Geno Smith: Our Starter

Lizard King

They have these things called practices, where the coaches get to see the players first-hand day after day after day.  They see him making a lot more throws in practices and breaking down a lot more film than just a couple dozen snaps against future cut players.

This notion that they have no idea whatsoever what a player is like, unless you give him several games as starter, is ridiculous.  If Simms had separated him so obviously all summer long they'd have worked him in.  He has an experienced QBC and OC and they aren't blind.  The only ones who feel the need to hand him half a season "just to see what we've got" are the fans who don't get to see all this stuff.

It's funny you say this, because that actually comes back to a point I had been thinking about recently that I had decided not to get into, to avoid upsetting the migrating Ratliff fans.  But was it not just a few weeks ago that the Jets decided to give Simms a shot against the #1 defense in camp to see how he'd do, and he was absolutely torn apart by them?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing more than for Simms to be everything some think/hope he is and more, but I don't see how there's enough evidence to come to such a conclusion at this point, even if he has shown some reasons for optimism.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MANZIEL??????????

Man the media would love that.  Cimini and Mehta are offering lamb's to Baal right now.

The Jets won't be any where bad enough for Clowney

flgreen.. you are so right about the part I put in bold. 

This is a team that won 6 games last year...I believe that this team at least as good as last years.  The big wild card here of course is Gino Smith.    I think the O-line is imporved with Colon, I think we are better ar Running back with Powell, Ivory and Goodsen;  at wide out we are at least the same, if holmes can play, better.  I think Spadola is going to surprise people.  I think the addition of Kellen Winsolw Jr gives us an athletic TE.   As for the defense,   while I am concerned about THE injury to Coples. the guys up front look good.  If milner can play a decent corner with cro, my only concern will be the safeties. 

I do not tnink the Jets are going to be a world beater, but they are not the disaster that they are bein 

I said IF were sitting G Smith, wasn't calling for it, sometimes guys just have IT once the game starts, and there is no way practice can evaluate a QB 100% you need live bullets to really know what you have, what's the guy like when 300 pound lineman are trying to rip his head off, some QB's thrive, others fall apart, looking great, or bad with the Red non contact practice jersey doesn't completely evaluate the QB, it takes that last step of a real game, survival instincts kick in guys have it, or they don't!

Sorry, don't buy it. No one sucks when they're not permitted to be touched in practice, but then turn into great QBs when "300 pound linemen are trying to rip his head off."  Besides, when the pass rush got near him his throws were terrible.  He should have had 2 picks that last game, and the latter of the two easily could have been a pick-6.  They were dropped so he gets as much credit as he does for purposely throwing it away.

I saw him make a bunch of great throws, but I also saw a bunch of great throws to guys who were wide open while he wasn't under so much pressure.  When the pressure was there he didn't look all Aaron Rodgers-ish.

I don't have the slightest clue whether Smith will be good or Sanchez-level awful in the long term.  But with Simms, people are seeing what they want to see and ignoring that which they don't.

I guarantee that if Simms looked like the next coming of whatever, that everyone associated with the team would be behind it.  Except Sanchez and his lovers.

flgreen.. you are so right about the part I put in bold. 

This is a team that won 6 games last year...I believe that this team at least as good as last years.  The big wild card here of course is Gino Smith.    I think the O-line is imporved with Colon, I think we are better ar Running back with Powell, Ivory and Goodsen;  at wide out we are at least the same, if holmes can play, better.  I think Spadola is going to surprise people.  I think the addition of Kellen Winsolw Jr gives us an athletic TE.   As for the defense,   while I am concerned about THE injury to Coples. the guys up front look good.  If milner can play a decent corner with cro, my only concern will be the safeties. 

I do not tnink the Jets are going to be a world beater, but they are not the disaster that they are bein 

Agree 100%

As I noted in another thread I think , they even have a playoff shot

Many good points about Simms. I want Simms to start for one main reason, Geno is not ready. Simms probably is not either, but I would rather take the chance of ruining a walk on than a high 2nd round pick. Against backups, Simms looked better. Against starters, Simms did not play, but Geno looked like crap. Let Simms take the early beating, and let Smith come in when the schedule gets soft.

i do anticipate a multi pick game. but i think he can win against TB. Revis aint invincible. He does eff up every now and then and this is his first game back from a major injury. he's gonna be cautious. what i want is to establish a running game. Do that and Geno will be fine.

i do anticipate a multi pick game. but i think he can win against TB. Revis aint invincible. He does eff up every now and then and this is his first game back from a major injury. he's gonna be cautious. what i want is to establish a running game. Do that and Geno will be fine.

What receiver is going to make Revis look bad?

Based on everything Idzik has said since he came to NY I don't think smitten is the right word.   I honestly believe that Idzik and the Jets had Geno as the 39th best player on the board and stayed true to it.  

I also think that Idzik and his "competition" theme is going to end with Simms behind center.   For whatever reason I think this kid is going to be the real deal and the Jets are finally going to catch a break.  

I don't see how the win more than 3 games no qb no rb no wr no te it's not good I've excepted they rebuild and you have to be real bad before u can be good agaon

As far as a QB goes you might be right .  The Jets won 6 games last year.   The RB's are better, the WR's are better the TE's are better, the DL is better, the CB's are better.

The only way they only win 3 games is if they punish Smith, and make him play 16 games when he's not ready

As far as a QB goes you might be right .  The Jets won 6 games last year.   The RB's are better, the WR's are better the TE's are better, the DL is better, the CB's are better.

They are? Really? Ivory & Goodson are anything but an upgrade. TE is addition by subtraction. WR is still to short & too slow.

Many good points about Simms. I want Simms to start for one main reason, Geno is not ready. Simms probably is not either, but I would rather take the chance of ruining a walk on than a high 2nd round pick. Against backups, Simms looked better. Against starters, Simms did not play, but Geno looked like crap. Let Simms take the early beating, and let Smith come in when the schedule gets soft.

If Geno struggles early, I am definitely get on board with that.

Based on everything Idzik has said since he came to NY I don't think smitten is the right word.   I honestly believe that Idzik and the Jets had Geno as the 39th best player on the board and stayed true to it.  

I also think that Idzik and his "competition" theme is going to end with Simms behind center.   For whatever reason I think this kid is going to be the real deal and the Jets are finally going to catch a break.  

If Geno isn't the real deal, then I hope you're right and Simms is.

They have these things called practices, where the coaches get to see the players first-hand day after day after day.  They see him making a lot more throws in practices and breaking down a lot more film than just a couple dozen snaps against future cut players.

This notion that they have no idea whatsoever what a player is like, unless you give him several games as starter, is ridiculous.  If Simms had separated him so obviously all summer long they'd have worked him in.  He has an experienced QBC and OC and they aren't blind.  The only ones who feel the need to hand him half a season "just to see what we've got" are the fans who don't get to see all this stuff.

Man, you really love Geno. I hope you are right.

As far as a QB goes you might be right . The Jets won 6 games last year. The RB's are better, the WR's are better the TE's are better, the DL is better, the CB's are better.

The only way they only win 3 games is if they punish Smith, and make him play 16 games when he's not ready

Schedule, on paper, looks much more difficult.

Archived