johnnysd

A+ for Hack, seriously what else could we hope for?

JoJoTownsell1    2,376

This was not an A performance, but it was about as good as you could have expected. If not for a holding and a couple of key drops he could have easily had a scoring drive. The coaching staff clearly had a mission for this game which was for Hack to go for the high percentage passes and not try to force things to get a meaningless TD. I expect they will slowly open things up for him as the preseason goes on. Either way, if he is just a game manager in his first few games, that is more than acceptable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Jet Nut    4,560
1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

What more can we ask for? More than 5 YPA and not staring down receivers

He wasnt staring down receivers.  He had more than a few one read plays, doesnt make it a stare down 

• Upvote 2

Warfish    16,601

It was far better than many expected, but clearly an "A+" is a tad bit hyperbole for a QB who played almost three full quarters and led no long drives and scored no points, not even a decent-length FG try.

That's not criticism, but the hype should remain in low-gear as yet.  Take last night at the huge positive step it was, lets not blow it up with phrases like "top 5 arm in NFL" or the like.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Charlie Brown    3,540
11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This was not an A performance, but it was about as good as you could have expected. If not for a holding and a couple of key drops he could have easily had a scoring drive. The coaching staff clearly had a mission for this game which was for Hack to go for the high percentage passes and not try to force things to get a meaningless TD. I expect they will slowly open things up for him as the preseason goes on. Either way, if he is just a game manager in his first few games, that is more than acceptable. 

Thank you...

And that modest mission was an important one, since everyone including fans out here and reporters have been saying that Hack is and was INACCURATE (he can't throw a ball in the ocean , Penn State sucking etc.) and now he has had a game (in real game action), in which he had over 70% completions with significant and telling drops and folks still criticize him.

Ummmm nuts...

There is plenty to critique concerning Hack, but the fact that he has improved and he obviously did what the coaches wanted, in a new offense, is not one of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

joewilly12    1,504

Jets quarterback competition looking just how they planned it

August 13, 2017 | 12:23am

Josh McCown shouts out directions from the line Saturday during the Jets' 7-3 win over the Titans in their first preseason game.Getty Images

MORE FROM:

GEORGE WILLIS

Thanks to one play Saturday night at MetLife Stadium, the Jets quarterback competition is shaping up just the way they want it. Thanks to one play Josh McCown is still the front-runner to be the starter in the season opener with Christian Hackenberg looking like a reliable backup.

If you’re thinking about the Jets’ short-term survival and long-term possibilities, that is the way you want this training camp competition to end up. McCown might not be the Jets’ quarterback of the future, but based on one play in Saturday night’s 7-3 preseason win over the Titans he is the best choice for right now.

The play came on the Jets’ first offensive series of the game, when both teams had their starters on the field and were eager for some competition after spending the first two weeks of training camp hitting teammates.

On the fifth play, a second-and-11 from the Jets 45, McCown dropped back for his second pass of the drive. Robby Anderson, the speedy second-year receiver from Temple, had lined up wide right. He already was at full speed, racing down the field past Titans cornerback Logan Ryan and safety Kevin Byard by the time McCown threw his rainbow.

ADVERTISING

McCown lofted a high tight spiral that Anderson caught in stride just over his right shoulder. The gain would be 53 yards, giving the Jets a first down at the Tennessee 2. 

“It was a great throw,” Anderson said. “I just ran straight up the field and Josh put it on the money.”

SEE ALSO

Three plays later, the Jets scored their only touchdown of the game on a 4-yard TD pass from McCown to second-year receiver Charone Peake.

For those wondering how the Jets were going to score touchdowns this year, that is how: Throw it deep to Anderson and hope for the best. 

“Speed is a premium in this league and he has it in droves,” McCown said of Anderson. “He can really roll. When you have that kind of speed, the sky’s the limit.”

The eight-play 78-yard scoring drive was McCown’s only series of the night, another indication the Jets see him as the starter. He completed just three of four passes overall for 72 yards and the touchdown for a hefty quarterback rating of 156.2. The remainder of the first half and deep into the third quarter belonged to Christian Hackenberg, who was taking his first real steps toward proving he can manage an NFL offense.

All eyes were on Hackenberg, who in his second-year needs to prove he is worth the investment to be groomed as a starter. Though it was bombs away when McCown was in, the playcalling was much more conservative with Hackenberg running the offense.

The Jets ran the ball more than they threw it, perhaps wanting to get a good look at running backs Romar Morris and Elijah McGuire. When Hackenberg did throw it, the passes were usually low risk. One of his few deep throws sailed well over the head of Frankie Hammond late in the second quarter. Another deep toss to Hammond in the third quarter easily was defended.

Modal Triggerchristian_hackenberg2.jpg?quality=90&str
Christian Hackenberg throws a pass Saturday.Getty Images

Hackenberg would finish 18-of-25 for 127 yards before giving way to Bryce Petty late in the third quarter. There were plenty of things to like about Hackenberg. He stood tall in the pocket and didn’t show happy feet. He had command of the huddle and didn’t panic under pressure. There was one glaring mistake.: a fumbled snap from center late in the third quarter ruined a promising drive. Otherwise, it was a decent start with plenty of room for growth. Hackenberg still needs to improve every game, every practice, and every rep.

That is why McCown is the proper choice to be the starting quarterback for the season opener. The 15-year veteran gives the Jets the best chance to win, the best chance to connect with Anderson on the kind of big play that can change momentum and win games.

As much as the Jets tried to establish a running game Saturday night, they will need their share of big plays to score points. McCown-to-Anderson gives them the best chance to do so.

TuscanyTile2    1,634
9 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I will give Hack a strong C, Petty disappointed but was playing with a scrub o-line.  Still should have drafted Watson.

We should've drafted Watson at 6?

Btw, I saw neither the Jets nor the Texans preseason games.

Jetster    2,780

You guys do realize Hackenberg with some backups & Morris and Todman at RB right? Lol. Bit different than Powell & Forte if they were healthy. McGuire looked real good & made some nice yards for McCown on some bounce outs beating the defenders to the edges. He could be our Leon Washington.

Larz    59,404

I give it a B

I really liked the fact there were no "deer in the headlights" moments, and he scrambled away from a sack and has a really strong arm and was generally acccurate.

I didn't like the wasted timeouts, and 2 throws lead the target into trouble, in a real game probably would have been huge hits.

It was pretty obvious to me the game plan was to get him a ton of completions just to get a good feeling, too bad they never got into scoring range.  Seemed like all night he started at the 20.

JetFaninMI    434

You have to walk before you can fly. Hack looked decent. Much better than the last time on the field. What needs to happen is improvement next time out and so on. McCown made a decent throw on the long play and they moved the ball well. All in all it was better than I thought it would be. You can't expect much the first time out and I look forward to them stretching out the offense in Detroit. Can't wait to go and see some live football! Football is back baby!

Rangers9    888

You give him most of the snaps this pre-season and the starts. He needs the work and at the same time you don't want to overexpose McCown and get him injured. If Hack does play this  season it will be with a reduced playbook which isn't a knock on him but usually the case with a young starter. They did it with Mark Sanchez. And it worked. Just because he ran the offense satisfactorily last night without making too many mistakes isn't enough. You have to do more than that. So you hope in the next three games we see him showing the ability to move the offense. He's been here long enough to expect that kind of progress. I give him an Incomplete for last night. 

56mehl56    1,142
4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

While I favor playing Hackenberg, you can't disparage McCown's performance last night, 1 drive resulting in a TD.  Lets see how the preseason progresses.

Not that I'm trying to put down McCown but he was aided by a very ticky tack roughing the passer call which would have ended the 1st drive. 

BigRy56    2,216

If Hack was a rookie, we'd be ecstatic with what we saw last night.

Last year was a throwaway year - he was purely learning and was never going to play. This might as well be Hack's first year and he played well in his first preseason game.

• Upvote 1

56mehl56    1,142
2 hours ago, InstantClassic said:

To me..Hack seemed to rush his throws most of his time on the field..I never felt he had a clean pocket to step into a big throw. Maybe that was the plan though..just have him get the ball out quick.

That is the essence of a WCO . Get the ball out quick with slants/outs and then open up the downfield throws when the db's start cheating up.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

This was a B. C is too low, A is too high.

He looked good but it was very conservative. No interceptions was a good first step. Some drops hurt him, the botched snap killed the last drive.

Good first step, next week he needs to get in the end zone.

B from me.  The key is going to be is he going to improve with more time and with a broader playbook. 

Joejet    400

I think any of the C+ to B grades are accurate.  What I took from the game is that I think we can safely put the not being able to hit the ocean bs to bed.  He looked poised and hit every one of his targets except for a couple of throw always deep that were tightly covered and the one ball that was tipped.  Is he a finished product?  Not even close.  He has shown that he has a very strong arm that won't have any problem making all the throws.  I was most impressed by his short accuracy which is what we've heard he couldn't do.  Step 1 of many steps accomplished, on to step 2.

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You give him most of the snaps this pre-season and the starts. He needs the work and at the same time you don't want to overexpose McCown and get him injured. If Hack does play this  season it will be with a reduced playbook which isn't a knock on him but usually the case with a young starter. They did it with Mark Sanchez. And it worked. Just because he ran the offense satisfactorily last night without making too many mistakes isn't enough. You have to do more than that. So you hope in the next three games we see him showing the ability to move the offense. He's been here long enough to expect that kind of progress. I give him an Incomplete for last night. 

Sanchez had the benefit of a strong running game, you remember ground and pound.  I hope the OL can step up in that regard this season.

• Upvote 1

JoeC36    64,187
4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

He didn't suck. Don't grade pre-season. It's all inconclusive. You all thought Brett Ratliff was the second coming of Joe Willie

I still believe that. Teams aren't smart enough to give him a shot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I will give Hack a strong C, Petty disappointed but was playing with a scrub o-line.  Still should have drafted Watson.

Yeah and Dalvin Cook in the second, so that Hackenberg would never have developed and we couldn't stop anyone with our defense.  Defense was a priority this year and based on last night they did pretty well. 

Rangers9    888
28 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Sanchez had the benefit of a strong running game however, you remember ground and pound.  I hope the OL can step up in that regard this season.

We have a pretty good running game with Forte and Bilal if healthy and they are both good receivers. No ground and pound but that could be the job of the third Rb. Hack didn't have them last night and it will be interesting to see if he can use it. As for the original poster earlier saying that Hack was a lot better than McCown last night I don't know what game he was watching. That's what he wanted to believe but McCown looked sharp and averaged 18.1 per reception and Hack averaged 5.1. And McCown threw a bomb. Which says a lot. He can throw long. There is no comparison. But we'll see over the next month what he can do. 

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We have a pretty good running game with Forte and Bilal if healthy and they are both good receivers. No ground and pound but that could be the job of the third Rb. Hack didn't have them last night and it will be interesting to see if he can use it. As for the original poster earlier saying that Hack was a lot better than McCown last night I don't know what game he was watching. That's what he wanted to believe but McCown looked sharp and averaged 18.1 per reception and Hack averaged 5.1. And McCown threw a bomb. Which says a lot. He can throw long. There is no comparison. But we'll see over the next month what he can do. 

I think we can be fine with Forte, Powell, but it's not just about them, we have a revamped OL with a bunch of newbies, they're going to need to be effective in opening the holes. 

MaxAF    333

I'd give Hack a B. No run game didn't help him. Couple of key drops also didn't help. He looked good for Preseason game one. Defense looks great. Mariota didn't score nor did the Titans score a TD all game. I would say with the young receivers and rotating O line he looked very good. Good game to build on. He definitely has NFL QB potential. He'll only get better. 

TuscanyTile2    1,634
10 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I'd give Hack a B. No run game didn't help him. Couple of key drops also didn't help. He looked good for Preseason game one. Defense looks great. Mariota didn't score nor did the Titans score a TD all game. I would say with the young receivers and rotating O line he looked very good. Good game to build on. He definitely has NFL QB potential. He'll only get better. 

I think you have to take pre-season with a grain of salt.  I didn't see the game but I would imagine our 1st team D didn't play much yesterday.  Also, I know they always put on vanilla defenses in preseason.  I guess we shut them out even with a vanilla defense but I just don't think preseason necessarily represents anything.  Then again, Dak Prescott was a standout last preseason and he went on to have a good regular season so I guess we shall see.

MaxAF    333
2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think you have to take pre-season with a grain of salt.  I didn't see the game but I would imagine our 1st team D didn't play much yesterday.  Also, I know they always put on vanilla defenses in preseason.  I guess we shut them out even with a vanilla defense but I just don't think preseason necessarily represents anything.  Then again, Dak Prescott was a standout last preseason and he went on to have a good regular season so I guess we shall see.

Agreed. I watched the Giant game and Hack already looked better than Geno. He seemed poised and looking pretty comfortable. Like him throwing the ball away when he had nothing. Smart QB-ing.

sirlancemehlot    31,900
7 hours ago, slats said:

If that's what happens, then the coaches are dumb. Job #1 this season has to be QB evaluation - for better or worse. 

But they've been evaluating. There's a reason that, after two training camps and a full season in the system, the coaches didn't let the kid throw anything down the field.  Nothing. He's the third best QB on this roster.  He's Matt Simms at a higher cost with a lesser pedigree. 

• Sad 1

TuscanyTile2    1,634
1 minute ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Holy crap someone actually mentioned Matt Simms before I did. Sorry for not reading the entire thread. 

Some of us have never left the Matt Simms bandwagon. :)

I'd probably give him a B-. He was "fine" which is far better than what I was expecting. That said, everything he threw was a quick slant, quick out, swing pass to the RB, etc. I think I saw him attempt 2 passes over 10 yards the whole game and neither was close to being complete. Bowles tried to excuse it as the defense "taking away" plays down the field but I strongly suspect they don't trust him pushing the ball down the field with his accuracy issues. Baby steps I guess.

Hael    127

Objectively, this is a C performance.  Which is encouraging bc I was expecting a D.

Watch the tape, every throw he makes, except one is a single read.  The good news is he was fairly accurate, other than three bad throws (one of which was caught anyway, the other which should have been picked off).  The bad news is he made multiple poor decisions on third down that stalled the drive.  There was one encouraging throw away which exhibited poise in the pocket and where he avoided a common rookie bait.

I think the coordinators did a good job of keeping things real simple for him, and allowing him to get some confidence, but unfortunately it's not going to be anywhere near that simple when defenses game plan for the west coast offense.  His best throw was a double read that hit a receiver streaking to the sidelines, and that sort of thing he'll have to do a lot of this year.