Sammy Watkins anyone?

Cmartin

NFL.com alluded to the notion this past week that Jeff Fisher and the Rams may be willing to move out of the number two spot on draft day. The Jets have enough picks to trade in order to move into that slot. Sammy Watkins anyone?

I do not expect trades before the draft. But sometimes during the draft a team higher up with a NEED may not mind trading down without getting complete value when they know the player they are targeting will be available lower down the order.

Case in point last years draft Dolphins traded up with the Raiders all the way to the No. 3 overall pick for  No. 12 overall pick and the No. 42 overall pick in the swap. I do not think that evens out in the draft value charts. But Raiders desperately wanted to trade down and get more picks. They settled for less than fair value.

The good thing in this draft is there are many QB needy teams in the Top 10 that may not see a QB prospect available where they pick that is worthy of a Top 10 pick and they may want to trade down desperately because they could still get the same QB lower down and add a Top 90 pick.

So there is a possibility the JETS could trade up with the likes of Vikings if Sammy Watkins is still available without giving up the house. But even that slim possibility can only come into play once the clock starts ticking.

Guys, Sammy Watkins makes us instant contenders.  Without him we have no hope this season.  Get it done Woody!

Obviously not. But if he were to fall to 7-8 I think the Jets would consider it. Having Sammy Watkins on the roster would not be a negative. 

Obviously not. But if he were to fall to 7-8 I think the Jets would consider it. Having Sammy Watkins on the roster would not be a negative. 

If he starts to fall, no question.  Don't think you can give up 2 1s and a 2 for him, which is what it would probably take to go from 18 to 2.

If he drops to 7-8, I would be looking at the possibility of trading up for him. This draft is deep with receivers, but Sammy Watkins is probably the only one that you could insert into your lineup and feel confident that he's a long-term starter from day 1. He's the closest thing to a sure bet. After years with a terrible offense, it would be a sight for sore eyes to see Watkins, Decker and Kerley out there together.

If Cooks made a catch in tight coverage once in his whole life he'd be going top 50.

Cooks is going in the first round, so I'm not sure I see the argument you're making. People were saying the same thing aboout Jackson coming out of Cal, but I bet teams doing it over would take him over Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas, James Hardy and whomever else was taken before him. I've liked Cooks, Lee and Beckham for a couple years now and I would take every one of them at 18 without hesitation. I like Sammy as much as the next guy, but I'm not seeing him as some elite WR that's a cut above everyone else. 

NFL.com alluded to the notion this past week that Jeff Fisher and the Rams may be willing to move out of the number two spot on draft day. The Jets have enough picks to trade in order to move into that slot. Sammy Watkins anyone?

I didn't know Jets had two first round picks. Blimey!

Im sure the Rams would love to have our 4th round picks and move an eternity away from the 2nd overall pick.

Archived