Guess who has more catches and more yards on a lot less targets than Garrett Wilson?

Yes, Brock Bowers is keenly aware of the laurels being lobbed at him.

No, the Las Vegas Raiders rookie tight end is not about to rest on any of them. Not with the Raiders riding a three-game losing streak, despite Bowers setting marks not seen in at least a generation.

"I mean, I see stuff on Twitter and stuff," Bowers acknowledged. "But our focus is for the team to win games. So, you get on that track."

The thing is, with the Raiders' record just 2-5, it would be a muted celebration of Bowers' early-career accomplishments anyway.

Bowers' 47 receptions not only led the entire NFL through Sunday's games, he had the most catches by any tight end through their first seven career games since 2000.

Plus, Bowers' 47 catches are the third-most by any player in his first seven games in NFL history, trailing just Puka Nacua (58) and Saquon Barkley (49).

And Bowers' 477 receiving yards, which led all NFL tight ends through Sunday, were also the third most by a tight end in his first seven games in NFL history. Only Pro Football Hall of Famer Mike Ditka (505 in 1961) and Kyle Pitts (484 in 2021) had more.

"Even when he's covered, he's open," Raiders coach Antonio Pierce said. "That's how I look at it. Throw him the rock, big hands, big mitts, he catches everything around him."

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, the Las Vegas Raiders rookie tight end is not about to rest on any of them. Not with the Raiders riding a three-game losing streak, despite Bowers setting marks not seen in at least a generation.

"I mean, I see stuff on Twitter and stuff," Bowers acknowledged. "But our focus is for the team to win games. So, you get on that track."

The thing is, with the Raiders' record just 2-5, it would be a muted celebration of Bowers' early-career accomplishments anyway.

Bowers' 47 receptions not only led the entire NFL through Sunday's games, he had the most catches by any tight end through their first seven career games since 2000.

Plus, Bowers' 47 catches are the third-most by any player in his first seven games in NFL history, trailing just Puka Nacua (58) and Saquon Barkley (49).

And Bowers' 477 receiving yards, which led all NFL tight ends through Sunday, were also the third most by a tight end in his first seven games in NFL history. Only Pro Football Hall of Famer Mike Ditka (505 in 1961) and Kyle Pitts (484 in 2021) had more.

"Even when he's covered, he's open," Raiders coach Antonio Pierce said. "That's how I look at it. Throw him the rock, big hands, big mitts, he catches everything around him."

I wanted the Jets to draft Bowers.  So far, we have not seen Fashanu, but with the way Smith has worked out, I'm guessing Fashanu was the smart pick over Bowers.  

And the Jets would still probably be awful even if they had Bowers.  He'd be languishing rather than setting the league on fire with numbers. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It was NEVER going to happen and was NEVER the pick.  

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I wanted the Jets to draft Bowers.  So far, we have not seen Fashanu, but with the way Smith has worked out, I'm guessing Fashanu was the smart pick over Bowers.  

That cannot be emphasized enough.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

And the Jets would still probably be awful even if they had Bowers.  He'd be languishing rather than setting the league on fire with numbers. 

He’s started two games..

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can guarantee you that if the Jets would have drafted said TE, he would absolutely suck and be considered and already be declared the biggest bust of the 2024 draft. When will you all understand that the Jets are the reverse-Midas of sports?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Bowers on track to shatter rookie records for a TE and I've still had people tell me that Olu was the "right pick" in a win now year.  Imagine being so unwilling to admit you're wrong that you'll say a guy sitting on the bench will do more for this team in 2024 than the dude who just set the rookie record for catches by a TE through his first seven games.

We should never have been in the position where we needed to draft another LT! ….. whether instant starter or not, 5 years of failure to address the o-line are why, when we should’ve been adding the finishing flourishes with Bowers, we burned yet another high pick on OL…I don’t hate the Fashanu pick and hopefully he’ll more than justify his selection in time but it was obvious Bowers had something special and would’ve been a beautiful weapon to have. The Becton failure, and subsequent knock on errrors, continues to cost us

• Upvote 1

I wanted Bowers.  I made it pretty clear.  I still believe though that if Olu becomes a top-10 starting LT, it was a good pick.  The only thing I could never get on board with though was drafting a kid 10th or 11th overall because you need "depth".  **** out of here with that nonsense.  Find depth anywhere else.  If you're taking Olu over Bowers, it's because you see him being a PB talent in the near future.  The amount of times I read "do you know how often Smith gets hurt?  This pick HAS to be an LT".  Mind-numbing.

The arguments were always OT vs TE, instead of Bowers vs Olu or Bowers vs anyone else.  When you take the prospects out of it and draft based on position, this is the type of sh*t that happens.  

Luckily the book is far from written on Olu.  If he becomes a top-10 LT and you draft a kid like Tyler Warren who becomes a stud, no one will give a **** about any of this.  Right now though, for sure, it doesn't look good.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Bowers on track to shatter rookie records for a TE and I've still had people tell me that Olu was the "right pick" in a win now year.  Imagine being so unwilling to admit you're wrong that you'll say a guy sitting on the bench will do more for this team in 2024 than the dude who just set the rookie record for catches by a TE through his first seven games.

The best one is the guys that said he was slow, only could catch balls at or behind the line of scrimmage, was undersized and that he couldn’t block. 

whooo hoooo hoooo ha hoo Dee bundle rooosskiii doooooo

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You are probably correct but with the way Smith has been playing and the acquisitions of Williams in the offseason and Adams via trade there is an argument to be made that even in a win now season, Olu was still the right pick. Rodgers has plenty of targets. He has plenty of weapons. They are not being used properly. They are not executing. The run game has been struggling. And the defense can't stop the run. This isn't something Bowers would solve. He's not making an underwhelming Raiders team win despite his record breaking numbers. And with this coaching staff, he'd probably be on the bench next to Corley cuz they cant figure out how to use him. 

How many times do we come on here and complain that we don't have a blue chip pure LT that can pass block, protect our QB? This has been an issue for years and years since D-Brick. Becton busted. JD makes another selection to get a Franchise LT for the future of the franchise and we complain. I get it, win now season. I get it, you draft the player, not the position. 

But it seems like JD is being proven right with Smith playing like absolute dog****. And this is before the inevitable injury forcing him to miss games or landing him on IR. Olu has already had to step in (out of position at RT) to fill in for Moses. 

The way you make it sound, Olu was a useless pick and Bowers would have made this team 5-2 which is far from a fair way of assessing the selection and ignores a lot of other issues going on with this team that have made it underachieve. 

JMHO.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

I’m not disputing Bowers abilities, I just doubt he’d be having the same immediate success with the Jets.

Rogers seems to need to work with his receivers for a pretty extended period of time before he feels comfortable throwing to them.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I wanted Bowers.  I made it pretty clear.  I still believe though that if Olu becomes a top-10 starting LT, it was a good pick.  The only thing I could never get on board with though was drafting a kid 10th or 11th overall because you need "depth".  **** out of here with that nonsense.  Find depth anywhere else.  If you're taking Olu over Bowers, it's because you see him being a PB talent in the near future.  The amount of times I read "do you know how often Smith gets hurt?  This pick HAS to be an LT".  Mind-numbing.

The arguments were always OT vs TE, instead of Bowers vs Olu or Bowers vs anyone else.  When you take the prospects out of it and draft based on position, this is the type of sh*t that happens.  

Luckily the book is far from written on Olu.  If he becomes a top-10 LT and you draft a kid like Tyler Warren who becomes a stud, no one will give a **** about any of this.  Right now though, for sure, it doesn't look good.

The bottom line to me is that JD's poor drafting of O lineman and poor management of draft selections forced him into a need pick in the first round in the 2024 draft. If you are drafting correctly, evaluating your roster honestly, signing solid, value free agents and managing your picks efficiently, by your 3rd draft you should not be pigeon holed into a need pick in round 1. Am I the only one that thinks it is weird that the Jets made a luxury BPA pick in the first round of 2023, but then had a desperate need pick to make in 2024?

I like the "idea" of JD -  a hard nosed football guy making sound long term football decisions and drafting solid O lineman. But the "reality" of JD has been a completely different show.

46 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

I’m not disputing Bowers abilities, I just doubt he’d be having the same immediate success with the Jets.

The Jets are where offensive players go to die.

"He has more catches and yards than Garrett Wilson" is dumb. If Garrett Wilson played on a real team he'd be killing it which is exactly why he's going to demand a trade this offseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That was actually my guess when I saw the thread title. Some Jets also ran who escaped to better pastures (granted Cleveland is not really greener pastures.)

I just quickly googled to see how he's doing and saw this...

Speaking to the media after the game against the Bengals, head coach Kevin Stefanski stated that Moore was sidelined early in the game due to disciplinary problems. Stefanski stated he would keep what the discipline was for internally, but was open enough to let the media know he was subject to team punishment.

What a nutso. 

47 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I just quickly googled to see how he's doing and saw this...

Speaking to the media after the game against the Bengals, head coach Kevin Stefanski stated that Moore was sidelined early in the game due to disciplinary problems. Stefanski stated he would keep what the discipline was for internally, but was open enough to let the media know he was subject to team punishment.

What a nutso. 

Yeah, Douglas really whiffed on the background checks for Mims and Moore. Couple of headcases.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The bottom line to me is that JD's poor drafting of O lineman and poor management of draft selections forced him into a need pick in the first round in the 2024 draft. If you are drafting correctly, evaluating your roster honestly, signing solid, value free agents and managing your picks efficiently, by your 3rd draft you should not be pigeon holed into a need pick in round 1. Am I the only one that thinks it is weird that the Jets made a luxury BPA pick in the first round of 2023, but then had a desperate need pick to make in 2024?

I like the "idea" of JD -  a hard nosed football guy making sound long term football decisions and drafting solid O lineman. But the "reality" of JD has been a completely different show.

Wait I'm confused.  You're saying because JD has been so bad at drafting OL, he had no choice but to draft an OL this past year?  I'm struggling to see the logic there.  If a guy sucks at something, why make him continue to do it?  Especially when there is a slam-dunk game changer staring him in the face.  

Even still I don't agree with this.  AVT has been a solid guard, Tippmann looks like the center for the long-term, and it's way too early to judge one way or the other on Olu.  Dude hasn't even played the position he was drafted to play yet.  His success rate on OL in the top 2 rounds is probably on par with league average at this point, and well above that if Olu pans out.  

• Upvote 1