What coach do you want in NY?

drocksthaparty

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, my answer would be "Anyone but Marrone".

The more I read about him, the more I agree.  So many red flags with this guy but it just feels like a typical Jets hire.  I'm looking everywhere to find something positive about the guy to get excited about the hire.  A 25-25 record in college doesn't do it for me. 

I like Quinn, followed by Bowles and then reich is the only offensive coach I like. I don't really know anything though and I'm basically going off gut feeling mixed with impressions of that coordinators current team when in reality those things don't mean much since some guys are great coordinators but bad head coaches.

I'll support anyone who's hired and we'll see what happens. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being none of these guys and a late entry into the coaching pool gets thrown in.

there is no sexy candidate this year.  no big name.  

so I want an executive HC that doesn't call plays so he can focus on all 3 phases

I want a guy who sees the NFL is a passing league, and it's all about the passing O and passing D

I want a guy with balls to make the tough call and live with the result, like a surprise onsides

I want a guy who makes the players accountable and enforces discipline

marrone is 3 out of 4 of those as far as I can tell.   

At this point, my answer would be "Anyone but Marrone".

Couldn't agree more. There's been a lot of negative stuff coming out about him here since he left. Part of it might be sour grapes but he did ,in my mind, the same thing Beliprick did when he left the Jets, took the money with him as he ran away.

Word here is that he's very thinned skinned. Well I got news for him... if you are then NYC is NOT the place to go.

there is no sexy candidate this year. no big name.

so I want an executive HC that doesn't call plays so he can focus on all 3 phases

I want a guy who sees the NFL is a passing league, and it's all about the passing O and passing D

I want a guy with balls to make the tough call and live with the result, like a surprise onsides

He might be the first and fourth, but he certainly is not the second or third.

Marrone may be the best of the retreads interviewing.  Although Kubiak (not yet available to interview) has a similar record, a good history with QBs, and several actual playoff appearances.  I would like someone else, because when I look at Marrone, I do not see a guy who can take us very far.  I could be wrong.  Can Quinn or Bowles take us there?  Who can say?  A college star coach?  Maybe one of them would be  a better bet but who is available?  Marrone might be the actual, bird-in-the-hand, best.

Marrone may be the best of the retreads interviewing.  Although Kubiak (not yet available to interview) has a similar record, a good history with QBs, and several actual playoff appearances.  I would like someone else, because when I look at Marrone, I do not see a guy who can take us very far.  I could be wrong.  Can Quinn or Bowles take us there?  Who can say?  A college star coach?  Maybe a better bet but who is available?  Marrone might be the actual, bird in the hand, best.

ugh.  maybe there is a john harbaugh out there ?  a guy with an underwhelming resume but all the right skills ?

Marrone is an easy dodge for the questions that arise with the two main kinds of candidates for the top job. You don't know if the coordinator is executive material and you don't know if what you've already seen from the retread is the best he's got. Marrone has done the job and hasn't crapped out. You're pretty well insulated against creating a situation that is just a total disaster from go.

ugh.  maybe there is a john harbaugh out there ?  a guy with an underwhelming resume but all the right skills ?

I think I would be happy trying a Quinn or a Bowles.  Nothing is certain, but I would be willing.  That is how bad things are.  Watching this team since Al Dorow and I am still willing to throw caution to the wind.  I guess the idea of college guys is just not in the works with the two old timers.

Agreed. What happened to the chorus of not hiring another cordinator with no HC experience like, Coslet, Carroll, Groh, Herm, Mangini and Rex?   Marrone has been a HC at two levels and had a winning record last season. He's still young but has the experience being the leader.

I feel most comfortable with him. At least out of the crop that's available.

There's no perfect choice, but right now I would pick Marrone. He's had some moderate success at the college and professional levels, knows the AFC East, and would hopefully bring some discipline and accountability back to this team.

I think I would be happy trying a Quinn or a Bowles.  Nothing is certain, but I would be willing.  That is how bad things are.  Watching this team since Al Dorow and I am still willing to throw caution to the wind.  I guess the idea of college guys is just not in the works with the two old timers.

have any college HC's gotten a whiff with any team this year ?  I don't think so.  that's pretty unusual I think.  helfrich needs another year imho.  

Agreed. What happened to the chorus of not hiring another cordinator with no HC experience like, Coslet, Carroll, Groh, Herm, Mangini and Rex?   Marrone has been a HC at two levels and had a winning record last season. He's still young but has the experience being the leader.

I feel most comfortable with him. At least out of the crop that's available.

that says it all, most comfortable with whats available.   I have seen him rated as the #1 candidate, so I guess that's something

who do you think fits my profile ?  I don't know any of the candidates that well

I'm not sure. It's hard to say how a coordinator will act as a head coach, but I would take the unknown over what we know about Marrone.

Bills fans killed the guy for his conservative nature. I know it's not just sour grapes, either. His coordinator in Buffalo was Nathaniel Hackett, a man taught the trade by none other than his father, Paul.

I wanted an offensive mind because it's about damn time the Jets offense enters the 21st century. Despite coming from an offensive background, Marrone is not the man for that job.

I'm not sure. It's hard to say how a coordinator will act as a head coach, but I would take the unknown over what we know about Marrone.

Bills fans killed the guy for his conservative nature. I know it's not just sour grapes, either. His coordinator in Buffalo was Nathaniel Hackett, a man taught the trade by none other than his father, Paul.

I wanted an offensive mind because it's about damn time the Jets offense enters the 21st century. Despite coming from an offensive background, Marrone is not the man for that job.

kubiak ?  his health scares the crap outta me.  I read his mini-stroke makes him more likely to have another

Of the retreads, I'm leaning towards Kubiak. I really like the game he called last night playing to win vs. playing not to lose.  Marrone just seems more like a playing not to lose guy and we've had that same guy now for 12+ years (Herm then Mangenius and then Rex) and it hasn't worked.

If we go the coordinator route, I'd favor offense over defense for the same reason.  These DC's all seem to think they can win by shutting the other team out and the game is not designed for that anymore. So I guess I'm glad we're talking to Reich and think it would be wise to interview Gase and McDaniels...

kubiak ?  his health scares the crap outta me.  I read his mini-stroke makes him more likely to have another

Kubiak would not excite me, but I wouldn't kill it. He has certainly proven, to me at least, that he has legit offensive chops, unlike Marrone. He really did some good things in Houston. Under his tenure, the Texans had a player lead the league in passing, rushing, and receiving yards.

I really wanted an outside the box hire. My first choice would probably have been the current head coach at Oregon, but his name is not yet being mentioned in NFL circles.

Couldn't agree more. There's been a lot of negative stuff coming out about him here since he left. Part of it might be sour grapes but he did ,in my mind, the same thing Beliprick did when he left the Jets, took the money with him as he ran away.

Word here is that he's very thinned skinned. Well I got news for him... if you are then NYC is NOT the place to go.

Having a clause in your contract that gives you an option to leave if a new employer arises and asking for an extension from that new employer and not getting it is good reason to leave. This is nothing like what BB did. If he did what BB did Marrone would have handed them a napkin at the press conference announcing his extension that he is no longer the HC of the BB.

How do we know what kind of offense Marrone would run? He had EJ and Orton as QBs, along with banged up RBs. You're supposed to coach to the strength your team, which was defense in Buffalo. Sesttle doesn't exactly wing the ball all over the place and personally, I think Wilson would fail if they did.

God forbid Geno is the starter next year, do we want somebody to come in and have him throw 40x a game?

How do we know what kind of offense Marrone would run? He had EJ and Orton as QBs, along with banged up RBs. You're supposed to coach to the strength your team, which was defense in Buffalo. Sesttle doesn't exactly wing the ball all over the place and personally, I think Wilson would fail if they did.

God forbid Geno is the starter next year, do we want somebody to come in and have him throw 40x a game?

His teams at Syracuse were among the most run heavy teams in the NCAA.

He just does not run a modern NFL offense. He runs the same ground and pound bullsh*t we've been watching for the past six years.

The team is soooooo undisciplined right now that it will be a very very very difficult job turning this organization around with an unproven coach with no track record. There is no messiah out there this year. I have no idea, but I guess hoping and praying won't hurt. This is 1996 all over a again with no light at the end of the tunnel

His teams at Syracuse were among the most run heavy teams in the NCAA.

He just does not run a modern NFL offense. He runs the same ground and pound bullsh*t we've been watching for the past six years.

Please, God no. Although he was the OC of the Saints so maybe his offensive approach is player related.  I think Casserly's "advice: has been McCgnan and Marrone, but I get the feeling that Wolf is leading us in a different direction. Seems like none off the guys we are interviewing are really strong offensive guys., Get the feeling that Parcells influence has always predisposed Woody to signing a defensive guy. Just look at his comment about the Green Bay game. He ridiculed the pass that led to the pick, and said we should run and kick that field goal. Problem is that the int while bad was not really the problem. If Geno throws the TD we win the game. The problem was not really the pick but the fact we let Rodgers march down and score a TD in like 80 seconds. The defensive minded guy will criticize the pass, the offensive minded guy will look at the failure of the defense. We are going to hire a conservative, boring defense oriented guy again. Marrone is sort of that guy as well despite the offensive background.

Archived