The emerging backup QB conundrum

jetscrazey

With Fitz solidly in place as the starter and Hackenberg and Petty both waiting in the wings as guys with tremendous upside if they can figure it out mentally, Geno Smith is caught in limbo.  It's becoming apparent that he has little chance of a future as the long-term starting QB here.  If Hack/Petty were at all ready to be a 2nd stringer I'd say just trade or release Geno.  However, I don't think either of them will be ready to play in 2016.  I saw Petty as a 2-3 year project when he was drafted and Hack probably needs at least a year as well.  This leaves Geno as the backup, however it puts the team in a tough position to either keep 4 QBs or park either Hack or Petty on the practice squad and expose them to another team signing them to their active roster.  I think if it happens, it'll happen to Petty, not Hack.  However, when they invested a pick in Petty last year, they knew that he was not a 1 year project either, and Petty's special arm gives him significant upside if he can figure it out mentally.  It might not be the best idea to expose him either on the practice squad in that case.  If Petty really stinks in the preseason the decision will be easier to make, but if he shows development they might have to just bite the bullet and keep 4 QBs this year in order to keep their options open.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone tell me how long does it take a QB to be ready to step in and play in the NFL? Does it really take three years? Will Hack be ready in one? This will be Geno's third year and by all accounts he's not ready as evident by his past play. So Petty will need another year at least of sitting, practicing, and learning? Really seems like a long time to learn the freaking playbook and defenses, no?

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

With Fitz solidly in place as the starter and Hackenberg and Petty both waiting in the wings as guys with tremendous upside if they can figure it out mentally, Geno Smith is caught in limbo.  It's becoming apparent that he has little chance of a future as the long-term starting QB here.  If Hack/Petty were at all ready to be a 2nd stringer I'd say just trade or release Geno.  However, I don't think either of them will be ready to play in 2016.  I saw Petty as a 2-3 year project when he was drafted and Hack probably needs at least a year as well.  This leaves Geno as the backup, however it puts the team in a tough position to either keep 4 QBs or park either Hack or Petty on the practice squad and expose them to another team signing them to their active roster.  I think if it happens, it'll happen to Petty, not Hack.  However, when they invested a pick in Petty last year, they knew that he was not a 1 year project either, and Petty's special arm gives him significant upside if he can figure it out mentally.  It might not be the best idea to expose him either on the practice squad in that case.  If Petty really stinks in the preseason the decision will be easier to make, but if he shows development they might have to just bite the bullet and keep 4 QBs this year in order to keep their options open.

Ha no.. Geno is making peanuts, and is 100% more capable #2 than hack or petty ( at least for this yr ) 

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I like this post. I like Petty and hoped the Jets drafted him and they did. I still think he has the most upside and if he can get some reps in preseason will get a spot. The Jets GM has no loyalty to Geno and if they can they should trade him in the preseason. It will give Geno a fresh start and Macc can see what he has in Petty and Hackenberg. I believe he will draft a QB every year until he finds his franchise QB. The Ron Wolf theory is proven and if you have 2 good QB's you can always unload one for draft picks.

9 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

I like this post. I like Petty and hoped the Jets drafted him and they did. I still think he has the most upside and if he can get some reps in preseason will get a spot. The Jets GM has no loyalty to Geno and if they can they should trade him in the preseason. It will give Geno a fresh start and Macc can see what he has in Petty and Hackenberg. I believe he will draft a QB every year until he finds his franchise QB. The Ron Wolf theory is proven and if you have 2 good QB's you can always unload one for draft picks.

Yaa no.. Signing Fitz on a one yr deal, (one where we will likely have to push bad contracts onto next yr ) means we are all in this yr.. Given the age of our top players it is the right call.. However if Fitz goes down we need geno.. He is making peanuts and is far better option than petty and hac who are equally not ready.. Wether you were for Fitz or geno, you have to be much more confident with both on the team not just one.. That is why Fitz was acquired last yr.. You don't want to pin your entire season on the health on a your staring qb..  

51 minutes ago, Blackout said:

I have no idea what everyone here has against Geno but he has much more upside than the other 2 back ups ever will

He stinks and you have to question his judgement when you don't pay a teammate back 600 bucks. then gets in his face when he is a massive 270 lb. No teammates came to Geno defense after the altercation. You think any angry linebacker could get that close to Brady or Brees? More importantly survive after hitting your QB. Since Geno barely played last year people think he's good. But he is not and if he were there would be true QB competition. The Jets brass waited for Fitz and had no intention of going into the season with Geno as the starter.

55 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

He stinks and you have to question his judgement when you don't pay a teammate back 600 bucks. then gets in his face when he is a massive 270 lb. No teammates came to Geno defense after the altercation. You think any angry linebacker could get that close to Brady or Brees? More importantly survive after hitting your QB. Since Geno barely played last year people think he's good. But he is not and if he were there would be true QB competition. The Jets brass waited for Fitz and had no intention of going into the season with Geno as the starter.

Look how happy they are that Fitz is back. I mean cmon its quite telling.

FItz Return.jpg

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Good topic and one that needs to be addressed,  Hack is the future right now. Petty has squandered but still has potential. Geno is ..well....a POS.  I would just cut this a$$hole and roll the dice with Fitz, Petty and Hack.  Geno has ZERO future with this team, better to rid this cancer NOW.  If Fitz goes down for any length, the season's over anyways.  There is no way you can have 4 QB's on the roster. Fitz and Hack are locks.  Petty could be exiled but I'd keep him over Geno in a NY minute.   

Unless Petty passes Geno on the depth chart in camp, my guess would be they carry four QBs into the season opener and then cut Petty and slip him onto the practice squad. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Unless Petty passes Geno on the depth chart in camp, my guess would be they carry four QBs into the season opener and then cut Petty and slip him onto the practice squad. 

Does the one game suspension of Richardson help here?

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Yaa no.. Signing Fitz on a one yr deal, (one where we will likely have to push bad contracts onto next yr ) means we are all in this yr.. Given the age of our top players it is the right call.. However if Fitz goes down we need geno.. He is making peanuts and is far better option than petty and hac who are equally not ready.. Wether you were for Fitz or geno, you have to be much more confident with both on the team not just one.. That is why Fitz was acquired last yr.. You don't want to pin your entire season on the health on a your staring qb..  

I was never with Geno in any capacity. I was so glad they signed Fitz last year and on every blog I can think of I wanted him back more than ever this year. The Jets staff knew they had to have Fitz back and if they went with Fitz the season would have been over before it begin. Yes Geno can beat Miami in Miami everyday and twice on Sunday but that is not enough in the National Football League. Fitz has his issues too but his season last year was  better than any Jets QB since Namath. You don't disregard that.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Look how happy they are that Fitz is back. I mean cmon its quite telling.

FItz Return.jpg

BOOM!!! I feel the same way Pow. I was depressed think about Geno under center for my Jets. the Jets knew exactly what they had in Geno and just wanted to add a little drama to the beginning of the season.

Geno is a top 10 "backup" in this league. Name all the backups better than him? While I have no idea what Genos future in the NFL will look like, he still played in with one of the most disfunctional teams, under a lame duck coach in Ryan, with probably some of the worst skill players ever assembled under Idzik. 

He needs a new start & next year a team will take a chance. I think the kid came in way too full of himself, but playing in NY is no walk in the park. From the moment he decided to give the fans the middle finger, his time was up. He's booed when he throws an incompletion for gods sake. I would not be totally surprised to see him succeed somewhere else, gain his confidence back & become a more modest individual. He cut his teeth in the City of Hard Knocks, booed & cursed at unmercifully, punched in the face by a 270 Lb LB with no one coming to his defense. He's our backup this year. Unless we sign Foles on the cheap,lol.

16 minutes ago, Harlemnite1 said:

I was never with Geno in any capacity. I was so glad they signed Fitz last year and on every blog I can think of I wanted him back more than ever this year. The Jets staff knew they had to have Fitz back and if they went with Fitz the season would have been over before it begin. Yes Geno can beat Miami in Miami everyday and twice on Sunday but that is not enough in the National Football League. Fitz has his issues too but his season last year was  better than any Jets QB since Namath. You don't disregard that.

And we had the best WR duo in jet history..  Now it's time for Fitz to show last yr wasn't just a fluke..  I hope Marshall/decker stay healthy again otherwise will have major problems..

6 hours ago, HessStation said:

I'm going to just guess, Petty to practice squad. Gene gone next year and you have Hackenberg or Petty...or FA or draft pick to choose from...

Highly doubt Petty would make it through waivers unclaimed. 

7 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

I have this gut feeling that Hack will get "Hurt" and effectively redshirted this year, something I would not be against whatsoever.

And go where?  on IR? Can't practice when on IR. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Isn't it nice to be having a debate about the BACKUP QB heading into training camp?

Most of us knew this was coming, but still feels great to see the Jets treat the QB position with the emphasis/importance it deserves :)

31 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And go where?  on IR? Can't practice when on IR. 

I honestly do not know how many snaps the 3rd of 4th string qb get during practice after TC? Is it enough to justify keeping him on the 53 and not have depth at a position of need or a player that could contribute on ST?

44 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

I honestly do not know how many snaps the 3rd of 4th string qb get during practice after TC? Is it enough to justify keeping him on the 53 and not have depth at a position of need or a player that could contribute on ST?

Solution : Petty plays ST! :D 

I can see either Petty or Hack come down with a mysterious injury and end up on IR at the end of TC. No way Petty makes it through waivers. Either Cleveland, Rams, Bills, Chargers, Arizona, Chicago, Pats, Washington, Saints, Dallas will claim him. All could use a young backup with his potential

Like last season Geno will be here this year and on the roster as no. 2. And that's a no-brainer. He has the experience and not all of it is bad. He ranks up there with most of the NFL backups and he's only making less than 2 mil. Like with Fitz the only way he can prove his worth around the league is to play in games in 2016. Fitz is on a one year deal and for his career, too he has to play well. If Geno plays this year and does well it helps him get a better contract for next year either here or somewhere else. And considering Fitz's "reckless" style of play and old bones there is a fair chance that Geno as next man up will play this year. So it's not just holding a clipboard he has an important job on this team. Hopefully the reports that he's "lightning years" ahead of last year are true. If they are it's great for our team. But to me it looks like the future at this time is with Hack. Because he's Mac's guy. 

30 minutes ago, kennyo7 said:

I can see either Petty or Hack come down with a mysterious injury and end up on IR at the end of TC. No way Petty makes it through waivers. Either Cleveland, Rams, Bills, Chargers, Arizona, Chicago, Pats, Washington, Saints, Dallas will claim him. All could use a young backup with his potential

I think you could be right about the IR. But with Petty it's not certain if he's cut somebody would pick him up. They would have to carry him on their 53 all season. Most of these teams have their own developmental Qbs who they know better than him. I think there's a good chance they cut him unless he plays well in exhibition games. They could also try to hide him and not play him too much during pre-season which is a standard trick teams try to pull off. 

Archived