A+ for Hack, seriously what else could we hope for?

JohnnyLV

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's like some of you want him to fail. If he leads a FG drive but finishes 7-22 with 2 ints then he will get an F grade. It's all relative.  

It is funny to see the SOJF's talking points change overnight. First you guys were saying "LOL this clown can't even complete the most basic passes in practice. " But when he throws near perfect passes on every "basic" pass on Saturday you switch to "lol, he didn't even lead the team to a Fg drive"...completely ignoring the drops that killed scoring drives. If Marshall catches that perfect pass the Jets would have had a first down (or close to it) near the 30 yard line. But you guys have been brainwashed by the Manish's of the world to think Hack has no chance and it's not even worth rooting for him to succeed. I get it. 

Grade of A+ for not scoring any points.  My post was strictly due to the outrageous grading of his performance.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, BigO said:

Practice? Really? Say that to the players faces that were cut after the game. Preseason is a time to show what you're made of not a time to practice. 

Actually good teams do use the preseason as practice, which is what the Jets did with Hackenberg.  You use all 12 quarters of the first 3 games to implement the concepts and generic play designs that you will use during the season.  I have zero issue with the throws they have Hack Saturday as that is step of this preseason and Im certain they will add more as he gets comfortable, its how you actually develop a QB rather then just throw them out there like we have done in the past.

On 8/13/2017 at 1:17 AM, johnnysd said:

I have to be honest, I can't really imagine a better first preseason game performance than what Hack did tonight. And I think he outplayed McClown who heaved a ball as far as he could and Anderson made a great adjustment, but otherwise looked exactly what he is: Fitz 3.0.

In tonights game Hack:

1. Showed good footwork

2. Showed good pocket awareness, and ability to scan field for open receiver which improved as game went along

3. Was VERY accurate. His throws were consistently almost perfect in placement and timing. Also, it wasn't as dink and dunky as it seemed as he effortlessly through a couple far hash to sideline outs and made them look like dump offs

4. Showed elite, explosive arm strength. Maybe Top 5 in the NFL

5. Had a very very fast release. Not Rodgers-esque but in the upper echelon of NFL QBs

6. Showed the ability to line people up at the line of scrimmage, so his knowledge of the playbook is coming along

7. Was let down by drive killing penalties and drops

8. Actually threw the ball away. Who was the last Jets QB to actually do that. Geno literally never understood the concept even as he was running towards out of bounds, Fitz would just throw a jump ball and hope, Sanchez would take a sack....I was really impressed with that

9. Looked poised and calm and like he belongs

Were there things he needs to work on?

Of course. He needs to:

1. Get in and out of the huddle better and faster

2. Recognize and decipher defensive looks better

3. Throw the ball down field to open up the running time

All of these things will come with experience. I thought he looked every bit as good as the other young QBs being highlighted in the preseason games.

What more could you ask, with the limited practice and system install in place at this time?

i wouldn't go far as giving him an a+ but he showed some good things and has certainly taken some of the wind out of the anti hack crowd.

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Grade of A+ for not scoring any points.  My post was strictly due to the outrageous grading of his performance.

It really all depends on how you choose to grade the player. If you are grading him based on how you would evaluate your standard "rookie" QB then a B is about right. If your grading him straight, based on how you want your starting QB to play he is closer to a C. If you are grading him compared to the reports you see from the media (can't complete passes/takes too many sacks/hit's reporters more often then receivers) then he deserves an A because he showed no issues with accuracy on a wide range of throws. 

Next step will be pushing the ball down the field. 

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i wouldn't go far as giving him an a+ but he showed some good things and has certainly taken some of the wind out of the anti hack crowd.

Heres why I gave him an A+.

Hack has ELITE skills that few others have in terms of arm strength, release quickness, intelligence, and pedogree

But the QB we saw last year was awful. Horrible footwork and fundamentals led to some horrific pre-season performances.

Yet a year later, he comes in to his first game and shows GOOD mechanics and footwork, not just improved but GOOD. That is amazing in just a year and points to his level of talent.

Top that off with great poise, good pocket awareness, and just overall competence, and we have the possibility of something really special because of those truly elite measureables he has. 

He is just way ahead of where it is even reasonable to expect him to be. He still has a lot to improve on, but the improvement he has already shown points to him continuing the trend.

And he would have led scoring drives a couple times if not for some drive killing penalties and the botched snap.

Just now, johnnysd said:

Hack has ELITE skills that few others have in terms of arm strength, release quickness, intelligence, and pedogree

But the QB we saw last year was awful. Horrible footwork and fundamentals led to some horrific pre-season performances.

Yet a year later, he comes in to his first game and shows GOOD mechanics and footwork, not just improved but GOOD. That is amazing in just a year and points to his level of talent.

Top that off with great poise, good pocket awareness, and just overall competence, and we have the possibility of something really special because of those truly elite measureables he has. 

He is just way ahead of where it is even reasonable to expect him to be. He still has a lot to improve on, but the improvement he has already shown points to him continuing the trend.

And he would have led scoring drives a couple times if not for some drive killing penalties and the botched snap.

fair enough.  i didn't watch the game but from some of the postings it looks like he did a really good job with the short game and showed some good pocket presence.  he also showed some enthusiasm.  he keeps up the progress he should definitely start week 1.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:19 AM, NYDreamer said:

The one pass that really stands out for me in a positive way  is the medium throw to Marquis.  It had zip and was placed only where the receiver could catch it.

Over the middle, I remember that one as well, really well done....

24 minutes ago, rangerous said:

fair enough.  i didn't watch the game but from some of the postings it looks like he did a really good job with the short game and showed some good pocket presence.  he also showed some enthusiasm.  he keeps up the progress he should definitely start week 1.

Outiside of the not scoring thing, I think he looked in general better than Sanchez and Geno already

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Totally agree and hope his great work ethic continues. He has to have worked really hard to improve that much since last August.

36 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It really all depends on how you choose to grade the player. If you are grading him based on how you would evaluate your standard "rookie" QB then a B is about right. If your grading him straight, based on how you want your starting QB to play he is closer to a C. If you are grading him compared to the reports you see from the media (can't complete passes/takes too many sacks/hit's reporters more often then receivers) then he deserves an A because he showed no issues with accuracy on a wide range of throws. 

Next step will be pushing the ball down the field. 

I wish you guys were my teachers in high school and college.

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

0 TDs, 1 Fumble Lost and pretty much nothing but check downs facing a soft D

Looks like an A+

serious question, are there any posters on this board that give two craps about what you think, about anything? Just asking.

21 hours ago, BCJet said:

Actually good teams do use the preseason as practice, which is what the Jets did with Hackenberg.  You use all 12 quarters of the first 3 games to implement the concepts and generic play designs that you will use during the season.  I have zero issue with the throws they have Hack Saturday as that is step of this preseason and Im certain they will add more as he gets comfortable, its how you actually develop a QB rather then just throw them out there like we have done in the past.

By your logic we should be doing the opposite of what you propose because we are far from being a 'good team'. We are barely in the fringe of being an expansion team.

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I wouldn't label Hack as being elite in any category just yet...but he showed he's not in the bottom 5 either so that's an improvement

I apologize in advance if this wasn't a serious post.  But if it is serious, you have lost your mind.  Right now I would put Hack as a bottom 5 QB in the entire league.  And that includes every QB in the league, 1st, 2nd, and third string.  And I'm serious.  There is nothing that he has done to prove otherwise.  

6 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I apologize in advance if this wasn't a serious post.  But if it is serious, you have lost your mind.  Right now I would put Hack as a bottom 5 QB in the entire league.  And that includes every QB in the league, 1st, 2nd, and third string.  And I'm serious.  There is nothing that he has done to prove otherwise.  

What? I've been told consistently by a special contingent on here that because he has sucked in the past that doesn't mean he'll suck in the future! Anything is possible when you wish upon a star.

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Bouncing around these preseason games on NFLN, it becomes really clear really fast that Hackenberg is worse than every QB2 in the league by a mile, and most of the QB3s too. Cannon-fodder guys like Brandon Allen and C.J. Beathard and Austin Davis are basically playing a different sport than he is. To borrow a @Matt39 line: if we put Hackenberg on the practice squad tomorrow, would anyone claim him?

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Bouncing around these preseason games on NFLN, it becomes really clear really fast that Hackenberg is worse than every QB2 in the league by a mile, and most of the QB3s too. Cannon-fodder guys like Brandon Allen and C.J. Beathard and Austin Davis are basically playing a different sport than he is. To borrow a @Matt39 line: if we put Hackenberg on the practice squad tomorrow, would anyone claim him?

Pats would, just for the lolz, then they'd cut him a few weeks into the season.

6 hours ago, sciond said:

Yep Hack is the franchise.....

doesn't say much for the franchise

I'd define it as a very deserved intersection. 

As a sports fan, we all realize that high turnover for personnel is a reality, but on a human level rarely do I celebrate a person losing their job. Well Mike MacCagnan will be the third Jet employee who's job termination I will celebrate with absolute glee (the other 2 being Kotite and the Fat Foot Fetishist).

DUDE REALLY TRIED TO SELL US THE NOTION THAT HACK IS AN NFL QB (a good bit of us here knew much better). BURN IN NFL HELL YOU F&%#ING FRAUD!

this will be a case of once again the fans know better-mac needs to go after this year and so does his coach

a rebuild is going on I  just dont want the guys building a house that do not know what nail looks like and has no tools

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

this will be a case of once again the fans know better-mac needs to go after this year and so does his coach

a rebuild is going on I  just dont want the guys building a house that do not know what nail looks like and has no tools

Sounds like the words of someone who doesn't know the difference between a real "rebuild" and what the Jets have been doing since 1997.

The real thing looks like the Raiders, Browns, Jaguars, Bills, and a dozen other teams who go 10, 15, sometimes 20 years without a winning season or playoff appearance.

What the Jets were doing was playing the free agent field brilliantly, keeping us competitive, having only 6 losing seasons in a 20 year span.

Perhaps what you want is Mike Tannenbaum back.  I know I do.  A "total rebuild" can also be code for a franchise "giving up".

SAR I

On 8/13/2017 at 1:17 AM, johnnysd said:

I have to be honest, I can't really imagine a better first preseason game performance than what Hack did tonight. And I think he outplayed McClown who heaved a ball as far as he could and Anderson made a great adjustment, but otherwise looked exactly what he is: Fitz 3.0.

In tonights game Hack:

1. Showed good footwork

2. Showed good pocket awareness, and ability to scan field for open receiver which improved as game went along

3. Was VERY accurate. His throws were consistently almost perfect in placement and timing. Also, it wasn't as dink and dunky as it seemed as he effortlessly through a couple far hash to sideline outs and made them look like dump offs

4. Showed elite, explosive arm strength. Maybe Top 5 in the NFL

5. Had a very very fast release. Not Rodgers-esque but in the upper echelon of NFL QBs

6. Showed the ability to line people up at the line of scrimmage, so his knowledge of the playbook is coming along

7. Was let down by drive killing penalties and drops

8. Actually threw the ball away. Who was the last Jets QB to actually do that. Geno literally never understood the concept even as he was running towards out of bounds, Fitz would just throw a jump ball and hope, Sanchez would take a sack....I was really impressed with that

9. Looked poised and calm and like he belongs

Were there things he needs to work on?

Of course. He needs to:

1. Get in and out of the huddle better and faster

2. Recognize and decipher defensive looks better

3. Throw the ball down field to open up the running time

All of these things will come with experience. I thought he looked every bit as good as the other young QBs being highlighted in the preseason games.

What more could you ask, with the limited practice and system install in place at this time?

What game were you watching? The first play of the game he failed to recognize a six man front and should have changed the blocking scheme but he didn't and got creamed. Also I saw passes sailing over the heads of WR's on sideline patterns when he wasn't under much of a rush. He looks good in his uniform and that's about it. I have seen several of the rookie QB's like Trubisky, Watson, Kiser and Mahomes ALL look far, far better than Hack and he has had a year to sit and learn. Pathetic. I only hope SOMEONE on the team's scouting staff can unearth a QB in the next draft. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

What game were you watching? The first play of the game he failed to recognize a six man front and should have changed the blocking scheme but he didn't and got creamed. Also I saw passes sailing over the heads of WR's on sideline patterns when he wasn't under much of a rush. He looks good in his uniform and that's about it. I have seen several of the rookie QB's like Trubisky, Watson, Kiser and Mahomes ALL look far, far better than Hack and he has had a year to sit and learn. Pathetic. I only hope SOMEONE on the team's scouting staff can unearth a QB in the next draft. 

Horsebleep. Maybe the sack was Hacks fault but most likely it was Powells. Hack looked every bit as good as those guys last week and looked bad this week, but if you don't think that that the OL was a huge part of that you just have your head in the sand. 

Archived