Davante Adams trade comp poll

Earlies pick you'd give up for Davante Adams, is?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What would you give up?

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I give up nothing.  I don't trade for Adams.

We have more than enough WR talent.  If Rodgers can't make it work, Adams isn't going to change that.

And I'm not investing another dollar in the JD/Saleh regime beyond this season now.  

Fans love to dream of saviors and panacea one-move "big name" answers.  Lol.  

There is a lot of truth to this 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

No higher than a 3rd, and as fun as it sounds. I’m not 100% convinced it’s the right thing to do. 

the number 1 change this team needs is a new coaching staff.

i’d trade a 1st for a proven head coach 

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh need this Aaron Rogers investment to pay off, or they'll both be on the hot seat. I think they'll pay their taxes so to speak and cough up a 2nd rd pick. Otherwise keep the picks and trade Garrett Wilson.

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

You aren’t wrong but the difference between last year of the quitter and this year with Rodgers has been pretty astounding. Lazard isn’t a rats pubic hair the receiver Adam’s is, so Id do it.

It'll be very unpopular to say here on "we love big name saviors" JN, but I don't have any belief that 31 year old Devante Adams is a meaningful upgrade over G. Wilson at WR.  Nor do I think the re-connection with Rodgers will be as seamless and instant as so many here do.

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Truth is this likely the last days of this regime anyways, so why not go out swinging? Guess we can file this under one fat man’s morbid curiosity? 

Why not?  Because big decisions have meaningful consequences that extend beyond this season, and potentially this regime.

I don't want to be sitting here two seasons from now reading the usual lamenting threads how "Adams is so washed, why are we paying him XX $ when we needed a young WR for (insert new young QB here) we didn't draft?"

I was find giving Reddick a little something for 2025 to get him playing, but Adams deal currently runs through 2026 at material cost.  I don't want to see the next regime (if that comes to pass) crushed by cap hits for not just Rodgers but now Adams too?

• Upvote 1

The Raiders had better throw in some draft picks in that case.
But its not the craziest deal I've heard ... Would give the Jets Adams and draft capital for the QB trade up during the draft.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

No higher than a 3rd, and as fun as it sounds. I’m not 100% convinced it’s the right thing to do. 
Are there any possibilities you see for this .. I support that 10000 percent.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Doesn't Adams have sone power here?  He's due 36 million each of the next 2 years so will have to restructure with the team trading for him. 

He's on record saying if he leaves it would be to reunite with Aaron. 

Adams is due to make $35M per year the next two seasons (after this one), but it’s not guaranteed so he can be cut with no cap hit after this year. So, since no one is going to pay him $35M a year for the next two seasons, any team that trades for him can either see it as a rest-of-season rental (planning to cut him after the season), or restructure with him (likely before the trade) to give him a long term deal under more reasonable terms for the team.

Adams’ power comes in the second scenario — is he willing to take less the next few seasons to go to the team he wants to play for, or is he going to look for his last big payday and go to the team that offers the most money for his next three (or so) seasons?

The Raiders, or course, could just trade him to whatever team offers the best deal — but in that case, without a long term deal (under reasonable financial terms for the team), teams will offer less.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

With his contract this is essentially a 1 year rental. A 3rd is as high as I'd go. If someone wants to go crazy with a 2nd they can have him.

Maybe I'd throw in a 6th if it really needed to be more than just a 3rd but again this is a 1year rental 

It wouldn't be a 1 year rental tho.   Not sure where you're getting that. 

His deal would be restructured I'm guessing through 25' which gives us almost 2 seasons with the ARod Adams connection. 

2 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Adams can be cut with no cap hit after this year. So, since no one is going to pay him $35M a year for the next two seasons, any team that trades for him can either see it as a rest-of-season rental, or restructure with him (likely before the trade) to give him a long term deal. Adams’ power comes in the second scenario — is he willing to take less the next few seasons to go to the team he wants to play for, or is he going to look for his last big payday and go to the team that offers the most. The Raiders, or course, could just trade him to whatever team offers the best deal — but in that case, without a long term deal (under reasonable financial terms for the team), teams will offer less.

No one is trading for him on a 1 year rental..  That's my point. 

He'll just tell the team other than the Jets  he does not want to sign with them forcing the Raiders to deal with Joe or get nada. 

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It'll be very unpopular to say here on "we love big name saviors" JN, but I don't have any belief that 31 year old Devante Adams is a meaningful upgrade over G. Wilson at WR.  Nor do I think the re-connection with Rodgers will be as seamless and instant as so many here do.

Why not?  Because big decisions have meaningful consequences that extend beyond this season, and potentially this regime.

I don't want to be sitting here two seasons from now reading the usual lamenting threads how "Adams is so washed, why are we paying him XX $ when we needed a young WR for (insert new young QB here) we didn't draft?"

I was find giving Reddick a little something for 2025 to get him playing, but Adams deal currently runs through 2026 at material cost.  I don't want to see the next regime (if that comes to pass) crushed by cap hits for not just Rodgers but now Adams too?

I stop convincing myself long ago that this team past a decade of not having a winning team will ever do what I want them to do. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

No one is trading for him on a 1 year rental..  That's my point. 

He'll just tell the team other than the Jets  he does not want to sign with them forcing the Raiders to deal with Joe or get nada. 

Why wouldn't he want to go to NO though. Similar situation as us. And they're NFC

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

It wouldn't be a 1 year rental tho.   Not sure where you're getting that. 

His deal would be restructured I'm guessing through 25' which gives us almost 2 seasons with the ARod Adams connection. 

The trade compensation would be interesting. Years ago Julio Jones went for a 2 and a 4/6 swap. Jones had more realistic time on his contract when the trade with the Titans occurred (Jones was under contract for three years) as Adams contract is structured as more of a 1 year deal. Adams salary in 2025 is not guaranteed and balloons up to $36.25M that year. He has the same salary in 2026. When the contract was negotiated the 2025 and 2026 salaries were only included to boost the annual value of the contract and were considered unlikely to be earned.

https://overthecap.com/the-cost-to-trade-for-davante-adams

restructuring is another option, a more complicated option, but an option. I think for the purposes of making the trade you want to look at it as a 1 year rental even if you think you can restructure.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I’m with you and (gasp!) Warfish on this one — I’d trade a 4th (possibly a 3rd) for one year rental (or maybe a restructured deal that includes the next couple of seasons for something reasonable — like in the $18-$20M per season range) … but I’m far from convinced that this will upgrade our offense enough to substantially increase our chances of making a deep run at a championship. Frankly, if I had to choose one, I think I’d rather see a motivated Reddick on this team than Adams.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Why wouldn't he want to go to NO though. Similar situation as us. And they're NFC

I'm just going by what he said.  He only wants to reunite with Aaron. 

Could he be lying?  sure.  It just didn't sound like he was. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

We have more than enough WR talent.  If Rodgers can't make it work, Adams isn't going to change that.

And I'm not investing another dollar in the JD/Saleh regime beyond this season now.  

He's not guaranteed anything past 2024, so technically they don't have to invest another dollar beyond this season. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

On paper we have enough WR talent. But we don't have enough WR who know how to play with Rodgers. Bringing in Devonte would help Wilson more than anything. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

The Rams won a superbowl trading for saviors.  A pick in the late 50s next year or Davante Adams at a reasonable price (I'm sure he'll give the team a discount) doesn't seem like much of a choice. 

This.  Not only this, but everyone thought the Rams would be toast after selling their souls for a Superbowl lottery ticket.  Here we are 3 seasons later and they're still competitive.

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He's not guaranteed anything past 2024, so technically they don't have to invest another dollar beyond this season. 

And I'm sure Devonte will be ok with that when he gets traded, and won't want some extensions/new guarantees, right?

Just like Reddick.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And I'm sure Devonte will be ok with that when he gets traded, and won't want some extensions/new guarantees, right?

Just like Reddick.

Apples and oranges. Adams is playing this season under his current deal and has made no demands with the Raiders for a new deal. Lot’s of veteran players are one year rentals — Smith and Williams are currently on the Jets as one year rentals. In Adams’ case, he wouldn’t even be a one year rental, technically, as his deal runs two more years after this season. But the Jets could release him and not pay any of that money. So it would be behoove the team trading for him to restructure his deal beyond this season (if they want him beyond this season), but hitting free agency would not be a bad thing for Adams.

2 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Apples and oranges. Adams is playing this season under his current deal and has made no demands with the Raiders for a new deal. Lot’s of veteran players are one year rentals — Smith and Williams are currently on the Jets as one year rentals. In Adams’ case, he wouldn’t even be a one year rental, technically, as his deal runs two more years after this season. But the Jets could release him and not pay any of that money. So it would be behoove the team trading for him to restructure his deal beyond this season (if they want him beyond this season), but hitting free agency would not be a bad thing for Adams.

Guess we'll see.  We're all speculating how people will react or what they want, we'll see (if this ever gets to that point) how they actually do.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think he is going to hold out?  I don't, but that would be awesome!

I think it's reasonable to expect a money-focused WR who left Rodgers the first time because he demanded to be the highest paid WR in the NFL, to want any new team to ensure he is still the highest paid WR (or at least to guarantee his remaining years on his current contract) before he'd play.

But who knows, maybe all the fans are right, and he'll come here selflessly and without demand, his hamstring will heal itself, and he'll rock socks for us, while making G. Wilson so much better too and not in any way disgruntled, who knows.  These things usually work out great for us, right?

3 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

3rd at most. 

Not throwing away a 2nd round pick for not even a full season rental. 

the list of teams willing to give a 3rd rounder for a 12 week rental seems small.

i'd guess a bunch would give up a 4th rounder

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Adams only has - in effect - this current deal left on his Raiders contract, unless you think the Jets (or anyone) is going to pay 32 year-old Adams a non-guaranteed $36MM in 2025 (and another $36MM in 2026). His deal was always a lot of fluff on paper the moment it was signed: a 5-year deal that was effectively a 3-year deal.

If they do this, they'd be trading for:

1. Adams for the remainder of 2024

2. First dibs on extending him beyond 2024, for an obviously lower amount called for under his existing contract.

I didn't think he was worth the ordeal myself, but admittedly a lot of that was based upon talk of a 2nd rounder and more that was previously thrown around. If it's just a 3rd rounder, for example, well ok they have an extra 3rd rounder in 2025 as it is. 

It's a less-than-one year deal at about $12-13MM. That's it. Less money than they were willing to pay Reddick, which you were fine with paying.

If they do extend him beyond this year, it's not any more harmful than signing him as a FA in March after his inevitable release from the Raiders, other than they have a better firsthand assessment of what he is as opposed to what he was.