Sanchez, Tebow will run 'two separate teams'

A Jet from Oz

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11875/sanchez-tebow-and-two-separate-teams?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sanchez, Tebow and 'two separate teams'

There will be the Mark Sanchez offense, and there will be the Tim Tebow offense -- at least that was the perception given to players Monday at the start of the offseason program.

"It’s like we’re going to be two separate teams, but as far as I know, Mark is still going to be our guy," LG Matt Slauson said Monday night at a charity event in Manhattan.

Tebow, the No. 2 quarterback, will be used as the wildcat quarterback. The Jets have been saying that since he arrived last month in The Trade. But they have other plans, as well. He will be used as an H-Back, a fullback and as a running back, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported Monday morning.

And, oh yes, special teams coach Mike Westhoff is planning to use Tebow as the "personal protector" on the punt team.

Slauson said the plan, under new coordinator Tony Sparano, is to go back to the offense they ran in 2009 and 2010 -- Ground and Pound.

"You guys will be really surprised by what Mark’s going to do this year," he said. "The way we’re going to be running things plays right into Mark's strengths, running the ball. It’ll be very similar to what we did in Rex (Ryan's) first two years, very much a style like that -- heavy run, heavy play action and whipping out a deep ball every now and again. That's all the stuff Mark does really well."

Ryan stunned many at the recent league meetings when he told reporters that Tebow could be used up to 20 plays per game. Consider: The Jets have averaged 66 plays per game in Sanchez's three seasons as the starter.

Also consider this: In Sparano's three-plus seasons as the Dolphins' coach, they used the wildcat only 3.7 plays per game, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The Jets, with Brad Smith running the wildcat in 2010, used it only 2.7 plays per game.

He needs to be a fullback only. Full stop. You run the I-formation. This way Sanchez is ALWAYS behind center. Tebow can take a handoff or a pitch and run the option, run options with McKnight behind him, etc. The offense would be so dynamic that way, provided Santonio Holmes actually tries to get separation this year.

"You guys will be really surprised by what Mark’s going to do this year," he said. "The way we’re going to be running things plays right into Mark's strengths, running the ball. It’ll be very similar to what we did in Rex (Ryan's) first two years, very much a style like that -- heavy run, heavy play action and whipping out a deep ball every now and again. That's all the stuff Mark does really well."

Allow me to translate for Matt Slauson,

"Sanchez blows. Really, the best thing he can do is hand the ball to someone else. Even then, he fumbles about half the time. We're going to play into his strength of sucking this year by taking the ball out of his hands as much as humanly possible. We're going to be running the ball so much that occasionally the other team will forget that we even have a quarterback. That's when we'll hit them with a deep pass, and, if Mark can hit the wide open receiver, they'll be like, 'WTF? The Jets had a quarterback on the field this whole time?'

"Sanchez blows. Really, the best thing he can do is hand the ball to someone else. Even then, he fumbles about half the time. We're going to play into his strength of sucking this year by taking the ball out of his hands as much as humanly possible. We're going to be running the ball so much that occasionally the other team will forget that we even have a quarterback. That's when we'll hit them with a deep pass, and, if Mark can hit the wide open receiver, they'll be like, 'WTF? The Jets had a quarterback on the field this whole time?'*

*See also: "how to suckceed at the Quarterback position" by Tim Tebow.

"Sanchez blows. Really, the best thing he can do is hand the ball to someone else. Even then, he fumbles about half the time. We're going to play into his strength of sucking this year by taking the ball out of his hands as much as humanly possible. We're going to be running the ball so much that occasionally the other team will forget that we even have a quarterback. That's when we'll hit them with a deep pass, and, if Mark can hit the wide open receiver, they'll be like, 'WTF? The Jets had a quarterback on the field this whole time?'

STUPID!!!

I can see them getting away with this for about five or maybe six games before the oppo's defence coaches suss out how to play it...but by then we may have the division in the bag and i am sure they will have a 'plan b' already waiting....wow how optimistic am i ?

And, oh yes, special teams coach Mike Westhoff is planning to use Tebow as the "personal protector" on the punt team.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but assuming Tebow can be an effective blocker (and that obviously needs to be priority #1 for that position), this is actually a pretty damn good idea. Certainly leaves a lot of options open for the team.

While I get what Slauson's trying to say, how hilariously sad does the bolded come across?

(so yeah, ninja'd there many times over, should have seen that coming)

He needs to be a fullback only. Full stop. You run the I-formation. This way Sanchez is ALWAYS behind center. Tebow can take a handoff or a pitch and run the option, run options with McKnight behind him, etc. The offense would be so dynamic that way, provided Santonio Holmes actually tries to get separation this year.

My thoughts exactly. We could really be on to something here.

This is a genius move by the JETS brain trust.

Every team only has one entry to go to the Super Bowl. But the JETS have deliberately divided the JETS into two separate teams. So now we have 2 entries in the main contest which increases the probability of us going to the SB.

Brilliant. They've almost doubled their chances.

:winking0001:

Yep. Been saying this since the beginning. But why do it that way? We don't want to run away with the division or anything.

Two offenses. lol, it's going to be TERRIBLE.

This started a chain of three posts that made me lawl out loud.

Suckceed....hahahah...genius.

The funny thing is that I think it works. They say it themselves..same sh*t from 2009 and 2010 but this time he's a 4th year and not a rookie/2nd year. They just jumped the gun last year and put more on him than they should have without considering that he sucks.

the best idea is actually the punt team idea

if you respect the fake, it has to effect the return team

if you don't respect it, they run the fake

now if we had a punter........

and is it too much to ask rex to keep his damn mouth shut ? and to tell the dumb players to shut their mouths ?

lets just tell them when we will use him on 2 pt conversions while we're at it

http://espn.go.com/b..._medium=twitter

Sanchez, Tebow and 'two separate teams'

There will be the Mark Sanchez offense, and there will be the Tim Tebow offense -- at least that was the perception given to players Monday at the start of the offseason program.

"It’s like we’re going to be two separate teams, but as far as I know, Mark is still going to be our guy," LG Matt Slauson said Monday night at a charity event in Manhattan.

Tebow, the No. 2 quarterback, will be used as the wildcat quarterback. The Jets have been saying that since he arrived last month in The Trade. But they have other plans, as well. He will be used as an H-Back, a fullback and as a running back, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported Monday morning.

Slauson said the plan, under new coordinator Tony Sparano, is to go back to the offense they ran in 2009 and 2010 -- Ground and Pound.

Ryan stunned many at the recent league meetings when he told reporters that Tebow could be used up to 20 plays per game. Consider: The Jets have averaged 66 plays per game in Sanchez's three seasons as the starter.

Also consider this: In Sparano's three-plus seasons as the Dolphins' coach, they used the wildcat only 3.7 plays per game, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The Jets, with Brad Smith running the wildcat in 2010, used it only 2.7 plays per game.

This makes much more sense and now im starting to like what im seeing. I've never liked Tebow as a QB but I always thought that he is one heck of a football player. Changing his position on the field is a great idea. Rex making the comment of Tebow playing 20 snaps per game had many of us instantly think QB position. We can have Tebow on the field with Sanchez. He can play different position and I think that this is how we can get the best use from Tebow.

Maybe the Jets know what they're doing here and simply wasnt specific with their plans.

I'd like to see what Tebow can do at TE & HB as well as running the Pistol Offense when he is playing QB.

Two offenses. lol, it's going to be TERRIBLE.

it can't possibly be worse than the 1 offense they had last year

that's what alot of the national media haters are missing. The Jets offense was so sh*t stank garbage last year, there's no way it could be worse with Tebow. It literally can't get worse.

that's what alot of the national media haters are missing. The Jets offense was so sh*t stank garbage last year, there's no way it could be worse with Tebow. It literally can't get worse.

Shotty's gone, it won't

While it might be difficult for it to be worse, it still very well could be (the Jets weren't even the worst in the league last year), so please stop saying that it can't. This is the Jets we're talking about here, you should know by now that the more often you say something negative isn't possible, it's all the more likely it actually happens.

While it might be difficult for it to be worse, it still very well could be (the Jets weren't even the worst in the league last year), so please stop saying that it can't.

even if Sanchez completely bottoms out and they run full time tebow-cat, that will be better than last years offense

remember that Tebow, for all his limitations, almost never turned the ball over. He has a huge ball security advantage over Sanchez.

Archived