You're the GM who would you trade our #1 pick for?

joewilly12

Jimmy Graham is a free agent next year. If you can bring him in for less than that, it might be a good idea.

I know people keep bringing up Jimmy Graham, but even if not extended, is their any chance in hell he doesn't get tagged by NO?  I can't imagine them having anyone else who would take priority over Graham with them extending Brees last year and plus the TE tag number is probably one of the lower ones out there.

Note:  After a quick check, the franchise tag # for TEs this past offseason was the second lowest, after only kicker/punter, at $6 million.  No way that NO doesn't tag Graham.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know people keep bringing up Jimmy Graham, but even if not extended, is their any chance in hell he doesn't get tagged by NO?  I can't imagine them having anyone else who would take priority over Graham with them extending Brees last year and plus the TE tag number is probably one of the lower ones out there.

Note:  After a quick check, the franchise tag # for TEs this past offseason was the second lowest, after only kicker/punter, at $6 million.  No way that NO doesn't tag Graham.

Ah, well, too bad. No doubt there will be plenty of RBs/WRs/TEs to spend that money on, though.

Trading next year's #1 for a player this year would be stupid.

/discussion

I don't think it would be so bad.  I can't imagine there being a worthwhile player offered, but I don't think the general principle is so crazy.  You get almost a full extra year with the player than the pick, offset by the fact that the guy probably won't have as much contract left.  The Jets are in a fairly poor position to make this kind of move since they are in <whisper> rebuilding mode <end whisper>.  They are one of the teams that might be better off seeing what their needs are and who is available before pulling the trigger.  

That gives them insane leverage over him in contract talks.  Clearly he should get more than $6MM/year but they can always fall back on the franchise tag if they don't want to pay him more.  Then he almost has to hold out.  That's when we make our offer :)

Thinking any team is trading a young franchise QB (Kap, Luck etc) for our 1st rnd draft pick is nonsense and there isnt any back in the league, AP included,

worth trading a #1 for.

The only thing that makes sense is waiting for the draft and trading up.

Trade the pick with a 2nd round pick, move up and take Bridgewater. 

i'd of liked trent richadson, I wonder if the jets even talked to them. I'm guessing we mgiht not have the cap room, but we had a good chunk befor the season that Idzik worked pretty hard on and I can't see that they signed anyone that would of taken that kind of money.

Well, duh. Glad to see Cam Newton thrown out. Senor Newton still has the highest ceiling I've ever seen for a QB. If/When he breaks out it will be big time. 

As I'm sure it's been mentioned, I wouldn't trade our first for anything other than a QB and as it stands, there's not too many QBs I'm trading our #1 for, outside of those three. I'm sure I'd say RG III as well, but I figured this was a who's the one player you really want type of thing. 

The only thing that worries me about Cam, would be how he'd handle the NY media; he already slunks down on the sideline and he only gets criticized by guys like nawrocki and a handful of others.  He'd be a mental midget here in NY, but I do love his upside.

I don't think the NY media could handle Cam. He's hilariously not Eli Manning, who catches sh*t for being the opposite kind of personality at QB anyway. It's all drivel anyway.

Cam is totally the opposite of Eli:

Frank Garcia rips Cam Newton. “He is a phony”, “They (the panthers) don’t trust him, they have no confidence in him”. “The players don’t trust him”.

We need a game breaker WR or RB if it takes dealing next years #1 lets get it done!

So you think this team is a RB or WR away from... what? A .500 record?

I get the frustration with Stephen Hill, but he's still the same athletically freakish project the Jets took in the second round last year. The fact that he didn't develop under Sporano with Sanchez throwing to him, or that he hasn't flipped the switch in his second system in two years with a rookie QB shouldn't be surprising, either. He still has a lot of potential, and the Jets will be much better off trying to nurture that potential in the long run, instead of benching the kid. Getting a guy like Spadola some reps is a good idea for the future, too.

Ditto on RB. They traded a fourth rounder for Chris Ivory, and their sin there is not feeding him the football enough. I love that Mornhinweg is a legit OC, but his reputation for getting away from the run is proving itself to be well earned thru two weeks. The Jets also signed Mike Goodson, who's supposed to bring some home run potential, maybe we should see what he looks like on the field before giving up on the position this year, too.

Next year, the Jets will have upwards of $50M in cap space. They can go after weaponz with that money then without having to forfeit draft picks - if after a season watching guys like Hill, Spadola, Ivory, and Goodson they still feel the need to (and yeah, they probably will). And the holes not filled in free agency can the be addressed with a full compliment of picks.

Trading away any future picks to attempt to help this year's team, however, continues to be a dumb idea.

So you think this team is a RB or WR away from... what? A .500 record?

I get the frustration with Stephen Hill, but he's still the same athletically freakish project the Jets took in the second round last year. The fact that he didn't develop under Sporano with Sanchez throwing to him, or that he hasn't flipped the switch in his second system in two years with a rookie QB shouldn't be surprising, either. He still has a lot of potential, and the Jets will be much better off trying to nurture that potential in the long run, instead of benching the kid. Getting a guy like Spadola some reps is a good idea for the future, too.

Ditto on RB. They traded a fourth rounder for Chris Ivory, and their sin there is not feeding him the football enough. I love that Mornhinweg is a legit OC, but his reputation for getting away from the run is proving itself to be well earned thru two weeks. The Jets also signed Mike Goodson, who's supposed to bring some home run potential, maybe we should see what he looks like on the field before giving up on the position this year, too.

Next year, the Jets will have upwards of $50M in cap space. They can go after weaponz with that money then without having to forfeit draft picks - if after a season watching guys like Hill, Spadola, Ivory, and Goodson they still feel the need to (and yeah, they probably will). And the holes not filled in free agency can the be addressed with a full compliment of picks.

Trading away any future picks to attempt to help this year's team, however, continues to be a dumb idea.

I'm really surprised how narrow you are viewing this.

What you seem to be missing, is that any player we trade for will help this years team AND next years team. Essentially you are weighing the value of a proven older player versus the unknown of a draft pick .

In either Geno scenario there are viable options . knowing what we know today about him, you really wouldn't trade for Andrew Luck?

Assuming as someone said, we know that Geno will pan out, you wouldn't take a young all pro at WR? I would everyday of the week and twice on Sunday

I'm really surprised how narrow you are viewing this.

What you seem to be missing, is that any player we trade for will help this years team AND next years team. Essentially you are weighing the value of a proven older player versus the unknown of a draft pick .

In either Geno scenario there are viable options . knowing what we know today about him, you really wouldn't trade for Andrew Luck?

Assuming as someone said, we know that Geno will pan out, you wouldn't take a young all pro at WR? I would everyday of the week and twice on Sunday

I'm not considering any impossible hypothetical trades. If I thought the Colts would trade Luck to the Jets for their first rounder next year, of course I'd jump at it. The OP is talking about needing RB or WR help, though.

I'm not considering any impossible hypothetical trades. If I thought the Colts would trade Luck to the Jets for their first rounder next year, of course I'd jump at it. The OP is talking about needing RB or WR help, though.

under the hypothetical about being sure on Geno , it would make sense though

under the hypothetical about being sure on Geno , it would make sense though

Well, if I'm the GM, I'm no more sold on Geno than I am as a fan. I think having that #1 next year is critical, because I think that once again, the Jets should probably be in the QB market. Outside of trading for a legitimate franchise QB (which isn't going to happen), I wouldn't even consider trading that pick away.

Well, if I'm the GM, I'm no more sold on Geno than I am as a fan. I think having that #1 next year is critical, because I think that once again, the Jets should probably be in the QB market. Outside of trading for a legitimate franchise QB (which isn't going to happen), I wouldn't even consider trading that pick away.

well ya, realistically no.. I took the entire thread as being hypothetical

We cannot keep selecting QBs with valuable draft picks. We need playmakers wasting picks on project QBs is whats wrong with this team. Draft WRs,RBs,LBs  you can build a team around a mediocre QB.  Im not saying Geno Smith is mediocre I believe hes a SUPERSTAR!!!!!!!!

Archived