Trading Down

Jetsmanjb

Anybody please feel free to explain to me why we should be doing anything other than negotiating a trade with the Cleveland Browns or New Orleans Saints.   We need to trade our first rounder for either both the 12th and 19th picks from Cleveland or both the 13th and 31st picks from New Orleans.  

There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't do this.   

We would end up with the ability to draft a wide range of combinations of first round talents...

Sherff + Dorial Green-Beckham

Andrus Peat + Amari Cooper 

Sherff + Devin Smith 

Vic Beasley +  Devin Funchess

Bud Dupree + Ereck Flowers 

Bernadrick McKinney + Devante Parker

Who knows will be there but you get the idea... and then after the first ends we'll also have the 38th overall pick.  

BPA at 6

I don't really agree with that strategy mainly because you have a much better chance of drafting pro bowl caliber players when you take two of them opposed to only one.   

As an example in the 2013 draft (from draft results only) imagine if we only had one pick and we took Dee Milliner opposed to taking Dee and Sheldon.  

I don't really agree with that strategy mainly because you have a much better chance of drafting pro bowl caliber players when you take two of them opposed to only one.   

As an example in the 2013 draft (from draft results only) imagine if we only had one pick and we took Dee Milliner opposed to taking Dee and Sheldon.  

trading down is a great strategy. unfortunately, it takes 2 to tango

I doubt the saints are willing to move up because of their need to replace quality players that were let go/traded. I would love it if Cleveland would trade their picks to us. Scherff + Gurley in the 1st, Devin Smith in the 2nd

I doubt the saints are willing to move up because of their need to replace quality players that were let go/traded. I would love it if Cleveland would trade their picks to us. Scherff + Gurley in the 1st, Devin Smith in the 2nd

That would be some draft, although I'm thinking they like Gordon based on their involvement during his workout. 

That would have to be one of the best off seasons ever.  I'll be praying for this to happen.  

the elite talent in this draft apparently does not extend to 19 pro 20.  Having a top 10 pick might be more valuable.  We need elite p/layers for the future.  If we can get one each of the next 2 or 3 years we will be better in the long run

I've liked the idea of trading down from the beginning. We need a franchise QB but I'm really not sold on Mariota . If someone else is and wants to move up ... go for it and get the most that we can. I'd imagine the pick would be worth much more if Mariota is still there when we're on the clock.

Hear me out- Trade our #6 to the Browns for both their first round picks Draft Scherff!!! and whichever Rb/Wr is there at 19 (hopefully gordon) and try and sign Greg Hardy for cheap since we still have some $$ to play with and Wilkerson still has a year on his contract+next year we could Franchise tag. Our pass rushing need is solved,We get an awesome Olineman to mash people with Mangold and if we got Gordon too we would be in a perfect spot

Hear me out- Trade our #6 to the Browns for both their first round picks Draft Scherff!!! and whichever Rb/Wr is there at 19 (hopefully gordon) and try and sign Greg Hardy for cheap since we still have some $$ to play with and Wilkerson still has a year on his contract+next year we could Franchise tag. Our pass rushing need is solved,We get an awesome Olineman to mash people with Mangold and if we got Gordon too we would be in a perfect spot

Love the idea of getting Scherff.

If Mariota falls to six then the fun starts. I think the Jets should get both of Cleveland's first rounders and get two impact players and then take Bryce Petty in round two as developmental QB. Fitzpatrick is a JAG as we all know and Geno is a WOT (Waste of Time) so the team needs a QB of the future. Could be a bonanza.

trading down is a great strategy. unfortunately, it takes 2 to tango

This.

If getting Cleveland's or New Orleans' two first rounders would be so much better for the Jets, why would the Browns or Saints trade away their superior draft situations?

This.

If getting Cleveland's or New Orleans' two first rounders would be so much better for the Jets, why would the Browns or Saints trade away their superior draft situations?

Depends if they really fall in love with someone who's still there @ 6.  We could always throw in a 7th to sweeten the pot.

Anybody please feel free to explain to me why we should be doing anything other than negotiating a trade with the Cleveland Browns or New Orleans Saints.   We need to trade our first rounder for either both the 12th and 19th picks from Cleveland or both the 13th and 31st picks from New Orleans.  

We would end up with the ability to draft a wide range of combinations of first round talents...

Sherff + Devin Smith 

Who knows will be there but you get the idea... and then after the first ends we'll also have the 38th overall pick.  

The way Bowles and Mac attacked FA I believe they're looking to trade down. The Saints wont be a suitor, they're rebuilding. It makes no sense to trade off Jimmy Graham, Stills and Grubbs just to package the draft picks they just recieved in order to get a higher pick for one Player. Cleveland Looks more like a possible suitor but im not sure if Cleveland would part ways with both 1st rounders, especially if Mariota is off the board. I could see them moving up to 6 to get either Amari Cooper or Kevin White, but I dont see them giving up both 1st rounders for a WR when they can get Devante Parker, Jaelen Strong, DGB or Devin Smith just sitting where they are. If we really want a shot at both 1st round picks then it has to be for Mariota imo. I will say though, I would still trade with Cleveland if they were willing to part ways with their top 1st rounder, 2nd and 3rd rounder and a possible 3rd rounder next year. That will give us a top 12 1st, 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders, and wouldnt be too bad for Cleveland still having 2 picks in the first 3 rounds, one being a top 6 pick and the other a top 20 pick. I would immediately call Tampa and offer them Clevelands 3rd rounder for Glennon.

Sherff + Devin Smith 

Glad all the teams are lining up to trade for our 6th.

The way Bowles and Mac attacked FA I believe they're looking to trade down. The Saints wont be a suitor, they're rebuilding. It makes no sense to trade off Jimmy Graham, Stills and Grubbs just to package the draft picks they just recieved in order to get a higher pick for one Player. Cleveland Looks more like a possible suitor but im not sure if Cleveland would part ways with both 1st rounders, especially if Mariota is off the board. I could see them moving up to 6 to get either Amari Cooper or Kevin White, but I dont see them giving up both 1st rounders for a WR when they can get Devante Parker, Jaelen Strong, DGB or Devin Smith just sitting where they are. If we really want a shot at both 1st round picks then it has to be for Mariota imo. I will say though, I would still trade with Cleveland if they were willing to part ways with their top 1st rounder, 2nd and 3rd rounder and a possible 3rd rounder next year. That will give us a top 12 1st, 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders, and wouldnt be too bad for Cleveland still having 2 picks in the first 3 rounds, one being a top 6 pick and the other a top 20 pick. I would immediately call Tampa and offer them Clevelands 3rd rounder for Glennon.

Dude you're really too into Glennon... we're not going to add a 4th qb to the roster unless it's in the draft most likely after round 5

And even then they probably won't make it past the roster cuts

Last year we only had two on the roster

Dude you're really too into Glennon... we're not going to add a 4th qb to the roster unless it's in the draft most likely after round 5

And even then they probably won't make it past the roster cuts

Last year we only had two on the roster

I think its you thats too much into Glennon. I wrote all that and Glennon is the only thing you got from it? Looks like you're the one projecting a little here. Now, on to your statement. It's not like QB's are no longer tradable. We can package a QB like a Ryan Fitzpatrick with the pick since Tampa is looking to have a suitable backup. FItz ran a similar system to their offense and would be a nice back up there as well. That would leave us with 3 QB's, not 4. And if we carry two QB's it could be Glennon and Geno and you can either cut Simms or put in on the practice squad. 

The team has exactly three elite players. Two are defensive linemen and the other will be 30 by the time training camp starts. Trading down makes no sense to me.

Well, Revis was taken I think #14 overall, and Mo was taken #30.   The last 2 times we drafted a player in the top 6 it didn't go so well.  I'd take the odds on 2 mid first rounders over 1 high first rounder. 

I think its you thats too much into Glennon. I wrote all that and Glennon is the only thing you got from it? Looks like you're the one projecting a little here. Now, on to your statement. It's not like QB's are no longer tradable. We can package a QB like a Ryan Fitzpatrick with the pick since Tampa is looking to have a suitable backup. FItz ran a similar system to their offense and would be a nice back up there as well. That would leave us with 3 QB's, not 4. And if we carry two QB's it could be Glennon and Geno and you can either cut Simms or put in on the practice squad. 

Yeah, and I wouldn't worry too much about Simms hold on a roster spot. I just can't see how he makes it to game one on the Jets barring major injuries.

This.

This is exactly right.

Who's going to be there that the Jets don't - and the Browns or Saints love so much they're willing to trade 2 firsts.  It only happens if Mariotta is there - but if he is, we should absolutely take the QB

Seems like the "experts" are 50/50 0n Mariota being a franchise QB. So while many would say that's not enough and we should trade the pick, if you have a 50 percent chance of drafting a Franchise QB then u make him the pick.

I think MM is Tebow 2.0. Great guy with a an outstanding work ethic and the confidence to succeed. MM is 2.0 because he can actually throw the football. My biggest concern with him is that he has to learn to throw anticipation passes instead of just to an open guy. If you are learning that at the NFL level then I'm sorry but im going to pass on you at #6 and either trade it or select a pass rusher or White/Cooper.

If the Jets do select to him I won't be upset though. I'm not a scout or GM, I just pretend to be on this forum and I will trust our management that they made the best decision for the Jets. Bowles was playing with a 3rd string QB last year and had his defense playing good enough that the Cards were winning games. Maybe he figures he can do the same here and Geno has enough talent to do the job or Fitz has the experience to do it and he further solidifies the defense with a pass rusher.

Seems like the "experts" are 50/50 0n Mariota being a franchise QB. So while many would say that's not enough and we should trade the pick, if you have a 50 percent chance of drafting a Franchise QB then u make him the pick.

I think MM is Tebow 2.0. Great guy with a an outstanding work ethic and the confidence to succeed. MM is 2.0 because he can actually throw the football. My biggest concern with him is that he has to learn to throw anticipation passes instead of just to an open guy. If you are learning that at the NFL level then I'm sorry but im going to pass on you at #6 and either trade it or select a pass rusher or White/Cooper.

If the Jets do select to him I won't be upset though. I'm not a scout or GM, I just pretend to be on this forum and I will trust our management that they made the best decision for the Jets. Bowles was playing with a 3rd string QB last year and had his defense playing good enough that the Cards were winning games. Maybe he figures he can do the same here and Geno has enough talent to do the job or Fitz has the experience to do it and he further solidifies the defense with a pass rusher.

I hope Bowles doesn't want to go with the same formula as the Cardinals. I think most weren't winning the Super Bowl without an elite QB. That is our next step. We need to get an elite QB.  

This.

Because the Browns are dumb.  They are reeling from the mistake known as Johnny Football and would probably do anything possible to get past it.

Archived