Quinton Coples Waived

Maxman

an asset that has depreciated to the point where it wasn't worth salvaging.  they don't want big slow lbs, but that's what they inherited.  they want guys like mauldin off the edge, and guys better than him off the edge.  they just couldn't shop for everything in one offseason.

depreciated by coaches that tried to make him something he wasn't. he was definitely worth salvaging. doesn't take long to put 30 pounds back on in the offseason. of course the jets don't want big slow lb's off of the edge. coples is a defensive tackle asked to drop weight

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depreciated by coaches that tried to make him something he wasn't. he was definitely worth salvaging. doesn't take long to put 30 pounds back on in the offseason. of course the jets don't want big slow lb's off of the edge. coples is a defensive tackle asked to drop weight

they tried trading him since pre-season, no takers

Cut a player, you dont play because you're worried about injury.  Makes sense to me. 

Actually a smart decision.  Like it or not we can't afford to pay Coples $8M next season.  We've got more important players to pay.  Players get hurt in the NFL.  Kind of a lot.  If we merely held him off the field it would just be wasting a roster spot at that point.  Much like RG3 is wasting space in Washington. 

A potential $8M mistake would have been a heavy price to pay when you consider that, currently, we are due to only have $8.3M in cap space next year.  Moves will be made to make sure we have more (like cutting Cro), but we're tight right now.

If Coples was so good, why is Leger Douzable getting reps over him?  Either he isn't so hot or he has a bad attitude. Quite possibly both.

Same reason Colt McCoy is the backup to Kirk Cousins in Washington instead of RG3.  If RG3 plays and gets hurt, they owe him $16M against the cap in 2016, fully guaranteed.  Had we kept Coples and he got hurt, we owe him nearly $8M against the cap.  He essentially became a lame duck player.

I suppose one could ask the question "Why now?"  Perhaps the front office and coaching staff wanted to give him an opportunity to prove he was worth the money they'd have been set to pay him in 2016. 

LINEBACKERS POS OFF DEF ST Total
Harris, David ILB   73 5 78
Davis, Demario ILB   69 4 73
Pace, Calvin OLB   39 5 44
Mauldin, Lorenzo OLB   10 4 14
Henderson, Erin ILB   7 21 28
Coples, Quinton OLB   5 5 10

welp

no surprise

Actually a smart decision.  Like it or not we can't afford to pay Coples $8M next season.  We've got more important players to pay.  Players get hurt in the NFL.  Kind of a lot.  If we merely held him off the field it would just be wasting a roster spot at that point.  Much like RG3 is wasting space in Washington. 

its only smart in the sense that its their only option. they wanted him to shine at olb all season. we all knew that he couldn't. going back to d-lineman was obviously never even considered. shame

Players get hurt, kind of a lot, so lets cut some depth who can play any position on the DL and some OLB if necessary.  Richardson is sidelined, Mo Wilk came out of the game for a second, what if all the Sons got hurt at the same time? Or again, you're getting nothing from that unit, why not give him some run?

And who are the more important players to pay?   Not that he's an asset, just curious. 

I just always thought his reaction time was really slow. ... strong athlete ... slow recognition

basically an interior lineman.  not possessed of the kind of first step an outside guy needs. or incredible size even when he was a lineman.   but he is a terror over centers and guards.  and he hits like a truck

Players get hurt, kind of a lot, so lets cut some depth who can play any position on the DL and some OLB if necessary.  Richardson is sidelined, Mo Wilk came out of the game for a second, what if all the Sons got hurt at the same time? Or again, you're getting nothing from that unit, why not give him some run?

And who are the more important players to pay?   Not that he's an asset, just curious. 

free agents who are not yet on the team.

Same reason Colt McCoy is the backup to Kirk Cousins in Washington instead of RG3.  If RG3 plays and gets hurt, they owe him $16M against the cap in 2016, fully guaranteed.  Had we kept Coples and he got hurt, we owe him nearly $8M against the cap.  He essentially became a lame duck player.

I suppose one could ask the question "Why now?"  Perhaps the front office and coaching staff wanted to give him an opportunity to prove he was worth the money they'd have been set to pay him in 2016. 

It's not the same.  RGIII is injury riddled, fragile player that plays a position that is highly exposed to taking a big hit and getting injured....especially the way he plays.

They dont even play Coples, yet are worried about injury?   How was he supposed to prove anything when he doesnt play?

Player get hurt, kind of a lot, so lets cut some depth who can play any position on the DL and some OLB if necessary.  Richardson is sidelined, Mo Wilk came out of the game for a second, what if all the Sons got hurt at the same time? Or again, you're getting nothing from that unit, why not give him some run?

Wilkerson's contract extension is priority one.  That can't happen if we're paying stupid Coples $8M FULLY GUARANTEED.  That's too much risk with not much reward.  After all, Coples sucks.

The options were either keep him to waste space on the roster or cut him.  We weren't going to give him significant snaps with that injury clause, just like the Redskins have been deactivating RG3 every week.  Macc understands the finances too much to consider pleas like the one you're making.  Better to just remove the distraction and maybe see if someone else on the roster is hungry enough to get some significant snaps.

It's not the same.  RGIII is injury riddled, fragile player that plays a position that is highly exposed to taking a big hit and getting injured....especially the way he plays.

They dont even play Coples, yet are worried about injury?   How was he supposed to prove anything when he doesnt play?

We've seen many non-fragile players go down this year.  It's really simple.  In the NFL players get hurt.  An injury would have cost us $8M.  Would you have been OK with that happening just because we wanted to give Coples some "run"?  Is he really that much of an impact player? 

Wilkerson's contract extension is priority one.  That can't happen if we're paying stupid Coples $8M FULLY GUARANTEED.

The options were either keep him to waste space on the roster or cut him.  We weren't going to give him significant snaps with that injury clause, just like the Redskins have been deactivating RG3 every week.  Macc understands the finances too much to consider emotional pleas like the one you're making.  Better to just remove the distraction and maybe see if someone else on the roster is hungry enough to get some significant snaps.

Wilk is getting franchise tagged.  Its clear as the sky is blue.

What emotional plea am I making?  That he might be better than who's out there?  We wouldnt know because they dont play him and when they do, its not his natural position. Bowles gives him zero reps on the DL.  Zero.  At least Rex would give him some looks over a guard or center and you'd see Coples end MoJo Drew's career or strip sack Brady. He's not getting those chances, at all.  Instead, Leger Douzable and his 12 tackles get more DL run.  

This is Cro, this is Kerley, this is Devin Smith returning kicks, this is Pace > Maudlin.  Its the same sh*t, different player.  The personnel usage is a joke on this team. 

I'm so not shocked, and take Bowles at his word here. No role for him here, and all that could happen is a freak serious injury to lock us into him for $7.8M next season. Like I said earlier. This was no message being sent by dropping Coples. This was an actuarial move by the GM, and a solid one at that given the Jets' use of Coples.

May even benefit both parties, as Coples - prior to becoming a FA in March - gets a 5-6 week tryout with a new team who might be more interested in signing him (and paying him more) than if he'd languished as a reserve on the Jets for the rest of the season.

We've seen many non-fragile players go down this year.  It's really simple.  In the NFL players get hurt.  An injury would have cost us $8M.  Would you have been OK with that happening just because we wanted to give Coples some "run"?  Is he really that much of an impact player? 

Possibly.  Who knows?  We dont because he doesnt get the chance.  Meanwhile, the DL sucks and that's cool because we have cool names that play on it but actually dont do sh*t.  But hey, why give a guy like him a chance to play his natural position?  Because he might get hurt and he might get paid? Ok cool.  Lets just cut him instead.  Makes sense. 

basically an interior lineman.  not possessed of the kind of first step an outside guy needs. or incredible size even when he was a lineman.   but he is a terror over centers and guards.  and he hits like a truck

2 sets of coaches couldn't see this. glad someone else saw what I saw

I'm so not shocked, and take Bowles at his word here. No role for him here, and all that could happen is a freak serious injury to lock us into him for $7.8M next season. Like I said earlier. This was no message being sent by Coples. This was an actuarial move by the GM, and a solid one at that given the Jets' use of Coples.

May even benefit both parties, as Coples - prior to becoming a FA in March - gets a 5-6 week tryout with a new team who might be more interested in signing him (and paying him more) than if he'd languished as a reserve on the Jets for the rest of the season.

you don't think the timing is funny, considering the entire jets squad is playing like crap the past 3 weeks? 2 rooks trying to do something, anything to change the momentum? your money line makes sense and I see the benefit money wise, but I aint buying what bowles said. something else is at play here

I'm so not shocked, and take Bowles at his word here. No role for him here, and all that could happen is a freak serious injury to lock us into him for $7.8M next season. Like I said earlier. This was no message being sent by Coples. This was an actuarial move by the GM, and a solid one at that given the Jets' use of Coples.

you don't think the timing is funny, considering the entire jets squad is playing like crap the past 3 weeks? 2 rooks trying to do something, anything to change the momentum? your money line makes sense and I see the benefit money wise, but I aint buying what bowles said. something else is at play here

maybe I am thinking too much into this, but I am starting to think that maybe coples quietly forced his way out of town. knowing he wasn't that good at olb and that he was behind wilks, williams, and Richardson on the depth chart at d-line, he figured his only move was out of new York. kinda thin but

We waive a former first round pick who was out of position a couple weeks removed from the trade deadline? Couldn't find a ******* trade partner?  That is pretty bad personnel management.  JMO.  He has to be worth a conditional late round pick at a minimum.  

We waive a former first round pick who was out of position a couple weeks removed from the trade deadline? Couldn't find a ******* trade partner?  That is pretty bad personnel management.  JMO.  He has to be worth a conditional late round pick at a minimum.  

His contract likely hindered any ability to trade him. 

His contract likely hindered any ability to trade him. 

If that is the case, than we have a huge problem in the Front Office.  Base salary of next to nothing this year, and only half would pass on.  Next year is not guaranteed, and a conditional pick would probably be based on renegotiating his contract.  

I really hope there is more to the story than waiving him three weeks past the deadline.  No role for him in week 11, but there was in week 8?

Archived