Suck for Sam......OR who else

CanadaSteve

Just to give the board some different flavor.  We all know the suck for Sam campaign, but there are other QB's.  IF not Sam, and given we need to see another year of development from all these QB's, who else are you watching and thinking could be a solid 'Plan B' if Darnold does not fall to us:

Josh Rosen UCLA

Josh Allen WYOMING

Mason Rudolph OKLAHOMA STATE

Luke Falk WASHINGTON STATE

possible we miss out on all.  Bills and Cleveland have 2 1st round picks and the 49ers will be worse than us and possibly the bears, rams and jags

we need to have 2-4 wins to get 1st or 2nd pick and you know we will probably not do that

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Next years draft is also stocked much better as far as elite talent goes at WR, and OL.

Exactly. Some names to watch.  Arden Key, LSU, edge    Mike McGlinchey ND, OT       Calvin Ridley, Alabama and Christian Kirk, Texas A&M, WR.   Also, Sammy Watkins will probably be FA next year.

39 minutes ago, jbt said:

possible we miss out on all.  Bills and Cleveland have 2 1st round picks and the 49ers will be worse than us and possibly the bears, rams and jags

we need to have 2-4 wins to get 1st or 2nd pick and you know we will probably not do that

49ers and Rams play each other twice.  Jags play Rams, Browns, and 49ers.  So, someone has to win those games.  Bears play 49ers and Browns, and just traded up for a QB.  Bills get to play us, and remember, while we beat them last time, we did so without McCoy and Taylor.  I think they'll find wins.

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

49ers and Rams play each other twice.  Jags play Rams, Browns, and 49ers.  So, someone has to win those games.  Bears play 49ers and Browns, and just traded up for a QB.  Bills get to play us, and remember, while we beat them last time, we did so without McCoy and Taylor.  I think they'll find wins.

Both played first game we beat them, no? And at their place.

I think we'll end up with a top 3 pick. And with our roster a real legitimate chance at the #1 pick.

Right now Darnold is the guy, throwing motion be damned. 

It'll be interesting to see how all the prospects play this year, especially Rosen. He's coming off a shoulder injury, and a season where Darnold overtook his spot at top QB prospect.

Rosen will also be playing in a pro-style system this year with a new OC under Jim Mora. If he plays well in that system its gonna be close between him and Darnold.

Jarrett Stidham is a wildcard prospect to watch for. He just transferred to Auburn, has ideal size, arm strength, accuracy, and mobility. He can rise up the ranks quickly.

Josh Allen coming from a pro system is such a huge advantage, even coming from the smaller conference. He has Philip Rivers potential, with scrambling ability.

Mason Rudolph has infinite potential, but hes an air raid guy throwing in that conference so hes a question mark.

Falk, running Mike Leech's offense will have teams questioning him, but he has all the physical tools plus accuracy. 

Lama Jackson, I want nothing to do with.

If we can't get Darnold I think I stay with my back up plan in this order:

Rosen, Rudolph, Allen, Falk, Stidham (who is still a mystery really).

And who knows who else will cone out of nowhere and ride up the boards, or who fall from this list. 

Also with a few good options in free agency (Cousins, Garropollo, and to a lesser degree McCarron, should be an interesting off season for qbs.

My guess / projection at QB needy teams next off season.

Browns. just drafted Kizer, which wouldn't/shouldn't preclude them from drafting one of the qbs next year. However, if they have another bad season their hc/gm will be on the hot seat and will need some wins in 2018. Enter Jimmy Garropollo in free agency.

49ers. I feel its already a foregone conclusion that Cousins will sign with Shanahan in SF next off season. But, Cousins may not want to go to a rebuild. So 50/50 there. 

Jaguars. Will probably cut bait with Bortles unless he had a big turnaround this year. He had a good year in 2015 and played hurt last year, so who knows. 

Rams. They spent a lot of capital on getting Jared Goff. But, new coach may need only 1 year to decide this guy isn't it, and move on. I think they'll be picking top 5 next year.

Redskins. If Cousins walks, they'll obviously need one. But, since he's playing this year for a big contract, I don't see them being bad enough for a top pick.

Cardinals. will need one for sure. But, I doubt they will be picking ahead of us.

Bills. I don't see them picking ahead of us. Peterman might be starting by the end of the year too.

In the end, theres about 4 teams besides us that I think will be close to getting a top 3 pick. With two good free agent options available next off season that should give us a reasonable shot at one of the top 3 qb's.

Of course every season will have a bunch of surprises that will turn the whole year on its head.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Rosen is apparently a headcase and Allen is basically Hackenberg, but against sh*ttier competition. Rudolph and Falk both seem fine.

Rosen isn't a head case, he is just very opinionated which can rub some GMs/Head Coaches the wrong way. Darnold is the one we want, but settling for a Rosen or whoever else emerges from this next season and the pre-draft process as the best prospect is fine with me.

Guys like Rosen/Darnold/Allen should all be capable of starting year 1. Compare that with the clowns drafted this year who need to learn for a year or have no arm strength (Watson). 

Guys like Falk/Rudolph are gifted but come from non-pro style offenses. 

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

With a loaded QB class next year some might choose to stay in school. I am not even thinking about Darnold until we have the first pick and he declares for the daft (and he dose not refuse to play for the Jets). 

Jets luck = us getting the top pick and Darnold staying in school. My mind woukd explode from the irony. 

But, if everyone here wants Darnold, you have to root for 2 things this year.

1. Jets secure the top spot.

2. USC wins the national title. From what I've read, Darnold was a huge USC fan before he ever played there and wants to bring a national title there and cement his usc legacy. If they dont win it. I can def see him staying in college another year.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Rosen is apparently a headcase and Allen is basically Hackenberg, but against sh*ttier competition. Rudolph and Falk both seem fine.

And apparently Sam is an underwhelming athlete who maybe will crack 50 mph. 

Going to be so fun when he's a project 2nd round pick this time next year. 

The real suck for is Jacob Eason.  I cant think of anything catchy for him though.   He's basically Matthew Stafford but bigger and more athletic. 

There are going to be some very disappointed people here when we are picking outside of the top 5 next year.  We won 5 games last year and one would assume that this years team which is younger and hungrier will win at least 5 games by accident.  Our defense will be better than projected if the dynamic duo of safeties are legit and will keep us in most games. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

There are going to be some very disappointed people here when we are picking outside of the top 5 next year.  We won 5 games last year and one would assume that this years team which is younger and hungrier will win at least 5 games by accident.  Our defense will be better than projected if the dynamic duo of safeties are legit and will keep us in most games. 

I'm in the same boat. I think the defense will play much better. I think the only chance this team wins less then 5 is that the QB play is absolutely garbage. 

I'm just hoping we lose games by a few points only. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Jets luck = us getting the top pick and Darnold staying in school. My mind woukd explode from the irony. 

But, if everyone here wants Darnold, you have to root for 2 things this year.

1. Jets secure the top spot.

2. USC wins the national title. From what I've read, Darnold was a huge USC fan before he ever played there and wants to bring a national title there and cement his usc legacy. If they dont win it. I can def see him staying in college another year.

Great points. I am not a die hard Darnold fan, I am just hoping we can get the QB that would be the right fit for the NY Jets. I am still not 100% sold on Darnold as he just played one year, he may not declare, and that whole USC QB issue. He might become a star or he may not. I just hope we are in position to take the right QB, or one of our young guys shocks us all.

23 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Great points. I am not a die hard Darnold fan, I am just hoping we can get the QB that would be the right fit for the NY Jets. I am still not 100% sold on Darnold as he just played one year, he may not declare, and that whole USC QB issue. He might become a star or he may not. I just hope we are in position to take the right QB, or one of our young guys shocks us all.

I wanna take Darnold. I think he will be a superstar. We just have to hope he actually declares and we have the top pick. I just dont know if he'll actually declare next year.

So is this year going to be Bizarro jets land where every every gameday thread will be people moaning and bitching when the other team settles for Field Goals and goes 3 and out, meanwhile the Jets look just good enough to get 5 wins?

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets offense will be truly awful which will offset any of the gains from the defense.

7 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Ha, this

I like Rudolph between the two because because.

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Rosen isn't a head case, he is just very opinionated which can rub some GMs/Head Coaches the wrong way. Darnold is the one we want, but settling for a Rosen or whoever else emerges from this next season and the pre-draft process as the best prospect is fine with me.

Guys like Rosen/Darnold/Allen should all be capable of starting year 1. Compare that with the clowns drafted this year who need to learn for a year or have no arm strength (Watson). 

Guys like Falk/Rudolph are gifted but come from non-pro style offenses. 

I don't think Rosen is a head case, i also don't think he's particularly politically involved.  Mostly I think he's entitled (from a rich family) and very immature.  He's been in trouble for a few minor, but childish incidents.  One was he and some other guys rearranged someone's lawn furniture to look like a penis I believe, and another one was he went on twitter with a picture of a co-ed, and himself in a hot tub in his dorm room.

No big deal, silly kid stuff. 

8 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Just to give the board some different flavor.  We all know the suck for Sam campaign, but there are other QB's.  IF not Sam, and given we need to see another year of development from all these QB's, who else are you watching and thinking could be a solid 'Plan B' if Darnold does not fall to us:

Josh Rosen UCLA

Josh Allen WYOMING

Mason Rudolph OKLAHOMA STATE

Luke Falk WASHINGTON STATE

Though not in the same conversation as the rest as of today but maybe one of these guys could step up and have a Trubisky type of climb

Just to add to that list :

Mike White WESTERN KENTUCKY

Baker Mayfield OKLAHOMA

Logan Woodside TOLEDO

Jake Browning WASHINGTON

Justin Herbert OREGON (probably not next year though)

Quinton Flowers SOUTH FLORIDA

J.T. Barrett OHIO STATE

Christian Chapman SAN DIEGO STATE

Lamar Jackson LOUISVILLE

Wilton Speight MICHIGAN

Nick Fitzgerald MISSISSIPPI STATE

Austin Allen ARKANSAS

Jarrett Stidham AUBURN

Chase Litton MARSHALL

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Though not in the same conversation as the rest as of today but maybe one of these guys could step up and have a Trubisky type of climb

Just to add to that list :

Mike White WESTERN KENTUCKY

Baker Mayfield OKLAHOMA

Logan Woodside TOLEDO

Jake Browning WASHINGTON

Justin Herbert OREGON (probably not next year though)

Quinton Flowers SOUTH FLORIDA

J.T. Barrett OHIO STATE

Christian Chapman SAN DIEGO STATE

Lamar Jackson LOUISVILLE

Wilton Speight MICHIGAN

Nick Fitzgerald MISSISSIPPI STATE

Austin Allen ARKANSAS

Jarrett Stidham AUBURN

Chase Litton MARSHALL

Just imagine how the board would light up if we picked Fitzgerald from Mississippi!  If he were given #14 at least the five people who own Fitz jerseys would be happy.

10 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I wouldn't count on it. The other teams that picked ahead of us have improved and were nowhere as bad as we were. Bears have dramatically improved with Glennon. Browns have added some nice young talent and are maturing nicely. Osweiler isn't a total loser and will play with a chip on his shoulder. The Rams have a very good defense. A tad of offense will go a long way. Goff will play better with a year under his belt and under a new coach.  Jags have a new head coach who is no nonsense.  He was killin it in Buffalo.  Jags will play 500 or better. The Niners well the Niners and Jets really suck and will fight it out for the top pick. But Cousins will be going to SF. No doubt. SF didn't draft one of the top QB 's when they easily could have. Hmmmmmm. Oh and The Jets.....An over the hill QB, A rookie, a 2nd year rookie, a lousy OL, a lousy DL that cant sac a QB, cb's who are inexperienced and injury prone, LB's that cant cover a pot, special teams that graduated from special education, a running game lacking a power bac, a breakaway back and a back long, long in the tooth. Wr's who are pups.  Safties that haven't played a down in the NFL. A rookie TE that is 'lazy' and doesn't like to block. Have I missed anything? Oh yea, a lousy coach who's just terrible at his job.  Party next draft. I'll bring the guacamole.

Darnold- Pretty Obvious, I think enough people have jerked off to him here than pretty much everyone is familiar with him.

Rosen-  Tools and pedigree stuff, everyone loves his potential, pretty sure everyone loves him.

Allen- I haven't really done much research on him, but there were a few mentioning him as the possible top pick in this year's QB crop.  Frankly, I was a bit surprised he returned to school.  All the tools and such, although inferior competition.  He's one that bears watching during the year.  

Jake Browning-  I loved his game, before he ended on a dud.  His arm isn't as strong as any of these guys, but I love his accuracy and command of that offense.  He loses Ross from last year, so I would like to see him this year and how he adjusts.  Having watched a few of his games, I love how he distributes the ball to many receivers.  He did get injured at the end of the year, which led to a decline in his stats.  

Lamar Jackson- Has every tool in spades, but it's really the system and his reads that hold him back.  His accuracy is a big issue, but his completion percentage is very similar to Vick during college.   If he can improve his accuracy, I think he's a top 5 lock because of the success of Mariota in the league (Mariota is way more accurate).  

Brett Rypien- I love his arm, he is undersized but he has a rocket arm and has performed well at Boise.  I'm not sure he comes out because there is a chance that his draft grade isn't as high because of his size.  However, love the arm talent.  

I would say if all of them come out, you have 6 guys that could go in the first round.  I'm sure 1 or 2 will fall off the map (much like say Kaaya did this year) and someone else will also emerge out of nowhere (like Tribusky) but I think it's a LOADED class.  

Darnold/Rosen are pretty much can't miss at this point IMO.  Jackson is extremely interesting to me because he's a great QB for a spread system.  He's never going to be super accurate, but he has the arm to be good enough and the athleticism to scare every defense.  

18 hours ago, jbt said:

Cleveland got their franchise QB this year. They won't need to draft another one. 

Archived