Trading Vernon Gholston?

nodimwithere

What would the Jets seek in return for Vernon Gholston? Gholston has been basically a non-entity with the team so far, and looks to be totally out of his element.

If another team came calling for VG, what would the Jets demand in return? Late round draft choice? Another player? What?

in my opinion he could turn into a a decent 4-3 de. If he dosent ask for much money of course, a team could possibly take a chance with him.

If we do decide to trade him we could get vernon for a fourth. anything lower would be stupid.

What would the Jets seek in return for Vernon Gholston? Gholston has been basically a non-entity with the team so far, and looks to be totally out of his element.

If another team came calling for VG, what would the Jets demand in return? Late round draft choice? Another player? What?

Dream on. He's on the verge of getting cut and everyone else knows it. Ain't nobody givin us diddly squat for him. :biggrin:

Maybe the Saints would take him. They seem to be doing pretty well with Vilma.

The two aren't even remotely close to being compared. Vilma was a good linebacker in a 4-3 system and then the Jets changed the system and he didn't fit. VG is terrible but was supposed to fit our system. Vilma went to a team running a 4-3 base and has thrived. Comparing the two is apples and oranges.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/everson-griffen?id=496790

Here's something I don't get, Everson Griffen has almost the same combine numbers and scouting report as Gholston did but one gets hyped up and the other doesn't. Griffen only did 32 reps on the bench press and Gholston did 39, I think thats the only big difference between them. And both have a rep for inconsistent effort, they both have pretty much the same scouting report.

Here's something I don't get, Everson Griffen has almost the same combine numbers and scouting report as Gholston did but one gets hyped up and the other doesn't. Griffen only did 32 reps on the bench press and Gholston did 39, I think thats the only big difference between them. And both have a rep for inconsistent effort, they both have pretty much the same scouting report.

Because Gholston set the blueprint for the future for guys that mirror him...scouts pretty much follow suit until proven otherwise.

Only 1 player on the Jets roster is more difficult to get rid of right now, and thats Mark Sanchez. We cannot trade or cut Gholston at this time, even without the cap, which is why Rex has said that he thinks Vernon can turn it around next season. After all, we're stuck with him, might as well be optimistic.

The two aren't even remotely close to being compared. Vilma was a good linebacker in a 4-3 system and then the Jets changed the system and he didn't fit. VG is terrible but was supposed to fit our system. Vilma went to a team running a 4-3 base and has thrived. Comparing the two is apples and oranges.

What I dont understand is how a middle linebacker cant thrive in a 3-4 base but can thrive in a 4-3 base?? In a 3-4 base he is next to another middle linebacker and gets help, but in a 4-3 base he is all alone. That just dosent make any sense.

What I dont understand is how a middle linebacker cant thrive in a 3-4 base but can thrive in a 4-3 base?? In a 3-4 base he is next to another middle linebacker and gets help, but in a 4-3 base he is all alone. That just dosent make any sense.

because he's too small, I couldn't stand watching him get pushed around and run over by RB's

In a 3-4 a MLB is having to shed a lot more blocks from interior lineman so if you're a great 4-3 LB but you're tiny, you get eaten up in a 3-4. Look at a prototype 4-3 MLB as opposed to a 3-4 MLB and you'll see the 3-4 MLB's tend to be larger. A MLB in a 4-3 has 2 DT's in front of him occupying interior lineman so he can be smaller and run around making plays. Vilma was getting swallowed up and made invisible in the 3-4.

In a 3-4 a MLB is having to shed a lot more blocks from interior lineman so if you're a great 4-3 LB but you're tiny, you get eaten up in a 3-4. Look at a prototype 4-3 MLB as opposed to a 3-4 MLB and you'll see the 3-4 MLB's tend to be larger. A MLB in a 4-3 has 2 DT's in front of him occupying interior lineman so he can be smaller and run around making plays. Vilma was getting swallowed up and made invisible in the 3-4.

Ooooo ok

i honestly cant see any team come calling for gholston, when his contract is up he will be out of the league.

If i were the jets i would just give him away.

I agree. Similar to how we handled the Dewayne Robertson situation. It was more about getting his money off of our books and a useless player off of our roster.

You have the best avatar quote ever by the way. I really LOL'd when I read it. :Ban:

Bruce Banner with another great draft question

dude we should do a podcast you bring questions and i'll answer em... it would be really... um... boring!

anyway i think this is a combination of Gholston's year being very weak and Griffen's being very strong. Everyone loves to bash GHolston but no one has a rational answer for who the Jets shoulda picked instead. It was just an off year... kinda tough to draft high.

This year, Charlie Casserly said it was the deepest crop for 30 years. Kiper said Ndamukong suh was the best prospect he's seen in 30 years. there are several other legit first round DE... JPP, Morgan, Graham etc... and there is an excellent bumper crop of DE who might be in round 2 and beyond like Hughes, Sapp, Gibson, Carrington, Cunningham etc... all that pushes Griffen down.

Griffen is known around the program as a streaky player who could have done more with his talent. but the talent is real... 17 sacks in 3 years is actually a good productive college career and the Pac10 has good prospects at offensive tackle. Jason Pierre Paul has 6 career sacks and will probably go before Griffen.

part of the problem is fit the 4-3 teams think he's too short and the 3-4 teams wonder how he operates in space..

end of the day Griffen's value is probably between 15-25 but there's a good chance he's gonna be there at 29... and also a good chance the Jets pass on him. The money they have invested in Gholston would be a deterrent, as would signing Jason Taylor. Also the overall deepness of the class means another really good guy could drop... at a different position.

but he is a rex ryan type of player... seems to get after it pretty good in drills... I believe they would take griffen over dunlap for character reasons... stay tuned...

1 copy of Jesse James and Sandra Bullocks sex tape?

An old water cooler. Id be very happy with that, as the water cooler would cost a lot less and give us more money to sign players.

If anyone offers a bag of peanuts for him, the Jets should take it. But I don't see it happening.

Maybe in the right system he could be of some use to someone. But the team that trades for him would take over his contract, I believe. From what I've read his base salary this year is 3.5M (going up to 4.6M in the last year). That's a lot of money for a guy that has done nothing so far in the pro's.

Archived