Davante Adams trade comp poll

Earlies pick you'd give up for Davante Adams, is?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What would you give up?

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This reminds me of when Idzik wasted draft capital trying to save his job by trading for that stiff from Florida.

Percy Harvin definitely better than Adams. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I believe Garrett Wilson wants out

why do people keep creating this narrative? Stopping teams from relentlessly bracketing him would do wonders for his numbers and get him payed eventually. Im sure he's sick of being on Alcatraz weekly....

The 2nd part too, hes made too many mental errors this year for me to care about his feelings.....he's not ready to be a WR1 yet. Let him learn from one of the best. 

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If I’m Devante Adams, I’m not going anywhere without getting guaranteed money for the next two years of my deal. 

He doesn’t have that choice. His leverage is, the Raiders can likely get a higher pick from a team that isn’t seeing it as a rental for less than a full season — a team that wants him beyond this year and is willing to renegotiate a contract that guarantees Adams some money over the next two to three seasons. So if Adams is willing to play ball with someone, the Raiders can likely get more in return.

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If I’m Devante Adams, I’m not going anywhere without getting guaranteed money for the next two years of my deal. 

This to me is the biggest sticking point.  Jets have relented against long term deals to this point (see Reddick and recent 1 year deals) so this would be a philosophy change to extend Adams.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And I'm sure Devonte will be ok with that when he gets traded, and won't want some extensions/new guarantees, right?

Just like Reddick.

Meh Reddick's the exception, not the rule.

Such a situation would be even more of an exception midseason, after all offseason Adams had zero to say about any potential holdouts or contract impasses with the Raiders, even that's a year after they dumped his buddy QB and replaced him with Garoppolo whom they then replaced with Minshew to go along with benched draft pick O'Connell. 

Truthfully I don't know how I feel about it, but my resistance to it is a lot less if it's something like a 3rd rounder when they have two of them in April and plenty of cap space available. Also a lot less than it was back before I realized Corley was unusable (at least so far), Wilson for all his obvious talent still running routes sloppily, and the team still repeatedly putting that stiff Gipson on the field on crucial 3rd downs.

• Upvote 1

No way this trade to the Jets happens-it makes way too much sense and one thing we have come to know about Joe Douglas is he doesn't seem to be a very smart or savvy GM. How he left this team without a QB last year was all I ever need to know about that guy. He never seems to make the deals that NEED to be made-not to mention letting the best pass rusher this team has had since Parcells drafted Abraham go and got NOTHING in return NOTHING-then this whole Eagles guy deal is strike 3 as far as I'm concerned

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

why do people keep creating his narrative? Stopping teams from relentlessly bracketing him would do wonders for his numbers and get him payed eventually. Im sure he's sick of being on Alcatraz weekly....

The 2nd part too, hes made to many mental errors this year for me to care about his feelings.....he's not ready to be a WR1 yet. Let him learn from one of the best. 

So we’ve learned 1) Wilson cannot be great on his own 2) he’s made many mental errors.

As Seinfeld would say, “And you want to be my Latex Salesman?”

(Point being, Wilson isn’t someone the Jets should cater to.  Trade for Adams)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

So we’ve learned 1) Wilson cannot be great on his own 2) he’s made many mental errors.

As Seinfeld would say, “And you want to be my Latex Salesman?”

(Point being, Wilson isn’t someone the Jets should cater to.  Trade for Adams)

Yep, that's a good one.

We also would have accepted:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

No way this trade to the Jets happens-it makes way too much sense and one thing we have come to know about Joe Douglas is he doesn't seem to be a very smart or savvy GM. How he left this team without a QB last year was all I ever need to know about that guy. He never seems to make the deals that NEED to be made-not to mention letting the best pass rusher this team has had since Parcells drafted Abraham go and got NOTHING in return NOTHING-then this whole Eagles guy deal is strike 3 as far as I'm concerned

Might as well fire up the New GM thread now if that's the case because if they don't find a way to win this year we've reached the end of the rope with this regime

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh Reddick's the exception, not the rule.

Such a situation would be even more of an exception midseason, after all offseason Adams had zero to say about any potential holdouts or contract impasses with the Raiders, even that's a year after they dumped his buddy QB and replaced him with Garoppolo whom they then replaced with Minshew to go along with benched draft pick O'Connell. 

Truthfully I don't know how I feel about it, but my resistance to it is a lot less if it's something like a 3rd rounder when they have two of them in April and plenty of cap space available. Also a lot less than it was back before I realized Corley was unusable (at least so far), Wilson for all his obvious talent still running routes sloppily, and the team still repeatedly putting that stiff Gipson on the field on crucial 3rd downs.

Not sure how you feel or not, you and the bulk of the forum make it sound like a near-freebie no-brainer with no downsides for the Jets.

So guess we'll see. 

As an aside, what'll really make me laugh is when, after JD DOESN'T make it happen, watching who here turns around and defends JD from any criticism for not doing it, lol.

4 hours ago, Pac said:

Doesn't Adams have sone power here?  He's due 36 million each of the next 2 years so will have to restructure with the team trading for him. 

He's on record saying if he leaves it would be to reunite with Aaron. 

Unless he’s a 2024 season rental….you can cut him with no cap charges post June 1 next year if what I read was correct.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Not sure how you feel or not, you and the bulk of the forum make it sound like a near-freebie no-brainer with no downsides for the Jets.

So guess we'll see. 

As an aside, what'll really make me laugh is when, after JD DOESN'T make it happen, watching who here turns around and defends JD from any criticism for not doing it, lol.

My thing is this.....

What are the odds if we trade 2 3rds for example for him. That those 3rds will help us as much as Adams likely would for sure this year and we'd likely get him to stay for at least 1 more year on a discount.

Let's also not forget that Wilson, Gipson and Corley are our only WRs for sure under contract next year.

Wilson hasn't been great this year. Gipson has done nothing and Corley can't even get on the field.

Just now, extmenace said:

Unless he’s a 2024 season rental….you can cut him with no cap charges post June 1 next year if what I read was correct.

Yes but my point is the no one, including the Jets are trading anything of significance for a 13 game rental. 

Adams can dictate where he goes knowing that he can ride out the year, get released, and go where he wants anyway. 

There is zero chance he's going anywhere he doesn't agree to. 

James Jones who's very close with Adams seems to think New Orleans is where he goes.

Obviously Carr at QB he mentions as well as I guess there WR coach was a father figure for him in HS and was with him at Fresno State and was a big reason he went there.

We have just Rodgers to entice him.

We might be the "obvious" choice. But New Orleans seems to be the more OBVIOUS choice.

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I love how 5 secs later everyone forgets this HC is a loser and thinks Jerry Rice or Randy Moss would make a difference w this team. 

Not sure I like your tone, bub. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

James Jones who's very close with Adams seems to think New Orleans is where he goes.

Obviously Carr at QB he mentions as well as I guess there WR coach was a father figure for him in HS and was with him at Fresno State and was a big reason he went there.

We have just Rodgers to entice him.

We might be the "obvious" choice. But New Orleans seems to be the more OBVIOUS choice.

NO has 3 mil available in cap.  Too much hoop jumping to make it work. 

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

NO has 3 mil available in cap.  Too much hoop jumping to make it work. 

If I understand correctly, the Jets cap space number is currently inflated by Reddick being on the exempt list and not on the roster — if he decides to walk in the door, the Jets cap space is suddenly about the same as the Saints.

I am so scared that we are going to get d Adams, and then not make playoffs. Everyone just assuming oh that is all we need to make the offense work. 

Not what we need is a competent OC to game plan and call plays. Hackett is so bad. we literally have been outcoached every game. 

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My thing is this.....

What are the odds if we trade 2 3rds for example for him. That those 3rds will help us as much as Adams likely would for sure this year and we'd likely get him to stay for at least 1 more year on a discount.

I've seen several people make the "at a discount" claim. 

Where are you guys getting this discount idea from, because it's certainly not from Adams or his career to-date.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Let's also not forget that Wilson, Gipson and Corley are our only WRs for sure under contract next year.

Wilson hasn't been great this year. Gipson has done nothing and Corley can't even get on the field.

Rodgers hasn't been "great" this year either, by almost any QB production metric you might like to cite. Neither has Adams himself.

I get it, everyone wants to win now, I do too, and we all know this whole JD/Rodgers thing is likely this year or bust.

I just don't want to be facing a lack of assets if it does bust, Rodgers is gone, and a new regime is here trying to rebuild the pieces.

The length and breadth of that possible rebuild will depend on things like selling picks for a one-year-Adams rental.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I love how 5 secs later everyone forgets this HC is a loser and thinks Jerry Rice or Randy Moss would make a difference w this team. 

HC is a bum.

DeVante Adams is really good.

Venn Diagram... empty

4 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

If I understand correctly, the Jets cap space number is currently inflated by Reddick being on the exempt list and not on the roster — if he decides to walk in the door, the Jets cap space is suddenly about the same as the Saints.

Reddick isn't walking through sht until week 10. His idiotic emotional holdout  isn't ending any time soon. 

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

Reddick isn't walking through sht until week 10. His idiotic emotional holdout  isn't ending any time soon. 

Probably true. But that’s a bit hard to plan around. And even budgeting about $6M Reddick (under the scenario where he reports for the last 7 games) means we don’t have enough cap space to fit Adams without doing some gymnastics with other contracts. So, yeah, we’re a bit better off than the Saints … but the difference isn’t as big as the published numbers today would suggest.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I've seen several people make the "at a discount" claim. 

Where are you guys getting this discount idea from, because it's certainly not from Adams or his career to-date.

Rodgers hasn't been "great" this year either, by almost any QB production metric you might like to cite. Neither has Adams himself.

I get it, everyone wants to win now, I do too, and we all know this whole JD/Rodgers thing is likely this year or bust.

I just don't want to be facing a lack of assets if it does bust, Rodgers is gone, and a new regime is here trying to rebuild the pieces.

The length and breadth of that possible rebuild will depend on things like selling picks for a one-year-Adams rental.

I think he, like Rodgers (who restructured last year and gave away pretty much 30mill) wants to win at this stage. And if taking a bit less means the chance of winning increases... I think he'd do it. He's got his money in his career.

I think he only gives that discount to us and New Orleans. Because that's where he wants to be. Anywhere else I don't think he gives that discount.

We very well could be a playoff team without Adams. Season ends today and we're in. This regime might be safe for all we know. I do think it's a playoffs or bust thing for them. JD I think knows this. So IMO it's stupid to risk your job over a 2nd rounder or even less. That 2nd rounder stands a small chance to being as good as Adams will be this year and possibly even a future year or 2.

Let's also think about the the longer we can have Rodgers here the more value he has to us. As long as he's playing like he is even this year. Paying him dead money in a couple years isn't the greatest. But you think if we trade for Adams and Adams gets 2025 and 2026 guaranteed at a decent price that Rodgers isn't more inclined to for sure play next year and possibly even in 2026? That where A LOT of us think his window with us is this year and hopefully next year. That maybe even 2026 with his dead cap possibly he could still want to play if his buddy is still here. I know those odds are increased if Adams is here than not. Now debating whether we even want a 42 year old Rodgers at QB for in that year is a different conversation.

I do know that I'm not not going all in over maybe having to sacrifice the 52nd overall pick maybe next year.

I say 52nd bc that pick was Adonai Mitchell. WR for Indy.

Are you not trading that pick to have Adams a proven elite WR for at least 10 games plus likely another year or 2? Is Mitchell so good that you don't make a deal like that?

An FYI Mitchell has 2 catches for 32 yards in 4 games this season.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think he, like Rodgers (who restructured last year and gave away pretty much 30mill) wants to win at this stage. And if taking a bit less means the chance of winning increases... I think he'd do it. He's got his money in his career.

That's a nice thought, but I personally doubt it.  I think he'd want every single penny possible.  Like most players.

We very well could be a playoff team without Adams. Season ends today and we're in. This regime might be safe for all we know. I do think it's a playoffs or bust thing for them. JD I think knows this. So IMO it's stupid to risk your job over a 2nd rounder or even less. That 2nd rounder stands a small chance to being as good as Adams will be this year and possibly even a future year or 2.

The exact reason why, as an Owner, you generally don't want a lame-duck GM and Head Coach, because they can make short-term self-interested decisions potentially not in the best interest of the franchise or it's future.

Let's also think about the the longer we can have Rodgers here the more value he has to us. As long as he's playing like he is even this year. Paying him dead money in a couple years isn't the greatest. But you think if we trade for Adams and Adams gets 2025 and 2026 guaranteed at a decent price that Rodgers isn't more inclined to for sure play next year and possibly even in 2026? That where A LOT of us think his window with us is this year and hopefully next year. That maybe even 2026 with his dead cap possibly he could still want to play if his buddy is still here. I know those odds are increased if Adams is here than not. Now debating whether we even want a 42 year old Rodgers at QB for in that year is a different conversation.

I have a hard time seeing Rodgers here playing past this year.  He's getting beat up, he's performing as a barely mid-tier QB, and all it's doing is tarnishing his legacy.  This year would have to be great, in terms of results, close to a title or near enough, to see him want to run it back again here.  JMO.

I do know that I'm not not going all in over maybe having to sacrifice the 52nd overall pick maybe next year.

I say 52nd bc that pick was Adonai Mitchell. WR for Indy.

Are you not trading that pick to have Adams a proven elite WR for at least 10 games plus likely another year or 2? Is Mitchell so good that you don't make a deal like that?

An FYI Mitchell has 2 catches for 32 yards in 4 games this season.

Except that's not really the way it works.  It's the 52nd pick and any player who was available at or after the 52nd pick, not just Mitchell.

For example, Devante Adams was the 53rd pick in his draft class.  

We don't know if they guy we could/will take at 52 is a Mitchell or an Adams, but there is great talent available every single year at pick #52.  

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I have a hard time seeing Rodgers here playing past this year.

Wait, you pile on me for saying that "Garrett looks lost in the offense right now", but you are allowed to say you "don't see Rodgers  playing beyond this year"????

I will pull the Warfish on you--Have you talked with him? Do you see that in his eyes? Is this telepathically messaged just to you?

See now how it is?😉

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think it's reasonable to expect a money-focused WR who left Rodgers the first time because he demanded to be the highest paid WR in the NFL, to want any new team to ensure he is still the highest paid WR (or at least to guarantee his remaining years on his current contract) before he'd play.

But who knows, maybe all the fans are right, and he'll come here selflessly and without demand, his hamstring will heal itself, and he'll rock socks for us, while making G. Wilson so much better too and not in any way disgruntled, who knows.  These things usually work out great for us, right?

What does this even mean?  He is owed this year.  Do you think he would hold out?  Why?  He has 2 years at $36M after this one.  He'd be ecstatic if anyone would do that, but we surely won't.  

My real question is this:  Do you not want him at any price?  There are guys and times I understand that, but in this case, that seems crazy.  I get not wanting to pony up big money for him in 2025 or giving up too much draft capital.  Still, they HAVE to kick the tires on this.  Through three games this year he is performing about the same as he did last year pace for 170+ targets, 100+ catches and 1,100 or so yards.  He is as plug and play for a Rodgers team as it gets.  I think we probably share a dislike of getting off building something through the draft to this attempt to win now with geezers, but we are in it now, so don't half ass it. I want to go whole ass!

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So guess we'll see. 

Before the season, my take was they should be fine at receiver. The biggest x-factor seemed to be Williams & how ready he'd have been, but 4 of those first 5 games were expected to be somewhere between should-win and very-winnable. Now they're coming off an embarrassing loss at home to Denver, and are facing off with a suddenly powerful Minnesota team QB'd by Darnold.

Now? If they are designing plays for Gipson on crucial downs it means they aren't fully satisfied with their top 3 WRs (let alone the WR they traded up to get in April), while their TEs are just ok. No real go-to guy, and Wilson was supposed to separate himself as such this season with the obvious QB upgrade. So I don't think they should need to pick up Adams, but depending on what they give up I could go along with it, too. 

There are certainly people who defend Douglas from any transgressions, and also those who just hate him. I think Saleh's the worse of the two, but If this year's another failure I'd fully expect him to get canned right along with Saleh. It may not be as good a roster as some thought, but no one can possibly think Saleh & company are getting the most out of it either.

Anyway if picking up Adams costs a 3rd next season, when they already have two, I dislike that a lot less than trading two 3rds in the current year's draft to move up in round 1 for a guard in a draft with OL as the strongest position group with serious prospects two rounds deep. Yeah and Becton, Mims, Moore, plus iirc I think they drafted some QB that didn't pan out too great. 

Counter argument.  We aren't winning a SB with Rodgers and Adams.  Were better off not tying up more cash in Rodgers Super friends for the next GM and HC.   Were better off if Woody cleans house than making the playoffs and lossing in the wild card round.   Rodgers is going to be up and down all year no matter who is around him.  He's on the back 9  limping into the clubhouse for a few drinks.