D will need to Stop Pats Rb Stevenson

kevinc855

This will be a huge key to Thursday night. Stevenson has over 200 yards over 2 games and is averaging a workload of at least 20 carries per game. 

With a LOUD Metlife Thursday night and an average QB in Jacoby Brissett, I expect to see alot of Stevenson. McDonald on the edge worrries me as he isnt know for setting the edge for the run game and just bull rushing. 

Saleh and Ulbrich need to scheme this out.....

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This will be a huge key to Thursday night. Stevenson has over 200 yards over 2 games and is averaging a workload of at least 20 carries per game. 

With a LOUD Metlife Thursday night and an average QB in Jacoby Brissett, I expect to see alot of Stevenson. McDonald on the edge worrries me as he isnt know for setting the edge for the run game and just bull rushing. 

McDonald is only known for bull rushing? Kevin please you are embarrassing yourself. He had 3 sacks and 4tackles. Pretty sure couple of those tackles were for a loss. If Mosley doesn't play and Echols does pretty sure that will help. 

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The most important element, Jet up 

and be ready to heckle if they lose 

Fortunately nothing else about the pats offense really scares me so we'll be ok just loading the box, but man our run defense needs to step up significantly compared to the first two weeks. Don't love the idea of a no name backup in week1 and a guy who was jettisoned from his last team in week 2 tearing us up. This week we're going up against a bonafide RB1 on short rest. We were supposed to be the bully defense; hopefully we see that this Thursday.

• Post of the Week 1

My top concern is the offense actually scoring.

This pats team knows what it's doing. Brissett will NOT turn the ball over and they will wear the Jets down with short plays until they can break a few long ones needed to win. Just like they grinded out the Bengals. Regardless of how we do, they will likely score 13-21 points and take a lot of game clock doing it.

If the jets can get a lead and force brissett to actually try and beat them, I'm pretty sure we'll win. But the jets need to jump out the gate hot and not get sucked into a grind-out game - I'm not confident we can win one if so. The patriots will be thinking the same thing, get their noses in front and then sit back, contain the big plays and wait for mistakes.

If it's a slow start this week with the usual Hackett weak early game plan, I'm very worried for this team. Where's "all gas, no brakes" when you actually need it? ... 

• Upvote 1

The only thing I take heart from is that Rodgers shouldn't (🤞) be falling for the type of disguised scheme bull crap our other recent QBs have in patriots games. We need him to move the ball, but even moreso to avoid mistakes. I'm a little worried about him getting strip sacked but not being fooled by coverages, at least. 

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The reason this is a great thread for discussion is that Saleh and Ulbrich dont seem to EVER scheme things out.  They play their system regardless of injuries, opponent, weather etc, and its cost us games before.

With the new rules, the practice squad isnt just for young guys anymore and Im shocked they couldnt bring in Al Woods last week to get 4-5 practices under his belt and then activate him for this game.  Maybe Sherwood being in there for mosley will help (it will certainly add speed) but this is a game where we need to be in a base 4-3 and bring clark down into the box instead of that ridiculous "3-safety" look we used in SF with Ashytn Davis.

We will also likely be giving a decent amount of snaps to Jayln Holmes, Suratt, Mcgregor and Watts or Taylor none of whom are known as run stuffers so it will really come down to a schematic change for the defense which is scary

• Upvote 1

All kidding aside, the lack of beef up front is a concern.

NE wants to avoid putting the ball in the air.

I'd expect a lot of heavy sets:  more 12, 22, and even 13 personnel.

Jets need to counter with heavier personnel in their gameday 53 or adjust tactically.

Play single high or even cover 0.

Load up the box and dare Brissett to take some risks down the field.

Hopefully Saleh isn't a complete idiot and realizes this.

Would be nice if we could see preseason beast Leonard Taylor III get a chance.  Is he injured?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I'm hopeful that LT III gets on the field on Thursday night.

At 6'03 & 305 lbs he is big enough that he should hold up well at the point of attack, against the run.

12 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The reason this is a great thread for discussion is that Saleh and Ulbrich dont seem to EVER scheme things out.  They play their system regardless of injuries, opponent, weather etc, and its cost us games before.

With the new rules, the practice squad isnt just for young guys anymore and Im shocked they couldnt bring in Al Woods last week to get 4-5 practices under his belt and then activate him for this game.  Maybe Sherwood being in there for mosley will help (it will certainly add speed) but this is a game where we need to be in a base 4-3 and bring clark down into the box instead of that ridiculous "3-safety" look we used in SF with Ashytn Davis.

We will also likely be giving a decent amount of snaps to Jayln Holmes, Suratt, Mcgregor and Watts or Taylor none of whom are known as run stuffers so it will really come down to a schematic change for the defense which is scary

The Jets obviously have more talent, but this is actually a bad matchup for them.

NE's strength offensively and playcalling lean is to their run game, which the Jets have shown an inability to stop thus far.

There likely won't be a ton of sacks or INTs because NE won't throw more than 25 passes (if they can help it) and the ones they do throw will be quick game or at best short to intermediate because they have no real weapons on the outside, no deep threats.

HH and the RBs will be the key targets in the passing game.

I'd expect a ton of screen game and delayed screen game when they do throw the ball.

NE should probably be 2-0 right now.  This will not be an easy win.

Unlike a Saleh-coached team, NE won't beat themselves with crushing penalties and mental errors.

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

He is the offense.  Antonio Gibson is a nice compliment.

15 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Do you blame them? Chances are it’ll work

No of course not.

That’s the smart thing to do.

It’s the star players coughing up the ball, too, not just scrubs.

Breece and Garrett have been loose with the football, and coach cupcake Bobby is too nice of a guy to actually do anything about it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

No of course not.

That’s the smart thing to do.

It’s the star players coughing up the ball, too, not just scrubs.

Breece and Garrett have been loose with the football, and coach cupcake Bobby is too nice of a guy to actually do anything about it.

He should super glue the ball to both of their hands. Teach them a lesson. 

Jets are 1-13 in their last 14 nationally televised games, last years opener the only win. They key is for the stadium to be PACKED and LOUD!!!

If they win this game I’ll be very happy with 2-1. But their impressive track record speaks for itself