Bowles worried about players quitting if Petty starts

Ex-Rex

In today's Daily News column Manish Mehta explains Bowles conundrum saying that Bowles fears some veteran players will quit on him if he starts Bryce Petty. If it was me I would start Petty and then look closely at the players who don't seem to be giving full effort. Those guys would soon be on the waiver wire - and I wouldn't care WHO they were. Players play, coaches coach and owners sign the checks and that's that. BTW I have seen a LOT of players this season who don't look like they are "giving it their all" I have seen Calvin Pryor, who is a terrific actor at acting like he is playing hard as well as Darrelle Revis the past several weeks. I would put Mo WIlkerson in that category as well. What do you guys think? Should Bowles try to "appease" his veteran players or like Sinatra said, "I'll do it MY WAY."

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ex-Rex said:

In today's Daily News column Manish Mehta explains Bowles conundrum saying that Bowles fears some veteran players will quit on him if he starts Bryce Petty. If it was me I would start Petty and then look closely at the players who don't seem to be giving full effort. Those guys would soon be on the waiver wire - and I wouldn't care WHO they were. Players play, coaches coach and owners sign the checks and that's that. BTW I have seen a LOT of players this season who don't look like they are "giving it their all" I have seen Calvin Pryor, who is a terrific actor at acting like he is playing hard as well as Darrelle Revis the past several weeks. I would put Mo WIlkerson in that category as well. What do you guys think? Should Bowles try to "appease" his veteran players or like Sinatra said, "I'll do it MY WAY."

mangold is out.  revis sucks.  harris sucks.  fitz is benched.  marshall kisses the ass of whichever qb is starting.  wilk and richardson would rather eat cake than attend meetings.  who exactly is he afraid of quitting at this point?  

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

That would be on the coach, wouldn't it?

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

mangold is out.  revis sucks.  harris sucks.  fitz is benched.  marshall kisses the ass of whichever qb is starting.  wilk and richardson would rather eat cake than attend meetings.  who exactly is he afraid of quitting at this point?  

Exactly. Who are these vets who we are afraid might quit?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I know. It seems like more than half the defense has packed it in already, so I don't see who Bowles is afraid of quitting. I didn't write the column I just brought it here for discussion. Bowles and Mac have a huge job on their hands weeding out the pretenders on this team and there are a lot of them.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

In all fairness, the cake was at the meeting. 

18 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I know. It seems like more than half the defense has packed it in already, so I don't see who Bowles is afraid of quitting. I didn't write the column I just brought it here for discussion. Bowles and Mac have a huge job on their hands weeding out the pretenders on this team and there are a lot of them.

Honestly, has the defense even showed up for a singe full game yet.

Can't be afraid to start Petty and get a real evaluation of him running the "full" offense, not this scared/safe/conservative bullsh*t we saw on last Sunday. Let him throw the ball like the other 31 teams in the NFL, it's a passing league now.

24 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

That's exactly why you start Petty.  Not only does it give you closure on the QB position for next season but it also is a great test for the rest of the roster.  Who should stay and who should go.  If you have guys quitting because Petty is the QB when the season is already lost, then they shouldnt be on this team next year.

I'm starting to hate Todd Bowles like I've never hated a coach on any of my teams in any sports.  He's a real turd bag. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

That's exactly why you start Petty.  Not only does it give you closure on the QB position for next season but it also is a great test for the rest of the roster.  Who should stay and who should go.  If you have guys quitting because Petty is the QB when the season is already lost, then they shouldnt be on this team next year.

I'm starting to hate Todd Bowles like I've never hated a coach on any of my teams in any sports.  He's a real turd bag. 

You are right. First thing Bowles should tell the team when they come in Monday is Petty is the starter the rest of the way. If any of you bums who have gotten us to 3-7 have a problem with it, leave your helmets at the door and get the hell out.  This is easy, even Bowles should be able to figure it out.

Totally understand where Bowles is coming from with this. Veteran players have a tendency to do that and when some of the media and a large portion of the fans are calling for you to be fired unfairly it's a tough road to go down. You just have to hope the owner is smart enough to tune out that noise.

The best cure is for him to stick with Petty and Petty plays well.

Heres the entire article this organization is really messed up and Todd Bowles needs to be fired!!!!!!!!

Todd Bowles' curious refusal to name Bryce Petty the starting quarterback from this point forward makes a little more sense when you uncover the coach's delicate balancing act.

There are rumblings on One Jets Drive that Bowles is concerned his team will check out if he plays the second-year signal caller against the Patriots on Nov. 27. There's little debate that Ryan Fitzpatrick is better than Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg, but it's fair to question the logic of playing a veteran quarterback who won't be back next season for a 3-7 team that’s already out of the playoff picture.

The cold harsh truth is that Petty, for all the improvements that he's made since entering the league from Baylor's spread system, still has a very long way to go before gaining faith from the organization. Eye witnesses in practice believe Petty is still so far behind Fitzpatrick and that Bowles would lose credibility with his players if he went with the inferior signal caller with six games left in the season.

General manager Mike Maccagnan insisted this week that he'll consult with Bowles, but the head coach will make the ultimate decision on the starting quarterback. The general manager and head coach are on parallel tracks in Woody Johnson's power structure, so Maccagnan isn't in a position to deliver an edict (which is another problem for a different day).

On the surface, it seems like a no-brainer: Give Petty a two-month audition to properly evaluate him before determining the best course of action in the offseason.

"You'd like to see young players play, but you also want to make sure they're ready for that," Maccagnan said. "It's a more complicated decision than some people realize."

"You think of different aspects when you decide on making a change, especially at that position, because it affects other players on the team, too," the GM. added. "If you're trying to determine what gives you the best chance to be successful, but also if you're looking how players develop and progress, I think the point I would simply make is you just don't do it. You don't just wing it. ... It's not a decision you take lightly. You also want to make sure the player … is ready to a degree to set them up for success."

Jets head Todd Bowles is fearful that naming Bryce Petty the staring quarterback over Ryan Fitzpatrick will lead to a revolt.

Jets head Todd Bowles is fearful that naming Bryce Petty the staring quarterback over Ryan Fitzpatrick will lead to a revolt.

(GREGORY SHAMUS/GETTY IMAGES)

Two-part translation: A) The brain-trust thinks Petty isn't close to ready yet and B) They're worried that some veterans will quit on Bowles if they don't treat the quarterback position as a meritocracy.

Bowles has been maligned for various reasons during this forgettable season, but he's no dummy. He knows that Fitzpatrick clearly gives him the best opportunity to win now, but the organization needs time to properly evaluate Petty. He shouldn't even have to worry about players quitting on him. Alas, he does.

The concern in the building is that Petty won't have the proper support from some veterans, who will mail it in. It's a precarious position for Bowles, who, frankly, doesn't need this headache right now.

Sure, true professionals should play hard no matter which choice the brain trust makes, but the reality is that some players will indeed quit if they believe that the organization has closed the book on 2016 with an eye on evaluating players for the future. (The Jets should get rid of those players when they reveal themselves in the coming weeks, by the way).

Bowles isn't immune from criticism though. Ask yourself this question: If Fitzpatrick wasn't healthy enough to start last week against the Rams, then why was he active at all? Why wasn't Hackenberg the No. 2 quarterback behind Petty?

The answer: Hackenberg is light years away from being ready to play in a real game. Bowles, Maccagnan and just about everyone else in the organization knows and sees that. The rookie is not any kind of option at the moment.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has the edge on Bryce Petty in the talent department, but he’s not part of the Jets’ future.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has the edge on Bryce Petty in the talent department, but he’s not part of the Jets’ future.

(GREGORY SHAMUS/GETTY IMAGES)

"We also want to make sure we don't set a timetable in there to what he may eventually be," Maccagnan said. "Our goal is to develop him. If he can fulfill his potential, then, obviously, that's good for us."

Holding your breath on this one is not recommended. It could be a while.

So, the Jets, who have started 29 quarterbacks since a guy in a fur coat delivered their one and only Super Bowl five decades ago, have a familiar conundrum. Petty and Hackenberg, who have one career start between them, are the only quarterbacks under contract for next season. Throwing them into the fire over the final two months would make perfect sense if not for some of the realities facing Bowles & Co.

"You're kind of looking at short term and long term at the same time," Maccagnan said. "I don't necessarily think you're locked into just saying, 'Okay, let's just go with the young guy and see what happens.' At some point in time, we may decide to do that. You do want to set your players up for potential for success, too. It's obviously a very difficult position to play."

It becomes more difficult when players in your locker room aren't on board with the decision.

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

You hate Todd Bowles?  Even though he makes the team run gassers? 

Thats gonna fix everything!

43 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Then bench them too, stop letting the inmates run the asylum and start changing the attitude around this organization.

It's Mehta, so I don't know if it is true.

If it is, and Bowles is reacting this way, then he is not a leader, and should not be a head coach.

I think this is a team effort.

Macc has drafted 2 QBs, who, at years 1.5 and .5, are not anywhere near being able to play.

The responsibility for that lies ultimately with both the coach(ing staff) and the GM.   The comment about not fixing any of Hack's fundamentals to the off season was partcularly telling.  If the Jets were serious about developing QBs, they should have invested in another Developmental QB Coach.

I am less worked up than many on the board about seeing what Petty has.  Other teams have rolled out new QBs who learned from practice and they did fine.  Don't know how much it helps to make someone really unprepared learn by fire.  The last thing I want to happen is for Petty to get hurt and not be able to start his training in January and otherwise practice now.  Let Fitz get crippled in this mess.

But CBA or not, I would expect that after the end of the season and perhaps a week's vacation, CBA or not both Petty and Hack should be at the Complex working, practicing, training and learning.  The young WRs should be there with them.  

Newsflash: The most influential, and expensive, players on that defense quit before the season started. Any other influential veteran that isn't a Fitz taint-licker quit by week 6, after seeing Fitz put back out there over-and-over. The only guys left who would "quit" are the ones prioritizing "being friends with Fitz" over the greater good of the football team.

So, **** them.

And **** Bowles for being such a players coach that this is even a thing. It's his damn job to do what's best for this organization, and if motivation waivers, to reinvigorate it. That doesn't mean catering to the whims of the locker room. It means making hard decisions. Then rallying the locker room to get behind the decision, not usurp it. 

**** this ******* team. **** 'em.

Pretty standard stuff.  Not getting the shock and awe fans are having with this standard idea.  

Putting Petty in says to all we're playing for next season.  The natural fear is that players don't feel the same and play the same as with all starters trying to win every game.  Pretty simple and natural thinking.  It's why he struggled with the idea before the season was lost.

Of course this universally held concept becomes another fire drill to this fanbase.  Another indicator that this is the worst organization in sports.  Pretty amazing reading some  of these posts ripping Bowles. 

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

Then bench them too, stop letting the inmates run the asylum and start changing the attitude around this organization.

If this is even remotely true, the very fact that Bowles would even entertain this as a possibility would be disturbing.  A HC's job is not to have the appproval or liking of the players but to get them to perform. 

Guess what their are things that they, the players, might not like!  So what!!

I still say Bowles must have at least one if not two more years but this nonsense is embarrassing. 

Good Grief!!!

44 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's mentally weak in all the same ways Rex was, but at least Rex was comical. Bowles is just meh. Really meh.

34 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Eye witnesses in practice believe Petty is still so far behind Fitzpatrick and that Bowles would lose credibility with his players if he went with the inferior signal caller with six games left in the season.

Ryan Fitzpatrick cannot throw a football anymore. Like, at all. 

Credibility? Ha! What a crock of sh*t.

34 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

"It's a more complicated decision than some people realize."

No, it isn't. 

You lead the team, you make the decisions. If people don't like it and stop trying, you make an example of them. **** this sh*t with catering to the emotions of football players. FOOTBALL. PLAYERS. EMO. ****.

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

"We also want to make sure we don't set a timetable in there to what he may eventually be," Maccagnan said. "Our goal is to develop him. If he can fulfill his potential, then, obviously, that's good for us."

Holding your breath on this one is not recommended. It could be a while.

**** this. I know this game... it's called milking it. Mac and Bowles are just career-extending based on the "promise" of the developing QB being "their guy", so they shouldn't be held accountable for anything that happens between now and the theoretical moment Hack finally takes a snap.

Rex pulled this career-extending busllhit here too. So did Bradway. 

All **** faces. All of them.

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Ummm....  I am pretty certain a handful have already quit.

Screw them.  This is about what is best for the franchise, not the concerns of a few overpaid vets.  If they don't like it, hit the road.  All of 'em.

Theres a whole lot more to this picture than just the veterans what kind of example does Bowles set towards the younger guys what type of person is he more importantly what kind of coach is he if this is his concern.  

The only fix is to fire Todd Bowles bring in a real head coach who will deal with all the problems and fix them no more experimental understudy wanna be head coaches. 

47 years and counting if it isn't GM'S its head coaches,or draft picks when and where does it end with this organization. 

Archived