get ready for Geno/Vick competition. Shefter

eboozer

NFL Rumors: New York Jets to be in on Michael Vick

By Bryan Rose - Mar 2nd, 2014 at 3:27 pm

The New York Jets seemed content with Geno Smith when the 2013 started – but that confidence quickly wained as Smith looked terrible during his rookie season.

Granted, yes, it was his freshman campaign and improvement is likely but the Jets simply can’t afford to wait on Smith, which is why they’re expected to be in on free agent quarterback Michael Vick – this according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter who made the comments on the Ross Tucker Podcast.

“I don’t expect Michael Vick to be back in Philadelphia,” said Schefter. “And then he’s gonna have to decide what’s the best circumstance for him moving forward. I think the Jets will be in play. I definitely think the Jets will have some level of interest in Michael Vick. Definitely.”

You get that, folks? Definitely.

Of course, the Jets aren’t going to be the only team with interest in Vick as others – like the Oakland Raiders – are expected to show interest in the free agent signal caller as well.

Vick has given no indication as to where he’d like to play.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some on this board despise Vick for his torture and murder of dogs. And as a dog owner and lover, I also believe in 2nd chances, of which I have received. Vick was given a stiff sentence, which he served, and has tried to make amends for his actions. I know the media attention will be crazy, but if he can still play to a high level, and the Jets feel he can bring something to the team, and the other players in the locker room are OK with him... I say give him a shot.

Just not sure I see it. I get the obvious draw with his former OC, but it seems like Vick is going to want to go somewhere where he is the clear cut favorite to be the starting QB from day 1 and regardless of what some say on here, so long as the competition is even close, Geno is going to win it. If the competition is close or even slightly favors Vick, the FO is not going to give it to a soon to be 34 year old stop gap instead of their 23 year old sophomore QB, who's on a 2nd round rookie contract. He should go somewhere like Oakland or Jacksonville where his biggest competition will be a rookie, should they even draft a rookie in the first round.  

I'll welcome the competition, even though I dislike him and think he's washed up, but I'm just not sure I see it happening. 

a member of the media making a statement that will get attention

shocking

Shefter is pretty spot on. He loves his job, the NFL and I think he has excellent sources. I don't think he's an attention whore

The Vick circus, the Vick circus!!

The only way to provide this team with: (1) a veteran QB that knows MM's system, (2) who has experience as a "running" QB, and (3) will be instantly jeered more than Geno...is to sign Michael Vick.  

Signing Michael Vick would in one stroke, rally the fans behind Geno while shielding him from the naysayers, because there would be a bigger villain in town.   

Josh McCown, Vick will want more money and multi year.

I think McCown will be in more demand than Vick. Many teams will avoid him. MM makes us a natural landing spot for him, as long as he's willing to take Idzik's offer. Can't see him being paid more than $4 mil/yr. 3 yr. deal. VCut him loose after yr. 2 if need be.

He's always been well regarded among his peers.

The Vick circus, the Vick circus!!

The only way to provide this team with: (1) a veteran QB that knows MM's system, (2) who has experience as a "running" QB, and (3) will be instantly jeered more than Geno...is to sign Michael Vick.  

Signing Michael Vick would in one stroke, rally the fans behind Geno while shielding him from the naysayers, because there would be a bigger villain in town.   

LOL, that's a good point. Maybe Vick is exactly what the Jets need to get Jets fans to support Geno.

Sanchez is a bad QB. Vick > Sanchez, McCown, Hil etc.

Don't let your dislike of the man cloud your perception of his talent.

He can still win you games.

He'll lose in a competition with Geno. He's athletically gifted, perhaps, but he's not a good QB. A career 80.9 passer rating? That's worse Geno's last four games last year, fwiw. I'd like competition for Geno, but I just don't see Vick being that. He's not good. He's definitely not good enough to overcome his baggage.

Don't let his singular good season cloud your perception.

Sanchez is a bad QB. Vick > Sanchez, McCown, Hil etc.

Don't let your dislike of the man cloud your perception of his talent.

He can still win you games.

He was 2-4 last year on a team that went 10-6.  In 2012 he was 3-7.  He can win you games, but he'll lose you 2 for every one he wins.

He'll lose in a competition with Geno. He's athletically gifted, perhaps, but he's not a good QB. A career 80.9 passer rating? That's worse Geno's last four games last year, fwiw. I'd like competition for Geno, but I just don't see Vick being that. He's not good. He's definitely not good enough to overcome his baggage.

Don't let his singular good season cloud your perception.

Fair enough.... we disagree.

Hey, I hope Geno becomes "the man" and ends this revolving door of poor QB play. I agree with many here that we take another QB like Mettlinberg, Fales, Murray etc. in the later rds. and every year from here on out until we find "the man" Until then, I'm also open to getting one in FA as long as it makes sense.

Vick makes sense from a scheme standpoint.... He can still back up Geno in a system he's familiar with if he can't beat him outright in camp.... He's better than Garrard.

Archived