Anyone else think Woody will blow this? - Woody says he will! (Merged)

Ex-Rex

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is this news? He said that Monday. He's the Owner. He'll listen to the new GM. Obviously Casserly / Wolf have also already given insight on HC candidates. I'm sure part of the GM interview process is who that GM would like as his HC.

That's all well and good but it isn't what he said.  He said it clearly that he may or may not wait for the GM before he makes this decision.  

“If that comes first, I’ll definitely do that.”

Even with proven NFL consultants on board with Woody, I hear they are lining up head coaching candidates while they still lack a general manager. Head coach is something that should not even be SPOKEN about until the team has hired a GM. Then you get the f out of his way and let him bring in the coach. I understand that Woody's parents were first cousins so that may help to explain his idiocy. He is simply retarded. I hope I am wrong, but this guy scares the sh*t out of me when it comes to making important decisions regarding the team. 

Wrong. Woody is doing his due diligence. 

Right...about you being wrong. 

Nothing wrong with what Woody said, but your thread title is certainly misleading. The new HC will be on Woody's payroll so he would be the one hiring him with the new GMs opinion. What if the new GM says he wants to hire Rich Kotite? Woody essentially said he will have to be ok with the new HC and his thinking. 

Not my thread title... talk to the boys at thejetblog.com to register a complaint.

Don't shoot the naïve messenger

yeah, but any GM worth his salt is going to want to have full control.. meddlesome owners are a major detractor cause woody doesn't have the skill set required to pick the right person... the fact that the last GM didn't either is besides the point... in any business really.. worked once for a privately owned ecommerce company, owner was a medical dr and thought he knew ecommerce better then people who have been doing it their whole life, results were predictable, high exec turnover, company was never profitable

Woody Dolan is the antichrist

It doesn't matter when he said it (or if he meant it literally, whatever the **** that means). It's a dumb thing to say and a dumb way to do business and our best hope is that Casserly and Wolf beat some sense into him before any actual decisions get made.

People need to relax and think about this whole process. I'm guessing it's not going to be a surprise to Woody when the name is presented to him. He's involved w/C & W in all these interviews.

yeah, but any GM worth his salt is going to want to have full control.. meddlesome owners are a major detractor cause woody doesn't have the skill set required to pick the right person... the fact that the last GM didn't either is besides the point...  in any business really.. worked once for a privately owned ecommerce company, owner was a medical dr and thought he knew ecommerce better then people who have been doing it their whole life, results were predictable, high exec turnover, company was never profitable

We are speaking to hiring a Coach (or a GM). The thread title says it would be Woody's final decision. As it should.

Football personnel matters should be the GM and coaches decision, with tacit input and approval from an owner.

How many hookers do you think I've killed exactly?

Let's just say your car was seen in the Oak Beach area quite a bit before the bodies were found, not so much since.

If I spend hundreds of millions of dollars on business, you know what, I am going to make sure I have the final say in decisions that are major. 

Do I receive council? Of course But the final decision should lay with the one who signs the checks.

I know people hate to hear that, but Woody has earned that.

Woody should have final say on the GM hire, trust that he did the right thing, and then let his GM hire the next head coach without his interference.

words hurt blatesman

dbutt

I love the fact people pick up on the dumbest things. Of course he's signing the coach. He is the owner. Buttttttttttt he's using wolf and casserly and the new GM to advise him which is all that matters really. Grow up please. Don't hsvevto be literal about everything.

Ther is no "of course he's signing the coach." Any decent GM offers the job not the owner.

That's all well and good but it isn't what he said.  He said it clearly that he may or may not wait for the GM before he makes this decision.  

Fortunately for us all the good coaching candidates(& some GM candidates also) are involved in the playoffs. We get another week to get our GM installed..... then hire the coach(as it should be

Nothing wrong with what Woody said, but your thread title is certainly misleading. The new HC will be on Woody's payroll so he would be the one hiring him with the new GMs opinion. What if the new GM says he wants to hire Rich Kotite? Woody essentially said he will have to be ok with the new HC and his thinking. 

Sure it could be that, but in context it didn't sound like that's what he meant.

There are other - and better - ways of saying he's not going to let a new GM hire just anyone. One way of doing that is to reveal/say nothing about the process. 

Sure it could be that, but in context it didn't sound like that's what he meant.

There are other - and better - ways of saying he's not going to let a new GM hire just anyone. One way of doing that is to reveal/say nothing about the process. 

Did you steal that line from Mangini??

Fortunately for us all the good coaching candidates(& some GM candidates also) are involved in the playoffs. We get another week to get our GM installed..... then hire the coach(as it should be

Agreed, but the concern is bigger than who will ultimately get input - it's just that he clearly hasn't learning anything and still thinks this way.  It's very concerning for the long term future of the entire organization.

People need to stop being part of the "word police".  An owner of any corporate entity

will always have final say on a high level hire.  Stop looking to bash Woody when

NOTHING has been done or decided other than preliminary interviews being set up

Agreed.  These vocal owners rarely win.    Atlanta, Jets, Dallas ..historically vocal meddling owners. Never seem to get to the top.

I think Arthur Blank stays out of the football side of things. The other 2 + Cleveland, Miami, Indianapolis(BIG TIME)TB, Redskins and Raiders can be added to that list!

We are speaking to hiring a Coach (or a GM). The thread title says it would be Woody's final decision. As it should.

Football personnel matters should be the GM and coaches decision, with tacit input and approval from an owner.

neigh... woddy final say on GM, GM final say on coach.. Only way someone worthy will take the job..

Just equate it to business.. If you are get job offer for CTO, but don't have the final say on who your lead developer is because your owner signs the checks, would you take job? Can't succeed as CTO with a bad lead developer just like you can't succeed as GM with a bad coach

in b4 last line is quoted

That's all well and good but it isn't what he said. He said it clearly that he may or may not wait for the GM before he makes this decision.

Again. Think about the whole process. C & W have done prep work on GMs / Coaches. Guessing part of that is who that GM wants as their HC. Read the Scott McGlughan article. He was writing down coaches he would want if he was hired. C & W have gone over prospective candidates w/Woody already.

People need to stop being part of the "word police".  An owner of any corporate entity

will always have final say on a high level hire.  Stop looking to bash Woody when

NOTHING has been done or decided other than preliminary interviews being set up

How can you say that?  

It's simply not true.  The way the business world works is a superior hires senior management - he steps back and allows that senior manager to build and manage his own team. 

Again. Think about the whole process. C & W have done prep work on GMs / Coaches. Guessing part of that is who that GM wants as their HC. Read the Scott McGlughan article. He was writing down coaches he would want if he was hired. C & W have gone over prospective candidates w/Woody already.

Are you saying that based on interviewing the GM they'll know who he wants to hire and make that hire before actually hiring said GM?  doesn't make sense.

All I'm saying is Woody made it VERY clear that he's going to hire the new HC and the timing of the GM is not necessarily relevant to that process.

Are you saying that based on interviewing the GM they'll know who he wants to hire and make that hire before actually hiring said GM?  doesn't make sense.

All I'm saying is Woody made it VERY clear that he's going to hire the new HC and the timing of the GM is not necessarily relevant to that process.

Hopefully Woody was just tripping over his tongue again, and the Wolf/Casserly team has already explained to him that that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

Vikings asst. GM George Paton is staying in Minnesota. Will NOT interview with Bears or Jets.

Not that I wanted him anyway.  Minnesota is doing ok but nothing great over the last 7 years when Paton has been there.   Anyway, could serve as fodder for this Woody discussion (not enough power for GM...)

Hopefully Woody was just tripping over his tongue again, and the Wolf/Casserly team has already explained to him that that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

That's the only thing to hope at this point - but this doesn't sound like a slip-up “If that comes first, I’ll definitely do that.” - I've now written that three times in this thread because I don't think people are getting it...

As a Jet fan Woody's words are incredibly frustrating.

I think Arthur Blank stays out of the football side of things. The other 2 + Cleveland, Miami, Indianapolis(BIG TIME)TB, Redskins and Raiders can be added to that list!

perhaps, but I see him on the sidelines a LOT.  that to me is not what good owners do. You rarely see Steelers, Giants, pats owners on sidelines.

Is it possible that W&C have already identified and agreed with the GM they want in a secret deal? Perhaps he's involved with a playoff team right now and does not want this being a distraction for the team. If so, he gives them his 4 or 5 coaching candidates and they start the selection process. After the prospective candidates team is out of the PO's (1-4 weeks) he gets the job. Maybe they have to move on his candidates quickly. Just a thought

Archived