Thoughts on 18 game schedule

edscuba

I liked this idea about sitting each player for two game and getting rookies into games. Your thoughts?

Expanding the regular season to 18 games is negotiable in the view of the dozen agents interviewed by the AP. Each of them cited player safety and the increased chance for injuries as the major stumbling block to a longer regular season.

Don Yee, who represents league MVP Tom Brady, suggested a longer season be accompanied by increased roster size from 53 players to 58, all eligible to play on game day; currently, only 45 can suit up, plus a third quarterback. He also would institute a rule that prohibits any player from appearing in more than 16 games."This compromise will create even more interest from fans," Yee said. "What two games will the head coach sit the starting QB? That's a discussion that will set sports talk radio airwaves afire.

"This compromise will also be popular with coaches and general managers who want a greater opportunity to develop younger players. The NFL doesn't have a minor league, and this compromise will force meaningful participation by younger players on the roster.

"Players also would endorse this because each would effectively get two bye weeks during the year. Bye weeks afford important healing time and personal time away from the game."

Hate this idea so much. Why water down the importance of every game that much more? To gouge fans that much more? The owners a f@cking scumbags. I hope there are 50 games blacked out across the league next season.

Ok. Do you want an 18 game season or keep it as is?

Ok. Do you want an 18 game season or keep it as is?

Goodell is a lousy snake-oil salesman. He says that "the fans" don't like pre-season games, which is a lie. Fans don't like paying full price for pre-season games. If Goodell or the owners had an iota of concern for what the fans "want," they'd stop forcing season ticket holders to pay for pre-seasons.

As for the 18 game season, it's a miserable idea. As it stands, each team that has any designs on winning a title has a small margin of error during the season--each team gets maybe one or two games where they can afford to get upset by a lesser squad or have a no-show game. What makes the NFL worthwhile is the urgency to win each and every game, moreso after the aforementioned bad loss. Expanding to 18 games will let a team essentially piss away 2-3 games during the season and not jeopardize their playoff positioning. In the NHL, NBA and MLB, teams can throw away full halves of seasons and still remain in the playoff picture. If the NFL thinks that's what fans enjoy, they're morons who deserve to have their stadiums half-empty by the time November rolls around.

I dont like the idea of 18 games. Its just too long. I really believe one of the big reasons that so many decent playoff teams do so poorly year to year is because the bodies of the players cant handle playing the 17, 18, 19, etc... game schedule. They come back at a disadvantage. Now you are asking teams to play into the 20s and everyone else to play 18. The quality of play is going to go way down. Plus it pushes everything too far. You are going to be playing on Labor Day again and I dont think anyone wants that. You lose two weeks with your team instead of one, and the playoffs are now going to start later in January. I just dont think its what everyone wants. They pretty much have it perfect as it is.

Its no surprise agents would say it is negotiable in the eyes of the players. More games equals more money for players and more players that need agents. That is a bonanza for the agent.

Hate this idea so much. Why water down the importance of every game that much more? To gouge fans that much more? The owners a f@cking scumbags. I hope there are 50 games blacked out across the league next season.

Amen. Amen. Amen.

Sing it over.

Seriously you have the best roster in football. Yet not everyone of your players can play every game. I hate the idea of an 18 game schedule in general.

Don Yee, who represents league MVP Tom Brady, suggested a longer season be accompanied by increased roster size from 53 players to 58, all eligible to play on game day; currently, only 45 can suit up, plus a third quarterback. He also would institute a rule that prohibits any player from appearing in more than 16 games."This compromise will create even more interest from fans," Yee said. "What two games will the head coach sit the starting QB? That's a discussion that will set sports talk radio airwaves afire.

Like the expanded rosters, hate the 16 game rule - and I think every coach in the league would hate it, too. When do you sit your starting QB for an entire game or two? Most of them get knocked out for a couple games, anyway. The Colts sit Peyton at the end of the season. More depth will be a necessity for both injury and rotational purposes. Every team will need to go to a RB by committee.

I dont like the idea of 18 games. Its just too long. I really believe one of the big reasons that so many decent playoff teams do so poorly year to year is because the bodies of the players cant handle playing the 17, 18, 19, etc... game schedule. They come back at a disadvantage. Now you are asking teams to play into the 20s and everyone else to play 18. The quality of play is going to go way down. Plus it pushes everything too far. You are going to be playing on Labor Day again and I dont think anyone wants that. You lose two weeks with your team instead of one, and the playoffs are now going to start later in January. I just dont think its what everyone wants. They pretty much have it perfect as it is.

Its no surprise agents would say it is negotiable in the eyes of the players. More games equals more money for players and more players that need agents. That is a bonanza for the agent.

I don't think they'll be playing on Labor Day again. The league moved the season back because of lack of interest. Too many people barbecuing, and not enough at home watching the game. That's not gonna change. I think the goal is to move the Super Bowl to the Sunday before President's Day. That way everyone will already have off for National Hangover Day, and won't have to call in sick. That mid-Feb Super Bowl in NJ is gonna be awesome!

I don't like the idea of an 18 game schedule, either, but it's inevitable.

the worst part will be a feb 25th super bowl

there is NO WAY the nfl has regular season games before labor day. they won't do that to their sugar daddies, the networks. since this is all about money, they will not stick it to the networks and make them air regular season games when the country is on vacation

but roger has conveniently left that out of the discussion

the best way to improve the NFL is to impose a rookie cap on those stupid mega deals, and take that money and put it into health care for the retired guys

then leave everything else the **** alone

It is a dumb idea to sit each player two games - 18 game schedule is all about money as we all know- players will not agree to it unless they really get better health coverage and expanded rosters as starting point.

Love the idea. Always have.

Anything that reduced meaningless exibition games and replaces them with games that count = improvement.

The average full time every-down player would average, over the course of the 20 weeks of an NFL Pre/Season, a grand total of 2-3 plays per week more in an 18 game seson than a 16 game season.

2 plays/week.

The real joke is Pre-Season, meaningless unneccessary exibition games. Teams don't "need" that time, not with all the OTA's, mincamps and training camp. It's aunneeded luxury used to milk fans for half-asses shoddy proct. One thing college football got right, exibitions are lame, play um' and they count, period.

I'll love an 18 game season, and the increased rosters that will undoubtedly come with it.

The fact that 18 will piss so many off, a clear bonus.

Anything that reduced meaningless exibition games and replaces them with games that count = improvement.

The average full time every-down player would average, over the course of the 20 weeks of an NFL Pre/Season, a grand total of 2-3 plays per week more in an 18 game seson than a 16 game season.

2 plays/week.

The real joke is Pre-Season, meaningless unneccessary exibition games. Teams don't "need" that time, not with all the OTA's, mincamps and training camp. It's aunneeded luxury used to milk fans for half-asses shoddy proct. One thing college football got right, exibitions are lame, play um' and they count, period.

I'll love an 18 game season, and the increased rosters that will undoubtedly come with it.

your entire analysis is 100% off, hiney wiping variety

2 plays/week.

You wacky contrarian, you.

Like the expanded rosters, hate the 16 game rule - and I think every coach in the league would hate it, too. When do you sit your starting QB for an entire game or two? Most of them get knocked out for a couple games, anyway. The Colts sit Peyton at the end of the season. More depth will be a necessity for both injury and rotational purposes. Every team will need to go to a RB by committee.

I don't think they'll be playing on Labor Day again. The league moved the season back because of lack of interest. Too many people barbecuing, and not enough at home watching the game. That's not gonna change. I think the goal is to move the Super Bowl to the Sunday before President's Day. That way everyone will already have off for National Hangover Day, and won't have to call in sick. That mid-Feb Super Bowl in NJ is gonna be awesome! I don't like the idea of an 18 game schedule, either, but it's inevitable.

I've heard that before. Better idea would be to play the Super Bowl on Saturday night. Makes the season too long and the game mean less. And as to limiting players to 16 games, that is a remarkably stupid idea.Better idea; cut the exhibitons to 2 or 3, and make most of those neutral site games in smaller cities and stop gouging us full price for 2 sh*tty worthless football games. That was done well into the 1970s.

16 games schedule-wise works with these divisions. Goodell really is pushing it. The owners make a ton of money and give practically nothing to post-career health care. The pension vesting time is a joke. And give Mawae this much; if with this much TV revenue anyone other than may the Jags are losing money, open the books and show them.

And give Mawae this much; if with this much TV revenue anyone other than may the Jags are losing money, open the books and show them.

Some years ago baseball claimed in court and at press conferences that several teams were losing money. When the court ordered the books examined, surprise!-no teams were losing money. Bowie Kuhn had to go on the stand and lamely try to claim that he never said the teams couldn't pay.

Owners are businessmen who will follow the familiar business practice of publicly proclaiming whatever the owner thinks is in his interest, regardless of truth. It's just the way the world works. Nobody should ever believe what a businessman says about his business-it's not that they are evil, it's just that all the businessmen they are competing against are doing the same thing.

I have no issues with preseason games at all. I have an issue paying full price for those games. It'd s microchasm of our government as a whole. Take something that bothers the paying public, skew and distort it, and then try and turn it into a money making opportunity that has nothing to do with what bothered the paying public in the first place under the guise of "fixing the problem". It's stupid. Even if you didn't force all players to sit two games, which let me address simply and honestly as that would be the DUMBEST of the dumbf*ck ideas in all of history in the NFL, you would still be watering down the talent tremendously as far more backups would be needed to rest players properly over the course of the season and account for injuries. You would need at least 60 man rosters during the regular season. It's stupid, and it will ruin the game. Most football fans like preseason games. They like rooting for guys like Danny Woodhead to make the roster. They like seeing their team develop and prepare. They just don't like paying FULL PRICE for it. That's all. Goodell is going to go down as the worst commissioner the NFL has ever seen. EVER. If he had half a brain he would focus more on projects like Hard Knocks that allow the fans to see the preseason process more intimately and learn more about the game and the process of fielding a team.

I would prefer 14 game regular season.

6 division games

4 AFC games

4 NFC games

No more silly "play a team that finished in the same position as you last year"

Less injuries.

More important games.

Balanced schedule in divisions.

I am 100% with you. I've wanted a 14 game season for awhile now. 14 game regular season, 2 bye weeks, 2 preseason games. I would cut the 2 games you mentioned above as well.

I hate Goodell with a passion.

I've got a Goodell story.

A buddy of mine over here - a Pats fan that rarely posts here and is always mad he can't stir anything up - went to the Pats-Bucs game in London. He's pounding beers and making friends and sees a blonde guy with an entourage. Tells one of his new drinking buddies that it's Phil Simms and they get up to go shake his hand. As he gets there he realizes it's Goodell. My friend shakes his hand and heads back to his beer/family. The other guy returns a little later and says "PHIL SIMMS IS A DICK! I said 'Hey Phil, how ya doing?' and he gave me a dirty look!"

Dont the guys fighting to make the roster value the preseason games?

Another two games does nothing for me. If the Jets are 5 games under .500 in November, why the hell will I care about those extra two games? It just allows for tanking.

God, I really hate Roger Goodell.

Goodell is a lousy snake-oil salesman. He says that "the fans" don't like pre-season games, which is a lie. Fans don't like paying full price for pre-season games. If Goodell or the owners had an iota of concern for what the fans "want," they'd stop forcing season ticket holders to pay for pre-seasons.

As for the 18 game season, it's a miserable idea. As it stands, each team that has any designs on winning a title has a small margin of error during the season--each team gets maybe one or two games where they can afford to get upset by a lesser squad or have a no-show game. What makes the NFL worthwhile is the urgency to win each and every game, moreso after the aforementioned bad loss. Expanding to 18 games will let a team essentially piss away 2-3 games during the season and not jeopardize their playoff positioning. In the NHL, NBA and MLB, teams can throw away full halves of seasons and still remain in the playoff picture. If the NFL thinks that's what fans enjoy, they're morons who deserve to have their stadiums half-empty by the time November rolls around.

Should've repped this post a while back. It sums up my feelings well.

I actually like the preseason games, but I'd be very pissed off if I was a season ticket holder forced to pay full price for those tickets. They could offer those tickets out to the public at a fraction of their cost, then gouge them for parking and concessions like they do anyway - and still make plenty of money.

But I like seeing rookies compete for jobs. Backups getting real reps. It's fun, and gives you something to think about during the year - like preseason stars Brett Ratliff and David Clowney!

You already have some very good teams resting their starters for a couple games at the end of the season for a little playoff rest - and the 18 game schedule will probably add to those dubious totals. So fans can sit outside in the freezing weather watching a meaningless game rather than at least enjoying a warm August night under the stars.

But it's hardly worth debating. It's a done deal.

Everyone keeps forgetting that every and I mean EVERY team in the NFL forces their season ticket holders to pay for the PRE-SEASON at full price/no discounts - NO SPECIAL PRICING!

So it is not for this type of revenue that the NFL owners want in an 18 game season...

Here's the real story - IT'S ALL ABOUT REVENUE - TV REVENUE...

An 18 game season can add millions in revenue for 32 additional nationally televised games.

It can also attract larger crowds for more money in locations that would not take the original 16 game season away from the season ticket holder.

In the last 3 years Wembley Stadium has sold out 100,000 + seats for each of the NFL games played there.

The attitude of the NFL is this - since NFL Europe & the development of NFL Asia fell through due to lack of sales, the "Carrot" so to speak could be actual NFL games - seen throughout the world on ESPN/Europa, ESPN/Brazil, ESPN/Asia, ESPN/Australia& ESPN/Deportes could increase demand - if they are played in Mexico, Central America, South America, Australia, New Zealand and etc...

Everyone has to remember that the NFL is a MONEY MAKING COMPANY and not just a fan sport. Revenue is what supports it's business.

I really can not wait to see the New York Jets play the San Francisco 49'rs at Maracombe stadium, the home to the 2016 Olympic games.

Just think about it - an NFL game in front of 85,000 regular seats - not counting the stadium boxes, which would include an additional 20,000 seats all screaming in Portuguese "J-E-T-S, JETS JETS JETS!"

It's due to these probable new revenues that the NFL Players association want special compensation in the new CBA - and why it will be such a hurdle in the negotiations...

I forgot the 2 bye weeks also. That was something I wanted to add in there.

I would actually also expand the playoffs. Division winners all get byes and don't play the first week. Add in 2 more playoff teams each conference, for a total of 4 WCs. The 2 best WC teams now host at least one playoff game, which solves the problem of going on the road for your first playoff game with a better record. Now it will happen your second week! The increased revenue for the extra playoff games will more than make up for having 2 less regular season games, especially since there will still be games because the non-bye teams will all play.

Archived