EVERYTHING CHRIS JOHNSON: MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

I, for one, don't think CJ is washed up by any means.  It's very difficult to run the ball when your QB and OL aren't very good. He may not be the player he was in 2009, but if he comes here... he's going to start

haven't posted in a long time, feels good

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think before he came to the facility the JETS the outline of the deal he would get was already agreed upon. Since JETS have all the leverage i wont be surprised if its a incentive laden 2 year deal with only 1.5 to 2 mill guaranteed. Now we need to find out if the JETS think he can be an addition to the team.

Cant see this being an a good "incentive laden contract" for either side...If CJ starts getting less touches it can cause a disturbance from his side not given the oppur to get his bonus. This contract you slightly overpay 9.5 mil over 2 yrs 5 mil guaranteed...the money is there...spend it.

Also...it takes from the top of that MUST SPEND cap lurking...and youre gonna have to overpay eventually.

To me, this changes our draft need order slightly...not acquiring a HR hitting WR in the 1st is NOT doom and gloom...well, around here it is regardless.

Then it's a meh signing that doesn't really improve the team that much and just adds to the rest of the off season that they came into with a terrible roster that they haven't improved nearly as much as they needed to.

Fair enough, but I think it'd be better to wait until the contract comes out, if he does sign, before you make a final judgement.  At the very worst, he's an upgrade over Powell and at the right price, is a decent get.  If Ivory goes down, which isn't out of the realm of possibilities, I'd be much more comfortable giving Johnson a big workload than Bilal.  I'd still like them to grab someone in the draft, but it's a decent move, we've needed to fill that LT role for a while. 

Fair enough, but I think it'd be better to wait until the contract comes out, if he does sign, before you make a final judgement.  At the very worst, he's an upgrade over Powell and at the right price, is a decent get.  If Ivory goes down, which isn't out of the realm of possibilities, I'd be much more comfortable giving Johnson a big workload than Bilal.  I'd still like them to grab someone in the draft, but it's a decent move, we've needed to fill that LT role for a while. 

The money is absolutely meaningless because they are 30 million dollars under the cap. Shhhh don't tell Idzik that though.

The money is absolutely meaningless because they are 30 million dollars under the cap. Shhhh don't tell Idzik that though.

$26ish, but I get what you're saying. Still, I don't think you should spend it just to spend it. The market for backs has been frigid, no reason to overpay, especially for a signing that you'd deem "meh."

I think before he came to the facility the JETS the outline of the deal he would get was already agreed upon. Since JETS have all the leverage i wont be surprised if its a incentive laden 2 year deal with only 1.5 to 2 mill guaranteed. Now we need to find out if the JETS think he can be an addition to the team.

Excellent point, ID-1 does seem to work like this, if Johnson leaves without a deal it would

be somewhat surprising and price drops again, Johnson could wait it out until as late as

September to more money, I remember the day when the Pats would have signed him but they believe

in rookies now, and they love their young playmakers for whatever reason.

$26ish, but I get what you're saying. Still, I don't think you should spend it just to spend it. The market for backs has been frigid, no reason to overpay, especially for a signing that you'd deem "meh."

I don't think slightly overpaying for Johnson is such a terrible thing. What you deem market value this year will change next year, especially if you're in a position of having to meet the cash floor coupled with the salary cap raise. In a way you're measuring Johnson's worth against a hypothetical free agent next year that you may have to overspend on. I think he's worth it especially considering  when talking about a contract that will be as small as this one. We're not talking about a five year deal at 7mil per. The "overspend" on a potential Johnson deal cannot possibly be more than one to three mil over the length of it. Hardly crippling when you've got 26 million in cap space.

He fills the "Ladainian" role. He provides a very viable backup if/when Ivory gets hurt. His reputation coupled with his breakaway potential will keep defenses honest and help Geno.

I say do it and worry about the one to three next year, if it comes to that. A cap guy like Idzik should be able to handle that, no?

I don't think slightly overpaying for Johnson is such a terrible thing. What you deem market value this year will change next year, especially if you're in a position of having to meet the cash floor coupled with the salary cap raise. In a way you're measuring Johnson's worth against a hypothetical free agent next year that you may have to overspend on. I think he's worth it especially considering that when talking about a contract that will be as small as this one. We're not talking about a five year deal at 7mil per. The "overspend" on a potential Johnson deal cannot possibly be more than a mil or two. Hardly crippling when you've got 26 million in cap space.

He fills the "Ladainian" role. He provides a very viable backup if/when Ivory gets hurt. His reputation coupled with his breakaway potential will keep defenses honest and help Geno.

I say do it and worry about the one to two next year. A cap guy like Idzik should be able to handle that, no?

While I don't disagree, it all depends on exactly what he's looking for and how the scouts view him compared to the incoming class. There's going to be a lot of RB talent sitting there in the 4th round when we have three picks.  

As far as his contract, I don't think giving him slightly above market value is terrible, considering it's been icy cold for backs. I just don't know what the value for him is compared to what he thinks it is. Of all the RB contracts handed out, the three highest carried averaged values of $3.5 million per and a length of about two or three years max.  I'd go as high as $4 for two-three years, but anything higher just seems like you're bidding against yourself. Is he really worth 50% more than Ben Tate or Rashad Jennings? I hope we sign him, it's actually a move I expect to get done.

Cant see this being an a good "incentive laden contract" for either side...If CJ starts getting less touches it can cause a disturbance from his side not given the oppur to get his bonus. This contract you slightly overpay 9.5 mil over 2 yrs 5 mil guaranteed...the money is there...spend it.

Also...it takes from the top of that MUST SPEND cap lurking...and youre gonna have to overpay eventually.

To me, this changes our draft need order slightly...not acquiring a HR hitting WR in the 1st is NOT doom and gloom...well, around here it is regardless.

Thats what a smart GM does. Always.

I don't think slightly overpaying for Johnson is such a terrible thing. What you deem market value this year will change next year, especially if you're in a position of having to meet the cash floor coupled with the salary cap raise. In a way you're measuring Johnson's worth against a hypothetical free agent next year that you may have to overspend on. I think he's worth it especially considering  when talking about a contract that will be as small as this one. We're not talking about a five year deal at 7mil per. The "overspend" on a potential Johnson deal cannot possibly be more than one to three mil over the length of it. Hardly crippling when you've got 26 million in cap space.

I say do it and worry about the one to three next year, if it comes to that. A cap guy like Idzik should be able to handle that, no?

How the **** can he fill the "Ladainian" role?  How on earth do you expect Charley Casserly to butcher the pronunciation of Chris Johnson? 

Thats what a smart GM does. Always.

Im not saying throw money around.

My point is youre better to throw a mil or 2 extra at CJ than possibly stirring the pot and having him upset that he isnt given the touches he needs to make said incentives. We know he isnt going to be a feature back as long as Ivory stays healthy...but Im willing to bet CJ's ego probably thinks it will sway his way once a returns to ALL WORLD form...and so be it.

But why create dissension that you dont need to...make him perfectly cost cuttable in year 2 or 3.

Please dont lump me in with the spend all the money gang...because Ive stated before i think Id is doing a better job than some give him credit for and I approve his method of franchise building.

Of course not. You're saying it's okay just this once. Which is the same thing everybody says when they're trying to convince you that you can build a good roster in the aggregate with moves that are bad individually through some sort of alchemy.

This is just a fundamental problem. Everybody seems to grasp that there's a right way of doing things, but ultimately this is entertainment, and entertainment is about instant gratification, not incremental growth.

This should just get done. It's an obvious move to make. It's guaranteed to be low commit and cost because NFL and RB, it's a position that translates relatively easy, getting an established horse at 28...Plus, while no doubt a good RB will come out of this draft it isn't exactly a world beating draft class at the position.

Of course not. You're saying it's okay just this once.

Im saying different players with differently abilities get different treatment.

You would have me believe that Marshawn Lynch using his Escalade as a bulldozer in Buffalo isnt a concern and his trade was a 100% success rate at the time?

Or that the Seahawks didnt overpay for Percy Harvin?

Do you think D Pattersons contract isnt slightly over market value because of need? I do.

What CJ offers (which I acknowledge some think is debatable) TO ME, is worth over spending 1-2 mil to keep him content with the possible lack of touches he may feel is preventing him from his incentives...THATS ALL.

Wow, it seems the die hard pro Idzik method crowd has become just a radical as the anti Idzik method crowd.

Just for perspective, if Idzik does get Johnson he would have signed the best WR available, the best QB available, and the best RB available during this free agency period. There were a lot of people freaking out during this free agency period, but if the beginning of the free agency you were told (stoic) that we would sign those guys you would be happy. Yes, he missed out on some defensive players that would have been useful, but it is pretty obvious that Idzik is not going to reach, and maybe that is better.

FWIW, Desean Jackson became the #1 FA WR when he was cut. Regardless, no, I wouldn't  have been and won't be happy with just that.

My point is youre better to throw a mil or 2 extra at CJ than possibly stirring the pot and having him upset that he isnt given the touches he needs to make said incentives. We know he isnt going to be a feature back as long as Ivory stays healthy...but Im willing to bet CJ's ego probably thinks it will sway his way once a returns to ALL WORLD form...and so be it.

But why create dissension that you dont need to...make him perfectly cost cuttable in year 2 or 3.

Please dont lump me in with the spend all the money gang...because Ive stated before i think Id is doing a better job than some give him credit for and I approve his method of franchise building.

Incentives are always a good thing. If CJ0.5k is totally killing the defenses, there is no reason for him to be on the bench, but if money is not a good enough motivation and he is getting 2-3 yards a carry, then he can continue to b*tch from the bench n Jets can release him at will. Knowing that he'll get more carries and more money with better performance, he'll be highly motivated.

FWIW, Desean Jackson became the #1 FA WR when he was cut. Regardless, no, I wouldn't  have been and won't be happy with just that.

Based on what? Decker has been more consistent over his career than Jackson. You can say that was because of Peyton Manning, but the eagles were supposed to be prolific themselves, especially with Vick. Jackson is Holmes Jr., whiny me guy who hasn't been overly productive in his career but everyone seems to think he has. I was not upset that we didn't sign him and don't mind going into the draft with the deepest WR pool in years. Plus Jackson's contract was a half million more/year than Decker's when you average it out.

Wow, it seems the die hard pro Idzik method crowd has become just a radical as the anti Idzik method crowd.

Not sure if I want Johnson or not, but I don't think it's radical to argue that it doesn't make sense to pay guys that aren't necessary. What can Johnson bring to a crowded backfield and an offense that is still going to have the line stacked against it every week? Maybe 3, 4 extra plays that a 4th or 5th rounder or Powell couldn't get us? Is that worth an extra couple mill per year?

When we signed Decker, he was the best available WR, not Desean, who wasn't a FA at the time. DeSean's middle name is "Trouble" and if u spell is name backwards, it spells "Santonio Holmes, V.2.0"

Physical not standard procedure unless the framework of a contract are in place. You don't just go take physicals everytime you visit a facility...there is usually a contractual framework already set up, pass the physical and then you get signed...usually.

LL

Archived