Lol @ the Geno hate

Cro's kids

64%  265 2 touchdowns and 1 interception, after being hurt and not getting first team reps for 2 months. The hate is just not deserved. He was dealt a terrible hand when he got drafted considering the coaches and receiving corps he had. How can you realistically expect him to be good considering such? Lets use some logic here please. The expectations were way too high from the start, I understand that we have been desperate for good QB play for years but don't expect a 2nd rounder to be great in a few years playing in the trash systems he has. Now obviously our receivers are pretty great and I think Geno could do ok if he was given the chance. With that said I still prefer Fitzpatrick at this point in time, like the way he commands the O. Stop being ridiculous pls

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still hope Geno "gets it" at some point, but after seeing him make the same mistakes he's been making for two years despite a new HC, OC and receivers, I don't think he'll ever get over the hump.  It's not that hard to throw the ball away when rolling out.  Fitz took 5 games to get sacked twice...it took Geno a quarter and a half. 

64%  265 2 touchdowns and 1 interception, after being hurt and not getting first team reps for 2 months. The hate is just not deserved. He was dealt a terrible hand when he got drafted considering the coaches and receiving corps he had. How can you realistically expect him to be good considering such? Lets use some logic here please. The expectations were way too high from the start, I understand that we have been desperate for good QB play for years but don't expect a 2nd rounder to be great in a few years playing in the trash systems he has. Now obviously our receivers are pretty great and I think Geno could do ok if he was given the chance. With that said I still prefer Fitzpatrick at this point in time, like the way he commands the O. Stop being ridiculous pls

Let me get this straight.  It is not reasonable to expect a guy who practices at QB every day to remember to throw the ball out of bounds at the end of a game to stop the clock, or when he has no one to throw to and he is outside the hash marks?  Is that too complex a demand to expect a 2 year veteran to remember in the "heat" of battle?  Is it too much to expect him to avoid taking a devastating and completely unnecessary hit (he had no place further to go) on the sideline when his starting  QB has been disabled for the game?  When will he finally learn these intricate principles of playing QB?  I do not hate Geno.  But I see no light at the end of the tunnel.  When it comes to playing QB at the NFL level, he just does not get it.  And I defended him for most of the first two years with some of the arguments you put forward.  Every Jet fan wants him to succeed and succeed big time.

He had a good game, its unfortunate that his mistakes kept it from speaking for itself. 

The moment it went down hill imo is when he took that big hit after running for a bunch of yards. The hit hurt him, which isnt the problem. What I noticed afterward is that he didnt use his legs again after that hit because he second-guessed himself. I noticed it on the first sack that he took when flushed out of the pocket. I seen by his body movement that he thought about taking off but didnt. The moment Geno doubted himself it began to fall apart in that respect. 

Numbers wise, he had a good day. The INT was a bad play, he should have threw it away or found another target (which if im correct someone was open on the play), but there were about two other times where he either threw the ball away or pump-faked to get the defender in the air and then threw to the back on a screen that if this was last year or his rookie year would have been at best an incomplete pass or at worst a pick 6 off a screen play. 

There were things that I seen from Geno that showed that he learned from the past. That hit I believe rattled him a bit, not just because of the hit, but probably the reaction from the crowd as well. He probably feels like the crowd cant wait to jump on him and he hasnt learned how to block out the noise. 

Every Jet fan wants him to succeed and succeed big time.

Absolutely not.

That may have been true two years ago, but today we can't stand him, we can't stand looking at him, and most of us didn't even remember he was still on the roster until Fitzpatrick got hurt on Sunday.

Geno Smith is already gone.  He was a terrible wasted draft pick by the Idzik regime. Good riddance.

SAR I 

Geno was sacked just as much in this past game as Fitz was through the first 6. And that's not because of the oline , that's him holding on to the ball too long and taking a hit while running out of bound 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage instead of throwing the ball away. He has the physical tools and can make all the throws but something is just missing. 

Geno was fine last Sunday.  Fitz better be physically ready to go otherwise this is dumb

There is no way the Jets can run right on Sunday (unless RB is taking a direct snap from center). They will not risk Fitz handing off with his left hand.

Teams have been successful loading the box to stop the Jets running game. Now, all the Jags have to do is stack the box on one side of the line.

There is no way the Jets can run right on Sunday (unless RB is taking a direct snap from center). They will not risk Fitz handing off with his left hand.

Teams have been successful loading the box to stop the Jets running game. Now, all the Jags have to do is stack the box on one side of the line.

This isn't even remotely true. They said he was handing the ball off fine to both sides. If you're going to talk Jets, at least come educated. 

when the game was still a game he was awful.  Then Oakland was up big and he made some stats against soft defense.  When the game got closer he took 2 awful sacks and was brutal again.  Stats don't say the whole story.  Notice how we couldn't run either.  Part is a credit to the raiders d.  Part was missing mangold and part was no respect for the pass with geno under center 

This isn't even remotely true. They said he was handing the ball off fine to both sides. If you're going to talk Jets, at least come educated. 

In the meantime, former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner said during a conference call with reporters Tuesday that he expects Fitzpatrick to play through the injury.

"I have a feeling that Ryan's going to play through it," Warner said. "Just knowing him and the toughness that he has, he'll probably play. There are some issues that you face."

Warner, a right-handed passer, dealt with a left elbow injury during his career. He discussed Fitzpatrick's potential "issues" in the context of his own elbow injury.

"I think the hardest thing for him will be handing off, more than throwing," Warner said. "When I hurt my elbow, I ended up having to hand off everything with my right hand, which is kind of a unique thing that you've got to get used to. But I think that's the hardest thing, is being able to grip and have strength on the football when you're going to hand it off, and control it that way with his left hand, depending on how bad the damage is and where his strength is.

What Jack 48 said at the end of his post is absolutely correct in the way that all true Jets TEAM fans were thinking on Sunday. We weren't sitting there measuring play by play the difference in the way that Geno was playing in comparison to how Fitz would have handled the same-UNTIL the EFF-UPS. Then we said "Oh yea, that's right, THERE'S the Geno Smith we all know and love." 

Now the other thing that happened to a lot of us (and I read it in another thread by someone who I have forgotten wrote it and where) was this strange feeling of being emotionally disconnected to the game because there was no hope that Geno could win that game or NOT commit a stupid idiotic game-killing play somewhere before it was over. And yup, that's what happened.

Remember now, the all day long bad defense actually seemed to come to life in the last 5 minutes of the game and The Raiders helped by getting stupid with their play calling, but they gave Smith a shot to win the game-a few of them.

Of course you can't overcome the officials making their usual Jets-game killing  calls, as they have found another "way too trusting, way too mellow way too nice and way too respectful" foil in Todd Bowles who won't forget how he got the job, so he won't bite the hand. It's left to the big mouths like The Maras and Kraft and the Jones' down in Texas to keep them "honest" and push them around while Milktoast Woody Johnson, so clueless that the league has had to choose two of his head coaches for him-both almost carbon copies of each other. 

when the game was still a game he was awful.  Then Oakland was up big and he made some stats against soft defense.  When the game got closer he took 2 awful sacks and was brutal again.  Stats don't say the whole story.  Notice how we couldn't run either.  Part is a credit to the raiders d.  Part was missing mangold and part was no respect for the pass with geno under center 

If you saw Geno padding stats at the end of the game, vs a softer defense, you need to stop now.  

Absolutely not.

That may have been true two years ago, but today we can't stand him, we can't stand looking at him, and most of us didn't even remember he was still on the roster until Fitzpatrick got hurt on Sunday.

Geno Smith is already gone.  He was a terrible wasted draft pick by the Idzik regime. Good riddance.

SAR I 

H eis a Jet.  if he were to somehow, some way have an epiphany and become a savior for the time, I would be thrilled.  Ain;t gonna happen, and I ain't gonna push for it.  But I root for the uniform.

H eis a Jet.  if he were to somehow, some way have an epiphany and become a savior for the time, I would be thrilled.  Ain;t gonna happen, and I ain't gonna push for it.  But I root for the uniform.

In a way, I agree with SAR.  I don't want to see him on the field again for the Jets.  Meaning any success he'd have would be with another team. 

Geno was sacked just as much in this past game as Fitz was through the first 6. And that's not because of the oline , that's him holding on to the ball too long and taking a hit while running out of bound 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage instead of throwing the ball away. He has the physical tools and can make all the throws but something is just missing. 

had nothing to do with Ivory getting 16 yards against the Raiders and the D teeing off on the pass..  nothing at all.

I'm right there with you Jack.

If for some reason Geno Smith winds up the Jets starting QB, I want to see him win every game, throw for 25 TDs and NO interceptions, while completing 70+% of his passes and having a perfect QBR game like the last Dolphins game for the 10 or so remainings game including the last one that they drop the green and white confetti on his head and some of it circles it's way down into the Lombardi Trophy and adheres itself to the star on top of the Super Bowl MVP trophy that bears his name.

I root for the uniform too, but then there are those who drag the whole organization down.  Blair Thomas.  Johnny Mitchell.  Neil O'Donnell.  Vernon Gholston,  Rich Kotite.  Glenn Foley.  Geno is one of those.

SAR I

This is not just about one game nor is it about the cold start everyone gets that... Its about the stupid mistakes that keep happening along with the terrible mechanics and bad pocket presence that will continue to cost us games. Geno is simply not good enough to overcome the amount of mistakes he makes.

What good is it if you throw for 3 TD's and its a tie game in the 4th and Geno makes his usual dumb ass mistakes ? Did those stats constitute a good game ?? Sure ...but did we win ? Probably not ....problem is Geno does not throw for 3 TD's and he has very few good games

hey maybe it had something to do with it but come on bro, numbers don't lie. 

ok but what numbers?  cause 265 2 and 1 is just about as good as anything Fitz has put up all year.

the irony is I think starting Fitz is the right call this weekend.  I just get super annoyed at all the irrational hate spewed towards Geno.  what the hell are people watching and what in the F did they expect to see given the circumstances he was thrust into.

reading "he still hasn't learned" is like nails on a chalkboard..  bold declarations on the heels of a relief appearance when the team played like sh-t and the D was pinning their ears back.

ok but what numbers?  cause 265 2 and 1 is just about as good as anything Fitz has put up all year.

the irony is I think starting Fitz is the right call this weekend.  I just get super annoyed at all the irrational hate spewed towards Geno.  what the hell are people watching and what in the F did they expect to see given the circumstances he was thrust into.

reading "he still hasn't learned" is like nails on a chalkboard..  bold declarations on the heels of a relief appearance when the team played like sh-t and the D was pinning their ears back.

The numbers you brought up were stated in the original post, my response was there's other parts to his game that struggled. Running 5 yards backwards towards the sidelines and taking a hit for the sack is inexcusable. I don't think it's a coincidence the sack numbers ended up like that. 

I root for the uniform too, but then there are those who drag the whole organization down.  Blair Thomas.  Johnny Mitchell.  Neil O'Donnell.  Vernon Gholston,  Rich Kotite.  Glenn Foley.  Geno is one of those.

SAR I

Vernon Gholston was on the Jets for three years and the team won 33 games.  They have not had a winning season since he was cut.  Like an anchor!

Dude, he ran out of bounds for a 5 yard loss when out of the pocket.  Common sense QB 101 you just throw it away, you're outside the pocket.  He has been doing this now for his entire career, and yet here we are in year 3 and he does it not only once but twice!!  And then on the second one he actually just gave up running to the sideline and allowed the defender to push him back giving up forward progress and allowing the clock to run!  All the while he's standing there clueless on the sideline doing who the hell knows what 15 yards out of bounds....WHILE THE CLOCK IS RUNNING!  Yes, Geno's numbers weren't that bad.  I don't even care about the pick or the bombs on his first couple throws, he was trying to do to much I get that. He settled in after that.  But hell, I would have been more comfortable with poor numbers but a clear command and poise on the field.  At least then you could argue that he was just rusty.  But stupid is as stupid does, and stupid decisions cost games.  While Geno will put up similar numbers to Fitz, he will also add 2 or 3 mind bogglingly stupid decisions that Fitz won't.  And that will be the difference in games. 

Archived