why is Bilal Powell barely playing ? ? ?

kelly

Entering this season, it seemed running backs Matt Forte and Bilal Powell would make a nice, fairly equitable tandem for the Jets.But so far, Forte has received the vast majority of the workload. Through two games, Forte has 52 carries for 196 yards and seven catches for 68 yards, while Powell has just five carries for 43 yards and three catches for 8 yards. 

In Thursday's 37-31 win at the Bills, Forte played 61 of 75 snaps, while Powell played 17 snaps, getting almost exclusively third-down action. This was basically the same ratio as the opener against the Bengals — 54 to 17, for Forte. 

It'll be interesting to see if the Jets mix in Powell more as the season progresses. Forte, after all, is a 30-year-old running back who now has 2,087 career regular season carries on his body. But he has looked good so far. And the Jets have continued to ride him — 30 carries and two catches on Thursday. 

Consider that Chris Ivory, during his time with the Jets, had more than 23 carries just twice — 34 in 2013 against the Patriots and 29 last season in London against the Dolphins. 

rest of above article : 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/why_is_bilal_powell_barely_playing_jets_snap_count.html#incart_river_index

I posted about this in another thread, I dont like see Forte getting 30+ touches a game.  That's wayyyy to much for a 30 year old RB.  Especially when Powell is a very capable back.  It doesnt really make a ton of sense to me but Forte has been solid so I get it, I just hope he doesnt fall off from being over worked.  We dont have a ton of RB Depth.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I posted about this in another thread, I dont like see Forte getting 30+ touches a game.  That's wayyyy to much for a 30 year old RB.  Especially when Powell is a very capable back.  It doesnt really make a ton of sense to me but Forte has been solid so I get it, I just hope he doesnt fall off from being over worked.  We dont have a ton of RB Depth.

Well we probably don't have to count the one where he walked untouched into the end zone so there's that :)  Seriously though, he doesn't seem to be ending his runs with violent collisions.  So while 30 every week is a high number, I think he could thrive in the mid-20s if he continues to avoid jarring hits.

Just now, nycdan said:

Well we probably don't have to count the one where he walked untouched into the end zone so there's that :)  Seriously though, he doesn't seem to be ending his runs with violent collisions.  So while 30 every week is a high number, I think he could thrive in the mid-20s if he continues to avoid jarring hits.

On one of his TD's, he got rocked!!! Loudest hit of the game and yet he managed to somehow keep moving forward and break the goal line.  For someone who is supposedly a terrible short yardage back he's fighting for every extra yard. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

On one of his TD's, he got rocked!!! Loudest hit of the game and yet he managed to somehow keep moving forward and break the goal line.  For someone who is supposedly a terrible short yardage back he's fighting for every extra yard. 

Fair point.  that was tough sledding and a great job

You know...when you read all this stuff about Forte, you'd think he's not a big guy.  But he's 6'1" 220 lb.

Just a few comparison points:  Chris Ivory: 6'0" 220 lb., Adrian Peterson: 6'2" 217 lb., Marshawn Lynch: 5'11" 215 lb.

Forte is right in there with a bunch of guys who do just fine in short distance rushing.  Styles are different but no reason he can't bust it up down the middle now and then.

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Powell and Forte in the backfield  together with our 3 WR;'s should be a match-up nightmare for defenses if the Oline holds up.  I saw them together in at least one play yesterday.  Hope to see this more.

It's nice to finally have some serious weapons on offense!! It doesn't matter how good the D is they ca't cover and account for everyone if you load it up like that

@Connor_J_Hughes why so little involvement of Powell (especially on 1st and 2nd down). Personally think he's more explosive than Forte.

HUGHES: The Jets signed Matt Forte to be their featured back, and they're using him as a featured back. He is the team's runner on every first- and second-down play, along with goal line and short yardage. Powell is the third-down back. He only comes in the game on third downs or if Forte needs an immediate rest. 

In camp, preseason, and throughout the first two weeks of the regular season, the Jets have made it abundantly clear they will not ease Forte's touches until they have to. Forte's still holding up, so they are giving it to him time and time again.I do not agree with this, but that's their thinking. If it was me, I'd want to preserve Forte now, to ensure I have him down the road. But I'm a reporter, not a coach. So what do I know?

Another thinking is the Jets are using him now during the incredibly difficult six-game stretch, to rest him more when they play some easier teams.As far as Powell being more explosive? Maybe from a technical standpoint, but there's no comparison between the two as runners. Forte is better. Much better. 

rest of above article : 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/how_impressive_has_darron_lee_been_will_quincy_enu.html#incart_river_index

On 9/16/2016 at 1:20 PM, JiF said:

He was terrible in short yardage last year but I think he's been excellent around the goalline his whole career otherwise.

Chalk it up to the Bears being stupid and not using him properly the last year or so.  Or perhaps their O-line.

On September 16, 2016 at 1:20 PM, JiF said:

He is smart. He slides or takes the hit in an oblique way.  Rarely gets lined up.  

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

He is smart. He slides or takes the hit in an oblique way.  Rarely gets lined up.  

That's like saying "I getin car accidents but before impact I slightly turn the wheel so I don't go head on." There's still damage no matter how he gets tackled or how you drive your car. 

35 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's like saying "I getin car accidents but before impact I slightly turn the wheel so I don't go head on." There's still damage no matter how he gets tackled or how you drive your car. 

Lololol ... If crashing cars 20-30 times every Sunday was your job it might make a difference! 

Nobody wants to grind Forte down before he can help push us into the playoffs

(through 2 games though he's been the best non D-line player on the team ... Both games have been in doubt to the very end ... You don't take your best offensive player out of a game that could go either way)

i'm sure the coaches are trying to get him a breather when the game allows

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I drove Demo derbies for years, damn right taking a glancing blow causes much less damage then a head on one.  Same thing with a RB, glancing much better then a head on one.

Answer to why Powell not playing, simple, their is a HOF running back ahead of him on the depth chart.

11 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He still avoids the kind of hits our RB took last year.  Reminds me of Curtis a bit

11 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Powell will get his touches. 

I seriously doubt the you are going to continue to see Forte getting 30 touches a game.

Agreed, I also think that the 2 games being very close has something to do with it. They clearly trust Forte because he is the better back, they spent money on him to play him. As defenses adjust to Forte, so will the Jets.

On 9/16/2016 at 1:16 PM, CobraVerde said:

OMG it's week 2 and Forte is killing it whats wrong with people?? media just trying to start crap

+1.  Forte's playing most partly because Powell's big contribution the last few years is pass receiving, and Forte does that very well.  Another reason is that Forte has been one of the league's best backs for the past few years, Powell has been one of the league's best substitute/situational backs the last few years, so guess who gets more touches?  A third reason is that it is hard to take a man out when he is averaging 130 yards a game for you.

I'm sure Powell's share of touches will increase as the season progresses.

Archived