Fluff piece on Garoppolo. Jets certainly showing interest.

eboozer

http://thejetpress.com/2014/03/06/scouting-nfl-draft-qb-jimmy-garoppolo/

It may be under one week until the free agency period begins, but we also cannot lose sight of the other major endeavor that occurs every spring. What is that? The NFL draft.

We know John Idzik’s mantra: “competition”. We know he is going to do his due diligence on every player available. If he really wants someone, he is going to work quite hard on it. Look at this tweet from our good buddy, Jake Steinberg, from “the Jets Blog”:

Meeting with a player on three separate occasions shows an interest that is more than casual. Three meetings are only held for a player that a team is serious about. Are the Jets having doubts about Geno Smith? Or are they simply looking for competition? Either way, let’s take a look at the player of interest, Jimmy Garoppolo, QB from Eastern Illinois.

Here are his career stats from Eastern Illinois:

PASSING STATS

SEASON TEAM G ATT COMP YDS INT TDS SACKED RATING

2010-11 Eastern Illinois 8 211 124 1639 13 14 18 133.6

2011-12 Eastern Illinois 11 349 217 2644 14 20 28 136.7

2012-13 Eastern Illinois 12 540 331 3823 15 31 29 134.2

2013-14 Eastern Illinois 12 492 320 4489 8 48 15 170.6

TOTAL 43 1592 992 12595 50 113 90 145.9

Garoppolo turned in a decent performance at the Combine. He ran the 40 in 4.97 seconds, and led the position in the 3-cone drill with a performance of 7.06 seconds. He jumped a 30.5 inch vertical jump, and 110 inches in the broad jump.

NFL.com says he is a quarterback that “…Possesses the physical tools to eventually earn an NFL starting job in a rhythm passing game with continued refinement, but is more of a caretaker than a game changer and will require some patience adapting to the NFL game.”

Let’s see if we agree with that assessment by taking a look at some film.

PROS: The first thing I noticed was his strong-arm. Jimmy can make all of the throws, all over the football field. He can shuffle around the pocket, all the while keeping his eyes down field, which is a huge trait necessary to make it in this league. He can throw guys open, hitting his spots accurately, and he has an excellent touch on the ball.

CONS: Until he gets the chance to prove otherwise, coming from a smaller school will always leave the question of competition. At Eastern Illinois, he’s not exactly coming from Ohio State, if you know what I mean. Although he keeps his eyes down the field nicely, sometimes those eyes lock onto one receiver. Garoppolo can get away with that at the college level, but pro level defensive backs are far too astute to let that happen.

The bottom line for me goes a couple of ways. For one, he is more than a “game manager”, his arm is too strong. I do agree with the NFL assessment, however, when it talks about him needing time to develop into an NFL starter. He will have to shed the habit of staring down his receiver. Doing that will go a long way to making Jimmy a credible NFL starter.

He would be a good value in the middle rounds. But, will bringing in young competition bring out the best in Geno Smith? I am not so sure. The Jets might be better served attacking the QB depth chart in free agency.

But the Jets could do worse than taking Garoppolo in the 3rd-4th round.

Topics: 2014 Nfl Draft, Eastern Illinois University, Jimmy Garoppolo, New York Jets

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's there with one of our 3rds, we're taking him.

But as of right now, I don't think he'll be there.

this is the story, he's gonna go late 1 early 2 and it won't be an issue for Idzik, who will be looking at prospects of value. 

CONS: supposed to be very good with a knife

PROS: but only in matters of business, or some sort of reasonable complaint

LOL

At their dinner meeting in downtown Charleston, he recommended that Rex to try the veal.  He felt it was the best in the city.

FWIW, Matt Williamson just did a pretty thorough breakdown of Garoppolo and it was less than enthusiastic. FWIW. The phrase "sees phantom pressure" was used.

Every year there's some middling QB prospect that gets so terribly over-hyped a month or two before the draft, because the internet scouting community didn't know who they were until they heard or saw and NFL team looking at them.  This year's Garoppolo. It seems he's got some developmental ability, which is definitely a plus, but this idea that some dude from Eastern Illinois is just going to waltz in and take over the job starting week 1 is absurd.  

What happens when you have your boy Jeff Matthews as well as Garoppolo sitting their in the third, when then do you do? It's like your personal Sophie's choice.

Look, I love my boy Jeff Mathews but he is a 5-7th round prospect. Garrapolo will be long gone by the 3rd, so if the Jets are still searching for a QB come the 5th, then my boy from Cornell is the pick, OBVIOUSLY.

Every year there's some middling QB prospect that gets so terribly over-hyped a month or two before the draft, because the internet scouting community didn't know who they were until they heard or saw and NFL team looking at them.  This year's Garoppolo. It seems he's got some developmental ability, which is definitely a plus, but this idea that some dude from Eastern Illinois is just going to waltz in and take over the job starting week 1 is absurd.

Tony Romo?

Tony Romo?

Pretty sure Romo didn't start until mid-way into the season of his 2nd or third year due to either Bledsoe sucking or being hurt.  I have absolutely zero problems with the Jets drafting Garoppolo, Hell, I've been pulling for them to draft Mettenberger for over a year. However, the notion that one of them is going to come into the NFL, pick up this offense and beat out a guy who's already been in the same exact system for a year, is not realistic.  Maybe one of these rookies do it by mid-season or maybe it takes a year, that I'm totally okay with. I just think it's unreasonable to expect the world out of some of these guys who aren't Andrew Luck.  It will help conversations a year from now when people are already willing to give up on Garoppolo because he couldn't unseat Geno or sh*t the bed in a handful of games.

Pretty sure Romo didn't start until mid-way into the season of his 2nd or third year due to either Bledsoe sucking or being hurt.  I have absolutely zero problems with the Jets drafting Garoppolo, Hell, I've been pulling for them to draft Mettenberger for over a year. However, the notion that one of them is going to come into the NFL, pick up this offense and beat out a guy who's already been in the same exact system for a year, is not realistic.  Maybe one of these rookies do it by mid-season or maybe it takes a year, that I'm totally okay with. I just think it's unreasonable to expect the world out of some of these guys who aren't Andrew Luck.  It will help conversations a year from now when people are already willing to give up on Garoppolo because he couldn't unseat Geno or sh*t the bed in a handful of games.

joewillie78 not realistic? Unreasonable? I think you're the one being unreasonably unrealistic here. Ten QBs in this years class will throw for over 3000 yards in their rookie seasons. Gonna be an exciting year.

joewillie78 not realistic? Unreasonable? I think you're the one being unreasonably unrealistic here. Ten QBs in this years class will throw for over 3000 yards in their rookie seasons. Gonna be an exciting year.

Ooh the number has been bumped up from 7 to 10 now?  Not surprised, it is the best QB draft in a decade and possibly ever.

Garoppolo and Manziel will still be there at #18.

Manziel is going to drop the same way Geno did.

If Evans is still there do the Jets take him or one of the QB's?

Evans, most assuredly!! 

Should have started much sooner. Way before Bledsoe. Another GREAT QB discovered by the one and only Bill Parcells, like Pennington, Simms, Hostetler, Vinny etc. Dude was a genious.

Doesn't mean he didn't benefit from sitting for a few years, Romo's career does nothing to help the case of Garoppolo hypothetically being able to be a successful week 1 started, because we have no idea what actually would have happened if Romo started from the beginning of his rookie season. Which is the point I was making.

If you're looking for a FCS week 1 starter at QB it's Joe Flacco, who has a completely different skill set than Garoppolo. And Flacco started his career at an FBS school unlike Jimmy G.

Garoppolo would be fine as a mid-round project, but I've heard way too many people say he's skittish in the pocket and as T0m referenced "sees phantom pressure". Not a trait I want in my QB.

Garoppolo and Manziel will still be there at #18.

Manziel is going to drop the same way Geno did.

If Evans is still there do the Jets take him or one of the QB's?

Depends on who else is on the board.  Outside of Teddy,  I haven't wanted to draft a QB in the first round since the year started and am still pretty firm behind that.  I think if Evans is rated higher than the other two by a decent enough margin, they'd take Evans.  Idzik and the FO mentioned that they wrestled with the idea of taking Geno at 13, but ultimately went with Richardson and they were in arguably worse QB shape at that point than we are now. So you get the feeling that they're going to stick by their board pretty much regardless of need.

Archived