McNabb to Oakland looking more likely

PS17

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5038866

The Oakland Raiders have emerged as the leading candidate to land quarterback Donovan McNabb in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, league sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

1753.jpg

McNabb

The sources say all the ingredients for a trade are in place. Of all the teams the Eagles have spoken with, the Raiders have been the most willing to meet the Eagles' asking price. Last week, The Associated Press reported that the Eagles want a pick in the top 42 of the 2010 draft for McNabb. Oakland has a second-round pick that is the 39th overall selection.

Also, the sources say McNabb's contract, which has one year and $11.2 million left on it, has scared off other teams. But, the sources say, Oakland is not concerned that McNabb is due a $6.2 million roster bonus on May 5 nor that the quarterback is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2010 season.

Mosley: Best Deal

mosley_matt_m.jpg Donovan McNabb can't be too happy that he might leave the Eagles for the hapless Raiders, writes ESPN's Matt Mosley. Blog

There also are connections between the Raiders and McNabb. Raiders owner Al Davis and McNabb each went to Syracuse, and Oakland's new offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson, is a distant cousin of McNabb's.

Should Oakland trade for McNabb, it would be the most stark admission by the Raiders that former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell has not been the player the team had hoped. Oakland selected Russell with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft and awarded him a six-year, $68 million contract that included $31.5 million in guaranteed money.

One source familiar with trade discussions said no deal was done with Oakland. But other league sources predicted it soon would be done in a trade that would be the NFL's biggest offseason move.

And although McNabb has informed coach Andy Reid that he wants to stay with the Eagles and, if he has to be traded, would prefer to go to a winning team such as the Minnesota Vikings, the sources say the Eagles will do what they believe is best for team even if it means trading McNabb to the Raiders, a team with a recent history of losing.

McNabb and four others, including cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown and punter Sav Rocca were no-shows at the Eagles' non-mandatory workouts on Monday, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Poor Donovan. Stupid Eagles.

Yeah. I can say I'd feel bad for McNabb if he got shipped out to the ****ing Raiders.

That saying, "you don't know what you got 'til it's gone," Iggles fans might want to check that out.

This deal would be a lose/lose for the Raiders and McNabb...and a steal for Philly. It's ridiculous to give a 2nd rounder for a guy who won't be signing with the Raiders long term and who is already 33 years old. Even if Oakland had McNabb, they're at best a 6 win team.

This is good for Jets fans. We need the Raiders to win as many as games so the Pats don't get a Top 10 pick.

I thought we no longer had to worry about the Patriots? I thought they sucked and were going to be 0-16 forever. Could've fooled me.

More like as long as they have TB. BB was nothing w.o TB.

See: Cleveland + first 18 games in New England.

True, but you the more experience you have the smarter you get. I personally think Tom Brady's best days are numbered. He's still going to be a productive QB, but I don't think we'll ever see the old Tom Brady.

I hate BB, but he's a genius.

True, but you the more experience you have the smarter you get. I personally think Tom Brady's best days are numbered. He's still going to be a productive QB, but I don't think we'll ever see the old Tom Brady.

I hate BB, but he's a genius.

Patriots fan. :lol:

I often wonder what Tanny would have done had the Jets been in a position to take Russell. Judging by past drafts, he goes with the team leader more than the raw physical talent. I'd like to think he would have passed on him.

That's all i remember from when they scouted Sanchez, was his command of the practice and the guys around him.

Oakland has the ingredients to be a decent team; they need to strengthen their OL and get a QB. Aside from that, they have a great TE, talent at RB, highly drafted WRs, and a stout defense (though Rob Ryan is gone)...

McNabb just might be what the doctor ordered.

Oakland has the ingredients to be a decent team; they need to strengthen their OL and get a QB. Aside from that, they have a great TE, talent at RB, highly drafted WRs, and a stout defense (though Rob Ryan is gone)...

I agree.

I think in the end this will be a great look for Mc Nabb and Oakland. He's going to a team that yes is horrible AT THE MOMENT, and will lose their best defensive player (Nnamdi) in the trade for him but he's going to make that offense instantly better. WR's are only as good as the awareness of their QB and we can admit that oakland hasnt had a legit QB since Gannon. I tell you this though, he'll get more love in Oakland then he ever did in Philly. Fans are horrible and cried for years even though they had a top 5 QB for a decade.

This makes them instantly better than the Chiefs and they could really fight for the second spot over the Broncos in that division. Splitting a season series with the Chargers is possible also. If they do well in the draft the Raiders could have the most upside team wise this year with this trade.

I actually think that Al Davis got it right on this one. If you're going to pay a player "QB" money it surely better be a QB and not a CB.

Bad thing now is that you'll have to release Russell and dump that money, (Lane Kiffin looks like a genius right about now doesnt he :-)), and they no longer have a shut down corner if this goes down so they're going to have to really step up on defense.

This is going to be a very interesting year in the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5038866

The Oakland Raiders have emerged as the leading candidate to land quarterback Donovan McNabb in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, league sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

1753.jpg

McNabb

McNabb can't be too happy that he might leave the Eagles for the hapless Raiders, writes ESPN's Matt Mosley. Blog

I'm sure McNabb is thrilled by this . :roll:

+1

I'm sick of this ***** attitude of "trade me to a winner". How about you make the team you are on a winner? There are some pieces there in Oakland. If they had some cohesion and a little more than a black hole at QB they have the opportunity to compete.

I agree.

I think in the end this will be a great look for Mc Nabb and Oakland. He's going to a team that yes is horrible AT THE MOMENT, and will lose their best defensive player (Nnamdi) in the trade for him but he's going to make that offense instantly better. WR's are only as good as the awareness of their QB and we can admit that oakland hasnt had a legit QB since Gannon. I tell you this though, he'll get more love in Oakland then he ever did in Philly. Fans are horrible and cried for years even though they had a top 5 QB for a decade.

This makes them instantly better than the Chiefs and they could really fight for the second spot over the Broncos in that division. Splitting a season series with the Chargers is possible also. If they do well in the draft the Raiders could have the most upside team wise this year with this trade.

I actually think that Al Davis got it right on this one. If you're going to pay a player "QB" money it surely better be a QB and not a CB.

Bad thing now is that you'll have to release Russell and dump that money, (Lane Kiffin looks like a genius right about now doesnt he :-)), and they no longer have a shut down corner if this goes down so they're going to have to really step up on defense.

This is going to be a very interesting year in the NFL.

I don't see anything in that article that suggests they will be moving Asomougha. It's a 2nd round pick for McNabb.

McNabb would have nothing to lose. If that team succeeds, he will be considered a golden god. If they don't he slinks away another superstar that couldn't turn around that struggling franchise.

Steve Corkran of the Oakland Tribune reports an ESPN report Monday said that the Raiders are the leading candidate to land Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb in a much-rumored trade that could be consummated soon.

If so, that's news to the Raiders.

Two Raiders employees remain steadfast that the Raiders haven't even spoken with the Eagles about McNabb, who is in the final year of his contract.

Also, Eagles coach Andy Reid said last week that he isn't seeking to trade McNabb, just listening to offers.

Last week, several reports surfaced about the Raiders dangling Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha as part of the compensation for McNabb.

The two Raiders employees contacted about this story said Asomugha isn't available for trade, and they scoffed at the mention by ESPN.

i heard a rumor the Raiders were gonna trade Aso to the Pats for a 5th round pick.

I heard Aso's name mentioned in this deal also. Only the Raiders would be stupid enough to do this.

The thing that boggles my mind is why a team like the Raiders would make a deal like this when they are much more then a QB away from contention. I could see Arizona, or Minnesota(if Favre retires) because they are close but the Raiders?

Only crazy Al would make such a move trading away a young player(draft pick or Aso) for a guy that isn't going to be in his prime for too much longer.:confused:

man, who did HE piss off in Philly so bad?

He's just in a bad spot. There is no way Philly is going to trade him to an NFC contender so that rules out Minnesota or Arizona.

The Raiders operate like they are one player away from a championship and are rumored to be offering Nmadi and a pick. Would you turn that down if you were the Eagles?

Personally, I think the Eagles are making a huge mistake as I don't see Kolb as a long term solution. He is the one they should be trading. Get value for him while you can while not taking a step back as an organization which will be the end result of trading away McNabb.

I heard Aso's name mentioned in this deal also. Only the Raiders would be stupid enough to do this.

The thing that boggles my mind is why a team like the Raiders would make a deal like this when they are much more then a QB away from contention. I could see Arizona, or Minnesota(if Favre retires) because they are close but the Raiders?

Only crazy Al would make such a move trading away a young player(draft pick or Aso) for a guy that isn't going to be in his prime for too much longer.:confused:

Aso with the Raiders is a dicey situation with the front office because he has a clause in his contract. I caught on ESPN that if he were to get tagged after this year he will be making the average salary of the top 5 paying QBs = almost 20 mil per year. As good as Aso is, his demands have become inflated because the Raiders are a joke of an organization and have been paying him ludacris $$$ for years now. This probably has alot to do with the Jets trying to extend Revis NOW, because Aso could set a really bad precedent and cost the Jets a ton of cash in guaranteed money.

All signs look that Aso is gonna be a Raider this year because the two have tremendous contracts and bonuses this year, and it'll be difficult for the two to move them at the same time. It will be interesting next season (whereever Aso is) because he's going to be worth a TON to any team in a long term extension.

Although there's a ton of talent at TE, RB and high ceiling players at WR, I don't think McNabb would do well there. They still have a terrible o-line, and would need to address it immediately because McNabb is a very injured prone QB that will get killed early and often

Archived