting like McDonald is a bust and he had 3 sacks on 184 snaps.  FWIW, that is less snaps than Huff had any season and before 2023 his best was 3.5.  I know Huff has a higher pass rush win rate, but McDonald's wasn't bad and I am betting that when Reddick shows up he will work pretty well situationally.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is nice, but you literally ignored what I said.  Did you read my post? 

In 2021 he played in more than 50% of the snaps in the 9 games he played and he had 2 sacks.  He had 337 snaps in only 9 games, compared to 480 in 17 games last season.  He had 7.5 sacks in 823 snaps prior to last season.

Huff is a very nice player and an excellent pass rusher.  He comes from wide and has beaten a variety of tackles, from the best in the league to some true squids.   I don't think he is very versatile, as in he can't cover and if you line him right up on a tackle he will generally get washed out.  Though he does do well with the bull rush, I think that is primarily against guys afraid he will try to run around them.  He had 10 sacks last year and two came in the season closer against a Patriots team playing for draft position and starting Sidy Sow and Vederian Lowe at T.  He didn't want to play here and cost a ton.  I don't think he is a guy that will thrive outside of DPR in every system.  

People are acting like McDonald is a bust and he had 3 sacks on 184 snaps.  FWIW, that is less snaps than Huff had any season and before 2023 his best was 3.5.  I know Huff has a higher pass rush win rate, but McDonald's wasn't bad and I am betting that when Reddick shows up he will work pretty well situationally.  

is it really fair to use 2021 as a guide.  that was early in his career.  he's definitely gotten better.

how many sacks do you expect him to get this year in philly?

Just now, batman10023 said:

is it really fair to use 2021 as a guide.  that was early in his career.  he's definitely gotten better.

What choices do we have?  He was a rookie in 2020 under Gregg Williams.  He seemed promising, but nobody was too excited.  In 2021 Saleh and Ulbrich came in and gave him the starting job.  He was not great.  In 2022 he became a DPR and his pass rush win rate was top of the charts.  They didn't much seem to trust him beyond pass rush.  In 2023 they upped his snaps and cut his special team snaps fairly drastically, which presumably helped his production on D.

As for Philly, it depends how they use him and if they are playing with a lead.  How many sacks he will get will be very dependent on other factors, like that.  I think he will do fine in Philly.  They play a system fairly similar to ours and will probably let him rush wide.  However, they did seem to cut back on rush snaps for Reddick after the coaching change, and I don't know what Fangio attempts to do.  He is an old school dude that probably isn't going to put up with letting teams run on him.

Huff had an excellent pass rush win rate in 2022.  The Jets slapped a 2nd round tender on him and nobody bit.  Not even a real discussion.  By this offseason chuckleheads on this board thought we were going to tag him and get a 2nd.  I have no idea how that was supposed to work, but there are pages of it. Huff did not just "come out of nowhere" but he also isn't this elite Khalil Mack player that nobody could touch until this March.  He is a good player that got a good contract.  Can you imagine?

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I don't disagree with you, in that a player doesn't necessarily reach his ceiling as a 2nd-year player working his way up for playing time as a UDFA on a crappy team. Players get better as they gain experience, up until their physical skills decline to the point that the experience can no longer hide it enough.

That said, the argumentative premise becomes: if he succeeded then it would count, but he didn't succeed so it doesn't count. It's an unfalsifiable position.

I've got nothing against Huff. The one to make re-signing here more attractive, though, was Saleh/Ulbrich rather than Douglas. But their jobs were to put the best defense they could on the field (or the best as they saw it) rather than the best way to make it seem attractive to a player they deemed the 3rd or 4th-best all-around edge defender on the roster (JJII, JFM, Lawson), even if he was the best of the bunch in terms of being a pure/dedicated pass rusher wide off the edge.

Everyone likes more money, all other things being equal, but he was going to be a rich man no matter how things went down and all other things were not equal. What he can't buy back, even with netting a few million more after taxes, is living the rest of his life with the regret of not taking his chance by instead signing with a team that had repeatedly told him - with their actions - that he would not be an every-down type starter here unless enough others got injured.

• Upvote 1

Huff is overrated. You'll see. He'll start and play full-time for a few games until it's obvious he's an extreme liability in the run game. Then he will be the most overpaid Edge in the league. 7 sacks incoming!

32 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

At this point I want this to be as painful for Reddick as possible. 

Jets should keep playing hardball. Willy Mac is starting to flash. The  longer this goes the more leverage the Jets get. He will have to show up eventually unless he decides to retire and give up 14 million in salary AND have to pay millions in fines.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

At this point I want this to be as painful for Reddick as possible. 

Don't be surprised if Reddick never puts on a Jets uniform.

It's pretty apparent to me, this guy has zero interest in being a part of this team.

• Upvote 2

On 8/5/2024 at 1:22 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Samurai. Ninjas wear all black. Lol dweeb

They reportedly wear white jeans from Memorial Day to Labor Day in the Hamptons. 

This article is a year old, but it gives a pretty interesting perspective on holdouts from an agents point of view;

Agent's Take: Inside look at the consequences and dynamics facing Nick Bosa, Zack Martin and other holdouts - CBSSports.com

A lot of interesting insight within, but here are some key take-aways;

A holdout is ultimately a test of both sides' resolve. Once a player misses the beginning of training camp, there usually isn't much dialogue between a player's agent and the team early on when there is a contract impasse. Teams typically approach a holdout as if the player is injured, look for replacements at his position either internally or from available free agents and evaluate how the team performs with him absent. 

Most holdouts don't mind missing the daily grind of training camp but as the regular season gets closer, a player may start having second thoughts about his decision. If meaningful dialogue on a new contract resumes, it may not be until the middle of the preseason. 

Savvy teams will refrain from talking to the media about the player besides an obligatory statement about being unwilling to publicly comment on a player who isn't in training camp or that the player's contributions are valued and welcome him returning to the team when he is ready to honor his contract. 

A high-ranking front office team executive once told me that since holdouts usually are more personal to players, a team should never publicly embarrass or humiliate a player during the process no matter how illogical his position may seem to them because they'll have to deal with the fallout once he returns to the team if he doesn't get a new contract. 

Team comments can give the agent or player an opening to start negotiating the contract in the media by making their position seem more equitable than the team's in an attempt to put public pressure on the team to give into their demands. Jones runs the risk of falling into this trap with Martin because of his loquaciousness.

In most cases, fans don't take a player's side in a contract dispute with a team. The public doesn't relate to a player being unhappy with what is a lucrative contract in their eyes or rejecting a substantial offer. Unusual circumstances are required for public sentiment to be with the player. 

Some teams have a philosophy that they won't have meaningful dialogue about a new contract with a player while he is a holdout. The Raiders didn't extend offensive tackle Donald Penn's contract in 2017 until he returned to the fold shortly after the second preseason game. Obviously, this isn't applicable to Bosa or Jones. 

Other teams will take it a step further in sending a message to holdouts by rewarding players that attend team activities. The Steelers did this in 2012 by giving Antonio Brown a new deal while Mike Wallace held out.

Prominent players at impact positions have the best chance of success provided they remain patient and give the impression that they are willing to continue their absence into the regular season. 

The longer a holdout drags on, the more of a distraction it can become with coaches and teammates being constantly asked about it by the media before and after games and practices. It also helps to be on playoff contenders/teams with Super Bowl aspirations or teams where the head coach or general manager is on the hot seat. Pressure may be put on ownership to do whatever it takes to get the player back into the fold as the regular season approaches. 

• Upvote 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade