Jets consultant breaks silence: Coach hire may come before GM

Ken Schroy

Jets consultant breaks silence: Coach hire may come before GM

By Brian Costello

January 7, 2015 | 7:30pm

casserly.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Former Texans GM Charley Casserly has his fingers on the pulse of the Jets coach/GM search as one of Woody Johnson's two main consultants.
One question that has surrounded the Jets’ search for new leadership is which position will owner Woody Johnson fill first: the general manager or the head coach? It’s Gang Green’s version of the chicken or the egg. Consultant Charley Casserly shed some light on the organization’s thinking in a radio interview Wednesday. Casserly, who along with Ron Wolf is helping Johnson through the search process, made his first public comments since the search began on Tampa radio station 620 AM WDAE.

“In a perfect world, you hire the GM first and then hire the head coach, because it’s critical that you have a good working relationship between the two of them,” Casserly said. “And that’s the best way to get it. However, sometimes opportunities present themselves on a coach that you can get in competition with and you feel like you need to pull the trigger on the coach first. And then come back and hire a general manager. And where the head coach has input into it. But you pick the general manager and try to find the best marriage.” The Jets have interviewed six GM candidates and six head coaching candidates. All along the Jets have said they prefer to hire a GM first, but Casserly pointed out the other way can work. “Now people will say, ‘Well, that can’t work.’ Well, Seattle won the Super Bowl and that’s exactly what they did,” Casserly said. “They hired Pete Carroll first and then they hired John Schneider. [in] Kansas City, they hired Andy Reid first and then John Dorsey. So it absolutely can work. A lot of it depends on does the head coach have a relationship with somebody out there who’s going to be a viable general manager candidate? It also depends on the ego of the person coming in.” The Jets’ search is now 10 days old. They interviewed Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich on Wednesday for the coaching opening. They added another candidate to the general manager interview list, scheduling Buccaneers director of player personnel Jon Robinson for an interview. NFL Network reported that interview will be Thursday. Robinson spent 12 years with the Patriots before joining the Buccaneers last year. Robinson worked in New England from 2002-13, serving as director of college scouting from 2009-13. While in that role, the Patriots drafted Rob Gronkowski, Chandler Jones, Julian Edelman and Devin McCourty. Robinson began his career as an area scout and worked his way up. During that time, the Patriots won 10 division titles, four AFC championships and two Super Bowls. The Jets could be coming to the point where they need to make a decision on whom they want to invite for second interviews or if they need to add more candidates to either the GM or coaching pool. Ideally, the Jets would have a GM in place by the end of next week. The Senior Bowl is in two weeks, and that kicks the draft evaluation season into full swing. Casserly was asked if the New York media has any influence on the process. “Well, let me say this, Ron Wolf and I are involved in the process here,” Casserly said. “We don’t make the final decision. We make recommendations. I can tell you from my point of view and Ron’s point of view, we ignore it. You’ve got to ignore it. It’s a one-day deal for the press conference and then you go from there. “Now you’re going to have some people that have agendas, but most journalists are open-minded and want the team to win because it’s easier to cover the team when you win,” he added. “So, even though they don’t root for the team, they hope they win. … You can’t worry about what other people say. There’s a famous saying: ‘If you pay attention to the fans, you’ll end up sitting with the fans.’ ”

So it can work either way?  Good stuff right there. 

I don't think anything new is being said here, it's actually almost a verbatim to what Woody said about it working either way. Typical corporate speak, they don't want to box themselves in, it's "CYA" mentality.

I don't think anything new is being said here, it's actually almost a verbatim to what Woody said about it working either way. Typical corporate speak, they don't want to box themselves in, it's "CYA" mentality

ITS all about the bottom line.  Blah blah blah to placate the fans into thinking we are on the way to THE SUPERBOWL.

ITS all about the bottom line.  Blah blah blah to placate the fans into thinking we are on the way to THE SUPERBOWL.

Oh, no doubt. I think I say it at least once every post-season, it's all about selling "hope".

I don't think anything new is being said here, it's actually almost a verbatim to what Woody said about it working either way. Typical corporate speak, they don't want to box themselves in, it's "CYA" mentality.

My point exactly.   I think we're all just hungry for anything at this point. This is where it starts to get annoying. Aaaaaaaaaaan the arguing around here should pick up exponentially. 

Find us a guy the caliber of Carroll or Reid and it makes sense. But 99% of the time it's a HUGE mistake to hire the coach 1st. We will most likely be bringing another 1st time HC. No GM wants to be saddled with a situation like that.

Unless of course, they're going after someone like Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden..

Jusr a thought...

Where? The last part? I didn't get that. I got 'STFU Menish Mehta'.

I think the inference is we might be going after a coach that other people are interviewing as well.  Now, I don't know if that's actually Marrone...  My hope is that it's Bowles...

If there was a young Bill Parcells out there, you would not care about the GM, per se.  You would want to beat the competition to him. Supposedly there is no young Bill Parcells out there, but who knew who Bill Parcells was when the Giants named him?  I can see their logic.  I prefer the GM route.  They will probably go that route.  Unless they absolutely loved one of the coaches they interviewed.

Supposedly there is no young Bill Parcells out there, but who knew who Bill Parcells was when the Giants named him?

I was thinking the came thing with the Pete Carroll mention....everyone laughed at Seattle when they hired Carroll.  Now it doesn't look so dumb.  That's the one part of the article that made me feel better about the possibility of hiring HC before GM.

A few of these guys could turn out to have great coaching careers, just that nobody knows.  It's like the draft when so few of them have had HC experience.  Same with the GMs really.  As many of us rather they go GM first, even that doesn't guarantee a good relationship or that the guys can actually do the job they'll have been hired to do.

(and, you know, were Jets fans so I just remember what Lt. Spiers said to Blythe in Band of Brothers and I make it about us....  Once you accept the fact that you're already screwed, it makes it possible to function  normally as a fan. :confused0082: )

Criticize the results if you do not like it, not the process. 

So much that we don't know, and all we can do is wait until the results are known. I know it's hard, but everything else is superfluous banter.

Agreed. I would be patient. I like Woody letting it play out and not chasing after someone. Let it play out and see what happens.

Archived