Anyone else think Woody will blow this? - Woody says he will! (Merged)

Ex-Rex

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woody wants another Three Amigos situation where he, the GM and coach are velcro'd at the hip.  The little twerp wants to be "one of the guys" so badly.  He's the ringmaster in a second rate circus.  There will never be separation of church and state in Woody's fiefdom. 

Wasn't that from the press conference? If so, he said a few things there (e.g. Revis) that were a little loose.  I doubt he will force a head coach on another GM.   Plus, he may have said that to leave open the idea of hiring a big name coach that would name their own GM (e.g., Harbaugh).   Woody has his consultants, which is good.  let's see how the process goes.   Interviewing the seattle coaches is due dilligence given the limited time window where that can be done.

He said this at the presser the other day. I posted about it at that time and several times now.

If this was from the PC... my bad!

I read it on The Jets Blog, saw the date and assumed it was from today.

These bloggers sometime just change the dates on old articles to make them appear as new news.

If I spend hundreds of millions of dollars on business, you know what, I am going to make sure I have the final say in decisions that are major. 

Do I receive council? Of course But the final decision should lay with the one who signs the checks.

I know people hate to hear that, but Woody has earned that.

guys.. listen to the friggin PC..  he was saying it in the literal sense.  As in he's the one that will ultimately sign off on whoever they recommend.  No sh-t.

Nothing to see here..  at all.

this quote - “If that comes first, I’ll definitely do that.” doesn't sound like he's simply going to sign off....sounds like he's going to do what he wants and the if the GM happens to be hired by then he'll take his advice into consideration...

Nothing off the cuff about that ...

Woody says he’ll hire the head coach

December 31st, 2014 10:46 am

Jets owner Woody Johnson said he will hire the team’s next head coach.

“I think I’m going to ultimately be the one who hires the coach, but I will certainly listen to the new general manager,” Johnson said. “If that comes first, I’ll definitely do that.”

Johnson is being advised by Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf in the head coach and general manager search.

When the team hired John Idzik, Rex Ryan was already the head coach and the former GM did not have a chance to hire a head coach of his choosing.

Nothing wrong with what Woody said, but your thread title is certainly misleading. The new HC will be on Woody's payroll so he would be the one hiring him with the new GMs opinion. What if the new GM says he wants to hire Rich Kotite? Woody essentially said he will have to be ok with the new HC and his thinking. 

Although he tries to hide it, Woody is an extremely meddlesome owner. Anyone who believes that it wasn't Woody who demanded the acquisition of Tebow, despite Tannenbaum's claim that it was his own idea, needs to have his head examined.  Anyone who thinks that it was Idzik who refused to consider negotiating with Revis last off-season is an absolute fool.  Everyone knows it was Woody, notwithstanding his inappropriate commentary this week how he would have loved to have Revis at $12 million.  Not only is Woody meddlesome, he is a liar too.

Face it.  We are stuck with a dumb, inbred, clueless, silver-spoon owner who has never been personally successful at anything in his life outside of the charitable trust funds his family gave him to manage in order to keep him away from the J & J empire.  The man is a focking idiot.

This, you maybe 100% until he proves us wrong.

If I spend hundreds of millions of dollars on business, you know what, I am going to make sure I have the final say in decisions that are major. 

Do I receive council? Of course But the final decision should lay with the one who signs the checks.

He should have final say in the GM he hires to hire the HC - that's very reasonable...And he should trust that person, the expert to which he's handed the keys, to make that decision.

He's stating here he may or may not even wait for his expert to come in....

yeah, but any GM worth his salt is going to want to have full control.. meddlesome owners are a major detractor cause woody doesn't have the skill set required to pick the right person... the fact that the last GM didn't either is besides the point...  in any business really.. worked once for a privately owned ecommerce company, owner was a medical dr and thought he knew ecommerce better then people who have been doing it their whole life, results were predictable, high exec turnover, company was never profitable

guys.. listen to the friggin PC..  he was saying it in the literal sense.  As in he's the one that will ultimately sign off on whoever they recommend.  No sh-t.

Nothing to see here..  at all.

Exactly. Thank you. The HC will be on his payroll. 

yeah, but any GM worth his salt is going to want to have full control.. meddlesome owners are a major detractor cause woody doesn't have the skill set required to pick the right person... the fact that the last GM didn't either is besides the point... in any business really.. worked once for a privately owned ecommerce company, owner was a medical dr and thought he knew ecommerce better then people who have been doing it their whole life, results were predictable, high exec turnover, company was never profitable

+1 to all this.

A rare moment of clarity from CTM.

It doesn't matter when he said it (or if he meant it literally, whatever the **** that means). It's a dumb thing to say and a dumb way to do business and our best hope is that Casserly and Wolf beat some sense into him before any actual decisions get made.

should just borrow T0m's ball and gag and make woody wear it until the process is over

Archived