Developing QB's

Esquire

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

I see that argument a lot but can't think of many QB's that became great with a change of scenery.   

Fitz.  He came here as a backup and immediately became our unquestioned starter.  Even inking a deal to make 12mil.

I can't think of many quarterbacks that went on to have it 'click'  and become an all pro. Rich Gannon is the only one really. But I can think of a couple who have has various degrees of "success"  depending on what constitute as success. Vinny T, Jake Plummer, Alex Smith, maybe Palmer? 

Petty has 1 1/2 real game experience. Can't write him off. Winston, Mariota needed time to develop. Not everybody is Dak. I think he has the potential to maybe be the starter for the Jets. And then there is Hack. He may surprise some people too. If the Jets go get somebody out there I would like to see Glennon 

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Petty has 1 1/2 real game experience. Can't write him off. Winston, Mariota needed time to develop. Not everybody is Dak. I think he has the potential to maybe be the starter for the Jets. And then there is Hack. He may surprise some people too. If the Jets go get somebody out there I would like to see Glennon 

Both of these guys were studs in their first seasons.

6 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Rich Gannon , Jim plunkett, and Steve Young

Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, Sam Bradford is, honestly, having a decent year (especially given the circumstances), Vinny T., etc.  Hell, Jay Cutler had some big time success in Chi-Town until he fell apart the last 2-3 years.

12 hours ago, Esquire said:

Why wouldn't I be surprised if Petty, Hackenburg, and even Geno move on to be serviceable for other organizations.  The Jets just do not develop quarterbacks.  It's obvious at this point.

They don't develop players Period STOP,.... But a lot of that stems from having a consistent base and leadership. The reason the ravens compete year in and out is because of the unbelievable player base and leadership they have built over the years... people come in and are expected to perform at a high level... we don't have that base and consistency. We keep changing leadership that blows up in our face year after year.

18 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

They don't develop players Period STOP,.... But a lot of that stems from having a consistent base and leadership. The reason the ravens compete year in and out is because of the unbelievable player base and leadership they have built over the years... people come in and are expected to perform at a high level... we don't have that base and consistency. We keep changing leadership that blows up in our face year after year.

That is the task Maccagnan has got to embrace and drive into Woody Johnson's stubborn mind. You have to build a base, and the Jets don't have one. Rex tried with slogans like Play like a Jet, but WTF does that mean? Last night was what I relate to play like a Jet. Last night was a typical play like a Jet night. Build the base and get rid of the deadwood, because this team has a lot of it.

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

That is the task Maccagnan has got to embrace and drive into Woody Johnson's stubborn mind. You have to build a base, and the Jets don't have one. Rex tried with slogans like Play like a Jet, but WTF does that mean? Last night was what I relate to play like a Jet. Last night was a typical play like a Jet night. Build the base and get rid of the deadwood, because this team has a lot of it.

That is not the GM... that is the coach and leaders of the players... Mac has nothing to do with that.

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Didn't work for Sanchez, getting bounced around league like a pinata .. He is almost on the practice squad for cowboys..

Things were going well for Sanchez until year three when Shottenheimer opened up the playbook for the third year starter. Unfortunately, Rex and Tanny got rid of Thomas Jones, Alan Fanaca, Braylon Edwards, Jericho Cotchery and several others including Sean Ellis. In their place came Plaxico Burress - straight out of prison - Derrick Mason who had lost whatever step he previously had and Shonn Green along with Vlad Ducasse and Wayne Hunter. Is it any WONDER Sanchez regressed? Rex should have been tarred and feathered for that. Then came Tim Tebow and the true big top circus.

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

That is not the GM... that is the coach and leaders of the players... Mac has nothing to do with that.

It is the GM's job to bring in players who play and can players who don't NOT the coach. The coach is the guy who sets the table, gets the guys prepared and makes a game plan. It IS the GM's job to build the base.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

It is the GM's job to bring in players who play and can players who don't NOT the coach. The coach is the guy who sets the table, gets the guys prepared and makes a game plan. It IS the GM's job to build the base.

Yes, I agree... bring in the right minded players and bring in leaders... I agree... but building way of life... a Jet identity is up to the coach... giving them something to stand behind...

12 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Brees was a stud in SD.   

You think so? He had one sort-of "stud" season against a super-cupcake schedule in 2004. All his good games came against the very worst pass defenses (or total defenses outright) that the NFL had to offer. In '05 he had just an ok season with fewer than 30 TDs and less than a 2:1 ratio. When he played better defenses on their schedule he was far from a stud.

However he became not just a stud, but an all-time great, in New Orleans. That further came without the security blanket of dumping off to LT like he had in SD. 

Schaub, Palmer, Kerry Collins, Hasselbeck, Steve Young, Cutler, Warner (had a bad couple of years in the middle of his career), Brunell, McNair, Kitna, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon.  For some it was just the opportunity or it took them a really long time to develop.

I truly dont believe in this theory of "developing" QB's.  You either have it, or you dont.  I think timing and situation have a ton to do with becoming a successful QB and it has very little to do with what some sh*t head veteran showing you the ropes or what QB coach you have.  System and weapons matter and some just get put into better situations than others.

You know how you develop QB's?  Let them play in the ******* game and figure it out from there.  There is no other way.  You either rise to the occasion, or you dont. 

You don't hire a Defensive coordinator for a head coach when you want to develop a young QB.  If they were serious about developing a young QB the whole franchise needs to be on the same page, draft the proper tools around them (like don't ignore the offensive line/receivers for years and just draft defensive linemen), and have an offensive "aware" head coach who will give the young QB the extra coaching needed.

Or the jets can continue to throw 2-4th round draft picks at the wall with head coaches that are oblivious to the offensive side of the ball and hope one sticks or has enough skill to overcome the handcap they will have dealing with this dysfunctional franchise.

7 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Petty played without a game plan tailored to him nor did he have any reps.  Dak has probably the best situation any rookie QB could have.  

6 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

You don't hire a Defensive coordinator for a head coach when you want to develop a young QB.  If they were serious about developing a young QB the whole franchise needs to be on the same page, draft the proper tools around them (like don't ignore the offensive line/receivers for years and just draft defensive linemen), and have an offensive "aware" head coach who will give the young QB the extra coaching needed.

Or the jets can continue to throw 2-4th round draft picks at the wall with head coaches that are oblivious to the offensive side of the ball and hope one sticks or has enough skill to overcome the handcap they will have dealing with this dysfunctional franchise.

The Head Coach reports to the owner, not the GM.  You literally cant be on the same page under that type of hierarchy. 

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Winston 58% 22TD 15 INT

Mariota 62% 16TD 10 INT

Not only are those okay numbers for two rookies that were put on absolutely horrendous teams, but if you actually watched the games you could tell that they were rising stars. Numbers don't tell the whole story.  Ever.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Not only are those okay numbers for two rookies that were put on absolutely horrendous teams, but if you actually watched the games you could tell that they were rising stars. Numbers don't tell the whole story.  Ever.

I agree with you to a point. They were OK numbers and they played well considering. I wouldn't say they were studs.They are both much better this season. The point I'm trying to make is that its hard to take a few games with our offense the way it is right now and make a final decision whether Petty could be the starter for next year. He's a development QB who probably needs a good season under his belt to gauge if he can be an NFL starting QB. Our O-line is shaky against good teams with good defenses. I think he has the tools to make it. But most people on this blog will be quick to judge and dump if he struggles the first few games.

Archived