What-No Mention Of Madonna's Halftime Show?

kelticwizard

In previous years we analyzed The Who and Black Eyed Peas back and forth for pages.

Now Madonna has a halftime show, starts it off with Vogue, of all songs, and nobody says anything?

Are we losing our penchant for discussing music on this forum? Or have we decided that musically, she isn't worth discussing?

It wasnt bad. But I find the entire halftime entertainment thing to be stupid and a waste of time.

30 minutes for halftime? Bull crap.

Save all that money they spend on the crazy set design and donate that to charity.

We spend 6 hours listening to talking heads ramble on about the game coming up, then give them like 3 minutes to review the first half and give us insight for the 2nd half.

Its crap. Have frisbee dogs and flying lawnmowers next year. Thats what the fans want.

I suggest we go back to a good marching band for halftime. Or maybe a dog chasing a frisbee. Phuck all these divas and their baggage! Of all games, the SB should focus more on football and less on entertainment.

Maybe we can get John Phillip Souza to whip out a new diddy for the kids!

The halftime show is for women/people that don't watch football...its strictly a ratings reach...and the douches that run the network are only concerned with beating out the last years record.

Black Eyed Peas was the absolute worst.

And Bingo was his name-o

This years Super Bowl was the highest rated television program in history. And the highest spike in viewer ratings number occurred---you guessed--at halftime. Meaning more people tuned in for the halftime show than the rest of the game. The world's actions are now dictated by hype and advertising. This isn't a new phenomenon. Football fans could care less--but ther est of the public has been fed the idea that if they miss the "Big Halftime Show Starring Madonna!" they will b the only ones and will somehow be less socially relevent come Monday.

I actually came to like it. I thought she is a rather odd choice to begin with, since she's sold a gazillion records but I'm not sure she's sold many to football fans. Similarly, I thought Vogue was a strange choice to go with, since it is supposed to be a celebration of a gay dance club phenomenon. The science fiction thing with all the dancers and things on stage I found entertaining.

Of course, my standards for Super Bowl halftimes isn't very high-I guess I've seen just about all of them, and until they started booking regular acts not that long ago, they were lousy. I especially remember one year in the eighties where they really built up one show for a couple of weeks starring "Elvis Presto" and distributing 3D glasses in various stores like the ones people used to watch "Creature From The black Lagoon" way back. I actually put them on during this supposed halftime extravaganza and didn't see a damn thing different with them on or off. The music and presentation sucked at a similar level.

So when they started booking people like U2, the Stones and the Who, it was a gigantic leap forward, as far as I was concerned. Even Madonna, at least I've heard her songs on the radio.The sound might not be perfect and there are various glitches in most of the shows, but what went before they started booking established acts was terrible.

And Bingo was his name-o

This years Super Bowl was the highest rated television program in history. And the highest spike in viewer ratings number occurred---you guessed--at halftime. Meaning more people tuned in for the halftime show than the rest of the game. The world's actions are now dictated by hype and advertising. This isn't a new phenomenon. Football fans could care less--but ther est of the public has been fed the idea that if they miss the "Big Halftime Show Starring Madonna!" they will b the only ones and will somehow be less socially relevent come Monday.

Well, most-watched but not the highest-rated. I'm pretty sure few advertisers are more concerned with percentage of eyeballs rather than number of eyeballs anyway.

Well, most-watched but not the highest-rated. I'm pretty sure few advertisers are more concerned with percentage of eyeballs rather than number of eyeballs anyway.

It's Madison Avenue's biggest day. But at every Super Bowl party I've vever been to, people are walking around and talking when ever the game is on commercial. Peoplea are so busy that it's nice to see and talk to folks you don't get to see very foten. Wonder how much money they spend on ads no one really watches,at least that day. And that's as true in people's homes as in bars and clubs. One boat club we used to go to every year had a high stakes poker game at halftime. When somone pointed out Janet Jackson's boob, no one believed him and told him to deal already.

Apple?

Cherry?

Pumpkin?

Pizza?

Hair?

Everybody likes pie. A lot of people like to watch when pie is eaten. No chance of an obscene gesture or wardrobe malfunction because it's pie. Hell people at home or in their seats at the stadium can eat pie along with the halftime pie eaters. Might be exactly what this country needs.

The Nielsen Ratings is one of the biggest frauds perpetrated on the American people.

Of the 114.5 million television households in this country, only 25,000 participate in the Nielsen Ratings system. That is 0.02% of eligible households. No, not 2%, but 0.02% which means that if you selected 5,000 people and chose 1 of them to ask her what their favorite TV is, that will be the answer.

What's startling is the billions of dollars are spent in TV deals based on an absolute fiction.

Archived