is Holmes contract the worst in Jets history??

Blackout

The worst contract the Jets ever signed was probably the one with DeWayne Robertson. It was a deal that just kept on giving and giving and giving him more money. Sure some of that was because of the rookie pay, but I believe his annual value under normal conditions was about 6.6 million. It was identical to Andre Johnson, picked one slot before, after Johnson hit his performance incentives, meaning if Johnson was as good as D-Rob, Robertson would have earned more than the number 3 pick in the draft. The pick after D-Rob got 3 million a season. All Robertsons incentives were so easy to unlock, paid at early dates, and signing bonus money that made him uncuttable. Even 6 years into the deal we had to carry a 2.8 million dead cap charge on him in order to trade him. Unlike Chad there was no way to get him to take a paycut because they knew he was 100% safe. Part of the reason I think Jets frontload deals so much now is so they never have a D-Rob situation on their hands again.

Oh man these games were crazy!! Lets hope we see him make some plays like this this year!

Oh and Sanchez sucks and can't throw for sh*t right? No chance of him ever being great! lmao Those passes could not have been more PERFECT! Gonna be a big year for him, I can feel it!

The optimist says: Mark throws one hell of a fade pass.

The realist says: So did Chad.

The optimist says: Mark throws one hell of a fade pass.

The realist says: So did Chad.

C'mon man really? Sanchez has a much stronger arm than Chad.

I know its just in the sports fans nature to forget quickly but he throws a decent deep ball when he has time, we just haven't seen it in a while but I bet we will this sunday!

Much stronger arm than Chad.

I know its just in the sports fans nature to forget quickly but he also throws a decent deep ball when he has time, we just haven't seen it in a while but I bet we will this sunday!

I hope so, I'm rooting for him. There seems to be something off with his deep passes though, it looks like he needs an extra step to setup for a deep pass when compared with a guy like Stafford or Rodgers

For all those who say Vernon Gholston's contract gotta remeber he was drafted in the first round and the contract given to him was a rookie contract.

Santonio was signed as a free agent. He was a problem child in the past and yet the JETS gave him so much money with no way to get out of it if Santonio chose to be the Santonio of old.

For all those who say Vernon Gholston's contract gotta remeber he was drafted in the first round and the contract given to him was a rookie contract.

Santonio was signed as a free agent. He was a problem child in the past and yet the JETS gave him so much money with no way to get out of it if Santonio chose to be the Santonio of old.

If I'm reading Jason's cap page correctly, they can cut him at the end of the year with a net cap savings if they feel he's not worth it.

In retrospect, giving Plaxico Burress $3 million dollars may have ruined Rex Ryan's Jets career. He came in with his well-documented psycho-douche attitude, emboldened Holmes to revert to giant doucheness and, as a result, took away any chance of Mark Sanchez ever developing into a leader on this team.

In retrospect, giving Plaxico Burress $3 million dollars may have ruined Rex Ryan's Jets career. He came in with his well-documented psycho-douche attitude, emboldened Holmes to revert to giant doucheness and, as a result, took away any chance of Mark Sanchez ever developing into a leader on this team.

Part of me agrees with you on this.

Hmm, you may be on to something here.

1. Curtis Martin deal (signing an aging RB to a longterm deal through the age of 36.....insanely stupid)

2. Wayne Chrebet deal (see above, WR version)

3. Chad Pennington ($64M with $20M guaranteed, i.e. Brady money, to a QB with a broken wing and 1 very good season)

1. HOF running back. worth the contract

2. Overpaid late, underpaid early in his career. Wash.

3. Franchise QB with highest completion % in league history. Coming off huge season at the tme of his contract. QB 64mil > #2 WR 50mil

4. All of the above earned their money first. Holmes only ruffled feathers and quit on the team. Martin, Chrebet, Pennington would never quit

1. HOF running back. worth the contract

You don't reward players for past performance alone, you sign them to extensions for FUTURE performance. No RB in the history of the NFL has been effective into his mid-30's, and no successful team in the NFL ever hands out extensions like these.

4. All of the above earned their money first. Holmes only ruffled feathers and quit on the team. Martin, Chrebet, Pennington would never quit

This is a business, its not about rewarding players because they're "good guys". Chrebet and Martin were a joy to watch.......in their primes. The version of Curtis we paid at the end of his career, and the concussion-riddled Chrebet we saw at the end of his? Not what I think of when I think of those guys. And a terrible, terrible set of business decisions.

Pennington is more forgivable only because we thought he was the franchise guy. But the amount of money we paid him was exorbitant, well above market value. What the Bills handed Ryan Fitzpatrick seems like peanuts by comparison.

Archived