Where's Geno wind up next year ?

johnnyjet

Yeah, but if you lose your starter for a month, you want a guy who can keep the team competitive for the time being. Geno has two seasons starting under his belt, knows the system, and only costs $1M. Unless they secretly hate them as much as you do, he'd be the logical choice to be the backup in that scenario. Also lets you use that late pick on something other than the scrub QB you'd be looking to install in the #3 spot. 

New Vet Savior, Geno, Petty >>> New Vet Savior, Petty, 7th round scrub

I guess.  I don't think it matters much either way.  I don't expect a big play for a veteran QB, I expect us to go through the draft for a QB and retain Fitz's services for another year.  And that would be the death knell for Geno. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much hate as there is on Geno, and much of it quite justifiably, I agree with slats on this.  The "definite goner" thing is much more the dreams of a Jets fan than anything that is close to guaranteed.  If they bring Fitz back AND sign/draft/trade for another QB, then it's very likely he's gone, but if they do only one of those things, Geno's very likely the cheap backup for one more year, with Petty likely given a real shot to at least take that job from him.

Barring any team making an offer for him, you should all expect that Geno will be here at least until the final cutdowns next preseason, with who else they have and how they are doing being the determining factor if he gets sent packing at that time, because even if the Jets do end up with another set of 3 legitimate QBs, all it takes is an injury to one of them for Geno to remain on the team.  Other than Jets' fans being pissy, there's really no benefit for the team to be in a big rush to get rid of him.

As much hate as there is on Geno, and much of it quite justifiably, I agree with slats on this.  The "definite goner" thing is much more the dreams of a Jets fan than anything that is close to guaranteed.  If they bring Fitz back AND sign/draft/trade for another QB, then it's very likely he's gone, but if they do only one of those things, Geno's very likely the cheap backup for one more year, with Petty likely given a real shot to at least take that job from him.

Barring any team making an offer for him, you should all expect that Geno will be here at least until the final cutdowns next preseason, with who else they have and how they are doing being the determining factor if he gets sent packing at that time, because even if the Jets do end up with another set of 3 legitimate QBs, all it takes is an injury to one of them for Geno to remain on the team.  Other than Jets' fans being pissy, there's really no benefit for the team to be in a big rush to get rid of him.

+1

I can't see them cutting him.  Maybe they would make a deal to send him somewhere for a conditional pick.  He is cheap enough with enough experience maybe somebody would take a shot.  Otherwise, why cut him?  If it were because he is a stiff and distraction they had every opportunity when he got decked.  Of course they could have tried to trade him then too...

Tarvaris Jackson is getting guaranteed years.  The Colts are begging Jason Campbell to come out of retirement to back up Hasselback.  You don't think Geno, at $1M or less, can find a job?  Look at the deals guys like Matt Moore are getting.  Hell, Josh Freeman keeps getting into camps and teams were still reaching out to Jamarcus Russell four years after he last played a down.

Tarvaris Jackson is getting guaranteed years.  The Colts are begging Jason Campbell to come out of retirement to back up Hasselback.  You don't think Geno, at $1M or less, can find a job?  Look at the deals guys like Matt Moore are getting.  Hell, Josh Freeman keeps getting into camps and teams were still reaching out to Jamarcus Russell four years after he last played a down.

It is just the blind Geno hate.  Anyone who thinks he won't be competing for a starter or back up job next year for some NFL team is not paying attention to how weak the position is league wide.  Especially at his salary. 

The funny thing is just a couple of years ago, this board was filled with people similarly proclaiming how Sanchez would be run out of the league.  As glad as I was to see him gone, it was obvious he would be considered a quality back-up and likely have such a job for as long as he wants it.  While Sanchez has obviously had more success than Geno has, the point is that some fans convince themselves that all of the NFL has the same emotional investment in players as they do.  If anything, it's more likely that some team who liked Geno when he was coming out will think the problem was the Jets, and that they can make Geno into what they thought he would be.  With Geno coming cheaply and likely as nothing more than a backup, there's no way that at least one team wouldn't give it a try.  This is all assuming that the Jets have 3 healthy QBs they're happy with heading into next season so that they even decide to get rid of him.

And to add another player onto your list that Jets fans can truly understand... Kellen Clemens is currently in the midst of his 10th NFL season.

The funny thing is just a couple of years ago, this board was filled with people similarly proclaiming how Sanchez would be run out of the league.  As glad as I was to see him gone, it was obvious he would be considered a quality back-up and likely have such a job for as long as he wants it.  While Sanchez has obviously had more success than Geno has, the point is that some fans convince themselves that all of the NFL has the same emotional investment in players as they do.  If anything, it's more likely that some team who liked Geno when he was coming out will think the problem was the Jets, and that they can make Geno into what they thought he would be.  With Geno coming cheaply and likely as nothing more than a backup, there's no way that at least one team wouldn't give it a try.  This is all assuming that the Jets have 3 healthy QBs they're happy with heading into next season so that they even decide to get rid of him.

And to add another player onto your list that Jets fans can truly understand... Kellen Clemens is currently in the midst of his 10th NFL season.

the lemens comment is scary reality of nfl about supply. 

Buffalo. Rex will want to try and prove that Geno's failure to succeed here was because of Idzik.

Him and his fragile ego won't be able to resist that temptation. 

No way in hell. Rex despises Geno and blames him for getting fired from the Jets 

The odds of Geno NOT being on the team next year are extremely low. If his contract was up, good chance he is not resigned. But last year of rookie contract? Unless someone gives us a 3rd or better he is not going anywhere.

A third?!?!  If they even halfway like Petty they would take a conditional 6th.

Oh wait, you are one of the guys that think he is a viable starter and should replace Fitzpatrick?  Carry on.

A third?!?!  If they even halfway like Petty they would take a conditional 6th.

Oh wait, you are one of the guys that think he is a viable starter and should replace Fitzpatrick?  Carry on.

I said a third because if the Jets let him play out his contract and let him go, depending on how active we are in free agency, Geno would sign a large enough contract to give us a compensatory pick. Once again I do not know if Geno will be a viable starter, but I do know that Fitz is not.  

Hopefully he gets traded week to week to whoever the Jets are playing that week so we can go undefeated.

Be careful what you ask for.  I can see him going to Miami and competing with Tannehill.  He always played good against them and maybe the light bulb comes on for him and now we are facing not only Rex twice a year but a motivated Geno.  Before everyone laughs, stranger things have happened.... 

Be careful what you ask for.  I can see him going to Miami and competing with Tannehill.  He always played good against them and maybe the light bulb comes on for him and now we are facing not only Rex twice a year but a motivated Geno.  Before everyone laughs, stranger things have happened.... 

I'll swap Geno and Tannehill right now, and I think Tannehill stinks too.. but he can back up the beard for the next 5 years if he wants to.

#FitzMagicTilDeath

Archived