Who starts more NFL games in 2014: Sanchez or Vick?

T0mShane

Thought this would be a good one for the archives, but who starts more games this year? There's some early buzz that Sanchez could go to either Cleveland or St Louis--both of whom have vulnerable QB slots--and we know the Jets situation. Who do you have?

Thought this would be a good one for the archives, but who starts more games this year? There's some early buzz that Sanchez could go to either Cleveland or St Louis--both of whom have vulnerable QB slots--and we know the Jets situation. Who do you have?

the plan is for Vick to start none, so I would say Sanchez has a shot--but neither will start on merit

If Vick is the starter week one, that means that Geno drastically under-performed this off-season. The organization clearly wants Geno to be the guy and unless he really sh*ts the bed, he'll be our opening day starter. So, I'll have to say that Mark will start more.  He'll latch on with Cleveland or another one of the scrub teams and make a spot start due to injury. He never came across as the sharpest crayon, so I doubt he'd pick up the offense and beat out Hoyer in just one off-season. However, I can see Hoyer getting knocked out of a game, be it injury or performance, and Sanchez getting the spot stat.

In a true competition, Vick at least start until week 6. Hopefully Geno will be on his heels at that time. If not, adios Vick, Geno stays in the bullpen and we go find someone else. Net gain of $6 million cap regardless.

Geno's stats the last four weeks of last season were better than Vick's career numbers. I don't think he'll be an easy out in a fair competition, and I'm not yet sold on the idea that it will be a fair competition. I think it's a lot better for the Jets long term if Geno wins the job. Either he wins it and succeeds, or the Jets go back and draft a QB high in 2015. If Geno doesn't get a shot this year, they might put drafting another QB high on hold until they let Geno play out.

I think Vick is a $5M insurance policy against Geno getting hurt or sucking, in that order.

For Mark, I'll wait and see where he winds up before chiming in.

i think they both start > 8

Better question, who has a better year stats wise?

Even if he proves to be the better QB and becomes the starter, Vick isn't making it through 8 games.

There's enough desperate teams out there with horrible QBs that Sanchez will go to a team that gives him a real shot, and he'll definitely get some serious playing time.  Meanwhile, the Jets are going to do everything in their power to have Geno be their guy.

Geno's stats the last four weeks of last season were better than Vick's career numbers. I don't think he'll be an easy out in a fair competition, and I'm not yet sold on the idea that it will be a fair competition. I think it's a lot better for the Jets long term if Geno wins the job. Either he wins it and succeeds, or the Jets go back and draft a QB high in 2015. If Geno doesn't get a shot this year, they might put drafting another QB high on hold until they let Geno play out.

I think Vick is a $5M insurance policy against Geno getting hurt or sucking, in that order.

Absolutely.  

I just don't see Smith out playing Vick in the preseason.  More then likely Smith will still get his chance in the long run, as the probability   of Vick getting hurt is  very high.

It might help Smith in the long run.  Take some pressure off him, and the boo birds off his back early in the season

I personally don't like Smith's accuracy or lack thereof but after starting for year,  he should not be affected by the pressure of a starting quality qb competing. If he feels "pressure" (at this point) he should be looking for another line of work.

So in other words If Mark winds up on a team loaded with offensive talent we could get a nice smack right in the chops

Absolutely.  

I just don't see Smith out playing Vick in the preseason.  More then likely Smith will still get his chance in the long run, as the probability   of Vick getting hurt is  very high.

It might help Smith in the long run.  Take some pressure off him, and the boo birds off his back early in the season

Correct. All this talk about what Geno did for the last four games against the dregs of the NFL is way overblown.  I heard some espn show state his QBR was inflated due to the rushing yards he gained during that stretch. 

In a fair competition Vick wins which makes me question Idzik's overall plan. The better long term scenario for the Jets would have been letting Geno either succeed or fail this year.

Losing a pre-season competition to Vick still leaves us wondering what we have in Geno.  I am only on board w/the Vick signing if we come out and name Geno the starter prior to camp. If he falls on his face again at least we gave him a season and a half or so to justify our moving on.  

Link? You are a moderator after all. Need to set a good example for the other students.

Not sure how a 4 game window can beat an entire career?

TD throws, Yds. Rushing, Completions, Passing Completions, Passing Yds...?

Did Vick ever have a 4 game window with incredible #'s? I bet he did!

Correct. All this talk about what Geno did for the last four games against the dregs of the NFL is way overblown.  I heard some espn show state his QBR was inflated due to the rushing yards he gained during that stretch. 

In a fair competition Vick wins which makes me question Idzik's overall plan. The better long term scenario for the Jets would have been letting Geno either succeed or fail this year.

Losing a pre-season competition to Vick still leaves us wondering what we have in Geno.  I am only on board w/the Vick signing if we come out and name Geno the starter prior to camp. If he falls on his face again at least we gave him a season and a half or so to justify our moving on.

Just don't agree. At the very least, it's not a given. Mike Vick completed 44% of his passes as a rookie for a 62.7 passer rating (worse than Geno), the next year, he managed a 55% completion rate, with an 81.6 QBR (which is better than his career number). Why can't Geno improve from his rookie year at a similar rate? Especially with potentially improved weapons to throw to?

Just don't agree. At the very least, it's not a given. Mike Vick completed 44% of his passes as a rookie for a 62.7 passer rating (worse than Geno), the next year, he managed a 55% completion rate, with an 81.6 QBR (which is better than his career number). Why can't Geno improve from his rookie year at a similar rate? Especially with potentially improved weapons to throw to?

I am not saying he might not improve if given a 2nd season in which to do so. I'm saying right now or in pre-season, Vick is the better QB much like Sanchez was last pre-season therefore Geno does not get a full 2nd season to show any growth.

The better move would have been to sign/trade for a QB who is not a threat to Geno. Then if Geno fails we move on comfortable in the fact we gave him an extended look.

This is just a silly signing unless Idzik is already convinced Geno is not the future.  

You couldn't have just added a poll to this thread?  :)

Archived