In Defense Of Robert Saleh

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They ran the ball right down our throats.  How much more conservative could they have played?!

In this particular game, one example is they could have gone for touchdowns instead of field goals.

You miss the point though.. which was.. the the Jets defense has benefited because teams play them conservatively on offense because they aren't worried about the Jets scoring a lot of points.

• Upvote 3

I think the D ran out of gas.  There were a ton of 3 and outs and the turnover.  A bit thinner at DT than DE.  SF and the Jets have the same philosophy.  They probably prepped for CMC and then had to (or fail to) adjust to a power back.  I really think the killer was Lazard's drop. He rebounded a bit, but that play really killed us from being able to control the ball a bit.  It's not excusable, but I don't think it's going to happen every week either.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the D ran out of gas.  There were a ton of 3 and outs and the turnover.  A bit thinner at DT than DE.  SF and the Jets have the same philosophy.  They probably prepped for CMC and then had to (or fail to) adjust to a power back.  I really think the killer was Lazard's drop. He rebounded a bit, but that play really killed us from being able to control the ball a bit.  It's not excusable, but I don't think it's going to happen every week either.

In the 1st half?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

NFL needs to go to a 22 game season so teams with coaches like Saleh get 5 games to "figure stuff out"

It's not fair other coaches get to ....be better at prepping  that Bobby Saleh. Did they get extra practices or something? Who knew the season started on Monday?

Objectively this was a tough assignment; arguably one of the best teams int he NFL on the road.

But it was a horrible effort across the board. When your defense gives  up 8 consecutive scoring drives(which no Jet team had done in 45 seasons of football) , forces all of 1 punt, gets pushed around like they met in the parking lot at a tailgate, missed tackles galore, it's a problem. That's with Niners not having CMC and Saleh, having been with the Niners not long ago, presumably very familiar with the Niners' coaching , schemes and personnel. Doesn't give you much confidence. Titans are looking at the tape and hoping to have their OL push the Jets' front 7 around because NFL OL live for that. And until the Jets stop it effectively, that's what were gonna see Sunday and beyond. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

It's not fair other coaches get to ....be better at prepping  that Bobby Saleh. Did they get extra practices or something? Who knew the season started on Monday?

Objectively this was a tough assignment; arguably one of the best teams int he NFL on the road.

But it was a horrible effort across the board. When your defense gives  up 8 consecutive scoring drives(which no Jet team had done in 45 seasons of football) , forces all of 1 punt, gets pushed around like they met in the parking lot at a tailgate, missed tackles galore, it's a problem. That's with Niners not having CMC and Saleh, having been with the Niners not long ago, presumably very familiar with the Niners' coaching , schemes and personnel. Doesn't give you much confidence. Titans are looking at the tape and hoping to have their OL push the Jets' front 7 around because NFL OL live for that. And until the Jets stop it effectively, that's what were gonna see Sunday and beyond. 

JFM was a knucklehead at times, but the DL was much better with him. Reddick sounds more enticing than Clemons and

Sep 9, 2024; Santa Clara, California, USA; San Francisco 49ers running back Jordan Mason (center) scores a touchdown against New York Jets defensive end Micheal Clemons (72) during the third quarter at Levi's Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Darren Yamashita-Imagn Images and McDonald combined.  

I just posted this in another post....  NO EXCUSE at all, none becase MS actually stated before the game he would exploit the middel between the tackles and he did.... 

F ran 72 plays
On 42 of the 72 they either had a FB or 2nd TE in the game. Juszczyk played 40 snaps. Eric Saubert (TE2) played 19 snaps.
They ran the ball against us 85% of the time with Saubert in the game. They were telling us what they were doing and we did nothing to adjust or change. We continued staying in light fronts with 3 down linemen, 3 LBs and we moved Ashtyn Davis or Tony Adams up into the box. It was a ******* joke. They also ran outside zone 61% of the time to make our DBs tackle who suck ass at tackling.

Can anyone, anyone justify why this HC is still here?  I can't...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, AZSOJ said:

I just posted this in another post....  NO EXCUSE at all, none becase MS actually stated before the game he would exploit the middel between the tackles and he did.... 

F ran 72 plays
On 42 of the 72 they either had a FB or 2nd TE in the game. Juszczyk played 40 snaps. Eric Saubert (TE2) played 19 snaps.
They ran the ball against us 85% of the time with Saubert in the game. They were telling us what they were doing and we did nothing to adjust or change. We continued staying in light fronts with 3 down linemen, 3 LBs and we moved Ashtyn Davis or Tony Adams up into the box. It was a ******* joke. They also ran outside zone 61% of the time to make our DBs tackle who suck ass at tackling.

Can anyone, anyone justify why this HC is still here?  I can't...

"Now one thing about the Jets is they kind of do what they do and they play.. uhh. they don't really vary a lot week to week." ~ Bill Belichick

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

I was one of the bigger Saleh fans around here the first year or two.  Really felt like he had the right pedigree and culture for this team, and was pleased that he'd be taking a more "executive" approach to coaching the whole team rather than completely slant towards the D (like Rex did). I thought it was a really good hire at the time. But he hasn't really found a way to make the team perform just a little better than it is on paper.  I've never felt like the Jets have won a game because of our head coaching or a great game plan. He's had moments, even a few with Mike White, but after almost every loss it has felt like the Jets didn't really leave their best out there on the field.

Saleh is likely to get this entire season, but if things fall off the rails and the Jets are out of playoff contention in early December then I think they may show him the door (and probably elevate Ulbrich as the interim).  Just as importantly, if Saleh does not work out it likely spells the end of JD.  I can't imagine an owner putting up with a GM not making the playoffs for 5 years and whiffing on both his handpicked QB (Zach) and handpicked HC (Saleh), regardless of having one dynamite Draft class.  Those 4 players from 2022, will not make up for the countless whiffs (Becton, Zach, Mims, Elijah Moore, etc.) and not reaching the playoffs a single time.  If this is not a successful season it feels like Woody might be ready for a reset as this team is also just a year away (MAYBE two) from needing to find a franchise QB to replace Rodgers.  Would Woody let JD pick another Head Coach AND another QB after some big whiffs?  And, heaven forbid if Sam Darnold continues to play like a Top 10 QB.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How about not using Braelon Allen on the 3rd and 1.  What was the point of drafting him if not for situations like that?  And even if putting Allen in there would make the play call obvious, don't we see the Eagles succeed with the Tush Push on a regular basis?  (Though I know that Jason Kelce is now retired so maybe things will change).

What I really couldn't stand about that series was the empty backfield on the fourth and one play. The idiocy to let the 49ers know beforehand that you were going to pass was another stupid decision.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

"Now one thing about the Jets is they kind of do what they do and they play.. uhh. they don't really vary a lot week to week." ~ Bill Belichick

Yeah it’s obvious they don’t gameplan for any opposition.

That would require thought and creative endeavor.

Saleh prefers strategically placing slogan-bearing t-shirts at players’ lockers.

He believes this to be a more efficient use of his time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/10/2024 at 4:59 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

-The Jets' schedule came out on May 15th.  That left Saleh with only 117 days to prepare for last night's game.  I think the schedule was released in the middle of the day, too, so it was arguably only 116 days.

-Saleh was previously 4-0 in 2024 (the glorious win against the Patriots and the 3 preseason wins).  We were due for a loss.  You can't criticize the guy for winning at an 80% clip.

-SF ran the ball down our throats but, to be fair, Javon Kinlaw played in the Super Bowl last year so he had a much shorter offseason than most players did.

-JD drafted an OL in the 1st round this year.  How can we expect Saleh's defense to produce without new 1st rounders being added to the defensive pipeline on an annual basis?

-Saleh has been saddled with Zach Wilson as his starting QB for almost the entirety of his tenure.  We have to give him a few years with a real QB to find out what kind of a coach he really is.  In a sense, this is Saleh's rookie season.  Be patient!

-SF is a really good team.  It's unrealistic to expect us to be able to compete against them.  Our Super Bowl dreams rely on us beating a bunch of bad teams in the postseason.

Potw

• Upvote 1

That's not how Woody sees it.

... How are we in this position ??? ...

I keep clinging to the 3% chance that Maybe Saleh is a good coach dealt the worst hand in the history of football ... But then I wake up and realize that high school level game planning will never win a division.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

A team should not spend the entire off season planning for the first game. That is a ridiculous notion in my opinion.

You spend the off season preparing for 17 games (ideally more). Then you take it one week at a time when the regular season arrives.

Also - SF had as much time to prepare for us as we did for them.

42 minutes ago, jamesr said:

A team should not spend the entire off season planning for the first game. That is a ridiculous notion in my opinion.

You spend the off season preparing for 17 games (ideally more). Then you take it one week at a time when the regular season arrives.

Also - SF had as much time to prepare for us as we did for them. emoji6.png

Also - SF had as much time to prepare for us as we did for them. 

In other words, when Robert Saleh goes up against a top tier HC, our team gets annihilated. 

THAT'S THE POINT!

In theory, we're trying to win a SB during the very short window that we have AR8 here.  

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In other words, when Robert Saleh goes up against a top tier HC when they both have a lot of time to prepare (not that it would've been any different on any length of prep time), our team gets annihilated.  

Surely you haven't forgotten that he beat BILL BELICHICK at the end of last year? One of the best HCs of all time??? :D  

If I were to point the finger at one thing that made the biggest difference on Monday I'd say it was coaching. Shanny game planned, schemed and adjusted better than we did. Far better. He saw what was working, and what wasn't, and kept doing it. We didn't seem to do anything to adjust. I think this goes back to the comment earlier that we play how we play every week, there isn't a different plan. It's who we are - and this week it didn't work.

I don't believe we lacked the talent to win that game. I believe we lacked the ability to deploy that talent to win that game.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Looks like SF spent their time more wisely.

If you gave each coach a day to game plan for each other, I think Shanny comes out on top.

If you gave each coach a week to game plan for each other, I think Shanny comes out on top.

etc

etc

We didn't lose because we have a barren roster. We lost because we didn't maximise the use of that roster.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

If you gave each coach a day to game plan for each other, I think Shanny comes out on top.

If you gave each coach a week to game plan for each other, I think Shanny comes out on top.

etc

etc

We didn't lose because we have a barren roster. We lost because we didn't maximise the use of that roster.

There’s always an excuse for saleh, it’s the qb, the OL, the injuries, you name it.  Now he’s out of excuses.  He’s got Tenn, NE at home and minny on a neutral field.  And the broncos.  If they can’t get to at least 3-3 everyone’s calling for his head.  

• Upvote 3

On 9/10/2024 at 7:59 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

-The Jets' schedule came out on May 15th.  That left Saleh with only 117 days to prepare for last night's game.  I think the schedule was released in the middle of the day, too, so it was arguably only 116 days.

-Saleh was previously 4-0 in 2024 (the glorious win against the Patriots and the 3 preseason wins).  We were due for a loss.  You can't criticize the guy for winning at an 80% clip.

-SF ran the ball down our throats but, to be fair, Javon Kinlaw played in the Super Bowl last year so he had a much shorter offseason than most players did.

-JD drafted an OL in the 1st round this year.  How can we expect Saleh's defense to produce without new 1st rounders being added to the defensive pipeline on an annual basis?

-Saleh has been saddled with Zach Wilson as his starting QB for almost the entirety of his tenure.  We have to give him a few years with a real QB to find out what kind of a coach he really is.  In a sense, this is Saleh's rookie season.  Be patient!

-SF is a really good team.  It's unrealistic to expect us to be able to compete against them.  Our Super Bowl dreams rely on us beating a bunch of bad teams in the postseason.

good points.  saleh has failed to develop into a real head coach.  oh he talks this line about being the ceo of the team but that's not the right job description for an nfl head coach.  of course this probably plays better with woody.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

There’s always an excuse for saleh, it’s the qb, the OL, the injuries, you name it.  Now he’s out of excuses.  He’s got Tenn, NE at home and minny on a neutral field.  And the broncos.  If they can’t get to at least 3-3 everyone’s calling for his head.  

Yep. SF was going to be the tough early test - it was a fail. Not a shock, but still a disappointment.

But if the next tests - that should be "easier" ones - are also fails, that seat of his is going to heat up super quick.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good points.  saleh has failed to develop into a real head coach.  oh he talks this line about being the ceo of the team but that's not the right job description for an nfl head coach.  of course this probably plays better with woody.

if you want to be the CEO guy - you need to bring in guys below you who are top-notch in their own areas. Then you can take the "hands off" approach and let each guy execute his own area. But if the guys below you aren't up to the job - you'll quickly get found out.

Hackett still looks like a flop. But Saleh brought him here and put him in that position (unless the Woody / Aaron conspiracy theories absolve him of that 😜). Ulbrich I'm still not sure on - he seems to have mostly good games and a few stinkers. But if he never improves as a result of those stinkers he'll be the guy that's good enough for the playoffs but never good enough for the championship.

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is Mason a power back? Regardless, the OL was bulldozing our DL and LB's. You could run for 150 yards behind them.

They just got punched in the mouth and Saleh got schooled by Shanny.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Yep. SF was going to be the tough early test - it was a fail. Not a shock, but still a disappointment.

But if the next tests - that should be "easier" ones - are also fails, that seat of his is going to heat up super quick.

To simply keep his job saleh doesn’t have to be a stud coach.  He needs to win enough games.  If you give a guy like harbaugh this roster he should be able to eke out 10 wins and a wc birth.  If you can’t beat Tenn, denver and NE at home and minny in london, you don’t deserve to be a hc in the nfl anymore.  If nothing else, these next 6 games or so will show us what happens this offseason.  B/c even if they’re doing well and then rodgers is out for the year again, rodgers may say ok i tried, I’m gone, and then what?  Would woody really keep saleh again if the team fades with taylor?  Can’t imagine.  Would he let douglas draft another qb?  Maybe, more likely douglas stays than saleh.  But i just want some resolution to this situation. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, jamesr said:

if you want to be the CEO guy - you need to bring in guys below you who are top-notch in their own areas. Then you can take the "hands off" approach and let each guy execute his own area. But if the guys below you aren't up to the job - you'll quickly get found out.

Hackett still looks like a flop. But Saleh brought him here and put him in that position (unless the Woody / Aaron conspiracy theories absolve him of that 😜). Ulbrich I'm still not sure on - he seems to have mostly good games and a few stinkers. But if he never improves as a result of those stinkers he'll be the guy that's good enough for the playoffs but never good enough for the championship.

Yep, and that’s why it doesn’t work on a football team.  All anyone needs to do look how involved coaches like mcvay, or shanahan, or even bellichicken are on game day.  They’re always thinking a couple of plays down the road and aren’t afraid to call plays.  Saleh is lucky if he makes a decision for a time out or referee challenge.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Yep, and that’s why it doesn’t work on a football team.  All anyone needs to do look how involved coaches like mcvay, or shanahan, or even bellichicken are on game day.  They’re always thinking a couple of plays down the road and aren’t afraid to call plays.  Saleh is lucky if he makes a decision for a time out or referee challenge.

You can’t have a parcells anymore.  The hc needs to be good at something.

Ok, first off, a 33 year old Mike coming off a hand injury…being only 2 LBs against a team that enjoys running the ball? Mosely don’t even like playing close to the line. Maybe if you had 7 or 8 men in the box, and kept Reed and Sauce on an island, that’d make sense.

But you find yourself against Kyle Shanahan, and that formidable OL, 2 TEs and Juszczyk, I’m assuming  a full-grown Trent Williams with an extra 20-30 lbs against 6 men in the box. You lose that battle. You lose that battle nine times out of ten.

tumblr_inline_mmz2upU5gm1qz4rgp.gif