Where's Geno wind up next year ?

johnnyjet

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here. He knows the system and is still on his rookie contract, no reason to boot him. Someone needs to back up whomever emerges from the Fitzpatrick/Petty/Other battle. 

So by "Other" you mean you think we're bringing in a new QB, correct?  Meaning the minute we bring in a new arm, Geno is gone.  We aren't carrying 4 QB's.  Fitzpatrick/Petty/Other would backup whoever wins the competition.  We don't need TWO veteran backups.

It can't be here. NY is too tough of a place mentally after you've poisoned the waters. Once Sanchez had the buttfumble his career was over in NY. For Geno it was multiple offenses, putting the ball behind his back like Curley Neale, missing practice in Oakland, telling fans to f*ck themselves! his inability to stop running backwards, or not throwing the ball away.

He gets booed on every incompletion. Is it fair? Obviously not it's ridiculous, but that's why NY has a reputation of being a tough place to play, screw the media, it's really the fans once they turn on you. I mean look at the scathing he takes here & he's played one game where is was thrust into action in a tough situation, with zero help from his defense that day.

like Sanchez he will be banished to the neather regions only to come back some day for his revenge against us & post a game like he had in Miami last year! Come on, you ALL know it's gonna happen! Lol. 

Here. He knows the system and is still on his rookie contract, no reason to boot him. Someone needs to back up whomever emerges from the Fitzpatrick/Petty/Other battle. 

It could happen. I don't see the Jets dumping Geno nearly as quickly as the fans hope. He's the devil they know. I could see them try to shop him for a late pick around draft time, though, especially if they sign a QB before that. 

So by "Other" you mean you think we're bringing in a new QB, correct?  Meaning the minute we bring in a new arm, Geno is gone.  We aren't carrying 4 QB's.  Fitzpatrick/Petty/Other would backup whoever wins the competition.  We don't need TWO veteran backups.

This year, they brought in Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson and let them both go, choosing to keep Geno instead. I know the popular hyperbole is that Geno is the worst QB in the history of the universe, but there are a lot of really bad QBs out there. If they want Petty to sit for another full year, Geno could be the choice to backup Fitzpatrick again. The death knell for Geno, I think, would be if they decide to go with Petty as the starter with Fitz backing him up. Then there'd be no role for Geno. Probably have another late pick or scrub vet in the third QB role at that point. 

It could happen. I don't see the Jets dumping Geno nearly as quickly as the fans hope. He's the devil they know. I could see them try to shop him for a late pick around draft time, though, especially if they sign a QB before that. 

This year, they brought in Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson and let them both go, choosing to keep Geno instead. I know the popular hyperbole is that Geno is the worst QB in the history of the universe, but there are a lot of really bad QBs out there. If they want Petty to sit for another full year, Geno could be the choice to backup Fitzpatrick again. The death knell for Geno, I think, would be if they decide to go with Petty as the starter with Fitz backing him up. Then there'd be no role for Geno. Probably have another late pick or scrub vet in the third QB role at that point. 

Scrapheap guys Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson aren't exactly the caliber of QB this regime will be bringing in this offseason, if I had to guess.  The # 1 priority this offseason ought to be (if it isn't already) solidifying our future at the QB position.  Meaning I expect a high pick to be used on a QB or a trade to be made for a true starter. 

While I have been on the Fitz bandwagon all season, that has only been because he's been our best option.  I don't want him to be our best option next season.  We need that to either be a newcomer or Petty, with Fitz as the veteran backup.  Geno would be redundant at that point.  Entering year 4 of his career, he's no longer a project QB.  He's a veteran backup.  He'd be a completely unnecessary distraction and roster spot for a regime that didn't draft him and brought in 2 new QB's as soon as they arrived.  Only way he sticks is if we maintain the status quo:  No new QB's brought in, Fitz the starter, and Petty still not ready to be the backup.  And that had better not be the case.

This

He is not devoid of ability and has learned to keep his trap shut (with or without wires) about half as much as it needs to be. Maybe he can get the rest of the way there without getting the sh!t beat out of him again - regardless - he can potentially work his way into being trusted enough not to throw a game away if he see's the field due to injury.  

Scrapheap guys Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson aren't exactly the caliber of QB this regime will be bringing in this offseason, if I had to guess.  The # 1 priority this offseason ought to be (if it isn't already) solidifying our future at the QB position.  Meaning I expect a high pick to be used on a QB or a trade to be made for a true starter. 

While I have been on the Fitz bandwagon all season, that has only been because he's been our best option.  I don't want him to be our best option next season.  We need that to either be a newcomer or Petty, with Fitz as the veteran backup.  Geno would be redundant at that point.  Entering year 4 of his career, he's no longer a project QB.  He's a veteran backup.

That would be a bold move. It would signal that they absolutely don't see Petty as a viable option now or any time soon. If that's how they feel, then I hope they are aggressive in the QB market. Using a high pick on a rookie and trading for a veteran are two very different things, though, and would probably result in different backups. 

If they draft a QB in the first round, say, they'd probably want Fitzpatrick to back him up or maybe even start a number of games to open the season as the kid gets his feet wet. However, if they trade for a veteran that veteran will start day one, and really won't be in need of a veteran presence as his back up. He'd also probably carry a cap figure in the $15M/year range (at least) making carrying Fitzpatrick's projected $5M or so pretty impossible. Better to just carry Geno on the last year of his rookie deal at that point. 

That would be a bold move. It would signal that they absolutely don't see Petty as a viable option now or any time soon. If that's how they feel, then I hope they are aggressive in the QB market. Using a high pick on a rookie and trading for a veteran are two very different things, though, and would probably result in different backups. 

If they draft a QB in the first round, say, they'd probably want Fitzpatrick to back him up or maybe even start a number of games to open the season as the kid gets his feet wet. However, if they trade for a veteran that veteran will start day one, and really won't be in need of a veteran presence as his back up. He'd also probably carry a cap figure in the $15M/year range (at least) making carrying Fitzpatrick's projected $5M or so pretty impossible. Better to just carry Geno on the last year of his rookie deal at that point. 

He was a 4th round pick.  It's safe to say all 32 teams viewed him as a backup with a small chance of starter upside.  Not exactly the type of QB you rest your franchise's hopes in.  I'd say it would be a far bolder move to make Petty "your guy". 

I agree that Fitz would likely be the Week 1 starter UNLESS they trade for a veteran.  But if they draft a QB high, that would still result in the rookie and Petty competing for backup duties, and leaving Geno in the cold.  You don't need to back up a veteran with another veteran. 

Just because Geno's cheap doesn't mean you save a valuable roster spot for him.  A lot of teams only carry 2 QB's on their active rosters and 3 at most on the 53-man roster.  4 is basically unheard of.  I'm sure they will wait to cut him until they absolutely have to, but the end game is not very positive for Geno no matter how you slice it. 

He was a 4th round pick.  It's safe to say all 32 teams viewed him as a backup with a small chance of starter upside.  Not exactly the type of QB you rest your franchise's hopes in.  I'd say it would be a far bolder move to make Petty "your guy". 

Perhaps, but it was the rest of the post that's relevant to the conversation. Namely, I can't see Fitz being the backup if the team makes a big play for a veteran starting QB, which would probably leave that job to the inexpensive Geno. 

I do not want him here even as a backup.  I want a backup to be either the long time vet that can actually come in and hold the fort or your developmental QB who you see as a potential starter in the future.  I do not want a guy who you are going to kick to the cur next year because you don't like the way he plays.

Perhaps, but it was the rest of the post that's relevant to the conversation. Namely, I can't see Fitz being the backup if the team makes a big play for a veteran starting QB, which would probably leave that job to the inexpensive Geno. 

If they, say, traded for Drew Brees (extremely unlikely), they'd probably let go of both Fitz AND Geno, and draft a 3rd stringer late.  Petty is fine as the backup if you have a rock solid veteran.

I do not want him here even as a backup.  I want a backup to be either the long time vet that can actually come in and hold the fort or your developmental QB who you see as a potential starter in the future.  I do not want a guy who you are going to kick to the cur next year because you don't like the way he plays.

Exactly.  He's a pretty lousy backup option and no longer a project QB.  You have to be viewed as one or the other to have a job in the NFL.  I'm sure some team out there would scoop him up, but even then there's no guarantee he makes the final cut-down for any team.

If they, say, traded for Drew Brees (extremely unlikely), they'd probably let go of both Fitz AND Geno, and draft a 3rd stringer late.  Petty is fine as the backup if you have a rock solid veteran.

This wouldn't be the smart move, unless they have a ton of faith in Petty. And if they have a ton of faith in Petty, why would they make a blockbuster trade for a guy like Brees? Geno knows the system, has two years of starting experience, and only costs about $1M against the cap to keep him on the roster. You let him play out his rookie deal in that case, and maybe get a comp pick for him down the road. Petty or a journeyman fills the backup role the next season. 

Listen, it all comes down to how they feel about him personally. If they think he's an immature dick who'll never lead the team anywhere, they'll try to trade him for a late pick this offseason. Obviously, the punch brought a lot of crap into the light about how the team feels about Geno (it seemed like they didn't care at all). If they actually feel like he's learned from that experience, that he's shown a little humility and his teammates have warmed up to him a little bit, then they won't be in such a rush. But we don't know what's going on in that locker room, and that's really what it all comes down to. 

Unless they draft a QB in the first round. Then Fitz is the veteran mentor and Geno is certainly gone. 

There is absolutely no reason to keep him next year.  We are starting a QB with a surgically repaired thumb 6 days ago.  If that doesn't tell you what the staff thinks of Geno , what does.  I was at the stadium early, before the Buffalo,game watching the warm ups etc and Geno doesn't even interact with the other players very well, he was hanging out having a catch with the goal post and a ball boy. I'd be shocked if he's back next season. 

This wouldn't be the smart move, unless they have a ton of faith in Petty. And if they have a ton of faith in Petty, why would they make a blockbuster trade for a guy like Brees? Geno knows the system, has two years of starting experience, and only costs about $1M against the cap to keep him on the roster. You let him play out his rookie deal in that case, and maybe get a comp pick for him down the road. Petty or a journeyman fills the backup role the next season. 

Listen, it all comes down to how they feel about him personally. If they think he's an immature dick who'll never lead the team anywhere, they'll try to trade him for a late pick this offseason. Obviously, the punch brought a lot of crap into the light about how the team feels about Geno (it seemed like they didn't care at all). If they actually feel like he's learned from that experience, that he's shown a little humility and his teammates have warmed up to him a little bit, then they won't be in such a rush. But we don't know what's going on in that locker room, and that's really what it all comes down to. 

Unless they draft a QB in the first round. Then Fitz is the veteran mentor and Geno is certainly gone. 

Having faith in Petty as the backup is very different from having faith in him as the starter.  With an expensive veteran QB in place, it makes sense to have the backup be a project type QB.  You're not expecting to have to bench the starter unless due to injury, and at that point, your season is basically over anyways.

Having faith in Petty as the backup is very different from having faith in him as the starter.  With an expensive veteran QB in place, it makes sense to have the backup be a project type QB.  You're not expecting to have to bench the starter unless due to injury, and at that point, your season is basically over anyways.

Yeah, but if you lose your starter for a month, you want a guy who can keep the team competitive for the time being. Geno has two seasons starting under his belt, knows the system, and only costs $1M. Unless they secretly hate them as much as you do, he'd be the logical choice to be the backup in that scenario. Also lets you use that late pick on something other than the scrub QB you'd be looking to install in the #3 spot. 

New Vet Savior, Geno, Petty >>> New Vet Savior, Petty, 7th round scrub

Archived