Chris Johnson's a Jet

BroadwayJets

About average run blocking last year

In 2012 it was very poor. Injuries and poor by with the entire interior OL. Every interior lineman was replaced for 2013. Even backups. It took a little while to gel. Ron "Turnstile" Tuner was the center at the start of the year and was terrible. Once he was replaced everything got a lot better. Rookie Chance Warmack struggled in pass protection but was strong in run blocking. Andy Levitrie got better as the year went on. RT position was a problem. LT was solid.

Also, the run blocking from TEs and the FB was strong.

Awesome...thanks.

So would you say that if CJ got behind a better run blocking line he is likely to be better than his last year or two has reflected?

I think CJ losing a step is still faster than a lot of backs in the league. ;-)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You make good points, a big part of a winning season is luck with the injuries. Depth is certainly something to

hope for.

We have half of it down. We've been quite good limiting injury, but we've been terrible at depth. So when a guy does go down (Jeremy Kerley for example) we have better options in the stadium stands than on the roster. that can't happen. We literally lost during the entire month of November because one WR got hurt. This is why I actually like this Sidney Rice speculation. If we sign him and release gates then we have a guy who has starter qualities as a back up. We probably won't need Rice as a starter, so we can keep it light on his knee, but when he is in the game or if someone gets hurt and he has to step up then we know what we have. 

We need to do with the rest of the team like how we did with the QB/RB positions. IF Vick beats out Geno then we have a better QB than what we had at 8-8 last year starting. If Geno wins out then we have arguably the best back up QB in the league. IF Ivory goes down we have CJ2K, if CJ2K goes down we still have the two guys in Powell and Ivory that was 6th in rushing last year.  Also, for the price we may even keep Goodson. So you'll have Powell to back Ivory and Goodson to back Johnson. Talk about depth? Thats deep man.

IF we can add Rice with the addition of Decker and a top prospect WR in the draft along with Kerley and maybe another slot receiver like Campanaro we'd be young and deep at the position. 

If they gave him his 2 for 10 they're still 18M under. I doubt the whole thing is guaranteed so are you really worried about possibly losing $2M in 2015 worst case scenario?

That and the money that doesn't get rolled over into next year. It's not a huge concern, no. But Tannenbaum's constant indifference shown towards the little things left me traumatized.

The best news of all is that Idzik waited out the trade. We landed what could very well be the best back we've had in a loooooooong time and for nothing outside of a fair market value contract. 

We still own 12 friggin draft picks after signing Decker and CJ. Not too bad.

I am the most impatient person out there, but Idzik is proving that slow and steady just may win the race. I feel really good about this signing. 

This could happen. I was thinking that Ivory could be the starter, Johnson would see the field on 2nd and mid and obviously 3rd and long, 

Who thinks Ivory is a starter over CJ?    Even past his prime, CJ is light years ahead of Ivory.   

It's a great signing because CJ will be the starting RB and Ivory will come in to spell relief.    Ivory can still get 600+ Yards rushing and CJ can be a threat out of the backfield and get around 1000 yards rushing.     

Awesome...thanks.

So would you say that if CJ got behind a better run blocking line he is likely to be better than his last year or two has reflected?

I think CJ losing a step is still faster than a lot of backs in the league. ;-)

In my honest opinion I do not think CJ will ever get back to what he was in the Jeff Fisher years and here is why:

Defenses have learned how to play him better now. His first few years in the league CJ was tearing it up. The second year was the 2K year. CJ is so fast it was as if defenses did not know what angles to take on him. Every team would stack the box against the Titans. However, with CJ's speed that was a big mistake. Most of his really huge runs came because it is easy to over-pursue him.

The Steelers were the first to figure out that it is better to contain CJ. To hang back more and not let him have the big runs. That happened in his third season. Now every team plays CJ that way. Which is why I do not think he will ever be as dominant as in those first few years.

And I am sure he is still the fastest RB in the league.

The best news of all is that Idzik waited out the trade. We landed what could very well be the best back we've had in a loooooooong time and for nothing outside of a fair market value contract. 

I am the most impatient person out there, but Idzik is proving that slow and steady just may win the race. I feel really good about this signing. 

amen

tanny would have traded for vick and CJ

In my honest opinion I do not think CJ will ever get back to what he was in the Jeff Fisher years and here is why:

Defenses have learned how to play him better now. His first few years in the league CJ was tearing it up. The second year was the 2K year. CJ is so fast it was as if defenses did not know what angles to take on him. Every team would stack the box against the Titans. However, with CJ's speed that was a big mistake. Most of his really huge runs came because it is easy to over-pursue him.

The Steelers were the first to figure out that it is better to contain CJ. To hang back more and not let him have the big runs. That happened in his third season. Now every team plays CJ that way. Which is why I do not think he will ever be as dominant as in those first few years.

yeah well with a mobile QB back there also that could change

Exactly. I wouldnt have been happy with trading draft picks for Johnson. Especially when 99% of the time the player ends up being cut. I like how Idzik laid it on the table and said this is what it is. If Chris comes here he knows what he's getting into so there's no excuses. 

The good news is, the last time Chris Johnson made standard money he was becoming CJ2K

We have half of it down. We've been quite good limiting injury, but we've been terrible at depth. So when a guy does go down (Jeremy Kerley for example) we have better options in the stadium stands than on the roster. that can't happen. We literally lost during the entire month of November because one WR got hurt. This is why I actually like this Sidney Rice speculation. If we sign him and release gates then we have a guy who has starter qualities as a back up. We probably won't need Rice as a starter, so we can keep it light on his knee, but when he is in the game or if someone gets hurt and he has to step up then we know what we have. 

We need to do with the rest of the team like how we did with the QB/RB positions. IF Vick beats out Geno then we have a better QB than what we had at 8-8 last year starting. If Geno wins out then we have arguably the best back up QB in the league. IF Ivory goes down we have CJ2K, if CJ2K goes down we still have the two guys in Powell and Ivory that was 6th in rushing last year.  Also, for the price we may even keep Goodson. So you'll have Powell to back Ivory and Goodson to back Johnson. Talk about depth? Thats deep man.

IF we can add Rice with the addition of Decker and a top prospect WR in the draft along with Kerley and maybe another slot receiver like Campanaro we'd be young and deep at the position. 

Great points. It feels like Idzik is really stressing a couple of aspects that we have not in the past.

One is to allow older vet players who are looking for bigger contracts to walk (while gaining a comp pick) and to try and groom younger guys on the roster to grow into their replacements.

Two is to stress depth. This is where all the later rd picks can really come in handy. We don't NEED to have 4th-6th rd picks come in an compete immediately. We can have them grow up in the system and fill in if needed. It's really a great recipe for continued success.

We NEVER had a GAME CHANGING PLAYER like this!!!! Was I the only person that seen this young man run to a near NFL rushing RECORD!!!! HUH!!!!???? Over 2100 yds? This man has explosiveness that we've only had the opportunity to defend AGAINST!!! Same with Vick!! Imagine being Marty for a minute...Its gotta be like CHRISTMAS!!!! I for one am looking forward to seeing how he cooks the dinner, because Izzy's given him SHOPRITE!!!! Our offense could be a monster THIS YEAR!!!!! CANT WAIT!! (thanx Bart) Go JETS!!!!

Who thinks Ivory is a starter over CJ?    Even past his prime, CJ is light years ahead of Ivory.   

It's a great signing because CJ will be the starting RB and Ivory will come in to spell relief.    Ivory can still get 600+ Yards rushing and CJ can be a threat out of the backfield and get around 1000 yards rushing.     

No argument from me bro. I liked Ivory as the starter because he'll punch you in the mouth. CJ is much more versatile though and the good thing is that Ivory will be fresh to punch people in the mouth in the 4th qtr when we're running the ball to cap a win. 

yeah well with a mobile QB back there also that could change

Do not get me wrong. I do think he will be better with you guys than he was the last three with us. Our last OC was in way over his head. Promoted way too fast and had no business being an NFL OC.

And you do have a mobile QB back there............................ until he gets injured of course :P

I agree with your point in general, but it wasn't just Kerley.  All the WR got hurt last year, including Gates.  Holmes was dinged all year.  Hill was banged up with concussions and the sore knee.  I don't think Nelson missed any games, but he had a couple of nice games and then fell off a cliff with a hamstring IIRC.  Cribbs got hurt.  Winslow who was basically a receiver was hurt and suspended and Cumberland missed time.  They were bad, hurt and lacking continuity.  I don't mind the idea of Rice, but they will need guys that can play specials and he doesn't seem to fit that bill.  Neither does Austin. 

Great points. It feels like Idzik is really stressing a couple of aspects that we have not in the past.

One is to allow older vet players who are looking for bigger contracts to walk (while gaining a comp pick) and to try and groom younger guys on the roster to grow into their replacements.

Two is to stress depth. This is where all the later rd picks can really come in handy. We don't NEED to have 4th-6th rd picks come in an compete immediately. We can have them grow up in the system and fill in if needed. It's really a great recipe for continued success.

Yessir, and Idzik also stressed not to jump out the window the first week of FA. Imagine if we would have shot our load the first week. We wouldn't have Chris Johnson, probably no Vick and we wouldn't have even been in the discussion for Desean during his release that seemed to have come out of nowhere. Idzik is managing this team to keep options available in case things occur suddenly. Many people knew that Vick and Johnson would be released if they didn't restructure, but no one knew that Desean would be a FA. And though we didn't sign him, Idzik kept us in a position to be in the mix...as he said his intentions would be.  

I seriously can't wait to see what Idzik and his scouts do for the the Draft. The Jets will be contenders soon I believe just viewing how this guy operates. 

Could be. It will be interesting to see. I know he's older now but Johnson has been a feature back his entire career, including last year, so I think he will at least be a primary back here. Ivory was a primary back last year but not a feature back as Powell got a ton of touches and Ivory would sit for quarters at a time. Ivory is also more specialized, whereas Johnson is more versatile which is another reason why I believe CJ will be the primary back.

a lot of teams do not feature backs anymore. the number of touches increase according to game situations.

I agree with your point in general, but it wasn't just Kerley.  All the WR got hurt last year, including Gates.  Holmes was dinged all year.  Hill was banged up with concussions and the sore knee.  I don't think Nelson missed any games, but he had a couple of nice games and then fell off a cliff with a hamstring IIRC.  Cribbs got hurt.  Winslow who was basically a receiver was hurt and suspended and Cumberland missed time.  They were bad, hurt and lacking continuity.  I don't mind the idea of Rice, but they will need guys that can play specials and he doesn't seem to fit that bill.  Neither does Austin. 

Very good point. I looked at it as Holmes was the best of that bunch and at best he was "kinda okay". Hill is trash, but I get your point. Gates is a special teamer and he wasn't even a very good one since he lost his job to Cribbs which also got hurt. Speaking of Cribbs, he's also a special teamer. Cribbs and Gates are labeled "WR's" but have never contributed at those positions whatsoever. Here's an example:

Cribbs been in the league for 9 years and his total numbers receiving is 1,167 yds & 7 TDs. Cribbs has more kickoff TD's (8) than he does receiving...and thats not even adding the 3 TD's he's had on punt returns. So your point is valid in the sense that these guys are labeled WR's, but are they really WR's? 

Gates has never produce a regular season TD. He has more kickoff yards in one year as a Dolphin (843) than he does receiving his entire career as a WR. 

This is why I said that we can sign Sidney Rice and cut Gates. We can give the kickoff returns to Goodson. Atleast Goodson could also contribute in the rushing game. Gates along with Cribbs are a non-factor on offense, they're actually worse than Hill in that dept, and we both know how I feel about Hill. They only reason why Cribbs is better than Hill is because unlike Hill, not only does Cribbs play special teams, but in his prime he was rather outstanding. Cribbs is over the hill now (no pun intended), and like Stephen Hill can easily be replaced given their lack of production as WR's. So when I say that we lost in the month of November because of losing one WR in Kerley, its because we literally had no one else to fill the shoes even if Gates/Cribbs were healthy. 

Do not get me wrong. I do think he will be better with you guys than he was the last three with us. Our last OC was in way over his head. Promoted way too fast and had no business being an NFL OC.

And you do have a mobile QB back there............................ until he gets injured of course :tongue:

Vick has never missed a game in his career (outside of being in prison). He's either there taking snaps, or sitting on his couch watching every single play! Can't question the guys durability.

Yessir, and Idzik also stressed not to jump out the window the first week of FA. Imagine if we would have shot our load the first week. We wouldn't have Chris Johnson, probably no Vick and we wouldn't have even been in the discussion for Desean during his release that seemed to have come out of nowhere. Idzik is managing this team to keep options available in case things occur suddenly. Many people knew that Vick and Johnson would be released if they didn't restructure, but no one knew that Desean would be a FA. And though we didn't sign him, Idzik kept us in a position to be in the mix...as he said his intentions would be.  

I seriously can't wait to see what Idzik and his scouts do for the the Draft. The Jets will be contenders soon I believe just viewing how this guy operates. 

meh....I'm not sure how much ( if any) of a market there was for CJ, Vick or even Jackson (who we were never in on).

CJ and Vick are decent signings only because we are so void of offensive talent. Question marks at a decent price but still upgrades nonetheless.

It is  way to soon to say the GM is doing anything more than what any other competent GM would do.  Can't knock him and certainly cannot give him the feverish "he has a plan" applause that has been prematurely bestowed on him.

Very good point. I looked at it as Holmes was the best of that bunch and at best he was "kinda okay". Hill is trash, but I get your point. Gates is a special teamer and he wasn't even a very good one since he lost his job to Cribbs which also got hurt. Speaking of Cribbs, he's also a special teamer. Cribbs and Gates are labeled "WR's" but have never contributed at those positions whatsoever. Here's an example:

Cribbs been in the league for 9 years and his total numbers receiving is 1,167 yds & 7 TDs. Cribbs has more kickoff TD's (8) than he does receiving...and thats not even adding the 3 TD's he's had on punt returns. So your point is valid in the sense that these guys are labeled WR's, but are they really WR's? 

Gates has never produce a regular season TD. He has more kickoff yards in one year as a Dolphin (843) than he does receiving his entire career as a WR. 

This is why I said that we can sign Sidney Rice and cut Gates. We can give the kickoff returns to Goodson. Atleast Goodson could also contribute in the rushing game. Gates along with Cribbs are a non-factor on offense, they're actually worse than Hill in that dept, and we both know how I feel about Hill. They only reason why Cribbs is better than Hill is because unlike Hill, not only does Cribbs play special teams, but in his prime he was rather outstanding. Cribbs is over the hill now (no pun intended), and like Stephen Hill can easily be replaced given their lack of production as WR's. So when I say that we lost in the month of November because of losing one WR in Kerley, its because we literally had no one else to fill the shoes even if Gates/Cribbs were healthy. 

Rice and Austin may be done.  It's a long time since either was good. They can sign these guys, but only to deals where they can cut them THIS year.  Like Braylon in 2013. 

Gates was a raw guy coming in and improving.  He was averaging 2 catches a game when he got hurt and that is when they picked up Cribbs.  I was higher on Gates than anybody, but 30 catches and 325 yards was about what I had hoped and it is what his season averages would have been over 16.  Ford already is signed up for that kick return/Josh Cribbs slot.  I'm certainly not saying to keep anybody unless they are going to produce.  Gates doesn't have a roster spot  to give.  They all have to fight for it.  I guess except for Decker. 

It is way to soon to say the GM is doing anything more than what any other competent GM would do. Can't knock him and certainly cannot give him the feverish "he has a plan" applause that has been prematurely bestowed on him.

I mean, what team have you been a fan of before Idzik arrived that's allowed you to take competence for granted?

Archived