Leonard Williams says he was out of shape for opener

AFJF

Looked pretty good to me

http://nypost.com/2015/09/14/leonard-williams-realizes-hes-out-of-shape-after-jets-debut/

Jets rookie defensive end Leonard Williams found his first NFL game to be exhausting.

Williams said his biggest issue against the Browns on Sunday was his conditioning.

“I don’t feel like I played to my best abilities to be honest,” Williams said. “I think part of it is just conditioning. I feel like in college we did a lot of conditioning. It’s kind of like up to myself now to take care of that on my own like after practice.”

Jets coach Todd Bowles said Williams likely felt tired because he was too amped up for his debut.

“I thought he got winded because I thought emotionally he was too high,” Bowles said. “You come out and you’ve got spit on the side of your mouth and you’re slobbering and you’re in warm-up in pregame. That is typical to happen to a rookie the first time out. They come out hyperventilating.”

Williams said that may have played a role in it, as well as not playing a full game in the preseason.

“They had a few long drives,” Williams said. “I just noticed I was getting pretty tired on those drives. I was coming out of my stance slow and kind of raising up and not staying low. It was just from being tired.”

Jets tackle Breno Giacomini made a telling comment about offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s approach that sounded like a criticism of Marty Mornhinweg, Gailey’s predecessor.

“I think they’re taking what we’re good at and we keep running it over and over and over,” Giacomini said. “That’s who we are.

“We’re not going into a game with a hundred plays. We’ve just got the things we’re going to run each week and that’s who we are.”

Giacomini did not really answer when asked if that was a problem last season. But he said the game plan is pared down this year and that helps.

“You play fast,” he said. “You kind of get the thinking out of it. You play fast, and that’s what you want. It’s an advantage to us.”

Bowles showed his honesty Monday when asked about Johnny Manziel’s 54-yard touchdown pass to Travis Benjamin. A reporter said it looked like cornerback Antonio Cromartie was looking for safety help on the play.

“He wasn’t expecting any help,” Bowles said.

So he got beat?

“Yeah, he got beat.”

The game balls went to: K Nick Folk, DE Muhammad Wilkerson, CB Marcus Williams, WR Brandon Marshall and RB Chris Ivory. … Bowles said he wants to see how rookie WR Devin Smith (ribs) practices this week before deciding if he can play against the Colts.

Guard Oday Aboushi came off the suspended list after sitting out one game for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy. The Jets were granted a one-day roster exemption and must decide Tuesday whether to put him on the 53-man roster or waive him.

Bowles showed his honesty Monday when asked about Johnny Manziel’s 54-yard touchdown pass to Travis Benjamin. A reporter said it looked like cornerback Antonio Cromartie was looking for safety help on the play.

So he got beat?

“Yeah, he got beat.”

interesting....the prevailing feeling was that Cro was looking for help on the play.   

interesting....the prevailing feeling was that Cro was looking for help on the play.   

It was...I thought the same thing and it was repeated several times on the post-game show...they saw it that way too.  Not a good thing really because when that was the case, you give him the benefit of the doubt.

It was...I thought the same thing and it was repeated several times on the post-game show...they saw it that way too.  Not a good thing really because when that was the case, you give him the benefit of the doubt.

I like the fact Bowles called him out.  Rex would have been, "yeah, he is a heck of a player."

So he got beat?

“Yeah, he got beat.”

Honest question here, you guys are smarter than I am --  There's no chance Bowles said this to distract everyone from a perceived weakness in our coverage ability, or backfield communications?  Since Cro is hurt, he'd probably be cool with such a ruse, as long as Bowles apologized privately.

All rookies have a learning curve to go through- so not expecting a monster right away- he will be fine though

Agreed, even though I have been in the game awhile I come in to each buffet season a little slow and lethargic.  By mid season I am in full "restraining" order mode.  Leonard will be fine.  

Honest question here, you guys are smarter than I am --  There's no chance Bowles said this to distract everyone from a perceived weakness in our coverage ability, or backfield communications?  Since Cro is hurt, he'd probably be cool with such a ruse, as long as Bowles apologized privately.

You really can't dismiss anything with any NFL coach nowadays. 

I wouldn't think so. A good leader does not throw one of his own under the bus publicly for the sake of the team. Do it to yourself, but not someone you lead. Even if he apologizes personally, the perception at large is not good. You can motivate through the media, and this would be a de-motivational ploy.

By "prevailing feeling" you mean the prevailing excuse-making by a few here - and one announcer during the game - designed to absolve Cromartie of any blame (or at worst, have Jarrett equally share in blame that belonged squarely on Cromartie)?

Time in NFL strength and conditioning program is most important for the big boys in the trenches, both for strength and stamina.  Any starting 26 year old lineman lifting weights for 5 years in an NFL program would probably be the strongest guy in NCAA by a mile.

Yeah, watching the replay - it sure looked like the safety simply got there late.  

By "prevailing feeling" you mean the prevailing excuse-making by a few here - and one announcer during the game - designed to absolve Cromartie of any blame (or at worst, have Jarrett equally share in blame that belonged squarely on Cromartie)?

A few people said it.  Somebody said that Jarrett was pulled and not seen again.  He had 4 snaps and they all seemed to be at the start - I think he had one on a play that didn't count for a chop block.  It is possible there was a safety screw up AND Cromartie wasn't supposed to get help. 

Time in NFL strength and conditioning program is most important for the big boys in the trenches, both for strength and stamina.  Any starting 26 year old lineman lifting weights for 5 years in an NFL program would probably be the strongest guy in NCAA by a mile.

Clearly Bowles is not doing his complete job, as his most important new/young asset isn't even in game shape to start the season and he didn't address it. And for every 1 we hear about there are easily at least a dozen or two we don't hear about (or it just didn't come up because they don't play enough downs). :rolleyes:

A few people said it.  Somebody said that Jarrett was pulled and not seen again.  He had 4 snaps and they all seemed to be at the start - I think he had one on a play that didn't count for a chop block.  It is possible there was a safety screw up AND Cromartie wasn't supposed to get help. 

Of course that's possible. I'm just having fun after people parroted the same stance, where they pretended to know for certain what was going through Cromartie's head (that he was expecting safety help so it wasn't really blown coverage on Cro's part). 

Clearly Bowles is not doing his complete job, as his most important new/young asset isn't even in game shape to start the season and he didn't address it. And for every 1 we hear about there are easily at least a dozen or two we don't hear about (or it just didn't come up because they don't play enough downs). :rolleyes:

Kevan Barlow would run for 2000 yards in college behind any NFL team's O-line.

Needs to get stronger. His footwork is great as are his hands but he does look weak and out of shape.

I haven't re-watched the game yet but tough to see everything from where I was sitting...I liked that he was getting pressure but looking forward to seeing the all-22 when I have the time tomorrow.

Of course that's possible. I'm just having fun after people parroted the same stance, where they pretended to know for certain what was going through Cromartie's head (that he was expecting safety help so it wasn't really blown coverage on Cro's part). 

Yep, Bowles said yesterday Cro got beat on that play and it had nothing to do with safety help...because he wasnt supposed to have safety help on that play.  He looked like a basketball defender looking at his big man after giving up a baseline dunk...to the untrained eye, you would think the big man needed to rotate; truth is, he was never supposed to give up the baseline.  That's what Bowles said happened, Cro was matched up 1:1 and got beat, plain and simple.

Cro looked like a 50 year old with bad knees and hips trying to chase him. Actually looked like he was limping.

Not really. He receiver got 2-3 big steps on him after the double move. Cro nearly caught up to tackle him. 

Yep, Bowles said yesterday Cro got beat on that play and it had nothing to do with safety help...because he wasnt supposed to have safety help on that play.  He looked like a basketball defender looking at his big man after giving up a baseline dunk...to the untrained eye, you would think the big man needed to rotate; truth is, he was never supposed to give up the baseline.  That's what Bowles said happened, Cro was matched up 1:1 and got beat, plain and simple.

The good news is he'll have a great game here or there, and even in meh (or worse than meh) games he's still capable of a great acrobatic play. But he's not nearly what he was in his last healthy year here. We overpaid badly for him because Seattle went to the SB (which then bumped him from being one of multiple alternates to a player in the pro bowl). So many turn down the "honor" now - or can't play due to the timing - that making it as an alternate isn't really all that. Meanwhile it's used interchangeably with first team all pro players who are (with much greater accuracy) truly the best in the game.

He's not garbage. But he's no 1-B corner either. Not anymore.

I haven't re-watched the game yet but tough to see everything from where I was sitting...I liked that he was getting pressure but looking forward to seeing the all-22 when I have the time tomorrow.

They have no idea what they are talking about.  The kid got winded on a few plays on the Browns long drives in the first half.  You think he is the first rookie to experience this?  He just had the stones to admit it.  It is a non-issue, the kid very good for the most part and just missed tripping up Manziel for a sack or short gain.   It is funny how we have seen him all preseason and now all of a sudden he looks out of shape.  He is in as good a shape as any other rookie lineman playing their first NFL game.  Jet Fans, smdh.   

Archived