Fill Out Rex's Report Card

T0mShane

Preparation of the team on a week to week basis/Game-planning:

C-: It's undeniable that he can occasionally cook up a great defensive scheme that can screw up even the best quarterbacks, but not with any consistency. As great as it is to stifle Drew Brees and Tom Brady, it's equally as appalling to get toasted in subsequent weeks by Jake Locker and EJ Manuel. For the season, the Jets have allowed a league-low 2.9 yards per carry (which Rex will gladly tell you), but they're also allowing opposing passers to complete 60% of their passes for an 93 rating. How good is your defense, really, if you can't stop the pass in a passing league? Saying you "have the best run defense in the league" is tantamount to saying you have the shiniest leather helmet in the league. As far as the offensive game-plan, which has gone progressively backward as the season has worn on, the fact that we can discount Rex's involvement in it at all speaks to how useless he is overall.

Motivation:

C: Sky high one week; dirt-low the next. For a .500 team to act like an entitled bunch of contenders after their wins--and to get blown out because of it--speaks to how poorly the team is being handled. That said, getting them up off the mat after crushing losses earns Rex some credit.

Player development:

F: Why does Dee Milliner look like Kyle Wilson? Why does Brian Winters look like Vlad Ducasse? Why does Geno Smith look like Mark Sanchez? Why does every young player who comes into this environment look exactly like a previous failed draft pick that came in under Rex? Is it because--in an astonishing coincidence--every non-DL player the Jets draft has similar neuroses? Possible, but not likely.

Implementing Discipline:

F: Santonio Holmes walks these halls unchecked. It took Joe McKnight showing up with an Oxy addiction to finally get Rex to hold him accountable. Players commit penalties over and over again with no internal discipline set upon them. Sanchez was never held accountable for his bad play and neither has Geno Smith. At the end of the day, Rex wants to be voted Most Popular, and his team tunes him out because of it.

Overall Leadership:

F: If you like defensive line play, Rex is the leader for you. But if you want any other players to respond to you; if you want assistant coaches to prepare your team; if you want someone to develop your draft class and attract free agents and guarantee a consistent, respectable, professional, winning product, Rex is the opposite of the guy you need.

motivation: according to players i say he gets a B

development: C (some players have developed well and other haven't so he gets an average grade

discipline: D (i'm going by the alarming number of penalties here

leadership: C (players want to play for him, but the team has been failing because he can't figure out how to be a leader that can have some say in the offense also)

There are many facets to a head coach's job. If you limit it to these five, what grades would you give him?

Motivation:

Player development:

Implementing Discipline:

Overall Leadership:

Motivation: B+ I have seen teams quit on the likes of Joe Walton, Coslet, Pete Carroll, Al Groh. I don't think in the five years Rex has been here I have see this team quit on Rex, other than Holmes.

Player Development: Defense I give him an B+. Done good jobs with Mo, Snacks, Richardson, Demario Davis failed with Kyle Wilson, Gholston,

Offense I give him an F-: The only two guys I can think of that have improved under Rex might be Kerley and Greene and Greene

is no longer there.

Overall Grade C

Discipline: C (Although if you go by neckdemon's thoughts on penalties I would give him a D as well) 

Overall: I give him a B-. When he has had talent on the offensive side of the football he was able to guide this team to two AFC title games and was probably an "A" coach. Since 2011 though the talent has dropped on the offensive side so badly, not just at QB but at RB, WR, TE and Offensive line that it would be hard to give him higher than a D and the only reason it isn't an F is that even with that offense he was able to coach this team to wins over NE, NO and what alot of people thought was going to be a very good Atlanta team.

Let's not forget this IS a team that is rebuilding and is still not very good. The secondary stinks, There is not one WR, TE or RB that teams have to worrry about, (Heck even Jacksonville has MJD) and the QB has gone from awful to beyond awful right now. 

There are many facets to a head coach's job. If you limit it to these five, what grades would you give him?

Motivation:

Player development:

Implementing Discipline:

Overall Leadership:

Motivation, I give Rex a B, I think his players generally play hard for him.

Player development, this has to be split between offense and defense, on the defensive side he has to be given credit to some extent, I would give him a B, on the offensive side it's an F- if that is possible.

Discipline, D-

Overall Leadership, D-, franchise cannot win in the modern NFL with defense and running game alone.

Motivation:

Player development:

Implementing Discipline:

Overall Leadership:

A - top notch

A - nobody better

B - if they've got it, he'll find it

C - keeps it loose, could improve here

A - Top 3 HC in the league

Preparation of the team on a week to week basis/Game-planning: C Good - but inconsistent.

Motivation: C Although he gets the team to play hard for him at times, it has never been consistent.

Player development: D If its not 6 inches infront of his face, he will miss it. He has no creativity and there seems to be no chance for bench players to ever play their way onto the field

Implementing Discipline: D Hard to give him higher than this when we have so many penalty issues every year.

Overall Leadership: D Again, hard to give him higher than this when there always seems to be rifts in the locker room, and players like Sanchez and Holmes acting like morons.

Done.

A - top notch

A - nobody better

B - if they've got it, he'll find it

C - keeps it loose, could improve here

A - Top 3 HC in the league

WOW, Woody and Izzy better open up the checkbook, because if he is top 3 , I believe that the top 2 Peyton, and Bellichick are in the 6 mill/year range.

Seems strange that a top 3 HC in the league is basically a .500 coach, no better than his two predecessors who rather getting paid an astronomical amount were ceremoniously shown the door.

Next time I am up for a raise at my Job, I want you as my advocate.

Motivation:  B- 

Player development:  C

Implementing Discipline: C

Overall Leadership: B-

The grades are skewed because the defense  side of the ball is good but the offensive,  game management and decision making is below par

Motivation:

Player development:

Implementing Discipline:

Overall Leadership:

Preparation/game planning C - Doesn't make adjustments well to other teams. Motivation C-, Seems to get the team to play hard every OTHER week. Nothing is consistent. Player Development - F. Look at Kyle Wilson, Dee Milliner and the entire secondary which sucks. Implementing Discipline - A. Players don't snipe at each other in the media, but the enormous amount of penalties is troubling. Overall Leadership - F. Sanchez tattoo shows he knows little or nothing about being a leader of men. I bring up penalties as well and Rex has a penchant for 'forgiving' mental errors to a fault. Rex is what he is - half a HC. I think I have been more than fair considering I don't like the guy. I just don't see him as the HC to lead the Jets to SB.  I don't know who can, but I know Rex can't.

I am not going to jump in on the ratings, but to the extent you guys are using penalties as proof of a lack of discipline I do not think it is fair.  The team has been pretty good with penalties during Ryan's time here.  I don't know about the whole time, but I think they were third least penalized last season.  They are super young now, with a bunch of new starters, a rookie QB, new offensive system and a RG that was available primarily because he is a penalty machine.  

Motivation:

Player development:

Implementing Discipline:

Overall Leadership:

Preparation: D

Rex is a one-tricky pony, if that trick doesn't work, we get embarrassed. Other teams in the league routinely dress Rex's team down by out-wildcating him, by out-groud&pounding him, and by out-defensing him.

Motivation: C

One week he has them high as the sky, the next week they are flat ass dogs. Bipolar at best, just like he seems to be in his emotions.

Player development: D-

The players he has that are good, were that way when he arrived as coach, or were that way when they arrived here. Revis got better with Rex, and so did Pouha and Cro (though he's gone right back to being awful). I cannot thing of any other players that trended towards improving under Rex, but there's a long list that have gotten worse or didn't show any improvement at all.

Discipline: F

He plays favorites, he praises failure, he makes nobody accountable including himself, and players seem to have walked all over him in the past. He's been a bit better maybe this year, but he's still the "cool dad" to his players, and the "schoolyard bully wimp" or "paper tiger" to his opponents.

Overall leadership: D

What I said about accountability up above.

Motivation:  B- 

Player development:  C

Implementing Discipline: C

Overall Leadership: B-

The grades are skewed because the defense  side of the ball is good but the offensive,  game management and decision making is below par

Tom asked about Rex as a HEAD COACH - so you can un-skew your grades, because you seem to have misunderstood the question. :P

C-: It's undeniable that he can occasionally cook up a great defensive scheme that can screw up even the best quarterbacks, but not with any consistency. As great as it is to stifle Drew Brees and Tom Brady, it's equally as appalling to get toasted in subsequent weeks by Jake Locker and EJ Manuel. For the season, the Jets have allowed a league-low 2.9 yards per carry (which Rex will gladly tell you), but they're also allowing opposing passers to complete 60% of their passes for an 93 rating. How good is your defense, really, if you can't stop the pass in a passing league? Saying you "have the best run defense in the league" is tantamount to saying you have the shiniest leather helmet in the league. As far as the offensive game-plan, which has gone progressively backward as the season has worn on, the fact that we can discount Rex's involvement in it at all speaks to how useless he is overall.

Motivation:

C: Sky high one week; dirt-low the next. For a .500 team to act like an entitled bunch of contenders after their wins--and to get blown out because of it--speaks to how poorly the team is being handled. That said, getting them up off the mat after crushing losses earns Rex some credit.

Player development:

F: Why does Dee Milliner look like Kyle Wilson? Why does Brian Winters look like Vlad Ducasse? Why does Geno Smith look like Mark Sanchez? Why does every young player who comes into this environment look exactly like a previous failed draft pick that came in under Rex? Is it because--in an astonishing coincidence--every non-DL player the Jets draft has similar neuroses? Possible, but not likely.

Implementing Discipline:

F: Santonio Holmes walks these halls unchecked. It took Joe McKnight showing up with an Oxy addiction to finally get Rex to hold him accountable. Players commit penalties over and over again with no internal discipline set upon them. Sanchez was never held accountable for his bad play and neither has Geno Smith. At the end of the day, Rex wants to be voted Most Popular, and his team tunes him out because of it.

Overall Leadership:

F: If you like defensive line play, Rex is the leader for you. But if you want any other players to respond to you; if you want assistant coaches to prepare your team; if you want someone to develop your draft class and attract free agents and guarantee a consistent, respectable, professional, winning product, Rex is the opposite of the guy you need.

Motivation-you cannot allow your team to hold a parade after every win.Saw it with Edwards; there is little focus on the task ahead in all the barely-contained manic celebration. That does not work. Mangini being a joyless prick doesn't either, but there is no balance here at all.

As great as it is to stifle Drew Brees and Tom Brady, it's equally as appalling to get toasted in subsequent weeks by Jake Locker and EJ Manuel. For the season, the Jets have allowed a league-low 2.9 yards per carry (which Rex will gladly tell you), but they're also allowing opposing passers to complete 60% of their passes for an 93 rating. How good is your defense, really, if you can't stop the pass in a passing league?

No team in the history of the NFL has ever put together a decent pass defense without Darrelle Revis.

Geno Smith was a top 10 pick who dropped out of rd 1. The fact that he isn't developing under Rex isn't necessarily an indictment of Rex. this is a player the whole league passed on and we are seeing why first hand.

people make these statements like so and so was a bad pick  not all drafts are created equal.

ok  who would be better? Like the Jets would be awesome if only they drafted Gavin Escobar. 

These 2 posts pretty much sum it up for me. I think he needs to go . IMO this is the most undisciplined team in the NFL and it shows on Sunday's.

Motivation:

Player development:

Implementing Discipline:

Overall Leadership:

Preparation: D

Rex is a one-tricky pony, if that trick doesn't work, we get embarrassed. Other teams in the league routinely dress Rex's team down by out-wildcating him, by out-groud&pounding him, and by out-defensing him.

Motivation: C

One week he has them high as the sky, the next week they are flat ass dogs. Bipolar at best, just like he seems to be in his emotions.

Player development: D-

The players he has that are good, were that way when he arrived as coach, or were that way when they arrived here. Revis got better with Rex, and so did Pouha and Cro (though he's gone right back to being awful). I cannot thing of any other players that trended towards improving under Rex, but there's a long list that have gotten worse or didn't show any improvement at all.

Discipline: F

He plays favorites, he praises failure, he makes nobody accountable including himself, and players seem to have walked all over him in the past. He's been a bit better maybe this year, but he's still the "cool dad" to his players, and the "schoolyard bully wimp" or "paper tiger" to his opponents.

Overall leadership: D

What I said about accountability up above.

here's how I judge the HC of the NYJ

do they play hard for 60 minutes ?  for the most part yes.  buffalo was a no-show.  so..... B+

do they commit fewer penalties than the other guys ?  umm no.  30th out of 32....  F

do they turn it over less then the other guys ?  umm no 32nd out of 32....F

do they look good in the last 2 minutes of the half/game ?   lol.  the offense goes 3 and out, then the defense gives up the score......F

throw in the coaches challenge and never having 3 TO's because of constant substitution problems, and he's dead man walking

oh I forgot he ruined 2 young QB's

Archived