Blake Bortles

Lupz27

Rumors are swirling that Jags might outright cut him, they picked up his 5th year which is 19 million guaranteed for injury only so if he loses that job the Jags will not want to risk having to play him later in case of injury which would then kick in the 19 million guarantee for 2018, so the thinking is out right cut if he really lost his job.

Do you make a play for him?  Maybe Morton can rebuild him in the first quarter of the season then see if he refinds his upside?  Obviously it would be on a FA contract not the current contract he is on.

Would you have interest in him, and maybe dump McCown giving Bortles the Vet bridge job with an actual upside?

As replacement for McCown? No... McCown knows this type of offense, I'm not sure Bortles has as much experience. 

If the Jets signed him he would be as another project at QB, likely replacing Petty's roster spot. It'd be a gamble though.

23 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Bortles is not getting cut so forget this nonsense.

Cut Bortles and then start Henne ..................right.

In the QB starved NFL even guys like Bortles are very hard to come by.

$19,000,000 for a backup. It very well may happen.

Bortles choosing to come here?...If it happens then I'll really question his decision making skills. 

52 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Bortles is not getting cut so forget this nonsense.

Cut Bortles and then start Henne ..................right.

In the QB starved NFL even guys like Bortles are very hard to come by.

Bortles had his 5th year option picked up, meaning his 2018 salary of $18+ million is guaranteed for injury, not skill.  That means that if he is healthy and the Jags dont want him they can release him with no dead money prior to the 2018 season.  However, if Bortles gets hurt while wearing a Jags uniform during the 2017 season, his 2018 salary could become guaranteed, making a bad situation into a complete disaster.

That being said, there is no point having him here.  He needs as much work as Hack does from a mechanics standpoint and doesnt seem to have the drive to want to be a good NFL QB.  He can likely make millions as a backup, and go do something else.  Hes not what we need here.

So a contingent of the fan base believes that Hack has a chance to be an NFL QB despite zero evidence pointing to that. And now a question of adding an AWFUL QB to a room full of AWFUL QBs, I guess because, like, "upside 'n stuff."

Makes you realize Jet fans wholeheartedly deserve the horse crap & pony dung show that this organization has given us at the QB position since 2009. From Sanchez to Hack & all rotten points in between, we've made excuses for, rooted for, and pinned hopeless hopes on hopeless bums because let's be real, the good ones have already been taken home by midnight... We settle for the 2am "last call" special and have to continuously fool ourselves that the 4 we're taking home is at least an 8.

Then you wake up to a suggestion of voluntarily adding yet another 2am last call special to the worst stable a man can assemble. If this were the repeated actions of your drinking buddy, at some point you're gonna wonder if he's just a victim of circumstance, or does my boy just prefer to go home with the last call mud-ducks because his taste is just that bad?

Another reclamation project whose confidence is shattered?  It has worked out so well thus far for the one the Jets already have... :rolleyes:

Bortles should go to a team with an established starter, on a heavily reduced salary, and be a backup.

The fact that we are debating a guy like Blake Bortles just shows how QB starved we have become.  He is bottom 5 in the league in most statistical categories.  Led the league in interceptions in 2015.  And that is with weapons like Allen Robinson and Allen Hurns.  Yet, he is still probably better than anything we have now.  Only reason to sign him is so he doesn't play against us week 4 and potentially screw up the tank.

I think we need to set the bar a bit higher than Blake Bortles.  

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Bortles would have more upside on this team and might be able to help the rookie next year 

What? Based of what? 

Wide receicers - Jacksonville. 

Running backs - Jacksonville 

Offensive line - Jacksonville 

Besides, Blake Bortles is one of the worst QBs in the league today. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Bortles had his 5th year option picked up, meaning his 2018 salary of $18+ million is guaranteed for injury, not skill.  That means that if he is healthy and the Jags dont want him they can release him with no dead money prior to the 2018 season.  However, if Bortles gets hurt while wearing a Jags uniform during the 2017 season, his 2018 salary could become guaranteed, making a bad situation into a complete disaster.

That being said, there is no point having him here.  He needs as much work as Hack does from a mechanics standpoint and doesnt seem to have the drive to want to be a good NFL QB.  He can likely make millions as a backup, and go do something else.  Hes not what we need here.

You may be correct about him, BUT we have seen guys like Steve Young look bad in a poor situation, and with a change of scenery have it all click, the only problem with my what if is I can't see the NY Jets being the place for a QB to blossom lol.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

but would still probably be the best on the Jets roster, but paying 19 mill for him?

Why? You're still looking for a QB with him on the roster.

No if he gets cut nobody is picking him up under that contract, when he clears waivers he becomes a FA, and then you sign him to a different contract that in no way guarantees him 19 million for playing,or injury.

11 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Signing Bortles in an effort to change him from chicken sh*t to chicken salad is a much better idea than waiting eight months and drafting Sam Darnold. Turtally.

I am with you on that assessment but the fear is the Jets wind up with a top 3 pick and go defense again.

11 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I am with you on that assessment but the fear is the Jets wind up with a top 3 pick and go defense again.

No the fear is the Jets end up with pick #2, or higher, and don't land Darnold the rest of the QB's next year are all a crap shoot IMO, and I'd take Mahomes over all of them except Darnold which the Jets stupidily passed on already.

Archived