**** TANKWATCH 2017 - THE HUNT FOR A QB ****

ZachEY

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN: Jets have best odds at landing the No. 1 pick in 2018

(Article Credit; Jets Wire  http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/21/espn-jets-have-best-odds-at-landing-the-no-1-pick-in-2018/  )

ESPN’s Football Power Index calculated which NFL teams had the best chance to get the first overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

A handful of the league’s 0-2 teams were close, but the Jets have the best odds by far right now.

At 40 percent, the Jets have the best chance for the time being to get the first overall pick in next year’s draft. They are followed by the 49ers (19 percent) and Colts (11 percent). The Browns and Bears are tied at 9 percent.

Despite having much higher of a chance than everyone else, it is still more likely than not that the Jets will not get the first overall pick, according to these numbers.

That scenario would make all of the suffering the Jets are going through now just about meaningless. That said, it’s a long season. Besides, with such a deep class of quarterbacks, the Jets would be just as happy with the second or third pick.

We don’t know if Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or any of the other top quarterbacks are the answer. That is the nature of the draft. Yet one of them looks destined to wear green and white.

With three winnable games coming up against the Dolphins, Jaguars and Browns, we’ll have to check back in on the odds in a few weeks.

1 minute ago, Gangrene said:

ESPN: Jets have best odds at landing the No. 1 pick in 2018

(Article Credit; Jets Wire  http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/21/espn-jets-have-best-odds-at-landing-the-no-1-pick-in-2018/  )

ESPN’s Football Power Index calculated which NFL teams had the best chance to get the first overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

A handful of the league’s 0-2 teams were close, but the Jets have the best odds by far right now.

At 40 percent, the Jets have the best chance for the time being to get the first overall pick in next year’s draft. They are followed by the 49ers (19 percent) and Colts (11 percent). The Browns and Bears are tied at 9 percent.

Despite having much higher of a chance than everyone else, it is still more likely than not that the Jets will not get the first overall pick, according to these numbers.

That scenario would make all of the suffering the Jets are going through now just about meaningless. That said, it’s a long season. Besides, with such a deep class of quarterbacks, the Jets would be just as happy with the second or third pick.

We don’t know if Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or any of the other top quarterbacks are the answer. That is the nature of the draft. Yet one of them looks destined to wear green and white.

With three winnable games coming up against the Dolphins, Jaguars and Browns, we’ll have to check back in on the odds in a few weeks.

DKGQVPRVAAEEOJj.jpg

Numbers are surprisingly high for the Jets today.  But, if we end up 0-5, I imagine they'll skyrocket to 70% or so.

40 minutes ago, gEYno said:

DKGQVPRVAAEEOJj.jpg

Numbers are surprisingly high for the Jets today.  But, if we end up 0-5, I imagine they'll skyrocket to 70% or so.

If we end up 0-5, losing to Jax and Cleveland during that time, I think we'd be around 90%.

If we win the next 3 games...our team will end up 5-11 and we'll be out of range (again) to draft a franchise quarterback. Todd Bowles will be retained. Josh McCown re-signed...I'm getting dizzy....

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

Define supporter? I'm a fan. Wouldn't take him in top 2-3 tho -- in other words he's not a target for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackson is a better version of tyrod taylor, i see him as a top 15 qb who can buy time with his legs to make throws downfield.  i wouldn't mind him on the jets if they don't get rosen or darnold.

5 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Totally agree, He reminds me a lot of Randall Cunningham, perhaps an inch maybe two shorter but he is a better runner than either Taylor or even Mariota in my opinion and his arm talent is off the scale. Lots of comparisons to michael Vick who was a consensus No 1 overall pick and people forget that prior to his fall from grace he was one of the elite QB's in the league. He needs to show this year he can get his completion percentage up over the 60% mark or it'll be Hackenberg 2.0 but as you say a better version of Tyrod Taylor is still way better than anything we've had in years. His height/weight at the combine will be interesting and losing to that Clemson side is no disgrace, the key will be how he bounces back from it.

Agree with you on the Cunningham comparison. I believe if the Jets are in top 5 they have to take a chance on another top QB. 1 of these guys will be available even at pick #5- Jackson/Allen/Fitzgerald/Mayfield.

Obviously I want either Darnold or Rosen (leaning towards Rosen love his moxie- guys throws a pick 6 & just comes back & tosses a TD) but Id be happy with a Cunningham clone like Lamar Jackson (would definitely be exciting) & Cunningham was criticized for being inaccurate. 

23 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Am I alone in being very skeptical of Darnold? I'm too lazy to read through, but the whole two year starter for a program that consistently produces softies really doesn't do it for me. 

Dear SenorG , hi !..please watch this video...  

thanx,..kelly ~ ~ 

:cool:

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Agree with you on the Cunningham comparison. I believe if the Jets are in top 5 they have to take a chance on another top QB. 1 of these guys will be available even at pick #5- Jackson/Allen/Fitzgerald/Mayfield.

Obviously I want either Darnold or Rosen (leaning towards Rosen love his moxie- guys throws a pick 6 & just comes back & tosses a TD) but Id be happy with a Cunningham clone like Lamar Jackson (would definitely be exciting) & Cunningham was criticized for being inaccurate. 

Same could be said for Darnold though after that Texas game. They both have that innate ability. That in particular is what makes this draft so unique. What other draft can you say that about since the 04' draft of Eli, Rivers and Big Ben? Really excited to suck lol.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Also a decent QB a stud RB some decent WR's something we lack. 

Oh for sure. I just meant from having a clueless coach in Fisher to now this. Also the decent WR's and TE's came from McVays influence. We'll see if they can keep it going though.

Goff looked horrible last year with Jeff Fisher running the show. New OFFENSIVE coach, with some weapons on offense and now look.

We have our lesser version of Jeff Fisher, with nothing on offense. Can't imagine why Petty and Hackenberg still suck. 

We have to get an offensive head coach before we even dream of drafting a QB next year. 

gettyimages-848183890.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

BY:  Jason McIntyre     Sam Darnold is the best QB in college football. If he comes out, he will be the #1 pick in the draft. People will try to debate you on it, but don’t bite. It’ll be Sam Darnold. The only question is who will draft 1st. We’ll analyze the leaders each week: 

usatsi_10289630.jpg?w=560&h=374

NY Jets 0-2. Have the worst offensive skill position players in the NFL. The Bears are down there, but they have injuries and a good running back; the Browns are down there, but Isaiah Crowell or Duke Johnson would be the best player on the Jets offense. An 0-16 season in New York is seriously in play. They might give the Dolphins some fight for three quarters this week, though.

usatsi_102289671.jpg?w=560&h=374

49ers 0-3. Difficult team to get a read on after three games, but this much I feel confident in saying: No shot at .500, and six wins could be a stretch. The front seven has been a letdown so far, and they’re already 0-2 in perhaps the weakest division in the NFL.

Chicago 0-2. The Bears schedule is brutal: Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Minnesota, Baltimore and Carolina are next. So they’ll probably be 0-7 before we see 1st round pick Mitch Trubisky. The defense is solid, and I can possibly see wins over the Saints, Lions, 49ers, Bengals and Browns. The Bears are invested in Trubisky, but Darnold has much more upside. Unless you want to trade the #1 pick for a massive haul …

usatsi_9760164.jpg?w=560&h=411

Saints 0-2. With Drew Brees and Sean Payton, there’s just no way they can finish with a top five pick … right? The recent September woes have not carried over, and the Saints have finished 7-9 three years in a row. Just for fun: They’re 1-6 and a QB of a playoff team goes down. Could the Saints decide to tank and trade Brees and fire Payton?

Browns 0-2. Covered at home against the Steelers, and played the Ravens tough on the road and moved the ball well, but were done in by five turnovers. Deshone Kizer has been impressive at QB, and the defense hasn’t even had #1 pick Myles Garrett yet. Feels like maybe a 5-win team.

Chargers 0-2. Sneaky fear of mine – Philip Rivers goes down, and the Chargers make a run at 1-15. But the defense is probably too good for that bad a season.

Back to College FB for a moment.  Rosen still slightly above Darnold on my list but after watching Saquan Barkley's highlight reels from yesterday, I'm almost ready to say screw it and take that kid. He looks like the best RB I have ever seen at that level.  Check out a few from this page:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-winners-and-losers-from-week-4-penn-state-georgia-come-up-big/

Also, I would be remiss in not pointing out this play which would make Mark Sanchez so proud.  Fellow fans, I give you...the butt-catch:  https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/911682375758774272/video/1

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Back to College FB for a moment.  Rosen still slightly above Darnold on my list but after watching Saquan Barkley's highlight reels from yesterday, I'm almost ready to say screw it and take that kid. He looks like the best RB I have ever seen at that level.  Check out a few from this page:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-winners-and-losers-from-week-4-penn-state-georgia-come-up-big/

Also, I would be remiss in not pointing out this play which would make Mark Sanchez so proud.  Fellow fans, I give you...the butt-catch:  https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/911682375758774272/video/1

Bryce Love will be just as good. We can get our QB and save that space for Love when the time comes.

week 2.jpg

As someone pretty firmly invested in getting the #1 or #2 overall pick, this is not a Jets win I think any Jets fan should be terribly upset by.  If the Jets play well, and win, it's a good thing.  The wins I don't want to see are along the lines of a week 1 type performance but ultimately steals a win.  But, it's hard to feel upset, even if it hurts our draft position, but the team playing competent football.  On the other hand, 5-6 wins and I think Josh McCown is your 2018 opening day starter.

That said, the Jets got a lot of breaks this week, so this win won't "hurt" too bad in the hunt for a top pick:

Rams (2-1) over 49ers (0-3) - 49ers are in this for the long haul, but the Rams are probably out of the conversation, at least for now.

Jaguars (2-1) over Ravens - Jaguars may be out of the conversation at this point as well, though next week vs. Jets is huge.

Bills (2-1) over Broncos - Bills get their second win early, and a surprising one at that.  They probably aren't a concern.

Bears (1-2) over Steelers - Good to get the Bears on the board.  They also played the Falcons tight in week 1.

Colts (1-2) over Browns (0-3) - Browns will also be in this for the long haul, but good to see the Colts get a win.  Hopefully Luck returns and they take themselves out of the conversation.

Saints (1-2) over Panthers - I doubt a Drew Brees led team will stick around, but good to get them away from 0-3.

Current 0-3 Teams: Giants, Browns, Bengals, Chargers, Giants, 49ers

Week 4 Matchups to Watch:

Bengals at Browns - Someone gets win #1

Jacksonville at Jets - Jets going to 2-2 would make a top pick a longshot, Jacksonville winning would put and end to the talk about them

49ers at Cardinals - 49ers could pull off a win here, I think.

Giants at Bucs - Giants could get their 1st win here, I think.

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Bottom line is that if the Jets are going to pick #1, they need to lose the next 2 weeks. The Browns and 49ers are in it to win it (or lose it) this year. We need to drop the head up with the Browns if we want #1.

For the tanker crowd (me included) the next two weeks are basicslly the season. We win both, we are definitely our of top 2 pick conversation. We lose and we are right on schedule, 0-16 was never going to happen.

It was still good to see the team actually play well though. Its a fine line, wanting to tank, but also wanting to see a foundation being built up for future success. 

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

For the tanker crowd (me included) the next two weeks are basicslly the season. We win both, we are definitely our of top 2 pick conversation. We lose and we are right on schedule, 0-16 was never going to happen.

It was still good to see the team actually play well though. Its a fine line, wanting to tank, but also wanting to see a foundation being built up for future success. 

Yup.  Can't really complain if they look good.

I think they can beat the Browns and still be okay, but it'll be a tougher road.  If they beat Jax, it's over IMO

Archived