Kraft, Judge Berman chat at Hamptons Labor Day party

Maxman

Kraft, Judge Berman chat at Hamptons Labor Day party

September 6, 2015, 10:45 pm

Email

headshot_csn-staff.png

Robert Kraft went to a Hamptons Labor Day party on Saturday night, with guests ranging from Oprah Winfrey to Harvey Weinstein to Martha Stewart. 

Guess who else was there.

Richard Berman.

That’s Judge Berman, the federal judge who overturned New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s suspension. 

Kraft was seen chatting with Berman,according to the New York Post, though a Patriots representative told the newspaper it was a “chance encounter.”

“It was a chance encounter at a social event with hundreds of guests,” said the source. “There was a brief introduction and an exchange of pleasantries that lasted no more than a couple of minutes.” 

Giants co-owner Steve Tisch was also at the party; and Tisch's co-owner, John Mara, was representing the NFL during the Deflategate trial, so conspiracy theorists shouldn’t get too provoked about this report.

Most judges are hacks you guys have no idea.

I'm sure there are bad judges just like there are bad Policeman. Power can go to peoples head. My issue with this whole thing is that the league turned a blind eye to the Pats cheating & ball deflation for years.

People who know football, know that the Pats ALWAYS had their best games in bad weather. Bradys throwing the ball around while the opponents are fumbling & throwing bad picks. 

Then you look at the overall fumbling rate in the NFL & the Pats are so far behind the mean it's ridiculous. Plus they have had players that never fumbled, they leave & fumble in other places. 

How do we know that ball that venetieri kicked in the snow vs the Raiders was legal (I'm guessing it wasn't). Bermans role was to look at this one instance, Goodell & the league were looking at the cheating in it's entirety.

Most judges are hacks you guys have no idea.

Yep, they all used to be or still are....get ready for it......LAWYERS. Yuck. For all you North Jersey people I give you Judge George Korpita. 

My father was a cop for 21 years. This narrative that 'public servants' are a bunch of noble people is a farce. Scumbags a plenty, just like every other profession. People really need to stop watching Blue Bloods and the like and taking it as gospel.

All that said, of course this is no coincidence. The guy is probably a Grade A jerkoff. 

There's no way this can be viewed as a coincidence.  It's actually rather sickening.

This league is an F-in joke.  

This is sick and no this is NOT NORMAL!!!!  The idea that federal judges are routinely at events with Oprah Winfrey is INSANE!!!

And for a judge to be seen talking to a "interested party" in this manner is wrong.

Now can we say something is wrong with the NFL and our whole system. 

Yep, they all used to be or still are....get ready for it......LAWYERS. Yuck. For all you North Jersey people I give you Judge George Korpita. 

My father was a cop for 21 years. This narrative that 'public servants' are a bunch of noble people is a farce. Scumbags a plenty, just like every other profession. People really need to stop watching Blue Bloods and the like and taking it as gospel.

All that said, of course this is no coincidence. The guy is probably a Grade A jerkoff. 

The problem isn't necessarily that judges are lawyers it's that most judges have no real outside experience outside of the 4 years of college, 3 years law school and whatever they did as attorneys.  Most judges are academics who make six figures so all they care about are their careers and looking good to whatever other academics whose opinions they care about.

Even some Pats fans see this INSANITY, not all but some:

1. PonyExpressIn the Starting Line-Up
      1. "Kraft needs to stop talking. Every time he opens his mouth he does damage. This scandal is too big and too complex for him to manage with his back room schmoozings and social meanderings. He is now a laughingstock quickly becoming a loathsome figure. His behavior brings discredit to the franchise. I sincerely hope he has the sense to say nothing opening night and to bring no attention to himself. His machinations throughout this affair have been an embarrassment. He has done as much to damage the hearts of patriot fans as the Doofus in chief himself. Kraft speaks for no one: not the fans not the league not the players. He is despised by the fellow owners he enjoys impressing. Someone needs to open a window, let some light into the attic of his brain and enable some self-reflection."
  • http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/sigh-kraft-seen-talking-to-judge-berman-at-party.1123154/page-3

Kidding aside, I view this a lot like Brady's destruction of his phone -- legally irrelevant, but lousy optics and shows terrible judgment/tone deafness on the part of Brady (in the case of the phone) and Kraft (in the case of mingling with Berman).  

Blue Bloods is real life man. TAKE IT BACK. lol.

so this came from the new york post spotted in the hamptons gossip page

I can't get outraged because all of the points he made in his decisions were regrettably sound and logical

I am not going to pretend to be an expert, but in my limited knowledge of the situation...

The NFLPA signed off on Roger Godell being the judge, jury, and executioner, and it should never have gone to court in the first place.  However, saying that Brady didn't know he would be punished for cheating is not grounds for not punishing him.  "Conduct detrimental to the integrity and public confidence in the NFL" is a catch all disciplinary function, which again the NFLPA signed off on.  Cheating is the worst wrongdoing that an NFL player can commit, relative to the game of football.  Lastly, the judge is at a socialite meeting where a chance meeting happened to take place.

Just call it what it is Bull$hit, but I would be happy to hear any sound info to the contrary, as I am not an expert.

However, if anyone can be outraged by this, they don't pay enough attention to everyday life where this happens daily. 

I am not going to pretend to be an expert, but in my limited knowledge of the situation...

The NFLPA signed off on Roger Godell being the judge, jury, and executioner, and it should never have gone to court in the first place.  However, saying that Brady didn't know he would be punished for cheating is not grounds for not punishing him.  "Conduct detrimental to the integrity and public confidence in the NFL" is a catch all disciplinary function, which again the NFLPA signed off on.  Cheating is the worst wrongdoing that an NFL player can commit, relative to the game of football.  Lastly, the judge is at a socialite meeting where a chance meeting happened to take place.

Just call it what it is Bull$hit, but I would be happy to hear any sound info to the contrary, as I am not an expert.

However, if anyone can be outraged by this, they don't pay enough attention to everyday life where this happens daily. 

I'm no lawyer but legal precedents matter, as does due process.  unfortunately, there was a legal precedent with jay feely and the NFL botched the due process.  berman was especially annoyed the NFL's top lawyer helped edit the wells report before it was released.  that doesn't seem independent when you get right down to it

berman didn't disagree with the findings, only the grounds for the punishment.  

I don't see it weird that berman was at a hamptons party but krafty ?  c'mon my strong islanders how did you let that happen ?!?

However, saying that Brady didn't know he would be punished for cheating is not grounds for not punishing him.  

Maybe this is a media sound-byte of some sort, but neither the judge, nor any lawyer or principal on either side of this dispute has ever said or argued this.  I think there is a lot of unnecessary confusion about the decision that results from this inaccurate characterization being loosely bandied about. 

It does not mean you can do what the eff you want and make $hit up as you go.

As Larz pointed out, there are quite a few things Goodell and the league screwed up.

And the rest of the league should be thankful it was struck down.  If being "generally aware" was allowed to be a standard of proof of guilt to pass punishment, then literally everyone could be punished. 

How many coaches/players do you think know a player (or more) that is "generally aware" of another player that is doing PEDs?  Or illegal drugs?  Or some other criminal behavior.

I know Roger is not a lawyer, but they must have some that reviews this.  The league needs to look at their process because they are screwing it up.

I'm no lawyer but legal precedents matter, as does due process.  unfortunately, there was a legal precedent with jay feely and the NFL botched the due process.  berman was especially annoyed the NFL's top lawyer helped edit the wells report before it was released.  that doesn't seem independent when you get right down to it

berman didn't disagree with the findings, only the grounds for the punishment.  

I don't see it weird that berman was at a hamptons party but krafty ?  c'mon my strong islanders how did you let that happen ?!?

Have to disagree with the bolded part. Feely did not obstruct an investigation or destroy evidence. It can easily be argued that the majority of the 4-game suspension had nothing to do with the actual deflation of footballs. The Feely issue is a complete red herring.

Have to disagree with the bolded part. Feely did not obstruct an investigation or destroy evidence. It can easily be argued that the majority of the 4-game suspension had nothing to do with the actual deflation of footballs. The Feely issue is a complete red herring.

the NFL never stipulated what the break down was on the 4 games

they choked

the NFL never stipulated what the break down was on the 4 games

they choked

The problem is the judge did not allow that the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts. And that the QB is not the kicker. The K ball is not used by the whole offense all game long. Not to exempt Feely, because it's still cheating and kickers definitely affect games' outcomes, but it isn't the same. Feely's K balls weren't also used to improve the play of others around him in the way that deflated footballs also improved the Pats' lack of fumbling and at times helped receivers catch passes that might have otherwise bounced off their hands.

Cheating that helps the QB and WRs and TEs and RBs and the defense (by preventing more turnovers) >>> helping the kicker alone (and even then, only really helping on FGs that weren't sure things regardless). 

Archived