Jets Working to Retain Clady?

JetNation

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This idea, that I'm seeing more and more on JN, that we cannot improve the roster because we don't have a QB yet is foolish. You don't know when you're going to find a QB, as the Cowboys found out this year, but you improve your odds of finding a QB that can thrive within your system IF you have capable complementary players in place.

It's not a 1 man game, as much as it may feel that way watching Brady every week. 

Why not throw Brent Qvale out there and see how bad it gets?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly no downside to this restructure right now, but ultimately pointless other than theoretically retaining his rights to put the squeeze on him at the last minute a la Tannenbaum/Clemens. Except the only reason that worked is Clemens wasn't starting (or even 2nd string). 

Clady was not good last year, and then he got hurt in his 8th start. I don't know where these new memories come from, of him having this solid season before going on IR. Not that Ijalana was so good himself, but it's also not like there was this dramatic drop off a cliff from Clady either. Both struggled, but Ijalana cost 1/10 of what Clady got paid. Clady was not 10x better.

Maccagnan needs to find a LT, and presumably he's going to try. I have to believe even he knows bringing back Clady at $10M is completely idiotic. I'd rather bring back Ijalana at a small fraction of that. He'll at least stay on the field, and yeah he'll probably struggle against anyone decent; but that trumps struggling to stay on the field, struggling when on it as well, and forking over $10M for the finger-crossing privilege. Neither is an actual asset for a new/young QB.

paying him many millions ≠ therefore he is good player

How do we really know if Clady performed decently the 1st 8 games? Fitz was garbage! He must have played pretty well on film or we wouldn't have even tried to keep him. You always need depth on the Oline. Macc will draft another Olineman in this upcoming draft, let's hope another team wants that #6 spot for us to move back. Best case scenario, we move back, get another 2nd & still get Cam Robinson in the 1st. That would be SWEET!

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How do we really know if Clady performed decently the 1st 8 games? Fitz was garbage! He must have played pretty well on film or we wouldn't have even tried to keep him. You always need depth on the Oline. Macc will draft another Olineman in this upcoming draft, let's hope another team wants that #6 spot for us to move back. Best case scenario, we move back, get another 2nd & still get Cam Robinson in the 1st. That would be SWEET!

Because we all have eyes? Clady was below average up until he was hurt. The drop off from him to Ijalana was very little. And Ijalana was bad too. Clady has a long list of injury issues and his 10 million could bring in 2-3 solid players. Should just cut him now but I understand the move. 

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Clady was decent my main concern is he's done.

We already blew our load on resigning Winters, coulda used that money to sign Whitworth to a two year deal.  We can't simply trade back at will we need a trade partner willing to give is a good deal which is why I say take Cam at 6 then

16 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Because we all have eyes? Clady was below average up until he was hurt. The drop off from him to Ijalana was very little. And Ijalana was bad too. Clady has a long list of injury issues and his 10 million could bring in 2-3 solid players. Should just cut him now but I understand the move. 

Clady was playing injured weeks until he finally shut it down

The Jets placed the starting left tackle on injured reserve Wednesday. Clady had been dealing with a shoulder problem all season and didn’t play in Sunday’s loss to the Dolphins.

“It got so bad to where it wasn’t getting any better with treatment and he was pretty much playing out there with one arm,” Bowles said of Clady. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-place-left-tackle-ryan-clady-ir-shoulder-injury-article-1.2866334

via nj.com

"It got so bad to where it wasn't getting any better with treatment," Bowles said of Clady's shoulder. "He was pretty much playing out there with one arm. It wasn't getting any better. He became weaker, as a matter of fact.

"He had a rotator cuff [injury] for a while. I know it was torn recently. I know he was playing with a sore shoulder. I don't know when it was torn exactly." 

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The Jets placed the starting left tackle on injured reserve Wednesday. Clady had been dealing with a shoulder problem all season and didn’t play in Sunday’s loss to the Dolphins.

“It got so bad to where it wasn’t getting any better with treatment and he was pretty much playing out there with one arm,” Bowles said of Clady. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-place-left-tackle-ryan-clady-ir-shoulder-injury-article-1.2866334

via nj.com

"It got so bad to where it wasn't getting any better with treatment," Bowles said of Clady's shoulder. "He was pretty much playing out there with one arm. It wasn't getting any better. He became weaker, as a matter of fact.

"He had a rotator cuff [injury] for a while. I know it was torn recently. I know he was playing with a sore shoulder. I don't know when it was torn exactly." 

Oh so he was knowingly bringing the team down. Great. 

56 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh so he was knowingly bringing the team down. Great. 

Oh shut up. Good gawd you bitch about everything. If he sat out you'd tell him man up and get out there.  

You bitched because you said he was sucking before going on IR. It's then pointed out how he was playing with a bum shoulder and you change your narrative to he's now hurting the team

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Oh shut up. Good gawd you bitch about everything. If he sat out you'd tell him man up and get out there.  

You bitched because you said he was sucking before going on IR. It's then pointed out how he was playing with a bum shoulder and you change your narrative to he's now hurting the team

Hook. Line. Sinker. 

22 hours ago, C Mart said:

via nj.com

Fortunately, Clady's an ironman who rarely gets hurt, so this definitely won't happen again next year

so if they cut him before the start of the season and resign him right after the season has started (1 day?) he would be paid on a game to game basis right?  that sounds like a plan to me or lower the base salary (2M) and turn the rest of the money (8M) into 500k game bonus checks

No, he'd have to miss the first game for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This idea, that I'm seeing more and more on JN, that we cannot improve the roster because we don't have a QB yet is foolish. You don't know when you're going to find a QB, as the Cowboys found out this year, but you improve your odds of finding a QB that can thrive within your system IF you have capable complementary players in place.
It's not a 1 man game, as much as it may feel that way watching Brady every week. 

So you mean to tell me they we shouldn't throw a young qb into the NFL with no offensive line and complain about how crappy he is until we run him, our coaching staff, and our front office out of town? What kind of jets fan are you?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

On 1/27/2017 at 9:13 AM, Integrity28 said:

See. I know we need a QB.  But I am not agonizing over that.  There are so fe good ones.  My sense that next season is lost has to do with the aptitude of our coach.  He really was not great last year---he had a great schedule and a journeyman QB who had a season in Paradise. But he did not display any great qulities as a coach or a game manager.  This year he regressed, regardless of the talent slippage.  And he lost control.  Next year is an I-don't fire-a-cach-after-two years decision, which to me is purely bogus, and lazy on the part  of our owner.  The real issue is, and has been all along, the command structure set up with the two hires.

On 1/27/2017 at 9:13 AM, Integrity28 said:

It's always a good practice to spend money on players that will be worthwhile for an extended period of time. The question is more for those players that are unlikely to be in the team's long-term plans. 

If a team - like the Jets - is looking to develop a young QB, I can get past a lot of "wasted" money on veterans on offense. Expensive veteran WRs, a bit overpriced OLmen, an older RB clearly past his prime (but who is a good receiver and blocker). If they all add up to extra targets, outlets, and protection for a developing QB, it's easy to rationalize. And to your point, if a QB does materialize in the draft or from the roster, we could be blind to it if the [2012 to 1st half of 2014] WRs/TEs are his targets, with has-been's & crap for OTs (plus a slow-developing drafted guard), and the likes of stonehands RBs like Shonn Greene or Chris Ivory are the checkdown outlets on early downs.

On offense, hey, sometimes when it doesn't work out I can get past it. Clady; Forte; CJ<1K; Marshall (beyond 1 year); and even that dopey trade for Percy Harvin; even bad moves can all be rationalized as a means to and end for directly aiding a young, developing QB. Too many of the other moves are harder to justify, and it's irrelevant if a bunch of headline-starved fans liked or hated the moves at the time.

What becomes more difficult to rationalize is doing those things only to hand the team off to a similarly dead-end (and bad) player at QB, after guaranteeing him the starting job before he was even re-signed. Or spending huge money and forgoing draft picks - and upgrades from others - for what was easily the league's most expensive secondary ever: 2 of them clearly past their primes (though paid like they were at their very best), and 2 others just not worth half the FA contracts given to them, paired with a top 20 pick safety that can't cover. That stuff is more difficult to swallow. Not only were they wastes of resources that could have been used towards younger veterans with a future, but they also box out reasonable chances for one's own draftees to see the field for 1-2 years. Then topping that off with drafting cheap/redundant positions early, and what you get is what we have now: after that 1-2 yr stopgap period is over for them, those expensive positions still weren't adequately replenished & developed from the draft.

It's self-defeating.

For 2017, it would be nice if Hack and Petty, if not a draft pick, could be given a chance to see what they have.  They will not be able to do that unless they have time to block.  

The way FA looks today, there may not be a FA LT available that would be better than a potentially healthy Clady for $10mm.

The way the draft looks TODAY, at 6, there may not be a LT who could step right in and play well enough to be better than Clady.

So Clady has them a bit over a barrel, and he is basically betting that he will be good enough through the pre-season for the Jets to be forced to pick up his contract.  Among other issues, I can see him getting hurt in week 1 and then have the Jets eat the contract resulting in the worst of both world.

Ijalana is also a FA.  I Clady makes it through the PS, I would offer him $6mm plus $250,000 for every game he starts.   That should put the incentives in the right place.

For Mangold, I am more comfortable going with Johnson and Dozier than paying him $9mm, but at a reduced salary he is good in the mix.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

For 2017, it would be nice if Hack and Petty, if not a draft pick, could be given a chance to see what they have.  They will not be able to do that unless they have time to block.  

The way FA looks today, there may not be a FA LT available that would be better than a potentially healthy Clady for $10mm.

The way the draft looks TODAY, at 6, there may not be a LT who could step right in and play well enough to be better than Clady.

So Clady has them a bit over a barrel, and he is basically betting that he will be good enough through the pre-season for the Jets to be forced to pick up his contract.  Among other issues, I can see him getting hurt in week 1 and then have the Jets eat the contract resulting in the worst of both world.

Ijalana is also a FA.  I Clady makes it through the PS, I would offer him $6mm plus $250,000 for every game he starts.   That should put the incentives in the right place.

For Mangold, I am more comfortable going with Johnson and Dozier than paying him $9mm, but at a reduced salary he is good in the mix.

Next year will be a lost year anyway. Pay Mangold whatever he wants and give that man a plaque behind the center field wall. Wait

On 1/29/2017 at 8:52 AM, dbatesman said:

Fortunately, Clady's an ironman who rarely gets hurt, so this definitely won't happen again next year

very painful injury.  it's takes a long time to heal.  if i'm not mistaken, the rotator cuff can actually be cut without too much loss of arm function but that's for ordinary people.  maybe not for olinemen or qb's. anyone, there's no need to do anything with him at the moment.  the jets should evaluate his injury and his desire to play before making their decision.

The deal with the Clady contract is really nothing as reported. The gist of it is that the Jets removed the option bonus payment in his contract to have more time to make a decision on Clady's future. The roster bonus that Clady had been due was an incentivized bonus which was negotiated out not to have more decision time but simply because it wasnt going to be earned. To earn it he needed something like 80 or 90% playtime in 2016 which clearly he didnt have. So no need to keep it in the structure, though it may have been replaced by a NLTBE for a similar threshold in 2017. It was never due in February, but the option was. That money as far as I know was not rolled into his P5. His salary will remain at $10M. 

What this does is buy the Jets time to make a decision since I dont believe anything is guaranteed in the option. They would lose their chance at a comp pick, but clady isnt worth much and its doubtful the Jets would be able to earn any comps this year given the sad state of the team and need for talent. The LT position is pretty much a mess league wide so they will likely look to drop his salary down in the next month or two.

On 1/31/2017 at 10:35 PM, jason423 said:

The deal with the Clady contract is really nothing as reported. The gist of it is that the Jets removed the option bonus payment in his contract to have more time to make a decision on Clady's future. The roster bonus that Clady had been due was an incentivized bonus which was negotiated out not to have more decision time but simply because it wasnt going to be earned. To earn it he needed something like 80 or 90% playtime in 2016 which clearly he didnt have. So no need to keep it in the structure, though it may have been replaced by a NLTBE for a similar threshold in 2017. It was never due in February, but the option was. That money as far as I know was not rolled into his P5. His salary will remain at $10M. 

What this does is buy the Jets time to make a decision since I dont believe anything is guaranteed in the option. They would lose their chance at a comp pick, but clady isnt worth much and its doubtful the Jets would be able to earn any comps this year given the sad state of the team and need for talent. The LT position is pretty much a mess league wide so they will likely look to drop his salary down in the next month or two.

Problem with salary drops is it usually comes with guarantees as a give-back. Sometimes the give-back is incentives, and sometimes the drop can still be more than the player would reasonably get as a FA. My main concern is that he gets guaranteed $3M as a give-back for dropping him to $8M.

Hopefully they successfully improve upon what Clady brings even when healthy; even more so since he's now so rarely healthy for long. Therefore they should want to continue to keep his 2017 guarantees at zero to give them every opportunity to replace him by the end of August with no cap penalty. 

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan Clady - T -  Jets

The Jets are working on a new deal for LT Ryan Clady.

Clady already delayed a $2.5 million roster bonus due this month. He’s currently owed a non-guaranteed $10 million salary. Clady missed seven games last year and nearly all of 2014 to season-ending injuries. He’s going to have to accept a pay cut to return.

Source: CBSSports.com 
Feb 10 - 6:04 PM

If they do negotiate a new deal, I hope it's with little to no guarantees.  I don't think it's such a bad idea of keeping him around this offseason for insurance purposes, which is why I was good to see them tossing away the roster bonus, but he also shouldn't in any way be locked into a starting job or even a roster spot.  Hopefully it's nothing but a straight paycut, but I have to imagine Clady and his agent will try to make a play for some sort of money up front.

Jets' anticipated roster purge could start with Ryan Clady

The New York Jets' first key personnel decision for 2017 will be made this week, and it involves left tackle Ryan Clady.

Clady, who finished the season on injured reserve (rotator cuff surgery), is due a $1 million roster bonus by Wednesday as part of the two-year, $17 million contract he signed last April at the time of his trade from the Denver Broncos. In addition to the bonus, the former Pro Bowl selection has a non-guaranteed salary of $10 million.

With a total cap charge of $10.5 million, Clady's contract is prohibitive for the cap-strapped Jets, who probably will release him by Wednesday to start what figures to be a tumultuous offseason.

Clady can avoid a pink slip by re-negotiating his contract. You might be asking, "Why should the Jets bother?" After all, Clady will be 31 in September and he's injury prone, having missed 37 of the last 64 games. He didn't play particularly well last season, although his supporters will note he was basically a one-armed tackle for a few games as he attempted to play through the torn rotator cuff.

But in a situation like this, the team has to look at the market and ask, "Is there a replacement out there?"

In this case, he'd be tough to replace because the left-tackle market stinks.

In free agency, the top left tackle is the Cincinnati BengalsAndrew Whitworth -- and he's 35 years old. In the draft, there are no studs worth the sixth pick. In his latest top 32, Todd McShay's highest-rated tackle is Ryan Ramczyk of Wisconsin -- and he's 15th on the list.

Now you can see why the Jets are interested in retaining Clady ... for the right price. You have to believe $6 million, what he earned last year, would do the trick.

In theory, the Jets could pay the $1 million roster bonus with the idea of trying to get him to accept a pay cut at a later date, but they'd lose most of their leverage. Clady could say no and walk away with his $1 million -- money for nothing.

It wouldn't be unprecedented. In 2013, the Jets paid a $1 million bonus to Darrelle Revis in early March and wound up trading him. He was allowed to keep Woody Johnson's money. In Clady's case, he'd be taking on risk because the left tackle jobs could be filled by then. He wouldn't be in a great bargaining position.

The Jets can always cut Clady to avoid paying the bonus, then try to re-sign him after he's had a chance to test his value on the market. This option is a real possibility.

If the Jets keep Clady, they still need a backup plan because of his durability issues. It would be wise to re-sign Ben Ijalana, a pending free agent.

Ijalana, who replaced the injured Clady after eight games, has starting experience at left and right tackle, and he's only 27. Those guys are hard to find, and Ijalana will command interest if the Jets let him get to market. He's a must-keep, especially if they cut Clady.

The smart plan: Keep Clady at a lower cap number, sign Ijalana, let him compete with Brandon Shell at right tackle and draft a left tackle in the second or third round, an heir apparent to Clady. That would protect the team's short- and long-term interests.

4616.jpg

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini believes the team will "probably" release LT Ryan Clady by Wednesday.

Clady is due a $1 million bonus on Wednesday. Clady is heading into his age-31 season and comes with a non-guaranteed $10 million salary after again finishing last season on I.R. with a torn rotator cuff. Clady's career has been marked by injuries. The Jets can't count on him to stay healthy.
Source: ESPN.com 
Feb 13 - 9:41 AM

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini believes the team will "probably" release LT Ryan Clady by Wednesday.

Clady is due a $1 million bonus on Wednesday. Clady is heading into his age-31 season and comes with a non-guaranteed $10 million salary after again finishing last season on I.R. with a torn rotator cuff. Clady's career has been marked by injuries. The Jets can't count on him to stay healthy.

Archived