Jets' Players Want Rex Extended

flgreen

By Kristian DyerPublished:  November 4, 2013
Jets players want Rex Ryan signed to contract extension
rex_ryan-614x420.jpg

This was supposed to be Rex Ryan’s final year, the season that saw the Jets head coach on his way out after so much promise.

The Jets weren’t supposed to be average let alone good, with them broadly predicted in preseason to be the worst team in football. Instead, the Jets are 5-4 after Sunday’s 26-20 win over the NFC South-leading Saints.

And Ryan just might be lining himself up for a contract extension if his locker room gets its wish.

“I do [want him back],” guard Willie Colon told Metro. “When I got here, the team had been through a lot. I think now you’re starting to see guys mingle together, guys coming together. This is a young team and you see them growing up. This team is on the up and up and guys understand what Rex is saying, that we’re only going to do this thing together.”

Colon called Ryan a “mastermind coach” who understands this team inside and out.

The Jets weren’t supposed to be in the playoff conversation at any point this season but they currently hold the final wild-card spot. The backend of the schedule is manageable and could easily net another four or five wins.

At no point, according to the players in this locker room, has Ryan made this season about himself or keeping his job. Instead, he has spoken with his team about defying expectations.

“Our job is incomplete. We have a long way to go. We have seven games left in the regular season,” Ryan said. “I’ve said it isn’t about me, it is about who we play next and getting ready to go. “

•  

At 5-4, the Jets have already won more games than many predicted they would this entire season. Even with the changes to the staff and the upheaval of the roster, general manager John Idzik says Ryan “has held it all together.”

“Rex is a great coach. The business of this game is that you have to perform, you have to have productivity as a player or as a coach in order to keep a job,” guard Austin Howard told Metro. “The way he has coached us with that swagger — with that belief – you have guys in here starting to believe in him. Rex is about the team, he loves this game and he’s passionate. It’s never been about Rex Ryan. It’s always about the team. You look at the walls around here. It says ‘Team’ and Rex understands that; he understands that it is a family.”

For a team that is rebuilding, Ryan remains a head coach that is appealing to players and free agents. With some significant cap space likely to be cleared this offseason, the Jets can potentially make a run at free agents to buoy their youthful core.

Colon, who signed this offseason as a free agent, the talk about Ryan as a player’s coach has certainly been validated.

“He’s exactly what I thought he was — everything advertised,” Colon said. “He’s fiery, emotional, wears his heart on his sleeve. [He] makes you want to play for him.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2013/11/04/jets-players-want-rex-ryan-signed-to-contract-extension/#sthash.so0HhyFN.dpuf

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres a newsflash lol the Jets really have accomplished nothing so far.. REPEAT = NOTHING. I remember 2008 7-4 and sh*tting and 2011 under the great leadership of Rex they were 8-5 and took a huge sh*t at the end topped off by a humiliating ass whooping by the Giants on a Saturday on national tv for everybody to see.

lets see how the season ends and not judge right now.

he deserves an extension. this team is physical and whether they win or lose they put a hurt on the other team, that's Rex Ryan football. he's more than a defensive mastermind - sees the whole field. how about the long FG attempt whamboozle against Belly? to have this team at .500 or better is a miracle of coaching. This is true of Marty Morn as well doing a hell of a job with one the league's least talented offense (on paper) week in and week out. the Jets are literally starting street FAs at WR and TE. 

Heres a newsflash lol the Jets really have accomplished nothing so far.. REPEAT = NOTHING. I remember 2008 7-4 and shitting and 2011 under the great leadership of Rex they were 8-5 and took a huge shit at the end topped off by a humiliating ass whooping by the Giants on a Saturday on national tv for everybody to see.

Rex is the real deal.  Kotite can't hurt you anymore.

Oh hey! lets sign him to a lifetime contract!

Heres a newsflash lol the Jets really have accomplished nothing so far.. REPEAT = NOTHING. I remember 2008 7-4 and sh*tting and 2011 under the great leadership of Rex they were 8-5 and took a huge sh*t at the end topped off by a humiliating ass whooping by the Giants on a Saturday on national tv for everybody to see.

Kristian Dyer struggles with the concept of plurality.

Kristian Dyer is and idiot

"Guard Austin Howard."

Haters.  Gonna.  Hate.

The bye week came at a perfect time around here.  This is fun.

Wow, and I thought I was bitter over failures past.

he deserves an extension. this team is physical and whether they win or lose they put a hurt on the other team, that's Rex Ryan football. he's more than a defensive mastermind - sees the whole field. how about the long FG attempt whamboozle against Belly? to have this team at .500 or better is a miracle of coaching. This is true of Marty Morn as well doing a hell of a job with one the league's least talented offense (on paper) week in and week out. the Jets are literally starting street FAs at WR and TE. 

This. I don't see how anyone who is being objective could say that going 5-4 thus far with this train wreck of a roster (and what few talented players they do have have lost a lot of time due to injury) has not accomplished anything. Ludicrous to say the least. If Rex somehow gets this to team to the playoffs he should be considered for coach of the year.

At 5-4, the Jets have already won more games than many predicted they would this entire season. Even with the changes to the staff and the upheaval of the roster, general manager John Idzik says Ryan “has held it all together.

John Idzik gets it, even if the ilk doesn't. This team has no business being 5-4.

John Idzik gets it, even if the ilk doesn't. This team has no business being 5-4.

The parity in this league is greater than it ever has been, and the gap in talent level from the best team to the worst team is probably closer than any time in league history. 

Play close, get some breaks and have a great field goal kicker is a great formula in a tight league.

The Jets, as their record and point differential (only 4 teams are worse) states have played tight games very well, and have suffered some big let downs.

The Jet season, as all NFL team's seasons will be defined how they close.

So far  a very good start.

The parity in this league is greater than it ever has been, and the gap in talent level from the best team to the worst team is probably closer than any time in league history. 

Play close, get some breaks and have a great field goal kicker is a great formula in a tight league.

The Jets, as their record and point differential (only 4 teams are worse) states have played tight games very well, and have suffered some big let downs.

The Jet season, as all NFL team's seasons will be defined how they close.

So far  a very good start.

This is all true.  And more often than not, the close wins come down to good coaching.  There's a reason people think Ron Rivera is a bad coach even though the Panthers (+ 98 in net points) are playing quite well......he always seems to come out on the losing end of those close games despite superior talent.

The Jets (- 62 net points) are the opposite but still have a comparable record to the 5-3 Panthers:  They LACK talent yet are overachieving and winning a lot of games they have no business winning.  And that's an awesome thing to witness.

What metric was used to deduce this? The metric that says if the Jets have a winning record there has to be some explanation other than Ryan doing a good job of coaching?

"Hey, everyone sucks somewhat, so this ain't no thing."

Tampa Bay is an example of a team with overall above-average talent that is being coached into being a doormat.  The Jets are an example of a team with overall doormat talent/production, outside of the DL and a LB, who are being well-coached.

But beyond that example of Tampa Bay, there is an enormous discrepancy in the talent levels between Denver or Seattle or SF or others, and teams like Jacksonville and Pittsburgh and the Giants (all they really have are a couple of pass-rushers and receivers and a QB who suddenly isn't getting so lucky).  There is an ENORMOUS talent-gap.  

Some teams are playing better than their talent level, like the Jets.  Same with the Browns, and to a much greater extent, the Chiefs (largely aided by not playing anyone really good).  But that stuff has happened for as long as I've been watching football.  Even before free agency teams have had records notably better or worse than their talent level should have dictated.  There have always been surprise winners, always been letdowns, always been upsets, and this half-season is nothing special in that regard.

What metric was used to deduce this? The metric that says if the Jets have a winning record there has to be some explanation other than Ryan doing a good job of coaching?

"Hey, everyone sucks somewhat, so this ain't no thing."

Tampa Bay is an example of a team with overall above-average talent that is being coached into being a doormat.  The Jets are an example of a team with overall doormat talent/production, outside of the DL and a LB, who are being well-coached.

But beyond that example of Tampa Bay, there is an enormous discrepancy in the talent levels between Denver or Seattle or SF or others, and teams like Jacksonville and Pittsburgh and the Giants (all they really have are a couple of pass-rushers and receivers and a QB who suddenly isn't getting so lucky).  There is an ENORMOUS talent-gap.  

Some teams are playing better than their talent level, like the Jets.  Same with the Browns, and to a much greater extent, the Chiefs (largely aided by not playing anyone really good).  But that stuff has happened for as long as I've been watching football.  Even before free agency teams have had records notably better or worse than their talent level should have dictated.  There have always been surprise winners, always been letdowns, always been upsets, and this half-season is nothing special in that regard.

Through 7 weeks 69% of games in the 4th quarter were within 7 points-most in league history.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-25/nfl-point-spreads-soar-while-number-of-close-games-sets-a-record.html

There are so many games where the difference between winning and losing comes down to a couple of plays- this year  so far we are on the right side of that call it luck and good coaching to be in that position

Lets make a deal- win two in a row and we can extend the coach.

Let's make a deal.  Don't judge this team like we have a top-25 roster.

Even some of the "name" players are playing mostly crappy (excuse me - "inconsistent") this year.  D'Brick, Mangold, Milliner (has been bad even for a rookie) and especially Cromartie.  

That said, the only one who I think has earned an extension after the first 9 games is Andy Reid (who's only 9 games into his contract).

Archived