Two Names to Watch Eric Smith, and Kerry Rhodes

flgreen

3-point stance: Powell, safeties and the depth chart

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 8:03 AM, August 5, 2013

CORTLAND – The Jets are back to work Monday after a day off. Camp is now entering the next phase. The scrimmage is over and there is a preseason game on Friday. The coaches and staff now have watched enough to start evaluating and begin thinking about who will make this team.

Here are three things on my mind this morning:

1. DON’T FORGET BILAL – The Jets signed Mike Goodson and traded for Chris Ivory this offseason to bolster their running back situation. That led to a lot of talk about those two, but not much about Bilal Powell, who is entering his third season.

I thought Powell played pretty well last year and deserved a shot at being the feature back. By the end of last season he had cut into Shonn Greene’s carries and was delivering. I also think Powell can catch the ball, something that is key in Marty Mornhinweg’s system. Now, with Goodson still missing from camp and Ivory sidelined with a hamstring injury, Powell is taking advantage. He has practiced well and starred in the scrimmage. The starting job is still Ivory’s when he comes back but Powell has put himself in the conversation.

2. SAFETY PATROL – Don’t be shocked if the Jets sign a veteran safety soon. I’m not buying this idea that they’re going to start Antonio Allen. He just does not look ready. It reminds me of the year Yankees general manager Brian Cashman tried to convince everyone Bubba Crosby was going to be the starting center fielder and then signed Johnny Damon before the season.

Two names to watch are old friends Eric Smith and Kerry Rhodes. Both remain free agents and both know Rex Ryan’s defense so it would not take them long to get up to speed. If they sign Rhodes, It would be fascinating because Ryan trashed him in his book. Money tends to heal those kinds of wounds, though.

3. ON THE MOVE – Former special teams coach Mike Westhoff has been in town the last few days and he said he was going to stay through today’s practice for an interesting reason. Westhoff said today is when you can see who jumped out at the coaches during the scrimmage by paying attention to who is now getting time with the starters or even the second team. Westhoff said sometimes you think a guy is a “JV player” and then they make you put them with the varsity. We’ll see if anyone has jumped up the depth chart today.

Read more: 3-point stance: Powell, safeties and the depth chart http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/point_stance_powell_safeties_and_o8XoVFB4RcFl0XQva77zOI#ixzz2b6RitZlY

3-point stance: Powell, safeties and the depth chart

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 8:03 AM, August 5, 2013

CORTLAND – The Jets are back to work Monday after a day off. Camp is now entering the next phase. The scrimmage is over and there is a preseason game on Friday. The coaches and staff now have watched enough to start evaluating and begin thinking about who will make this team.

Here are three things on my mind this morning:

1. DON’T FORGET BILAL – The Jets signed Mike Goodson and traded for Chris Ivory this offseason to bolster their running back situation. That led to a lot of talk about those two, but not much about Bilal Powell, who is entering his third season.

I thought Powell played pretty well last year and deserved a shot at being the feature back. By the end of last season he had cut into Shonn Greene’s carries and was delivering. I also think Powell can catch the ball, something that is key in Marty Mornhinweg’s system. Now, with Goodson still missing from camp and Ivory sidelined with a hamstring injury, Powell is taking advantage. He has practiced well and starred in the scrimmage. The starting job is still Ivory’s when he comes back but Powell has put himself in the conversation.

2. SAFETY PATROL – Don’t be shocked if the Jets sign a veteran safety soon. I’m not buying this idea that they’re going to start Antonio Allen. He just does not look ready. It reminds me of the year Yankees general manager Brian Cashman tried to convince everyone Bubba Crosby was going to be the starting center fielder and then signed Johnny Damon before the season.

Two names to watch are old friends Eric Smith and Kerry Rhodes. Both remain free agents and both know Rex Ryan’s defense so it would not take them long to get up to speed. If they sign Rhodes, It would be fascinating because Ryan trashed him in his book. Money tends to heal those kinds of wounds, though.

Read more: 3-point stance: Powell, safeties and the depth chart http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/point_stance_powell_safeties_and_o8XoVFB4RcFl0XQva77zOI#ixzz2b6RitZlY

Rhodes got in a fight with Dennis Thurman who is now the DC no way would they ever consider Rhodes.. No way on Smith either..

Rhodes got in a fight with Dennis Thurman who is now the DC no way would they ever consider Rhodes..

You think Dennis might have suggested he hit somebody? His vaginitus had to drive Rex crazy too and probably made for the short tenure of Doug Plank as a DB coach.

it's kinda ridiculous that Kerry RHodes is still unemployed. He had 4 picks last year.  And he does about that much every year.

Yep he sure did - and to his credit he didn't drop a damn one of those things thrown directly into his arms.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAa.... no Jets news = columnists tweeking Jets fans by making up crap about 2 of the least popular Jets of the last decade coming back.

Hack journalism, etc, etc.

Exactly.  I can't see either one being brought back.  Even if Rex wanted one of them back (which I don't believe that even Rex is that dumb), I can't see Idzik agreeing to it.  If they're not happy with Allen and Bush, they can try Wilson at FS, and I'm sure there will be a camp cut or two come available in a few weeks.

the jets havnt had a #1 defense since Kerry Rhodes left. coincidence? yes, it seems Rhodes went to the same tackling school as cromartie once did, but the dude could cover a tight end

We haven't had a #1 defense since Marques Douglas left.

We haven't had a #1 defense since Lito Sheppard left.

We haven't had a #1 defense since Vernon Gholston left.

Rhodes was the only player that Rex openly hated and Eric Smith humiliated Rex against Denver by whiffing on Tebow. Also, Rex is on record as saying he considered dumping Smith in 09 because he sucked.

Rex didn't like Rhodes because in his opinion Rhodes is a sexual deviant.  

Also I heard a rumor (ok, I'm starting a rumor) that Rhodes wears a size 6 shoe and Rex certainly noticed.  Infer from that what you will.

Rhodes was the only player that Rex openly hated and Eric Smith humiliated Rex against Denver by whiffing on Tebow. Also, Rex is on record as saying he considered dumping Smith in 09 because he sucked.

Rex hated him cause he's the only player who didn't schtupp his wife. Now we know why

Rex didn't like Rhodes because in his opinion Rhodes is a sexual deviant.  

Also I heard a rumor (ok, I'm starting a rumor) that Rhodes wears a size 6 shoe and Rex certainly noticed.  Infer from that what you will.

And Rex isn't?

Archived